This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#151687 March 12th, 2006 at 07:14 AM
well i couldnt wait any longer.
so the last couple of days i made a start.
1 tray tomato
2 trays cabbage
2 trays leek
1 tray sweet peppers
2 1/2 trays lettuce
2 trays rudbeckia
2 trays alyssum
4 trays lobelia
2 trays petunia
1 tray sweet pea
so thats my early ones started, second batch i will start next week.
Mark.

#151688 March 12th, 2006 at 07:20 AM
What? No brussel sprouts? Kinda' ironic...cuz I named my sprouts "Mark". wink laugh

#151689 March 12th, 2006 at 07:30 AM
See, there's 2 of you, Mark #1 and Mark #2

[Linked Image]

#151690 March 12th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
no sprouts yet christina,
nice name for a sprout!!!
now im just gonna have to name my cabbages??
christina, p clp

#151691 March 12th, 2006 at 07:41 AM
I'd rather be a sweet pea. wink

#151692 March 12th, 2006 at 07:50 AM
O.K scratch the cabbages.
how about highly scented sweet pea christina kissies
Mark.

#151693 March 12th, 2006 at 04:40 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I didn't see any leek seeds when I was out looking around. I'll have to wear my glasses next time. I was happy to just find the scallions.

Yep I'm getting as much planted as I can so I have room to harden off the rest so I can begin planting the seeds that require warmer weather before I transplant. I've learned from trial and error that the celosia really prefer it warm so they aren't going out until at least mid april.

Tomorrow after church I'll probably take the morning glories out to start hardening off. They are alittle young but the weather is really good for the next couple of days according to the forcast and I want to take advantage of that while I can. And the morning glories are so hardy I think I can get away with it.

#151694 March 13th, 2006 at 06:43 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
I am gonna start the hardening off process for my Hyacinth Bean Vine. They are getting really big so they will move from under the lights, to the livingroom windows. Lots of sun all day but still the warmth of the house. Then I will have room for the next batch of seedlings under the lights.

#151695 March 13th, 2006 at 08:35 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
My hycinthia bean vines are just breaking ground. I'm really excited about them. I've never grown anything like them so this is going to be great. I plan to try and keep them indoors as long as possible just to see if I might be able to over winter them. Since it worked for the portulaca's now I want to try it with all of the tropicals lol.

#151696 March 13th, 2006 at 10:21 AM
Hi all! I'm back! (went to boston for the weekend)--and all of my seedlings survived. I think I made my sister in law so nervous--when I talked to her at one point over the weekend, the first thing she said to me was that the plants were alive-lol! I actually had several sprouts-the Torenia sprouted 2, I got 2 tomatoes, 2 broccoli, 2 onions, a couple of purple aranthanea (sp?), a couple of mums, and 1/2 of my pot marigolds. Oh ya, and before i left, not only did my coleus all sprout, but I saw some daff sprouts in the corner of my new front bed. The area used to be dark, damp, no color, all overgrown bushes. It's so exciting to see some new life there, especially knowing that it signals color soon ahead! Anyway-sounds like everyone is coming along well! Keep up the good work all!

#151697 March 13th, 2006 at 12:48 PM
I have a question for those of you who are starting seeds.

Do you have little Breakfast Bats flying around your starter trays? There are these little fruit fly things hanging out under my Grow lights & I don't know where they came from, or if they've got ideas about snacking on my seedlings when they poke their heads through! Duh

#151698 March 13th, 2006 at 01:03 PM
Well I have tomato seedlings...And have started seeds for the rest of my tomatoes, peppers and a few other things. I forgot to take pictures of the shelves full of seed starting trays..will get it tomorrow and add it to the other pictures in the album. If you want to look at my make shift plant room and seedlings go here
flw flw flw flw

#151699 March 13th, 2006 at 09:16 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I get the gnats too. I'm not sure where they come from. I haven't seen any damage to my plants yet.

I put the morning glories into the container today. I hope most of them survive. After they get alittle longer I'll add the trellis and then intertwine them. Hopefully it will work the way I want them too. All I can do is cross my fingers.

Well I started the cleomes today. All three colors: white, pink and purple. And of course I have leftovers lol.

#151700 March 14th, 2006 at 01:30 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Patty, I have not seen any buggers flying around in the house or around my trays.

#151701 March 14th, 2006 at 11:36 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo, I got the miniature snapdragons out in their flower bed and most of the rest of the malva planted on the shady slope and the petunias out in the containers and all in time to see if they can withstand nighttime temperatures of 36*F. My landlord asked me if the larkspur I planted was a weed. It certainly looks like one. Hopefully I didn't trade for weed seeds. That would make me look really foolish wouldn't it? But as I told him if we don't like those I've got another 170 varieties of seeds to try lol. We are bound to find something that we can agree on lol.

I forgot to mention that all of the crocuses are in bloom and I have my first daffodin bud. So they are next I believe. And then the tulips.

I have two tulips that ended up in the middle of a mass of mums that I didn't get to cut down last year. Getting to them is going to be an adventure I guess. They are in a hard to get place so I'm not sure how I'm going to pull this off but I'll think of something I hope lol.

Well I got out there and guess what...there are a whole bunch of bulbs in that area. I have no idea what they are but there are quite a few so I should have something sometime in the future lol.

I also got out in the glad bed and sprinkled the chinese house seeds around and gave them a good watering in. Hopefully something will happen. If not I do have more seeds lol.

So it's been a very busy day I guess. Hopefully I'll have a bunch more rain and everything will settle in and do some growing.

#151702 March 15th, 2006 at 12:28 AM
wavey hi tk.

its so exciting to see little ones coming up isnt it, i still have mine inside but it was nice on the weekend and did a little raking and i have crocus's and hyacinth's coming up, which surprises me because when they were planted in the fall i thought the squirrels took them all, so it was a nice surprise to see them

#151703 March 15th, 2006 at 12:44 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm glad they were still there for you. I think I may have to think about adding some hycinthia to my bulb bed. That would be really cool. I love having early bloomers.

#151704 March 15th, 2006 at 02:14 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by markr:
<strong> no sprouts yet christina,
nice name for a sprout!!!
now im just gonna have to name my cabbages??
christina, kissies wink laugh

Tammy, it's been great reading your threads,
you're a blooming gardener... and it's wonderful
to hear about all of your success's so far... thumbup
You've got soooooooo many plants going..
I can not wait to see pictures when everything
gets planted and fills in..

Rozy, you too, I love seeing your pictures..

Loz, yours are lookin' good.. how many more weeks before planting time..
you'll be havin' nasturiums down to the floor by the time comes to
put them out side,
and you'll have instant flowers on them...
I love those flowers, very prolific and the honey bees love them...
(ps you can eat them with cream cheese and chives or garlic
or the likes of stuff, they're edible)

Triss, you're are lookin' good too..

I wish I could start mine, I still have a number of weeks away..
*still looking for a heater*
waaaaaaaaaa..

Keep up the good work everyone...
I'm living vicariously thru your seedlings..

Thanks for sharing all the great pictures and stories...

#151705 March 15th, 2006 at 03:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loz, yours are lookin' good.. how many more weeks before planting time..
you'll be havin' nasturiums down to the floor by the time comes to
put them out side,
and you'll have instant flowers on them...
I love those flowers, very prolific and the honey bees love them...
(ps you can eat them with cream cheese and chives or garlic
or the likes of stuff, they're edible)
I know...they really will be down to the floor before too long! laugh I'm hoping to move most of my plants out to the plastic greenhouse thing by the end of this month....they are all growing beautifully. thumbup

#151706 March 15th, 2006 at 04:06 AM
Hi all! Could the little flying buggers be springtails? I know they like it in moist areas. I forget how to get rid of them, but I don't think they do much harm.
Everything's looking good for my babies. Everything is sprouting nicely except for the onamental banana tree-does anyone know anything about those things?
I looked at my front bed this morning and there are crocuses and daffs popping up all over the place. I have to dig up a before pic and then do an "after" pic for you guys to really appreciate this (don't know if you remember-we were painting the house last year and ripped EVERYTHING out).
The only seedlings that I'm a little disappointed in are my poor pot marigolds. Alot of them sprouted when I was away over the weekend, but the cover was left on and I think several of them "dampened off".
TK-you are so ambitious! And it sounds like your landlord is getting into this right along with you. Wasn't he a little reluctant last year?
They're calling for temps down in the 30s again later this week (daytime), so it will be a while before I get anything out frown Keep posting all these pics to keep us northerners inspired!

#151707 March 15th, 2006 at 06:52 AM
well i like a challenge!!
so here goes!
ive named my two trays of leeks.
WEEZIE'S
cant wait for them to germinate grinnnn

#151708 March 15th, 2006 at 07:08 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
lol@markr you do like to live dangerously don't you? lol.

Well I decided that I wanted some bellflowers so they are now in my pretty new planter. I don't know what color they are but it's going to be great.

And the other new planter got a dwarf crepe mrytle. It's been a busy day I guess. I'll probably be planting more tomorrow. Where I'll put them I'm not sure but I'll find someplace lol.

#151709 March 15th, 2006 at 11:35 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by markr:
well i like a challenge!!
so here goes!
ive named my two trays of leeks.
WEEZIE'S
cant wait for them to germinate grinnnn
Originally posted by tkhooper:
lol@markr you do like to live dangerously don't you? lol.
He surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre does, doesn't he???
dev dev dev

No, that's funny, WEEZIE LEEKS...
hahahahaha..

Now who's he gonna name the beets' after.

(and the lettuce...
could call it a "Honeymoon salad,
Let us alone, without dressing shocked shk wink laugh )
(get it, let us = lettuce)

okay, getting carried away...

#151710 March 15th, 2006 at 12:54 PM
laugh laugh laugh laugh

You all are so funny!!! See what you started Christina, name that veggie....LOL

#151711 March 15th, 2006 at 01:18 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Laughing here!!!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard