This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#151637 March 7th, 2006 at 04:31 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
I checked my seed house today and LOOK what I found growing instead of plants. Well I found plants too but this surprised me.

[Linked Image]

Anyone else ever get this???

#151638 March 7th, 2006 at 04:37 AM
they look as healthy as the plants dont they...
looks good triss.
penny

#151639 March 7th, 2006 at 04:59 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Well they did before I pulled them out. Now they are in the garbage.

#151640 March 7th, 2006 at 09:12 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yep the starter soil I bought had a bunch of mushroom spore in it. I didn't bother to pull them out. The way I water I knew they'd be gone in a few days lol.

Hey Penny,

Glad to hear the peppers came up for you. Those sweet peppers were really good tasting so hopefully they will breed true and you'll get that great flavor too.

I got one of those deep dish trays from my hamburger this week. I put it up with the rest of my egg cartons. I think I already have enough trays for next year lol.

#151641 March 7th, 2006 at 10:07 PM
wow, Triss - I have never had that happen - what kind of soil are you using?

I always use peat pellets to start my seeds - have a few soaking right now and am going to start a post on my seed starting soon.

I hope the rest of your seeds do not develope those, and that they grow well for you.

#151642 March 8th, 2006 at 12:43 AM
thanks for the idea tammy, i never thought about the meat trays, good tip.
i cant wait to taste the peppers, and i am so happy that spring is just around the corner!!
penny

#151643 March 8th, 2006 at 01:18 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Definitely on the spring reference. I've finally got a few of the colder weather plants hanging outside during the day to get them hardened off. Next week they can start going into the garden. I need the indoor space lol. I also have to get a move on building that third tier. So much to do so little time lol.

#151644 March 8th, 2006 at 01:23 AM
Hi all! I've been following this thread for about a week now, and I've been trying to post about what I've got so far, but it seems like everytime I start a post, something happens and it doesn't make it to the forum. So....I'm just going to jump in where I'm at and post my pics and other stuff later..........
I got oregano and broccoli today poking out! I've never done oregano before-should that go on my cool side or my warm side? (I know the broccoli goes on the cool).
This is very exciting! I grew my vegie garden from seed last year and it was very rewarding. This year, I've decided to try some flowers as well, seeing as I'm bored with the same old things they sell at the box stores.
So far, I'm having fairly good luck with everything except the onions. I have some concerns about legginess, especially with the marigolds, but I think I'll be OK.
When I get some more time later on, I'll post pics of what I've got going on-right now I hear the boys trying to beat each other up..........

#151645 March 8th, 2006 at 01:43 AM
i am still so excited about my easter egg plant, i was told by so many people that they are hard to grow and might not grow at all and i have 5 out of the 6 pots with healthy little sprouts, and my peppers are loving their enviroment too.
happy gardening everyone...
penny

#151646 March 8th, 2006 at 01:47 AM
Sounds great Rozy! Yes..oregano likes warm.

I started my red onions and my brussel sprouts today. These can be put outside as soon as I can get into the ground. It's still a bit early for me to be starting any tomatoes, peppers, etc but it's warming up more and more everyday. spring is just around the corner. flw

#151647 March 8th, 2006 at 01:55 AM
hi christina,

i have started peppers and some cherry tomatoes and lots of flowers, i think its to early yet for beans and other things like that. i also started chilean glory vine, 8 pots and they are growing like mad.
i will pm you in the next day or two about the garden show.
penny

#151648 March 8th, 2006 at 02:02 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Rosy,

What kind of onions did you plant. Mine have all been really easy care and I'm a beginner. I'll help if I can.

#151649 March 8th, 2006 at 03:13 AM
Christina-maybe you could clear this up for me--I started some brussel sprouts about a month ago, more or less, but then I read that they're supposed to mature at the end of the season, so they shouldn't be started until like mid-summer-ish--is that correct? You're colder than my zone 6-could that be why?

Tammy-I think I planted regular old yellow onions. The probs I've been having: no sprouts at all (kept in a flat that's covered, warm & moist). If they do sprout, and I take them out of the covered flat, they seem to just STOP. So I started leaving them in the covered flat until they're fully up and standing, and then it seems like they may be damping off. They just kind of flop over and then wither. I have them in direct light on my cool side (60-70F). I'm about to give up on them-I have a bunch seeded, but it's starting to get late, so if I don't see any results soon, I guess I'll have to try again next year...

#151650 March 8th, 2006 at 04:16 AM
Rozy..brussel sprouts take a LONG time to mature, I've read that some people leave them until after the first frost claiming they taste better then. This is why I've started mine so early. You'll be fine. As far as our zones..I'm about the same as you. It's funny, the US Hardiness zone map says I'm 5b but the Canadian Hardiness zone map clearly states I'm 6a??? I just say I'm somewhere inbetween.

#151651 March 8th, 2006 at 04:18 AM
O
O
I started my main crop tomato seeds yesterday, as well as some new hot peppers I just got in the mail. I also potted up 6 of my 7 early tomatoes in their 10 inch pots. They'll be going out into the garden in about 3 weeks.

#151652 March 8th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hum yellow onions are usually started from sets rather than seeds. But I found a fair amount of information on them. Hopefully something here may be of assistance.

An important aspect of onion development is the length of day or photoperiod. Photoperiod, along with temperature, controls when the onions form bulbs. Some onion varieties are short-day in response, and form bulbs when the days are 12 hours or less in length. Other varieties are long-day plants, forming bulbs when there are 15 or more hours of daylight. This effect of day length makes some onion varieties unsuitable for northern climates because they begin to bulb when the plants are too small. The influence of day length also requires that Sweet Spanish and Bermuda onions be grown from plants rather than seed in Ohio.

Unfavorable growing conditions may result in onions bolting or sending up flower stalks. If flower stalks should develop, carefully cut them from the plant immediately or bulbing will be reduced.

Soil Requirements
Onions grow best in a loose, well-drained soil of high fertility and plenty of organic matter. Avoid heavier soils such as clay and silt loams unless modified with organic matter to improve aeration and drainage. Onions are sensitive to highly acid soils and grow best when the pH is between 6.2 and 6.8.

Fertilizers
As for most vegetables, lime and fertilizers are best applied using the results of a soil test as a guide. Arrangements for soil testing can be made through your local County Extension office. Fertilizers of a 1-2-2 ratio (5-10-10, for example) are good for onion production. As the onion plant's root system is very limited, high soil fertility is essential for good production.

Establishing the Planting
Onions should be planted early in the spring as soon as the soil can be worked. Onion seed is sown 1/2 inch deep, while sets are planted one to two inches deep. A three-inch plant spacing is desirable. Rows should be 12 to 18 inches or more apart depending on the method of cultivation. For wide row planting, plants or sets are placed on 3-inch centers. Onions are ideal for wide row planting, but keep in mind that weeding must then be done by hand.

#151653 March 8th, 2006 at 09:06 AM
O
O
A way around the day length requirements for onions is to plant in the fall. Some onions are hardy down to 10 degrees F. I have good luck with Walla Walla, Olympic and usually Ailsa Craig, although last winter they didn't make it. I protected them as usual, but we had a couple of unusually low nights--negative 5 and negative 1 degrees. Walla Walla, and Olympic made it through fine. I generally plant my onion seeds the first week in August.

#151654 March 8th, 2006 at 01:21 PM
Hmmm....Thanks for all the info! The more I think about it, though, I wonder if I just got a bad batch of seeds? I haven't had problems with anything else sprouting, and seeing as I'm having problems every step of the way, I wonder if that could be it? (It's always easier to blame someone else than admit your own defeat, right?) I'll have to see what happens.
I peaked at the pot marigolds tonight and they're starting to send their roots down already-I just seeded them on Sunday! This is so exciting! Happy seeding everyone!

#151655 March 9th, 2006 at 01:28 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thanks rosy.

I definitely will try starting some onion seeds in the fall if I can find the seeds. They aren't real easy to come by around here.

Well the second bunch of morning glories are comming up much better than the first bunch did. But you can't really see them in the picture. But you can the first set since they are bigger of course lol. So I have seven of the 8 vines I wanted. Hopefully all of the colors are represented. I hope to have light pink, light blue and violet.

[Linked Image]

The next shot is of my Zinnia sprouts. There are about 14 here. I had hoped for 36 but after two plantings this is all I managed. I will try more when there is more window space available. fortunately they do sprout very quickly.

[Linked Image]

#151656 March 9th, 2006 at 01:40 AM
hi tammy,
all the flowers look good and i see the meat trays you mentioned yesturday-good idea thumbup
penny

#151657 March 9th, 2006 at 02:23 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Actually that's not the type of tray I was discussing. That one is probably 4 inches tall and white plastic rather than the styrofoam like you see here. These are great for saucers to catch excess water but I wouldn't try to plant in them they aren't tall enough I don't think.

#151658 March 9th, 2006 at 02:32 AM
Looking good Tammy! Are the morning glories annuals or perennials? And what kind of light do they need once outside? I have a wooden stockade fence about 10 feet from my kitchen window. I would love to grow a nice vine on it, but I'm afraid of A)the vine ruining the fence and B) the vine traveling over the fence to my anal-retentive neighbor's side. The spot gets 1/2 sun, if that (it would be on the north side of the fence)
Speaking of vines, does anybody have any tips on how to get ivy to grow up the house without it actually attaching to the house?
Not much to report on my seeds today. I have 1 new onion poking its head up. See what happens with this one. The pot marigolds are really interesting to watch. Later I'll take some pics to show exactly what I'm talking about, but it's so neat how I laid these hard little things down on the soil and a few days later they're sending out roots!
I'm getting a bit nervous about this weekend: we're going to Boston, leaving Friday AM, returning Sunday PM. I've got my sister in law, mother in law and niece (8) looking after my seedlings. My niece loves the spray bottle, so they should get plenty of moisture while I'm gone. I just have to make sure to leave lots of post-it-notes around reminding the adults to turn on/off the lights. We'll see what happens...cross your fingers for my seedlings!

#151659 March 9th, 2006 at 02:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a few morning glories growing too!
Scarlet O'Hara variety.
[Linked Image]

#151660 March 9th, 2006 at 03:06 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Scarlet O'Hara sounds really pretty. I'm picturing really really red am I close? That's a bunch of them. What are your plans for them?

Rozy, about the morning glories they are self seeding annuals that some people think of as weeds lol. They will travel because of the self seeding and because they are very easy to grow. They like full sun but I wouldn't put it past them to grow in less than optimal circumstances lol.

I keep forgetting to mention the crocuses. I have 3 blooming and one that will be up tomorrow. One is pure white and two are a satiny dark purple and they are all gorgeous. I hope that they will last long enough for the rest to join them. I would like to see them all blooming at the same time. If not this year then maybe next year.

#151661 March 9th, 2006 at 03:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yep, they're really red.... thumbup I'm gonna put them along my chain link fence! grinnnn

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard