A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Triss Started Seeds 3 - March 7th, 2006 at 04:31 AM
I checked my seed house today and LOOK what I found growing instead of plants. Well I found plants too but this surprised me.

[Linked Image]

Anyone else ever get this???
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 7th, 2006 at 04:37 AM
they look as healthy as the plants dont they...
looks good triss.
penny
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 7th, 2006 at 04:59 AM
Well they did before I pulled them out. Now they are in the garbage.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 7th, 2006 at 09:12 AM
Yep the starter soil I bought had a bunch of mushroom spore in it. I didn't bother to pull them out. The way I water I knew they'd be gone in a few days lol.

Hey Penny,

Glad to hear the peppers came up for you. Those sweet peppers were really good tasting so hopefully they will breed true and you'll get that great flavor too.

I got one of those deep dish trays from my hamburger this week. I put it up with the rest of my egg cartons. I think I already have enough trays for next year lol.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 7th, 2006 at 10:07 PM
wow, Triss - I have never had that happen - what kind of soil are you using?

I always use peat pellets to start my seeds - have a few soaking right now and am going to start a post on my seed starting soon.

I hope the rest of your seeds do not develope those, and that they grow well for you.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 12:43 AM
thanks for the idea tammy, i never thought about the meat trays, good tip.
i cant wait to taste the peppers, and i am so happy that spring is just around the corner!!
penny
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 01:18 AM
Definitely on the spring reference. I've finally got a few of the colder weather plants hanging outside during the day to get them hardened off. Next week they can start going into the garden. I need the indoor space lol. I also have to get a move on building that third tier. So much to do so little time lol.
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 01:23 AM
Hi all! I've been following this thread for about a week now, and I've been trying to post about what I've got so far, but it seems like everytime I start a post, something happens and it doesn't make it to the forum. So....I'm just going to jump in where I'm at and post my pics and other stuff later..........
I got oregano and broccoli today poking out! I've never done oregano before-should that go on my cool side or my warm side? (I know the broccoli goes on the cool).
This is very exciting! I grew my vegie garden from seed last year and it was very rewarding. This year, I've decided to try some flowers as well, seeing as I'm bored with the same old things they sell at the box stores.
So far, I'm having fairly good luck with everything except the onions. I have some concerns about legginess, especially with the marigolds, but I think I'll be OK.
When I get some more time later on, I'll post pics of what I've got going on-right now I hear the boys trying to beat each other up..........
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 01:43 AM
i am still so excited about my easter egg plant, i was told by so many people that they are hard to grow and might not grow at all and i have 5 out of the 6 pots with healthy little sprouts, and my peppers are loving their enviroment too.
happy gardening everyone...
penny
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 01:47 AM
Sounds great Rozy! Yes..oregano likes warm.

I started my red onions and my brussel sprouts today. These can be put outside as soon as I can get into the ground. It's still a bit early for me to be starting any tomatoes, peppers, etc but it's warming up more and more everyday. Spring is just around the corner. flw
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 01:55 AM
hi christina,

i have started peppers and some cherry tomatoes and lots of flowers, i think its to early yet for beans and other things like that. i also started chilean glory vine, 8 pots and they are growing like mad.
i will pm you in the next day or two about the garden show.
penny
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 02:02 AM
Rosy,

What kind of onions did you plant. Mine have all been really easy care and I'm a beginner. I'll help if I can.
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 03:13 AM
Christina-maybe you could clear this up for me--I started some brussel sprouts about a month ago, more or less, but then I read that they're supposed to mature at the end of the season, so they shouldn't be started until like mid-summer-ish--is that correct? You're colder than my zone 6-could that be why?

Tammy-I think I planted regular old yellow onions. The probs I've been having: no sprouts at all (kept in a flat that's covered, warm & moist). If they do sprout, and I take them out of the covered flat, they seem to just STOP. So I started leaving them in the covered flat until they're fully up and standing, and then it seems like they may be damping off. They just kind of flop over and then wither. I have them in direct light on my cool side (60-70F). I'm about to give up on them-I have a bunch seeded, but it's starting to get late, so if I don't see any results soon, I guess I'll have to try again next year...
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 04:16 AM
Rozy..brussel sprouts take a LONG time to mature, I've read that some people leave them until after the first frost claiming they taste better then. This is why I've started mine so early. You'll be fine. As far as our zones..I'm about the same as you. It's funny, the US Hardiness Zone map says I'm 5b but the Canadian Hardiness Zone map clearly states I'm 6a??? I just say I'm somewhere inbetween.
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 04:18 AM
I started my main crop tomato seeds yesterday, as well as some new hot peppers I just got in the mail. I also potted up 6 of my 7 early tomatoes in their 10 inch pots. They'll be going out into the garden in about 3 weeks.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
Hum yellow onions are usually started from sets rather than seeds. But I found a fair amount of information on them. Hopefully something here may be of assistance.

An important aspect of onion development is the length of day or photoperiod. Photoperiod, along with temperature, controls when the onions form bulbs. Some onion varieties are short-day in response, and form bulbs when the days are 12 hours or less in length. Other varieties are long-day plants, forming bulbs when there are 15 or more hours of daylight. This effect of day length makes some onion varieties unsuitable for northern climates because they begin to bulb when the plants are too small. The influence of day length also requires that Sweet Spanish and Bermuda onions be grown from plants rather than seed in Ohio.

Unfavorable growing conditions may result in onions bolting or sending up flower stalks. If flower stalks should develop, carefully cut them from the plant immediately or bulbing will be reduced.

Soil Requirements
Onions grow best in a loose, well-drained soil of high fertility and plenty of organic matter. Avoid heavier soils such as clay and silt loams unless modified with organic matter to improve aeration and drainage. Onions are sensitive to highly acid soils and grow best when the pH is between 6.2 and 6.8.

Fertilizers
As for most vegetables, lime and fertilizers are best applied using the results of a soil test as a guide. Arrangements for soil testing can be made through your local County Extension office. Fertilizers of a 1-2-2 ratio (5-10-10, for example) are good for onion production. As the onion plant's root system is very limited, high soil fertility is essential for good production.

Establishing the Planting
Onions should be planted early in the spring as soon as the soil can be worked. Onion seed is sown 1/2 inch deep, while sets are planted one to two inches deep. A three-inch plant spacing is desirable. Rows should be 12 to 18 inches or more apart depending on the method of cultivation. For wide row planting, plants or sets are placed on 3-inch centers. Onions are ideal for wide row planting, but keep in mind that weeding must then be done by hand.
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 09:06 AM
A way around the day length requirements for onions is to plant in the fall. Some onions are hardy down to 10 degrees F. I have good luck with Walla Walla, Olympic and usually Ailsa Craig, although last winter they didn't make it. I protected them as usual, but we had a couple of unusually low nights--negative 5 and negative 1 degrees. Walla Walla, and Olympic made it through fine. I generally plant my onion seeds the first week in August.
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 8th, 2006 at 01:21 PM
Hmmm....Thanks for all the info! The more I think about it, though, I wonder if I just got a bad batch of seeds? I haven't had problems with anything else sprouting, and seeing as I'm having problems every step of the way, I wonder if that could be it? (It's always easier to blame someone else than admit your own defeat, right?) I'll have to see what happens.
I peaked at the pot marigolds tonight and they're starting to send their roots down already-I just seeded them on Sunday! This is so exciting! Happy seeding everyone!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 01:28 AM
Thanks rosy.

I definitely will try starting some onion seeds in the fall if I can find the seeds. They aren't real easy to come by around here.

Well the second bunch of morning glories are comming up much better than the first bunch did. But you can't really see them in the picture. But you can the first set since they are bigger of course lol. So I have seven of the 8 vines I wanted. Hopefully all of the colors are represented. I hope to have light pink, light blue and violet.

[Linked Image]

The next shot is of my Zinnia sprouts. There are about 14 here. I had hoped for 36 but after two plantings this is all I managed. I will try more when there is more window space available. fortunately they do sprout very quickly.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 01:40 AM
hi tammy,
all the flowers look good and i see the meat trays you mentioned yesturday-good idea thumbup
penny
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 02:23 AM
Actually that's not the type of tray I was discussing. That one is probably 4 inches tall and white plastic rather than the styrofoam like you see here. These are great for saucers to catch excess water but I wouldn't try to plant in them they aren't tall enough I don't think.
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 02:32 AM
Looking good Tammy! Are the morning glories annuals or perennials? And what kind of light do they need once outside? I have a wooden stockade fence about 10 feet from my kitchen window. I would love to grow a nice vine on it, but I'm afraid of A)the vine ruining the fence and B) the vine traveling over the fence to my anal-retentive neighbor's side. The spot gets 1/2 sun, if that (it would be on the north side of the fence)
Speaking of vines, does anybody have any tips on how to get ivy to grow up the house without it actually attaching to the house?
Not much to report on my seeds today. I have 1 new onion poking its head up. See what happens with this one. The pot marigolds are really interesting to watch. Later I'll take some pics to show exactly what I'm talking about, but it's so neat how I laid these hard little things down on the soil and a few days later they're sending out roots!
I'm getting a bit nervous about this weekend: we're going to Boston, leaving Friday AM, returning Sunday PM. I've got my sister in law, mother in law and niece (8) looking after my seedlings. My niece loves the spray bottle, so they should get plenty of moisture while I'm gone. I just have to make sure to leave lots of post-it-notes around reminding the adults to turn on/off the lights. We'll see what happens...cross your fingers for my seedlings!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 02:51 AM
I have a few morning glories growing too!
Scarlet O'Hara variety.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 03:06 AM
Scarlet O'Hara sounds really pretty. I'm picturing really really red am I close? That's a bunch of them. What are your plans for them?

Rozy, about the morning glories they are self seeding annuals that some people think of as weeds lol. They will travel because of the self seeding and because they are very easy to grow. They like full sun but I wouldn't put it past them to grow in less than optimal circumstances lol.

I keep forgetting to mention the crocuses. I have 3 blooming and one that will be up tomorrow. One is pure white and two are a satiny dark purple and they are all gorgeous. I hope that they will last long enough for the rest to join them. I would like to see them all blooming at the same time. If not this year then maybe next year.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 03:14 AM
Yep, they're really red.... thumbup I'm gonna put them along my chain link fence! grinnnn
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 05:20 AM
Let's see. Today I started Hot Tepin and Prairie Fire peppers. Transplanted a few Hibiscus.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 06:04 AM
Sounds good Triss!

I don't love the pellets, but yep I do have a few things started in them!
[Linked Image]

Here's most of my seeds...I have a big windowbox planter behind the front ones. Plus the seeds on top....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 06:24 AM
That looks great, loz. How long ago did you start those seeds?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 06:35 AM
Some of them have been started for 4 or more weeks....I got a little ahead of myself....but I'm hoping it warms up soon so I can move them out to the little plastic greenhouse.

My nasturtium! grinnnn
[Linked Image]
Posted By: comfrey Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 07:00 AM
Wow Loz..Looks like you are off to a great start!
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 11:11 AM
Looks so good Loz!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 11:20 AM
The nasturtium looks good, loz.

I'm trying the dwarf variety this year, because mine usually get too leggy and don't last all summer. Have you ever grown those?
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 11:53 AM
Great setup Loz! I'm trying to figure out how I can get "shelves" for next year. Unfortunately, my whole area may be gone by then-we need/want to put a new back door there--our yard is really on the side of the house, so it's kinda tough with the kids going all the way around to the front or back. But anyway, I ........... mad mad mad I was just about to load my pics up to photobucket, but they're down for maintenance! Like I said-every time I try to do this, something happens!! wavey
PS: Tammy: any pics of those crocuses? I would love to see one right about now. I noticed a couple of clumps growing in my yard the other day, but it's still pretty early for them here yet.
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 12:33 PM
OK-Let's try this again....
This is my setup: [Linked Image]
I have another light to go in front of the window, but I have to exchange it for one that works (thanks Lowes! mad )
Here are my peppers: [Linked Image] marigolds: [Linked Image]
Eggplants: [Linked Image] and Brussel sprouts: [Linked Image] (these have gotten a bit leggy)
That's everything that's fully sprouted right now.
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 12:38 PM
Oh ya-my one pitiful (dead?) onion: [Linked Image] (the one still in the pellet) Duh
And here's my little pot marigold seed, sending out it's first root: [Linked Image]
I think that's just the coolest thing!

Well-it looks like I did it!!! Now that I've got that done with (finally), I'm going to bed to try to plan a back flower garden..........
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 01:10 PM
Looks really good Rozy!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 09:22 PM
seeing all these pictures, i need to get a digital camera-soon.
the last pot that had my easter egg plant in it has sprouted, so thats all 6 now, so here is hoping they dont die before i get them outside.
penny
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 10:42 PM
Well about the only thing I can add to my list of accomplishments regarding the seedlings is that the zinnia and the snapdragons have joined the larkspur and malva outside. All appear to be handling the hardening off process very well which is a blessing.

I can't remember if I mentioned that the peonies have sprouted but they have. I have 4 sprouts of one and 2 of another. Out of the six I started with that isn't to many but it's very much better than one.

I'll see if I can get a picture of them. So far none of my pictures of them have come out well enough to post. But I will keep trying.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 9th, 2006 at 10:56 PM
I'm not very good at taking pictures. This was about as good as I can get and I can barely see the purple ones. I do have one of the spotted ones comming up. Maybe it will be up tomorrow

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 10th, 2006 at 04:07 AM
Looking good Tammy! I love seeing things sprout up. I noticed some daffs that I'd planted last year starting to come up in my back garden. My other daffs that are just kind of scattered next to the house have been up since January, so we'll see how they make out this year. Last year, they popped up early (not as early as Jan. tho!) and they just kinda fizzled. The blooms looked "mushy". I got my first tomato sprout today! And the pot marigolds are really going nuts now! I'm getting paranoid about leaving them for the weekend tho-there are post-it-notes everywhere! Well, better start to pack--happy sprouting!!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 10th, 2006 at 04:28 AM
Yeah, leaving plants doesn't always work. I'll cross my fingers for you and send up a little prayer.

I have a petunia sitting at the bottom of one of my impatiens and I really need to separate the two. They've been together since birth and I'm alittle worried that I'll loose one or the other but they really need to be separated. Well wish me luck I guess.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 10th, 2006 at 10:29 AM
Looks good rozy!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 10th, 2006 at 09:23 PM
It's a good day in the starter indoor garden today lol. I have a purple hycinthia bean vine sprout and another scallion sprout. One of the Black Oil Sunflowers has sprouted. I have plenty of morning glory sprouts for my miniature trellis. And everything that I'm hardening off is still alive and looking good. So I am one happy camper. More of the crocuses are up. I wish I were a better camera person so I could get a good picture. I may try another shot later today. I think I have to wait for the afternoon sun and then get up on the slope to take the shot. Hope that works lol.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 11th, 2006 at 12:10 AM
Everyone is having so much fun with their seeds!!! thumbup Looks great Rozy! grinnnn

Lynne, I'm not a huge nasturtium fan...they got planted this year by accident actually....I don't even remember planting them. laugh

My crocuses are starting to bloom! grinnnn
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 11th, 2006 at 01:23 AM
I just looked in on my brussel sprouts and my onions I started on Tuesday...they're all poking out! My first babies of the season...they're so cute. smile laugh I think I'll name them. wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 11th, 2006 at 01:45 AM
That's great Christina!!! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 11th, 2006 at 01:50 AM
How easy are brussel sprouts to grow and do they like sun or shade???
Posted By: comfrey Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 11th, 2006 at 08:21 AM
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
I just looked in on my brussel sprouts and my onions I started on Tuesday...they're all poking out! My first babies of the season...they're so cute. smile laugh I think I'll name them. wink
You are so funny Christina!!!!
laugh laugh laugh
So what are thier names?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 11th, 2006 at 09:58 PM
I have more sprouts, All of the scallions have poked up a blade. Four sunflowers have come up and two brandywine. This is so cool. Today I'm going to turn the compost bin and then take some of the finished compost for the front container. Then I can start planting in there. I'm looking forward to doing that.

Well I added the larkspur to the container so now there are petunias and larkspur in there. And while I was doing that I found a 3rd type of plant in there with the larkspur and malva. This time I have no clue what they could be. But I'll leave them in the starter pot for now and maybe plant them out later and see what blooms if anything. I must have been having a very interesting day the day I planted that flat. Well hopefully my next attempt at counselling will work better than the past attempts.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 12th, 2006 at 12:51 AM
Wow, you're moving on with your seeds Tammy....sounds good. I have a ton of mysetery seeds here....LOL I never label...and I know I should I just get so excited to plant that I forget.

Here are the seeds I bought last night at Walmart for 25 cents a pack.

Ageratum Blue Mink--floss flower
Balsam--Camellia Mix
Cantaloupe--Hearts of Gold
Canterbury Bells--Campanula
Coleus--Rainbow Mix Pelleted
Morning Glory--Pearly Gates
Portulaca--Moss Rose Pelleted
Sunflower--Autumn Beauty
Zinnia--Candy Cane Mix
Zinnia--Thumbelina

thumbup All of those for $2.50!!! Before I found the 25 cent seeds I bought the dollar packs by burpee.... :rolleyes: Now I discovered the 25 cent seeds I'll never by the Burpee ones again.
Posted By: markr Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 12th, 2006 at 07:14 AM
well i couldnt wait any longer.
so the last couple of days i made a start.
1 tray tomato
2 trays cabbage
2 trays leek
1 tray sweet peppers
2 1/2 trays lettuce
2 trays rudbeckia
2 trays alyssum
4 trays lobelia
2 trays petunia
1 tray sweet pea
so thats my early ones started, second batch i will start next week.
Mark.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 12th, 2006 at 07:20 AM
What? No brussel sprouts? Kinda' ironic...cuz I named my sprouts "Mark". wink laugh
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 12th, 2006 at 07:30 AM
See, there's 2 of you, Mark #1 and Mark #2

[Linked Image]
Posted By: markr Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 12th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
no sprouts yet christina,
nice name for a sprout!!!
now im just gonna have to name my cabbages??
christina, p clp
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 12th, 2006 at 07:41 AM
I'd rather be a sweet pea. wink
Posted By: markr Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 12th, 2006 at 07:50 AM
O.K scratch the cabbages.
how about highly scented sweet pea christina kissies
Mark.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 12th, 2006 at 04:40 PM
I didn't see any leek seeds when I was out looking around. I'll have to wear my glasses next time. I was happy to just find the scallions.

Yep I'm getting as much planted as I can so I have room to harden off the rest so I can begin planting the seeds that require warmer weather before I transplant. I've learned from trial and error that the celosia really prefer it warm so they aren't going out until at least mid april.

Tomorrow after church I'll probably take the morning glories out to start hardening off. They are alittle young but the weather is really good for the next couple of days according to the forcast and I want to take advantage of that while I can. And the morning glories are so hardy I think I can get away with it.
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 13th, 2006 at 06:43 AM
I am gonna start the hardening off process for my Hyacinth Bean Vine. They are getting really big so they will move from under the lights, to the livingroom windows. Lots of sun all day but still the warmth of the house. Then I will have room for the next batch of seedlings under the lights.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 13th, 2006 at 08:35 AM
My hycinthia bean vines are just breaking ground. I'm really excited about them. I've never grown anything like them so this is going to be great. I plan to try and keep them indoors as long as possible just to see if I might be able to over winter them. Since it worked for the portulaca's now I want to try it with all of the tropicals lol.
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 13th, 2006 at 10:21 AM
Hi all! I'm back! (went to boston for the weekend)--and all of my seedlings survived. I think I made my sister in law so nervous--when I talked to her at one point over the weekend, the first thing she said to me was that the plants were alive-lol! I actually had several sprouts-the Torenia sprouted 2, I got 2 tomatoes, 2 broccoli, 2 onions, a couple of purple aranthanea (sp?), a couple of mums, and 1/2 of my pot marigolds. Oh ya, and before i left, not only did my coleus all sprout, but I saw some daff sprouts in the corner of my new front bed. The area used to be dark, damp, no color, all overgrown bushes. It's so exciting to see some new life there, especially knowing that it signals color soon ahead! Anyway-sounds like everyone is coming along well! Keep up the good work all!
Posted By: Patty S Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 13th, 2006 at 12:48 PM
I have a question for those of you who are starting seeds.

Do you have little Breakfast Bats flying around your starter trays? There are these little fruit fly things hanging out under my Grow lights & I don't know where they came from, or if they've got ideas about snacking on my seedlings when they poke their heads through! Duh
Posted By: comfrey Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 13th, 2006 at 01:03 PM
Well I have tomato seedlings...And have started seeds for the rest of my tomatoes, peppers and a few other things. I forgot to take pictures of the shelves full of seed starting trays..will get it tomorrow and add it to the other pictures in the album. If you want to look at my make shift plant room and seedlings go here
flw flw flw flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 13th, 2006 at 09:16 PM
I get the gnats too. I'm not sure where they come from. I haven't seen any damage to my plants yet.

I put the morning glories into the container today. I hope most of them survive. After they get alittle longer I'll add the trellis and then intertwine them. Hopefully it will work the way I want them too. All I can do is cross my fingers.

Well I started the cleomes today. All three colors: white, pink and purple. And of course I have leftovers lol.
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 14th, 2006 at 01:30 AM
Patty, I have not seen any buggers flying around in the house or around my trays.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 14th, 2006 at 11:36 PM
Woohoo, I got the miniature snapdragons out in their flower bed and most of the rest of the malva planted on the shady slope and the petunias out in the containers and all in time to see if they can withstand nighttime temperatures of 36*F. My landlord asked me if the larkspur I planted was a weed. It certainly looks like one. Hopefully I didn't trade for weed seeds. That would make me look really foolish wouldn't it? But as I told him if we don't like those I've got another 170 varieties of seeds to try lol. We are bound to find something that we can agree on lol.

I forgot to mention that all of the crocuses are in bloom and I have my first daffodin bud. So they are next I believe. And then the tulips.

I have two tulips that ended up in the middle of a mass of mums that I didn't get to cut down last year. Getting to them is going to be an adventure I guess. They are in a hard to get place so I'm not sure how I'm going to pull this off but I'll think of something I hope lol.

Well I got out there and guess what...there are a whole bunch of bulbs in that area. I have no idea what they are but there are quite a few so I should have something sometime in the future lol.

I also got out in the glad bed and sprinkled the chinese house seeds around and gave them a good watering in. Hopefully something will happen. If not I do have more seeds lol.

So it's been a very busy day I guess. Hopefully I'll have a bunch more rain and everything will settle in and do some growing.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 12:28 AM
wavey hi tk.

its so exciting to see little ones coming up isnt it, i still have mine inside but it was nice on the weekend and did a little raking and i have crocus's and hyacinth's coming up, which surprises me because when they were planted in the fall i thought the squirrels took them all, so it was a nice surprise to see them
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 12:44 AM
I'm glad they were still there for you. I think I may have to think about adding some hycinthia to my bulb bed. That would be really cool. I love having early bloomers.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 02:14 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by markr:
<strong> no sprouts yet christina,
nice name for a sprout!!!
now im just gonna have to name my cabbages??
christina, kissies wink laugh

Tammy, it's been great reading your threads,
you're a blooming gardener... and it's wonderful
to hear about all of your success's so far... thumbup
You've got soooooooo many plants going..
I can not wait to see pictures when everything
gets planted and fills in..

Rozy, you too, I love seeing your pictures..

Loz, yours are lookin' good.. how many more weeks before planting time..
you'll be havin' nasturiums down to the floor by the time comes to
put them out side,
and you'll have instant flowers on them...
I love those flowers, very prolific and the honey bees love them...
(ps you can eat them with cream cheese and chives or garlic
or the likes of stuff, they're edible)

Triss, you're are lookin' good too..

I wish I could start mine, I still have a number of weeks away..
*still looking for a heater*
waaaaaaaaaa..

Keep up the good work everyone...
I'm living vicariously thru your seedlings..

Thanks for sharing all the great pictures and stories...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 03:03 AM
Loz, yours are lookin' good.. how many more weeks before planting time..
you'll be havin' nasturiums down to the floor by the time comes to
put them out side,
and you'll have instant flowers on them...
I love those flowers, very prolific and the honey bees love them...
(ps you can eat them with cream cheese and chives or garlic
or the likes of stuff, they're edible)
I know...they really will be down to the floor before too long! laugh I'm hoping to move most of my plants out to the plastic greenhouse thing by the end of this month....they are all growing beautifully. thumbup
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 04:06 AM
Hi all! Could the little flying buggers be springtails? I know they like it in moist areas. I forget how to get rid of them, but I don't think they do much harm.
Everything's looking good for my babies. Everything is sprouting nicely except for the onamental banana tree-does anyone know anything about those things?
I looked at my front bed this morning and there are crocuses and daffs popping up all over the place. I have to dig up a before pic and then do an "after" pic for you guys to really appreciate this (don't know if you remember-we were painting the house last year and ripped EVERYTHING out).
The only seedlings that I'm a little disappointed in are my poor pot marigolds. Alot of them sprouted when I was away over the weekend, but the cover was left on and I think several of them "dampened off".
TK-you are so ambitious! And it sounds like your landlord is getting into this right along with you. Wasn't he a little reluctant last year?
They're calling for temps down in the 30s again later this week (daytime), so it will be a while before I get anything out frown Keep posting all these pics to keep us northerners inspired!
Posted By: markr Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 06:52 AM
well i like a challenge!!
so here goes!
ive named my two trays of leeks.
WEEZIE'S
cant wait for them to germinate grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 07:08 AM
lol@markr you do like to live dangerously don't you? lol.

Well I decided that I wanted some bellflowers so they are now in my pretty new planter. I don't know what color they are but it's going to be great.

And the other new planter got a dwarf crepe mrytle. It's been a busy day I guess. I'll probably be planting more tomorrow. Where I'll put them I'm not sure but I'll find someplace lol.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 11:35 AM
Originally posted by markr:
well i like a challenge!!
so here goes!
ive named my two trays of leeks.
WEEZIE'S
cant wait for them to germinate grinnnn
Originally posted by tkhooper:
lol@markr you do like to live dangerously don't you? lol.
He surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre does, doesn't he???
dev dev dev

No, that's funny, WEEZIE LEEKS...
hahahahaha..

Now who's he gonna name the beets' after.

(and the lettuce...
could call it a "Honeymoon salad,
Let us alone, without dressing shocked shk wink laugh )
(get it, let us = lettuce)

okay, getting carried away...
Posted By: comfrey Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 12:54 PM
laugh laugh laugh laugh

You all are so funny!!! See what you started Christina, name that veggie....LOL
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 01:18 PM
Laughing here!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 10:48 PM
You won't be laughin' when he names the
the peas after youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu,
TRISS PEAS...hehehehehe wink wink laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 10:49 PM
Andddddddddd Comfy Comfrey....
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 15th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
well I'm glad no one named the morning glories. They didn't survive the cold snap. I wonder how long this will continue. The 10 day forecast didin't show a let up. Anyone have any idea?

The carolina jasmine hasn't sprouted and it's been about forever so I'm thinking I put the red cypress vine in to germinate. I've got to be able to get at least one vine going here. Either that the the purple passion is going to spend the summer outside lol.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 12:42 AM
Sorry to hear that Tammy....Looks like this cooler weather will be around for a while. :p
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 12:50 AM
No, morning glories do not like early cold weather, they like warm soil when they are starting out...

But go figure, the seeds can survive outdoors,
if grown outside the year before and reseeds' it's self.. in some cases..

I have had them reseed by the base of my house,
I am looking forward to seeing if some reseed in the raised bed I did this summer between the two houses/driveways.....

It's snowing again here today, so no more spring weather. eek eek eek
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 02:47 AM
How about Triss' Sweet Peas??? Fits with me and my lil sweet peas all running and growing around here!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 02:52 AM
Yeah, but Triss Peas sounds funnier!!! wink wink laugh kissies
Posted By: Triss Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 02:54 AM
LOL I have lots and lots of PEEs but not to many PEAS laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Thanks Weezie, I needed the laughs this AM!!!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 05:10 AM
That's ok. I'm soaking some red cypress vine and some cardinal climber vine one way or another I will have vines lol.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 10:27 PM
Well today I planted the red cypress vine and the cardinal climber vine and I transplanted the love lies bleeding and the desert honeysuckle and the chinese lanterns. I actually left the desert honeysuckle in the egg cartons to long. The tap root had sunk itself into the carton material lol. I need to plant more of the chinese lanterns but it will probably wait another day or so. I also notice that the hycinthia bean vine doesn't play well with others so from now on only one bean per pot lol. I've also notice that the cinnamon basil doesn't transplant well so it will all so be only a couple of plants per final container so I don't have to watch them die. I harvested the large cinnamon basil today and made pesto with the harvest. It was only a half a cup but I had to do it because it was trying to flower everywhere. Hopefully it will stop that in the near future.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 11:18 PM
hi tammy,
i have ordered love lies bleeding from a catalogue and they are sending the red and the green, i actually like the green better then the red, and i planted some more of your pepper seeds, i cant wait for them
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 11:33 PM
Here's my red one....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 11:36 PM
i had never seen the green ones and i thought they looked reaaly pretty
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 11:53 PM
Where did you see/find them??
Just curious, I have alot of the wild one's,
and realllllllly dislike those..
Would like to see the pictures of the green..
If it's the one I'm thinking' of, I don't remember going oooooh and ahhhhhh about it,
cause it reminded me of the wild variety..
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 16th, 2006 at 11:57 PM
i will check the name of the catalogue, i have gotten a few of them, the green ones look identical to the red ones, very pretty, once i get mine i can send some to you if you'd like.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 12:05 AM
Google PIGWEED, that is what the wild one green one is called, and I have that stuff galorrre around here, *came in a load of my last supposed top soil* and its' an easy baby weed to pull out, but once it gets ahold of a root system in the regular ground and you can't get it out easily..
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 12:16 AM
Good luck with them Penny. Did you order the pelletized ones? the seeds are pretty small at least for this tired old eyes. If not you may want to mix the seeds with the sand like someone was telling me too. I ended but with clusters and the plants have such delicate stems that I'm having to leave them that way. I'm afraid trying to thin them I would end up killing them all.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 12:42 AM
thats not what they look like at all, i checked pigweed and thats not it, it is green and the same as red, but green instead
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 03:29 AM
They are cousins's though...
If you take a look at any info on Amaranth,
that's what the family comes from,
Googled for Green Amaranth

And it'll say, Pigweed...

But the hybridizers, breed out the "Weedie" looking stuff and breed for the better lookie,
or better behaving traits...

And then they come up with the stuff we buy..
Honest..
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
Is on the "green" one you saw,
a long tail, like on the red/pink one
I posted????
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 03:32 AM
Joseph's Coat is in this same catagory,
Google that, "Joseph's Coat Plant" (Amaranthus tricolor) and those are weed cousins too...
I was just eyeballin' a package of those seeds
at Wally~World, just about an hour ago....
They are veryyyy pretty, and brightly colored...
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 03:35 AM
ya it is, infact i remember the place i ordered it from, its called florabunda seeds.com, it looks exactly like the one you posted but a lime green color, i typed in green love lies bleeding and it went to the site i ordered from, like i said i have to many catalogues on go laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 03:38 AM
I love catalogs, and you can NEVER have ENOUGH
catalogs... I have them in my car, beside my bed, beside the couch, in the bathroom, beside my computer here, I could never have enough.....
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 03:46 AM
it seems i get 1 or 2 a week, i am getting some that i dont even remember asking for, but thats fine by me, did you check out the site yet, if you cant find it, try putting in the green love lies bleeding, if it is a weed i dont want it, but in the picture it sure looked nice
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 03:51 AM
are the wild ones the ones you can grind into flour? I am so tempted to try that. It's suppose to produce a nutty flavored flour. Do you know anything about that?
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 03:57 AM
no i havent heard of that Duh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 05:19 AM
Originally posted by tkhooper:
are the wild ones the ones you can grind into flour? I am so tempted to try that. It's suppose to produce a nutty flavored flour. Do you know anything about that?
Tammy,
Do a Google search and type in
"Rodale's Grain Amaranth"
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 05:27 AM
Penny,
The Green Love Lies Bleeding is a pretty plant,
I think you'll like it...
The one with that name, has been hybridized to get that longgggggggg trailing effect, the same as the pink...

I am just saying, it reminds me, personally of the weed one... and I am on a limited space, and if I had to pick between the two, hands down,
it would be the pink again....

I found your picture/place...

Green Love Lies Bleeding at Florabundaseeds.com

I love that catalog...
I used to get it, but I didn't order anything from it...
It was such a sad story with that place, broke my heart so to speak..
The lady and husband that did that place, she died of cancer, a couple of years back.. and they are still doing the place, in her memory... gosh, it would have to be with I'd say 5 years ago she died...
She LOVED flowers I guess from what I read...
Always wanted to order from there, but $$$ being short, I never did... eek
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Started Seeds 3 - March 17th, 2006 at 05:37 AM
flw flw flw flw CLOSED flw flw flw flw
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]