A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: angelblossom Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 15th, 2006 at 11:44 AM
Okay who here likes to fish?

I love it even if I don't catch anything! Out side of gardening it is my second fav leisure pastime.
I primarily go for catfish. and use chkn liver and cornmeal balls make it myself and freeze it right on the hook ! I haven't found a catfish hole around here( too busy) but when I go visit in KS there are 2 or 3 (if I get there early enough in the day) that I could just sit there ALLLL Day .

One summer I was fishing on the Ks. River it had been rather dry that summer so I walked out on a sandbar found my sitting nitch dug my heels in(Just in case I got one of those 20 lb blue catfish) sca
A man not far from me came over and told me it was a garr I told him he could have it but he said his wife would hurt him bad if he took that thing home laugh laugh so I just cut the line and rehooked with worms. That was my scariest funniest moment of fishing to date.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 15th, 2006 at 12:56 PM
Okay who here likes to fish?
I love to fish.
When me and Andy were married we fished all the time, and before we had Lola we actually lived on the boat most of the time. (It's a big boat...that you can sleep in.) We even stayed on it in the winter when it snowed.

I like to fish for walleye...that is my FAVORITE! grinnnn
I could tell a bunch of good fish stories!

Those garr are freaky...I hate catching them. We decided to eat one of them once. It was pretty good, but we had to just about use a chain saw to cut into the garr...you talk about a tough fish! No wonder that guy's wife would have hurt him bad if he brought it home! laugh
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 15th, 2006 at 03:24 PM
well the first time we went fishing when we moved down here my brother caught a snapping turtle laugh laugh I also LOVE fishing. I think my favorite part when I was little was put the worm on the hook...my brother (who's only 2 years younger than me) used to HATE putting the worm on the hook and I HATED taking the fish off the hook! so I'd put the worm on his hook and he'd take the fish off of mine laugh laugh I saw a garr one time swimming in the water by my feet and it scared the crap outta me!! I was like daddy!! there's an alligator in the water!!!!!!!!!! and he's like no that's a garr fish...you don't wanna get bit by him! he's got HUGE teeth!!
Posted By: JV Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 15th, 2006 at 07:12 PM
I love to fish also. Liken to fish for cat as well as bluegill and Bass and striper. Diane go to lake Lewiseville fish around the old Dam there are some huge Blue cat there you will need a boat.
Jimmy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 16th, 2006 at 01:10 AM
I love to fish....Before I met Mark I'd never even been...so I made him take me, and I loved it....it's so relaxing and peaceful. Even if I don't catch anything I enjoy sitting there trying.... thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 16th, 2006 at 06:56 AM
I don't have a boat or know anyone that does. I think you can rent one but truth be told I'd rather put that rental money into the yard thumbup grinnnn
Now THAT would be worth the rental cost!!!
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 16th, 2006 at 07:42 AM
Ive got to say fishing comes before my garden!
you cant catch em sittin at home. it started for me when i was 9, fishin for eels on a tidal stretch of river.
then it was sea fishin on piers and boats.
now i fish for carp on lakes most of the time, sometimes just day sessions other times for 3 or 4 days n nights at a time.
nothhing guite like eating dinner by the water,washed down with a can of beer!
last year i had a trip to spain, fishing for wels catfish. i wanted to try to catch one over the 100lb mark, i caught upto 97lb so i guess i will have to go back and try again grinnnn
now im putting something back into a sport i love, by serving on the committe of our local club with 1,900 members for the last 6 years.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 16th, 2006 at 07:50 AM
Angel...ya need to fish Lake fork.tons of good spots.lots of large fish like bass too.I bet you'd like tube fishing8ya can fish where boats can't& are some now that can hook a trolling motor too(just don't get caught with a boat motor on one...they'll want your boating lisence shk and include a fine lala )
I'm lucky.I can fish real local...like walking/spitting distance& got 4-5 fishing holes to choose from& am near Toldeo Bend,Lake jackson,Sam Rayburn,Lake liveingston,Crystal lake,Lake tomahawk,trinity river.....

I could tell some fish storys.
Me& hubby caught the same fish once.I still say its MINE! I was bottom fishing,He was floating.fish SWALLOWED his stuff.Mine was hooked& I pulled it in to shore.He don't care much to fish with me& thats fine by me too.He's got nasty habit of crossing my line& stealing my batterys for them lighted bobbers.
I keep minnows on the porch.I recently got yelled at for fishing for 6 hours.He got hungry.I caught 11 fish that day too& only used 2 rods.I like crappie.I catch mostly bass,blue gill& catfish.I toss back mud cats.My fish guttings go into the compost pile.
My webshots albulm shows a few of the holes I fish under whitetail ridge.I mostly fish mud lake.Its said to be overstocked,but is a 30 ft channel thats got great cathcings& at night time you can catch bunches of crappie(crappie are easier to catch on them shorter poles.Largest bass I've caught is 11 lbs.Lake fork off FM 19 bridge resturant side.Largest crappie is 7 lbs.I caught 2 yesterday 1 bass 1 crappie.

We plan to go gulf fishing sometime.This year would be nice.I've ocean fished in FL.watched a guy catch a shark once too& ran when it tried to come on the pier.took him 5 hrs to reel it in.He used baracuda to catch it.Was a 7 ft shark a juvie they said.salt water fish have teeth.I got some looks in daytona when caught that saltwater catfish.I banged it against post.stomped on its head and yancked my line from its mouth.(I didn't know was a proper way to remove fish)
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 16th, 2006 at 09:17 AM
Big time angler here...I live by the biggest lake in Maryland. Spend all winter ice fishing, and open water out on the boat. Fishing is my number 1 hobby!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 16th, 2006 at 10:02 AM
I can attest that it's a great lake!!! I live really close to DeepCreekLake....like 35 minutes away.

We spend a lot of time up there in the summer.

We have about 8 fishing poles in the basement...Mark likes to have at least 2 going at the same time....I'm happy in my little chair, with my one pole.... laugh
Posted By: njoynit Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 16th, 2006 at 09:18 PM
Here's a biggie from our other main fishing hole.I like fishing Ms D's (Lake Sam)she'll bring out refreshments & when we fish at her place we useually leave her what we catch cause she builds them up and does a fish fry.
http://thumb3.webshots.com/s/thumb1/3/14/9/171831409YysJVA_th.jpg
That fish was just a 5 lb bass.He caught 3 that day and was a good meal.

Sooooo.....anyone tried them new salt soaked rubber bait??I've tried out 2 of them.I can't say I caught 40% more cause I'm partial to lures& minnows(I really like waterdogs,but they wanting $30 a doz this year& to think I thought $14 was outragous 5 years ago shk )

And for those who watch the fishing tournaments on ESPN....The McDoanlds fishing tournament comeing up.Those who watched last yr Might rember about the sam rayburn tournament.A 11 yr old Kid won 1st place .His fish weighed 11.57 lbs& netted him a new Hummer& triton boat + $1000 cash(They sold the boat)And the lil squirt won in the 1st hour of fishing.The tournament goes to Lake fork in sept& we have talked about entering it(We'll decide on the 12th of sept)
And as to the professional tournaments.....I'm a Van Dam fan& I like watching bass tech&Loadmouth bass.(And I really liked the teched boat they did last year that included an X box for fishing game..mini fridge,the lighted steering wheel.....)

I have 4 fishing poles,but only use about 3 of um.hubby has more poles,but I got more stuff in my tackle box them him (plus I have a better box).When I was about 12 or 13 I use to go fishing all day& bring fish home for grandma to clean.when grandma wasn't visiting I use to carry them to neighbor.Mom has a picture of me at age 3 fishing on our houseboat.I grew up fishing in TN elk river,Tims Ford,A place we called devils step.Over in normandy near the dam(& near george dickle distillary)And I skipped school once(I was about 15 or 16)& me& some friends went to Scottsburo AL and fished some lake and got caught by the game warden.All our fishing lisences we're TN.I actually had 20 hours of public service work to do for the state park& got suspended for 3 days which was spent as home suspension which I spent those 3 days fishing.Friend Wendy actually didn't get charged cause she actually held a valid AL fishing lisence cause of her parents being divorced and fished with her dad so was legal....but she did get suspended....and her dad bought us new poles.I think I got grounded too.
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 17th, 2006 at 09:20 AM
Deep Creek is alot of fun to fish. The panfish in that lake get pretty big, the walleye fishing is great too! Also catch trout in the Spring on the lake heres a pic of a bruin Brown trout I caught last year. We had a field day with the trout that day, caught and released many of them, and the weekend after as well! We catch fish all year long in the lake, the ice fishing is alot of fun! [Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 17th, 2006 at 09:44 AM
woooooo! What a beaut! Good Picture!!! thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 17th, 2006 at 10:22 AM
That's one big fish...
Posted By: beebiz Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 19th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to fish!!!! And luckly, so does my wife!! Our favorite to fish for is catfish and bream/bluegill. Linda likes to eat the bream/bluegill and bass. So, I try to catch a few bass for her. But, my favorite to eat is catfish! Give me a golden fried cat, a good ripe tommato, some soup beans, fresh sweet onion, some fried okra, and a glass of sweet tea, and...... well, it just don't get any better than that!!

A few years ago my brother and I went fishing on the TN river at Paris Landing. We were "bumping bottom" for big cats. We were drifting along and my rod began to slowly bend further and further.... no sudden "jerk." Finally, I picked up the rod and pulled back on it. It felt as though I was hooked on the bottom or on a big log. I was kind of irritated at the though of loosing another rig. So, I let off a little slack and jerked back hard. That time it jerked back!! I was a bit off balance and the jerk was so hard that I almost went for a swim!!

Long story short, it was a monster cat!! I had 50 pound test line on and a steel leader at the end of that. But, the way this guy was fighting, I was afraid I might loose him.

After about 30 minutes of fighting him, I finally got him close enough to the surface that I could see him. He was huge.... do you hear me..... HUGE!!! It looked like his mouth was big enough that my size 13 boot would have had no problem fitting into his mouth!! And he was easily over 3 1/2 feet long!!

My brother got the huge dip net that we had and was going to try to net him. About the instant that the net broke the surface of the water, Mr. Kitty Kat rolled hard and dove for the bottom like a rocket!! In a split second he broke my 50 pound test line like it was rotten sewing thread, broke my rod in two, and snapped my real out of it's holder in the rod!!

I wouldn't have eaten him..... he was too big!! The bigger cats like that have too much fat on them and don't have a good taste to me. But, I sure like catching them!! And, I was soooooo disapointed that I didn't get to take a pic with him. But, I did get to look him eyeball to eyeball!! And, he was a beauty!!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - March 19th, 2006 at 07:03 AM
Wow You must have had your chest puffed out big as a helium balloon!! How exciting and exhauting! Good thing your brother was there is verify this big one that got away lala lala laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 7th, 2006 at 09:26 AM
When does fishin' season start??????
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 7th, 2006 at 09:36 AM
I dunno Weezie, but reading this, I am looking very forward to camping and fishing this year!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 8th, 2006 at 07:34 AM
The other day I was really wanting to go fishing., the wind was calm and a nice 73 degrees water wouldn't be choppy I think I may have to Kidnap Jimmy for a afternoon and go throw some lines in some weekend real soon!!

Hey think it might be a volunteer Kidnapping?? lala laugh laugh laugh wink
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 9th, 2006 at 05:12 AM
I don't think it is kidnapping when the victum goes willingly.
Posted By: limey Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 9th, 2006 at 05:46 AM
Hi Weezie,
Up here in Ont Can Every fish has a different start date So you have be careful what you fish for.
Dave
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 9th, 2006 at 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Triss:
I don't think it is kidnapping when the victum goes willingly.
I know that!!! p I was just funnin' ya know wink laugh laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 9th, 2006 at 08:56 AM
I was wondering about the starting dates..
Because I've seen cars parked where they go fishing and wondered..
But I didn't think our season here had "offically" started yet....

Our boys want to go with their sudo "Uncle" in his boat.. they've got their fishin' boxes..
*nothing in them yet* but they're ready...
*they like the boat part the best*
Posted By: limey Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 10th, 2006 at 10:51 AM
Know what you mean about 'the boat part the best' They sound just like my grandkids Ones 10 the others 7 They love to get behind the wheel
Dave
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 10th, 2006 at 07:07 PM
I think, if I remember correctly.......
They went up to Lake Ontario the last time they went...
( sca I was a weeeeeee~bit skeee~redddd, for them, especially my littlest~wee~one..to be in such a big lake, they go to a smaller one around here....and I'm okay with that.. but that bbbbbbig one..YIKES!!)

Where do you go Dave???
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 10th, 2006 at 11:15 PM
Do the boys know how to swim? And do they wear life vests?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 10th, 2006 at 11:58 PM
The oldest~yes..
The littlest~no..

Absolutellllllllllly life~vests..
REALLLLLLL ONES, not one's bought at
a Dollar Store..
and no second hand one's either..
I made him find quality ones'

When they are much older, and more capable..
I am wayyyy okay with it,
but for now...
NOW WAY!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 11th, 2006 at 12:09 AM
Good for you Weezie. I did not doubt that you would put their safety first! I love it when kiddos know how to swim. I think it should be a requirement for all kids cuz you just never know. Do you ever go fishing with them?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 11th, 2006 at 01:01 AM
Not really...
I spend alottttttttttt of the time with the kids,
and hubbies gone at work, alottt.. so, I insist this is Male bonding time.. and mommy gets peace and quiet time in the back yard..

*although, I am thinking about asking him to take
MY MOTHER AND NEIGHBOR WITH HIM THE NEXT TIME OR TWO, SO THEY DON'T DROP IN WHEN IT'S MY TIME IN THE BACK YARD...ALONNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEE eek eek
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 11th, 2006 at 04:01 AM
Good plan Weezie!
Posted By: JV Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 11th, 2006 at 07:15 AM
by angelblossom
I may have to Kidnap Jimmy for a afternoon and
Kidnapp ??right. laugh Been needing a fishing buddy since Grandkids all grown and gone. Let me get a lic. Hope you don't mind bank fishing as I don't have a boat. Some kidnapping. thumbup laugh laugh laugh
Jimmy
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 11th, 2006 at 08:53 AM
OH Yeah Jimmy!! I don't mind bank fishing at all as long as I have a place to sit occasionally thumbup thumbup

Goin' fishing instead of just a wishin' thumbup clp
Posted By: JV Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 11th, 2006 at 10:26 AM
Diane I have these folding chairs I use when I go fishing or to the Race track. So got a palce to sit. thumbup
Jimmy
Posted By: limey Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 11th, 2006 at 10:58 AM
Hi Weezie,
I used to fish Lake Ontario,in a 14ft boat We have been out 4 miles in 300ft of water after rainbow trout and salmon, got a few.Now I'm a bit older, fish in a smaller lake, with a little bit bigger boat.The wife sits in the front with a good book,i fish from the back We catch walleye bass crappie bluegill.Nothing like a good fryup when we get home.After a hard day on the water Ha Ha HA
Dave
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 11th, 2006 at 11:13 AM
Yep Dave, that is the kinda "work" I could do quite often!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 16th, 2006 at 10:15 PM
I went to Joe Pool Lake yesterday unaware they were having a Bass Tournament ! It was packed!! Nowhere to park! Traffic was backed up: the lake is a 10 minute drive from my house and it took me over 20 minutes to get out of the lake's front parking lot,, I didn't even try to go in further. Next time I'll read the newpaper on Lake activities before I take the grandkids out there hated to disappoint the GKids we'll try again next weekend!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 16th, 2006 at 11:07 PM
My littlest wee~one has a "I did" book
for over the Easter vacation..
He had his teacher write in,
"He wanted to go fishin' with his dad."

*I don't think it's going to happen eek , cause it's cold Duh crit

But I thought that was too cool cute... eek
Posted By: JV Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 16th, 2006 at 11:48 PM
Diane I havent heard anything about a bass tournament out there must be a local club. Mountain creek lake is a pretty good place to go and it is not croweded. Just off 303 several good place to bank fish I go there a lot. do not go over by the Electric power plant to many snakes in that area have not seen any anywhere else.
Jimmy
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 17th, 2006 at 12:31 AM
That is adorable Weezie. Too bad the weather is not cooperating so they can fish.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 17th, 2006 at 05:54 AM
Originally posted by JV:
Diane I havent heard anything about a bass tournament out there must be a local club.
Jimmy
Jimmy it was sponsered by MediaBass with 62 entries at the Lynn Creek Marina .They are taking place all over this area in the next month or so. The next one is Fork- Minnow Bucket marina, then,,at Eagle Mountain Westbay Marina Then Ray Roberts @ R,R. marina. Yes these are Texas Team trails,, Slot Lake teams, smile
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 17th, 2006 at 06:02 AM
Originally posted by weezie13:
My littlest wee~one has a "I did" book
for over the Easter vacation..
He had his teacher write in,
"He wanted to go fishin' with his dad."

*I don't think it's going to happen eek , cause it's cold

But I thought that was too cool cute... eek
AWWWWWW !! When the weather warms up maybe your wee'one can/will hand Dear ol' Dad a fishing pole and the 'I did' book as a gentle reminder! thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 17th, 2006 at 07:09 AM
I went out friday, first time since the begining of january.
our club have just got a lease on a new water, so we had to give it a try before we let the members on.
i didnt get there till 1 pm, by that time all the other committee members were set up and fishin.
i took a walk round to see who's been catchin!
same story, lots of sad faces,, aint seen a fish, aint had a bite,
10 anglers no fish frown
i went back to the car to fetch my gear, got loaded up and of course i ended up at the furthest end of the lake!
the cold end as well !
just got both my rods out and i could see my mate was into the first fish of the day! wavey strange!!
well it carried on and each time i was into a fish off they went, come 4 it was just me and two mates left!!!
wrong deoderent again.
i ended up with nine carp, sean had 1, and the rest blanked!
cant wait for the next committee meeting p
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 17th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
Sounds like YOU had a good day fishing Mark! Congrats on the catch! Or should I say catches!
Posted By: Fawnice Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 20th, 2006 at 09:10 AM
wavey Ok, I'll bite. ROFL Living near the ocean, hubby and I do fish whenever we can. But, here's the story: Our first time fishing off of one of the jetty's with our comprable to a (lake size) fishing pole, but just a tad bit bigger. Holy cow-fish Batman!!!!! First hubby got a fish I think it was a Sheepshead, (it looked like it from what I could see). This fish was huge!!! I was down on a rock to help bring it up, and of course when I did, BAM it wiggled right off. At least we and several others got to see it. Then about an hour or so later, my pole took a hit, I snagged it good and started reeling in. I had no more than about 5 turns of the reel and when the fish pulled, he stripped my reel and bent the heck out of my bail. I had to drop the pole and help hubby pull the fish in by line only. After a few tugs like that, SNAP, the line was gone. Needless to say we went and purchased our deep-sea fishing gear etc. Haven't had a good bite like that since. frown Maybe this year we'll hook into one. Until then.... Fish On.

Take care.
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 20th, 2006 at 09:51 AM
Well I bet that was quite the experience Fawnice. Fun though. Hope you get some bites this year!
Posted By: limey Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 21st, 2006 at 10:41 AM
Hi Mark,
I know you folks in England fish a lot for Carp We have a few big ones over here.My biggest one is 38lb on a 4lb leader caught on a little bit of breadflake.I used to live in Pickering Ontario next to a nuke plant.We would go out fishing for the morning on the weekend and catch carp until your arms ache.Many weekends i've landed several fish up to 25lb on bread or cornnibblets.I do miss catching the Roach,Bream ,Chub etc We have Perch.You should try eating the Zander we call them Pickerel or walleye there very tasty the cheeks are the best.
Dave
Posted By: Fawnice Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 21st, 2006 at 11:12 AM
TY Triss, me too. We didn't fish much last year, but I'm hoping to do some soon.

Have a wonderful evening.
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 22nd, 2006 at 05:09 AM
limey,
theres a whole industrie sprung up now, just for the carp!
we even have organised holidays to europe, africa, usa, canada, all over!
every water i fish now, all the big fish are known, and they all have names!!!
the biggest mirror i caught was called dippy at 47-12 and the biggest common was lyndons at 41-12.
it would be nice to get away and fish without the crowds of people after the same known fish!
i envy what you have there.
bet you had a good tear up with 4lb line too, most of the time i use either 12 or 15lb line, because all the lakes with big fish seem to be heavily weeded or snaggy.
ive never caught zander yet but i will keep it in mind!
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 24th, 2006 at 11:56 AM
Hi Mark wavey
15lb line?? Wow..that's like cable!
Question for ya. Do you actually eat the carp over there? If we get them on our line, we throw them right back in the water...they're known as "garbage fish"...bottom feeders here.
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 24th, 2006 at 12:08 PM
15lb yeah we use it when were fishing near snags bushes or heavey weed.
no we dont eat them, just weigh photograph and put them back!
them "garbage fish" are worth a lot of money over here.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 24th, 2006 at 12:11 PM
I'll mail them to ya to help you pay for your gas!!! thumbup
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 24th, 2006 at 12:30 PM
yeah keep em coming!
then i can post pics of my big new house by my own lake!!! kissies muggs
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 25th, 2006 at 03:21 AM
I was searching for a poem....
and came acrossed this...
Thought it was cute!

FISHING Serenity Prayer....
GOD grant me the SERENITY
to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the COURAGE not to fib about it,
and the WISDOM to know that no on
would believe me anyways...
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 25th, 2006 at 04:18 AM
laugh
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 26th, 2006 at 12:24 PM
I recieved this as an email ,,,it is amazing! never know what your'e going to see near lakes and ponds.

A resident living near a pond noticed a red ball floating rather in an awkward 'bounce' upon further investigating he saw a flathead catfish appearently had tried to swallow a child's red basketball. The fish obviously was exhausted from trying to dive down but couldn't because of the ball. After several attempts to grab the ball and pull it out he realized the suction was too great . His wife punctured the ball with a knife, which deflated the ball, and released the fish Hard to believe with out pics so here you go...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Be Kinder than Necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 26th, 2006 at 12:33 PM
i thought dogs liked chasing balls, not cats!
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - April 28th, 2006 at 04:28 AM
WOW!
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - May 8th, 2006 at 11:41 AM
well i did it again!
i went out for 3 nights last week on a new lake. i had a target this year, to catch a big common carp that lives there!
i get there to find most of the places already taken.
so on the way back to the car i find the only real option is to fish a big bay right near the car park.
suits me,, not so far to walk!
still took four trips to get all my kit to where i was going to fish.
i had a quick chat with the owner to find out whats been caught!
he said one of the 40s had been out two days ago, at 37lb a bit down in weight.
so i set up all my gear,got the rods chucked out and the kettle on!!
well before the kettle boiled my right hand rod was away!
great start a fish on and i aint had my first cuppa.
well did that fish have the hump with me? it was taking line like a steam train!
after 5 mins or so it was about 20 yds out and coming to the surface!
it didnt like that so off it went again, then a boil on the water about 4 feet across appeared, wow some fish to do that!
every time i got it closer and tried to get its head up off it went.
after 10 mins or so i had a few people watching me (great an audiance) dont fall off now!!!
then i got sight of it, a big common.
now how many commons over 30lb in here???
no idea i just knew it was big!
every time i got its head up it off it went again, it didnt like the surface for sure.
i called one of the crowd when it was closer to the bank to help with the net, in went the net off went the fish.
this time it didnt take much line, so i pumped it back in and over the net it went. YESSSSS
there she was, a fish i had seen in the photo's before, SWIRLY a known 40.
so up on the scales and 38lb ters
good luck bad luck ?
didnt get that tea, had to drink beer instead! lala
Posted By: bettyboop1948 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - May 8th, 2006 at 10:38 PM
Here is a fish my Grandson got over the week end,
here at our Lake
[Linked Image] he was so happy

bettyboop1948/100_0336.jpg[/IMG]

thumbup flw
bettyboop1948
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - May 9th, 2006 at 03:46 PM
Wow that's a big fish....
Posted By: Stuspot Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - May 10th, 2006 at 10:51 AM
There are a lot of funny fish stories and cool fish pictures on this thread! muggs
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 15th, 2006 at 10:50 AM
[img] [img]http://thumb17.webshots.com/t/36/37/4/52/97/2960452970084789697WeJxjh_th.jpg[/img] [/IMG]
this one didnt get away!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 15th, 2006 at 12:27 PM
HOLY COW!!
That's one BIG FISH...

What kind is it?? Duh

How long did it take to reel that puppy in???
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 15th, 2006 at 12:28 PM
Now that is ONE BIG FISH!!!!! thumbup muggs
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 15th, 2006 at 02:07 PM
WOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Marker!!! I opened your picture and the face of that fish looks like a seal's face Almost!! laugh laugh

What Kind of fish is THAT????? Was it caught in a lake or river>>

Come on tell the story!! PLZZZZZZ grinnnn grinnnn clp
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 15th, 2006 at 02:17 PM
Come on tell the story!! PLZZZZZZ
Yeah..we want the story! grinnnn
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 15th, 2006 at 03:35 PM
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
Come on tell the story!! PLZZZZZZ
Yeah..we want the story! grinnnn
A carp? Really?? DAAAANNNNNGGGG!! What in the heck do the fish eat in those waters any way.??
shk shk laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 16th, 2006 at 10:10 AM
ive done the story of that one on pg 4.
that was my first trip, last week was my 6th trip and what a trip that was!
i caught the biggest brace ive ever had, the first was called braveheart at 39.8 and on my last night i caught singlescale at 38.4.
ive given it a rest this week because i think they will be spawning, and ive caught the three biggest fish already lala
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 18th, 2006 at 05:15 AM
Those carps fight like runaway dunp trucks! Just when you think there tired they go for another drag stripping run! Def a nice fish, did you catch them on "Boilies" as they call it in the UK? I found the best bait for them here is a vanilla dough, thats hard to find, but works great, and stays together in the water.
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 18th, 2006 at 06:07 AM
vanilla dough?
yes i used boilies over a bed of trout pellets.
the last time i went i used beds of hemp which they seemed to like, it was the first time using it on that water.
already got me next bucket cooked up and waiting to go!
Posted By: Zenith Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 18th, 2006 at 09:31 PM
DeepCreekLake that's one fine catch you have in your picture.
markr a very nich catch you have also in yout picture.
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 19th, 2006 at 06:57 AM
Vanilla dough-(like a paste) its made with cornmeal, and vanilla extract, sometimes has cotton mixed in to keep it together. It smells very good, but more importantly it works great. They have doughs that are scented like strawberry which also works. Some peopme make there onw using cornflakes, and strawberry soda.
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 19th, 2006 at 10:29 AM
ive not tried vanilla extract yet, but ive used lots of paste, but mine is made up using eggs.
it doesnt last long thats why we use boilies most of the time.
also when we cast 80yds+ it comes off!!!
Posted By: Zenith Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 20th, 2006 at 12:19 AM
What bait do you use to those that fish in the Surf have any favourites?
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 21st, 2006 at 02:24 PM
By surf you mean ocean surf? Always had good luck using cut squid.
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 27th, 2006 at 10:21 AM
[Linked Image]
thought i would share this one, doesnt weigh a lot.
but its pretty!
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 27th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
[Linked Image]
this one aint so pretty!
but it weighs 34lb.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 28th, 2006 at 12:57 AM
WOW.....thats great!!!

Well done thumbup thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 28th, 2006 at 02:53 PM
My hubby was quite impressed with those fish! Me too for that matter!
Posted By: Magnolia4moi Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 29th, 2006 at 03:42 AM
Geez, what nice fish stories & pics. Another one of my favorite hobbies. I like salt water fishing now, seems more fun & catch something everytime. I just wish that I could post the picture of my biggest fish. Won the "catch of the month" contest in a local fishing magazine. Plus, the most excitment was being name Shoreline Queen Fisherette at a Grand Isle, LA fishing rodeo.
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - June 30th, 2006 at 11:19 AM
i came back this morning from an over night trip, and im off again tommorow for some more!
(hard life) thumbup
Posted By: Zenith Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 11th, 2006 at 09:12 PM
Hello all wavey

markr nice catch, what type of fish is it? & do you keep them or release?
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 16th, 2006 at 12:23 PM
Hi zenith
there carp, we just weigh photo and release them.
nice to see others catch them aswell thumbup
i went last week and saw 3 of the fish ive caught already, one is looking rather large at the moment lala
i wont shake it off if i hook it again!!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 28th, 2006 at 04:17 PM
I'm gonna try to get to the lake this week end!! May be too hot to fish, does any one have suggestions for good bait for catfish to bite on hot days or do I just use what I normally do?? I've heard the hotter it is the deeper cats go so one needs something to encourage them to come to you more than the norm is this true? Duh
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 28th, 2006 at 11:58 PM
i fish for wels catfish over here, they are different to yours, but i do take a lot off the surface when its hot!
just remember a bad days fishin is better than a good day at work thumbup
catch one for me!!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 30th, 2006 at 01:50 AM
Originally posted by markr:

just remember a bad days fishin is better than a good day at work thumbup
Absolutely Mark!! We decided to go 1st thing tomarrow am before the sun comes up!! Even if I don't catch a thing "I've still won!" [Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 30th, 2006 at 05:49 AM
Good luck Diane, hope you catch a lot!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 31st, 2006 at 04:46 AM
Just got back from fishing caught 8 - all approx 7-9 lbs . we have already prepared for frying today... Our friend caught quite a few as well but she caught and released most of hers too small for her liking tho they were pan sized Duh we used worms, live crickets, and frozen cormeal balls dipped in liver blood I only caught one on the frzn cornball and it was barely hooked but I managed to get it on land,, the chiggers were terrible!!!!!!! so many bites on my arms and ankles we had to walk about a quarter of a mile to get to the cat hole but in my opinion it was all worth it,, Last night I was up late> matter of fact never did go to sleep, so as I was packing I forgot the camera.. our friend took some pic but her camera isn't digital we're going again in august sometime hopefully well have the same kind of luck,, the cats' really seemed hungry this am thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 31st, 2006 at 04:49 AM
WOW Diane, that is a wonderful catch! Enjoy!!!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 31st, 2006 at 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Triss:
WOW Diane, that is a wonderful catch! Enjoy!!!
Yep it was a good one about ready to start cooking our Sunday fish fry wanna come and eat with us there is plenty Triss!! Mac and Cheese and salad goes with! thumbup
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 31st, 2006 at 10:57 AM
sounds good!
glad you caught thumbup
im off again tomorrow, 3 nights this time.
peace and quiet muggs
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 31st, 2006 at 11:54 AM
Jonny had luck fishing today. Caught the one and only fish of the day. he does not even eat them but Dan and Patrick will each enjoy half of it. It is a bass. He turned the fish as I took the pic.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 31st, 2006 at 12:29 PM
Awwwwwww that is soooooo cute...
He is soooooo proud of that one..

(my boys havent' even had a chance to go this summer so far eek I hope they get to go at
least once this summer..)
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 31st, 2006 at 01:14 PM
Oh I hope so too Weezie. We have had so much fun hitting the lakes and rivers near us. So much more water here than in Nebraska!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - July 31st, 2006 at 02:17 PM
clp clp clp Jonny!!! GOOD JOB!!!!
Posted By: markr Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - September 25th, 2006 at 03:51 PM
Im off again! another 3 nights of peace n quiet p
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - September 25th, 2006 at 08:30 PM
Good job Jonny~ thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: njoynit Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - October 13th, 2006 at 09:16 PM
My fishing spot

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thats my FIL Gary.thats his collection of bobber& hooks growing on tree in water too.good bites in that hole,but a headache too.

The other pic is stright out shot.I fish in a safer zone.I rip my worms & minnows off the hook half time from the leaves.Time to cut another tree.It could be worse.the water would rise& we;d have to go further down past our spot. I enjoyed the veiw here that day was a great day.
Posted By: Triss Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - October 14th, 2006 at 06:11 AM
What a beautiful spot to fish!!
Posted By: Thornius Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - October 14th, 2006 at 07:22 AM
I have no tales of the one that got away because no fish has EVER escaped my hooks, nets, spears, traps, or bows. I even supported our church by hunting and fishing when I was younger. teech nutz lala
Posted By: njoynit Re: Gone Fishing -the one that got away! - October 21st, 2006 at 11:02 AM
Well the water rose from the rain.I guess won't be sitting in chair.will be hanging hand on tree and casting hopeing to not fall in.guess MN never heard of DRIP irrigation huh.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]