This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#151460 March 15th, 2006 at 11:44 AM
OP Offline
Okay who here likes to fish?

I love it even if I don't catch anything! Out side of gardening it is my second fav leisure pastime.
I primarily go for catfish. and use chkn liver and cornmeal balls make it myself and freeze it right on the hook ! I haven't found a catfish hole around here( too busy) but when I go visit in KS there are 2 or 3 (if I get there early enough in the day) that I could just sit there ALLLL Day .

One summer I was fishing on the Ks. River it had been rather dry that summer so I walked out on a sandbar found my sitting nitch dug my heels in(Just in case I got one of those 20 lb blue catfish) sca
A man not far from me came over and told me it was a garr I told him he could have it but he said his wife would hurt him bad if he took that thing home laugh laugh so I just cut the line and rehooked with worms. That was my scariest funniest moment of fishing to date.

#151461 March 15th, 2006 at 12:56 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Okay who here likes to fish?
I love to fish.
When me and Andy were married we fished all the time, and before we had Lola we actually lived on the boat most of the time. (It's a big boat...that you can sleep in.) We even stayed on it in the winter when it snowed.

I like to fish for walleye...that is my FAVORITE! grinnnn
I could tell a bunch of good fish stories!

Those garr are freaky...I hate catching them. We decided to eat one of them once. It was pretty good, but we had to just about use a chain saw to cut into the garr...you talk about a tough fish! No wonder that guy's wife would have hurt him bad if he brought it home! laugh

#151462 March 15th, 2006 at 03:24 PM
well the first time we went fishing when we moved down here my brother caught a snapping turtle laugh laugh I also LOVE fishing. I think my favorite part when I was little was put the worm on the hook...my brother (who's only 2 years younger than me) used to HATE putting the worm on the hook and I HATED taking the fish off the hook! so I'd put the worm on his hook and he'd take the fish off of mine laugh laugh I saw a garr one time swimming in the water by my feet and it scared the crap outta me!! I was like daddy!! there's an alligator in the water!!!!!!!!!! and he's like no that's a garr fish...you don't wanna get bit by him! he's got HUGE teeth!!

#151463 March 15th, 2006 at 07:12 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I love to fish also. Liken to fish for cat as well as bluegill and Bass and striper. Diane go to lake Lewiseville fish around the old Dam there are some huge Blue cat there you will need a boat.
Jimmy

#151464 March 16th, 2006 at 01:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love to fish....Before I met Mark I'd never even been...so I made him take me, and I loved it....it's so relaxing and peaceful. Even if I don't catch anything I enjoy sitting there trying.... thumbup

#151465 March 16th, 2006 at 06:56 AM
OP Offline
I don't have a boat or know anyone that does. I think you can rent one but truth be told I'd rather put that rental money into the yard thumbup grinnnn
Now THAT would be worth the rental cost!!!

#151466 March 16th, 2006 at 07:42 AM
Ive got to say fishing comes before my garden!
you cant catch em sittin at home. it started for me when i was 9, fishin for eels on a tidal stretch of river.
then it was sea fishin on piers and boats.
now i fish for carp on lakes most of the time, sometimes just day sessions other times for 3 or 4 days n nights at a time.
nothhing guite like eating dinner by the water,washed down with a can of beer!
last year i had a trip to spain, fishing for wels catfish. i wanted to try to catch one over the 100lb mark, i caught upto 97lb so i guess i will have to go back and try again grinnnn
now im putting something back into a sport i love, by serving on the committe of our local club with 1,900 members for the last 6 years.

#151467 March 16th, 2006 at 07:50 AM
Angel...ya need to fish Lake fork.tons of good spots.lots of large fish like bass too.I bet you'd like tube fishing8ya can fish where boats can't& are some now that can hook a trolling motor too(just don't get caught with a boat motor on one...they'll want your boating lisence shk and include a fine lala )
I'm lucky.I can fish real local...like walking/spitting distance& got 4-5 fishing holes to choose from& am near Toldeo Bend,Lake jackson,Sam Rayburn,Lake liveingston,Crystal lake,Lake tomahawk,trinity river.....

I could tell some fish storys.
Me& hubby caught the same fish once.I still say its MINE! I was bottom fishing,He was floating.fish SWALLOWED his stuff.Mine was hooked& I pulled it in to shore.He don't care much to fish with me& thats fine by me too.He's got nasty habit of crossing my line& stealing my batterys for them lighted bobbers.
I keep minnows on the porch.I recently got yelled at for fishing for 6 hours.He got hungry.I caught 11 fish that day too& only used 2 rods.I like crappie.I catch mostly bass,blue gill& catfish.I toss back mud cats.My fish guttings go into the compost pile.
My webshots albulm shows a few of the holes I fish under whitetail ridge.I mostly fish mud lake.Its said to be overstocked,but is a 30 ft channel thats got great cathcings& at night time you can catch bunches of crappie(crappie are easier to catch on them shorter poles.Largest bass I've caught is 11 lbs.Lake fork off FM 19 bridge resturant side.Largest crappie is 7 lbs.I caught 2 yesterday 1 bass 1 crappie.

We plan to go gulf fishing sometime.This year would be nice.I've ocean fished in FL.watched a guy catch a shark once too& ran when it tried to come on the pier.took him 5 hrs to reel it in.He used baracuda to catch it.Was a 7 ft shark a juvie they said.salt water fish have teeth.I got some looks in daytona when caught that saltwater catfish.I banged it against post.stomped on its head and yancked my line from its mouth.(I didn't know was a proper way to remove fish)

#151468 March 16th, 2006 at 09:17 AM
D
D
Big time angler here...I live by the biggest lake in Maryland. Spend all winter ice fishing, and open water out on the boat. Fishing is my number 1 hobby!

#151469 March 16th, 2006 at 10:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can attest that it's a great lake!!! I live really close to DeepCreekLake....like 35 minutes away.

We spend a lot of time up there in the summer.

We have about 8 fishing poles in the basement...Mark likes to have at least 2 going at the same time....I'm happy in my little chair, with my one pole.... laugh

#151470 March 16th, 2006 at 09:18 PM
Here's a biggie from our other main fishing hole.I like fishing Ms D's (Lake Sam)she'll bring out refreshments & when we fish at her place we useually leave her what we catch cause she builds them up and does a fish fry.
http://thumb3.webshots.com/s/thumb1/3/14/9/171831409YysJVA_th.jpg
That fish was just a 5 lb bass.He caught 3 that day and was a good meal.

Sooooo.....anyone tried them new salt soaked rubber bait??I've tried out 2 of them.I can't say I caught 40% more cause I'm partial to lures& minnows(I really like waterdogs,but they wanting $30 a doz this year& to think I thought $14 was outragous 5 years ago shk )

And for those who watch the fishing tournaments on ESPN....The McDoanlds fishing tournament comeing up.Those who watched last yr Might rember about the sam rayburn tournament.A 11 yr old Kid won 1st place .His fish weighed 11.57 lbs& netted him a new Hummer& triton boat + $1000 cash(They sold the boat)And the lil squirt won in the 1st hour of fishing.The tournament goes to Lake fork in sept& we have talked about entering it(We'll decide on the 12th of sept)
And as to the professional tournaments.....I'm a Van Dam fan& I like watching bass tech&Loadmouth bass.(And I really liked the teched boat they did last year that included an X box for fishing game..mini fridge,the lighted steering wheel.....)

I have 4 fishing poles,but only use about 3 of um.hubby has more poles,but I got more stuff in my tackle box them him (plus I have a better box).When I was about 12 or 13 I use to go fishing all day& bring fish home for grandma to clean.when grandma wasn't visiting I use to carry them to neighbor.Mom has a picture of me at age 3 fishing on our houseboat.I grew up fishing in TN elk river,Tims Ford,A place we called devils step.Over in normandy near the dam(& near george dickle distillary)And I skipped school once(I was about 15 or 16)& me& some friends went to Scottsburo AL and fished some lake and got caught by the game warden.All our fishing lisences we're TN.I actually had 20 hours of public service work to do for the state park& got suspended for 3 days which was spent as home suspension which I spent those 3 days fishing.Friend Wendy actually didn't get charged cause she actually held a valid AL fishing lisence cause of her parents being divorced and fished with her dad so was legal....but she did get suspended....and her dad bought us new poles.I think I got grounded too.

#151471 March 17th, 2006 at 09:20 AM
D
D
Deep Creek is alot of fun to fish. The panfish in that lake get pretty big, the walleye fishing is great too! Also catch trout in the spring on the lake heres a pic of a bruin Brown trout I caught last year. We had a field day with the trout that day, caught and released many of them, and the weekend after as well! We catch fish all year long in the lake, the ice fishing is alot of fun! [Linked Image]

#151472 March 17th, 2006 at 09:44 AM
OP Offline
woooooo! What a beaut! Good Picture!!! thumbup

#151473 March 17th, 2006 at 10:22 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That's one big fish...

#151474 March 19th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to fish!!!! And luckly, so does my wife!! Our favorite to fish for is catfish and bream/bluegill. Linda likes to eat the bream/bluegill and bass. So, I try to catch a few bass for her. But, my favorite to eat is catfish! Give me a golden fried cat, a good ripe tommato, some soup beans, fresh sweet onion, some fried okra, and a glass of sweet tea, and...... well, it just don't get any better than that!!

A few years ago my brother and I went fishing on the TN river at Paris Landing. We were "bumping bottom" for big cats. We were drifting along and my rod began to slowly bend further and further.... no sudden "jerk." Finally, I picked up the rod and pulled back on it. It felt as though I was hooked on the bottom or on a big log. I was kind of irritated at the though of loosing another rig. So, I let off a little slack and jerked back hard. That time it jerked back!! I was a bit off balance and the jerk was so hard that I almost went for a swim!!

Long story short, it was a monster cat!! I had 50 pound test line on and a steel leader at the end of that. But, the way this guy was fighting, I was afraid I might loose him.

After about 30 minutes of fighting him, I finally got him close enough to the surface that I could see him. He was huge.... do you hear me..... HUGE!!! It looked like his mouth was big enough that my size 13 boot would have had no problem fitting into his mouth!! And he was easily over 3 1/2 feet long!!

My brother got the huge dip net that we had and was going to try to net him. About the instant that the net broke the surface of the water, Mr. Kitty Kat rolled hard and dove for the bottom like a rocket!! In a split second he broke my 50 pound test line like it was rotten sewing thread, broke my rod in two, and snapped my real out of it's holder in the rod!!

I wouldn't have eaten him..... he was too big!! The bigger cats like that have too much fat on them and don't have a good taste to me. But, I sure like catching them!! And, I was soooooo disapointed that I didn't get to take a pic with him. But, I did get to look him eyeball to eyeball!! And, he was a beauty!!

#151475 March 19th, 2006 at 07:03 AM
OP Offline
Wow You must have had your chest puffed out big as a helium balloon!! How exciting and exhauting! Good thing your brother was there is verify this big one that got away lala lala laugh

#151476 April 7th, 2006 at 09:26 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
When does fishin' season start??????

#151477 April 7th, 2006 at 09:36 AM
I dunno Weezie, but reading this, I am looking very forward to camping and fishing this year!

#151478 April 8th, 2006 at 07:34 AM
OP Offline
The other day I was really wanting to go fishing., the wind was calm and a nice 73 degrees water wouldn't be choppy I think I may have to Kidnap Jimmy for a afternoon and go throw some lines in some weekend real soon!!

Hey think it might be a volunteer Kidnapping?? lala laugh laugh laugh wink

#151479 April 9th, 2006 at 05:12 AM
I don't think it is kidnapping when the victum goes willingly.

#151480 April 9th, 2006 at 05:46 AM
L
L
Hi Weezie,
Up here in Ont Can Every fish has a different start date So you have be careful what you fish for.
Dave

#151481 April 9th, 2006 at 07:06 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Triss:
I don't think it is kidnapping when the victum goes willingly.
I know that!!! p I was just funnin' ya know wink laugh laugh

#151482 April 9th, 2006 at 08:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I was wondering about the starting dates..
Because I've seen cars parked where they go fishing and wondered..
But I didn't think our season here had "offically" started yet....

Our boys want to go with their sudo "Uncle" in his boat.. they've got their fishin' boxes..
*nothing in them yet* but they're ready...
*they like the boat part the best*

#151483 April 10th, 2006 at 10:51 AM
L
L
Know what you mean about 'the boat part the best' They sound just like my grandkids Ones 10 the others 7 They love to get behind the wheel
Dave

#151484 April 10th, 2006 at 07:07 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I think, if I remember correctly.......
They went up to Lake Ontario the last time they went...
( sca I was a weeeeeee~bit skeee~redddd, for them, especially my littlest~wee~one..to be in such a big lake, they go to a smaller one around here....and I'm okay with that.. but that bbbbbbig one..YIKES!!)

Where do you go Dave???

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard