A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: 4Ruddy Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 11:55 AM
Okie dokie gang....any help, suggestions,blood sweat or tears is welcome! We have a LONG way to go with this baby...but...

There aint nothin this red headed momma can't do!! laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Inside the screened in porch..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 11:58 AM
WOW, the front is so cute. LOTS of potential in that yard.

Looks like you already have a beautiful lil Peanut growing there.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 11:59 AM
[Linked Image]

Peanut trying to take down the for sale sign... laugh He went over and kissed it first and I missed that shot...but it was a HOOT!!!

[Linked Image]

Goatbaby in the yard having a blast..they both played really hard while we were there!

[Linked Image]

Another outside shot...(and my truck that is FOR SALE eek )
Posted By: Merme Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:00 PM
Vanessa! talk about your diamond in the rough!

That place could be darling in no time at all... but like you said, lots of blood, sweat and tears!

thumbup thumbup thumbup

Merme
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:26 PM
[Linked Image]
Side view...this is the "add on from HE!!" I will be making reference to....a lot..

[Linked Image]

This is the garage (from HE!!) I will be making reference to....a lot...

[Linked Image]

Another shot of the garage...(from HE!!) laugh
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:36 PM
[Linked Image]

This a pic taken standing in the dining room..looking in to the kitchen...the door you see in the kitchen goes to the add on room.

[Linked Image]

This is standing in the add on looking into the kitchen...you can see the dining room...that lovely 1950 aqua shade...

[Linked Image]
This is my bedroom...
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:39 PM
wood floors throughout???
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:47 PM
I love it Vanessa. You do have work to do but every bit of it will be for YOU. And that makes all the difference in the world. And a wonderful blank slate you have.
~Tina
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:47 PM
I Love that front entry on the outside..
That arbor has lot's of potential...

Those last two pictures look an aweful lot alike..
are they or is it the new medicine I'm on???

Lot's of work ahead of you... will be on my
prayer list to get the job done..
but at least it's no tin can... wink wink kissies angell
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:47 PM
Oh, Vanessa...you will have that place fixed up in no time.

I am thrilled for you!
kissies

Cindy Faye
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:48 PM
Talk about a 3 way there..
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:52 PM
Okay...these are of the add on room...don't be scared...it will be fine...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Okay...the plan as of now...
The add on room will be completely gutted..dry walled and all 7 windows replaced. That room will be my washer/dryer/freezer, computer & sewing room. Eventually we will have to get a heating/air conditioner for it because there is no duct work out to that room...and we just cannot do that right now.

The garage will be closed in completely...that is where I will build my closets and it will be where I keep the tools/saws..basic work stuff.
The kitchen will have to have flooring and countertops. It really needs new cabinets desperately and the contractor gave us a SUPER good price because it would be easier to do them when he replaces the counter tops...but we just cannot swing that either...somewhere down the line hopefully. The bathroom is teeny tiny..it will have to have a commode & floor ...but the rest of the rooms are in pretty good shape and a good coat of paint and a little love will fix them right up!
The house has a ton of potential....
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:56 PM
It sure does Vanessa. Looks great! You are going to make it a home in no time flat!!!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 12:57 PM
We will keep the arbor...it will have to be repaired and raised...it is to short to walk under...I am taking the white landscape timbers out...and replacing with a mini picket fence.

The backyard will be fenced...but only up to the corner of the house...the front yard will not be fenced...but the corner (where Peanut was trying to remove the sign) is where my prized flagpole will go...and GARDENS, GARDENS, GARDENS.... thumbup

We will also eventually have to add a carport...it hails a lot around here and you have to have something to park under.

I will not do anything to the outside until spring...I'm sure I will STILL be painting till then...altthough Lisa will be doing a bulk of the painting afyer Ruf sprays the ceiling...

Anybody in good with Extreme Home Make~over??? laugh Do I have a job for THEM...

~V~
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:01 PM
So wish I could jump over and help you with all that Vanessa. How is the roof. I bet a window heat/air unit would make that back room easier to be in until you can get the duct work into it. To be able to have your washer/dryer and other stuff there will help keep it warm as well.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:01 PM
wood floors throughout???
Yes...but I wont keep them wood...

Uh yep Weez, you are correct..that isn't my bedroom...I made a boo boo...I was a little shakey...I thought I had blown up the forum earlier....Bill would have just KILLED me... laugh

~V~
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:02 PM
Lots of potential there, and it doesn't all have to be done tomorrow so you can pace yourself. You will have it fixed up in no time and it will be great. I really like the opening into the kitchen from the dining room it makes it look larger and I like 50's aqua.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:06 PM
[Linked Image]

Okay..this is REALLY my bedroom. I LOVE the windows....
I couldn't get a pic of Peanut's room...but it has pretty windows also...very cheery...

We already have a lot of stuff for the house that was either left over from the Horatio house re~do...and stuff we never got done to the other house. I have ALL of the material for the bathroom...All of the stuff I have been colleting for Peanut's & my bedrooms...

The dining room is really nice and I cannot wait to get you all some pics of the kitchen.

~V~
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:08 PM
Is the kitcehn big enough for you to do all of your baking and cooking???
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:14 PM
I love those big windows! grinnnn
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:17 PM
Vaness,
I am so happy for you and I agree, lots of potential there - you will make it home in no time at all- and it will be yours too that is what counts the most-- good thing you kept the stuff you have to do the repair work- I know it will be beautiful in no time at all..... bet Peanut will love being able to play outdoors too.... just smiling at how things have turned out for you!
Nana
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:17 PM
Yep, windows are awesome... lots of light = lots of plants!!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:29 PM
The roof on the house is fairly new ...the problem was they did not re~roof the add on room at the samt time and there is a lot of dry rot...and allowed leaks in that room...that is why it has to be gutted. I am going to build window shelves in that room, that will be my greenhouse as well... grinnnn Ther are 7 windows in that room very close together...it will be beautiful I think.
The kitchen is a WONDERFUL size! Lot's of countertop and cabinets...a great walk~in pantry and I have it in my head how to make it a wonderful workable kitchen...of course I am really excited about that room.
We already have a built in entertainment center for the living room. It is just like the one we had at the other house...we made a pattern and cut one out to bring with us here...

~V~
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:31 PM
Well that was a good idea Vanessa. Smart thinking. Like the window shelf idea.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:35 PM
I am going to build window shelves in that room, that will be my greenhouse as well... Ther are 7 windows in that room very close together...it will be beautiful I think.
grinnnn

I'm glad I woke up to see this topic.
I think your house is awesome, Vanessa!
Posted By: Patty S Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:38 PM
Vanessa, I just can't tell you how totally THRILLED I am for you! That's a PALACE! You are going to have SOOO much enjoyment, fixing that place up & settling in! Sure it's gunna be a lot of work, but my oh my, the rewards! Looks like Peanut is going to love it, too! I'm SO happy! kissies
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:42 PM
I am just SOOOO anxious!!! I wanna get started ....YESTERDAY!!! laugh

I also meant to tell you that I found a garage outlet store in Little Rock and went to check it out...OMG...I could NOT believe the quality stuff they had for almost nothing! I had priced a mirror for the bathroom (the one there is cracked bad) at Wal~mart...it was like $15.00...I found the same exact one at this outlet place for $6.00....they also have beautiful lamps, decorative items and some furniture at dirt prices...next to nothing. So now I know where to go when I get ready to do some of that stuff...
I am going to be checking the other furniture outlets next week for ....are you ready.....A MATTRESS...I'm gonna have me a BED!!!! That will be my house warming gift..... thumbup

~V~

~V~
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 01:43 PM
YEAH!!!!!!
Posted By: Nako Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 02:03 PM
I love these kinds of houses smile There's always something to do there! I'll definately be keeping up with this one!
Posted By: barleychown Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 08:35 PM
Oh, Vanessa! I am so happy for you! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 09:04 PM
I am sooooooo EXCITED for ya'll.Nessa. That is a wonderful looking home thumbup I can't wait to see what you do with that entranceway...I can foresee some beautiful gardening there!

I'm really happy to see that you finally have a BIG kitchen again,don't know what I'd do without mine.

The chandelier in the dining room is really pretty and I love the one in your bedroom.

Why are you getting rid of the hardwood floors?...they're so Pretty !
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 10:11 PM
Hardwood floors are nice & really pretty...if you don't have kids and have time & energy for the upkeep. I would have to rent a sander, restain and finish them...they are really in BAD shape after 5 years of renters. I don't know if you remember the pics of the floor I laid at the other house..it was a mock slate tile...looked exactly like stone and I really loved it. It was a very durable and long lasting flooring...and a breeze to keep up.
The light fixture were beautiful in their day. I couldn't get a close up of them because of lighting...but the one in the dining room is only half there..and the hit it with something and it is wonkerjawed over half the glass peices are missing.
Starting with a new slate...well...the dining and living room will be for sure since I sold all of the living room...down to the rug & wall hangings..the only thing I kept was my free standing clock. The same for the dining room...but I would have had to do it differently anyway since my kitchen & dining room were all one room in the other house and are seperate here...I LOVE that...now the kids willbe able to actually sit down to eat! Well...after I replace the table that is... laugh

~V~
Posted By: JV Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 11:00 PM
That looks like a geat house Vanessa that add on makes my back hurt just looking at it. Once you get it all done you will have a home to be very proud of. I am so happy for you.
Jimmy
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 11:22 PM
Well, Jimmy..pray hard that the sellers except our offer of paying for half of the repairs...if they do then the CONTRACTOR will be doing all of the hard back breaking stuff. All I will have to do is paint & lay flooring....I have never ever been able to use a contractor to do the work...that is why I had to learn to do finish work! I can lay some mean trim I tell ya! laugh I really don't mind the "work" it just really bothered me here that we were doing it for nothing and finally just stopped and strted try to live around the mess!
The painting will be a breeze because I have a hard working DIL that is ALWAYS willing to help me...I would like to have the bulk of it done before spring tho, so I can devote most of my time to the yard.. grinnnn If you all could have seen how hard Peabut & goatbaby were playing in the yard yesterday ....you would realize for sure how much we NEED that yard.

~V~
Posted By: JV Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 15th, 2006 at 11:38 PM
I could never do the carpenter and trim work but seemed like always had a friend or family around that was willing to do it for a beer or a meal. I wired all my houses if they needed it as well as did some plumbing as needed. Praying hard they will accept and pay half. Looks like garage needs to be gutted just leave roof and start new on the sides and shelving.
Jimmy
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 12:41 AM
Looks like garage needs to be gutted just leave roof and start new on the sides and shelving.
That's the plan for the garage..it will be closed in completely.
I have to draw the line at electrical stuff...I am sure I could learn butI am kind of afraid of electricity for some reason! Dayne was my electrician...he could do anything. And..I had friends that would pitch in and do things like that at the other house...but I don't know anyone here so that will limit me to having to hire someone to do the stuff I cannot do...hub has never been much of a "handy man" although he has attempted to lear the past few years...it just goes faster & more smoothly if I just do it myself and be done with it!

~V~
Posted By: Merme Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 02:02 AM
Hi Nessa ~

Looking over these photos again this morning, I was sitting here dreaming about your front yard. How nice that is going to be!

And I had a small thought... wouldn't it be neat if eventually you could repeat the arbor around the front door itself, a smaller version to echo the visual impact of the other one?

Just a bit of whimsey for ya.

Merme
Posted By: tamara Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 02:34 AM
Vanessa, I am so excited for you. Wish I was close to give you a hand, I am the handywoman in my area here. I love carpentry.

What's the size of your house without the garage or add on, if you don't mind me asking.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 03:08 AM
I don't have a clue Tamara...I haven't seen the specs yet so I really don't know how to even gestimate it!

Merme...I was actually thinking of adding another arbor above the gate that will be in the front yard. I am afrain that putting one at the front door might be awkward because of the door actually being up a few steps and it would only be a short distance from the arbor that is already there...it will just take someplaying with...once I spend a little more time there I will have a better feel of the place. Right now my MIND IS there...and I cannot seem to get it back here...

~V~
Posted By: tamara Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 03:15 AM
I was just wondering because it looks about the size of mine, small but cozy. The smaller the house the cheaper to keep it in shape.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 03:17 AM
Originally posted by 4Ruddy:
Uh yep Weez, you are correct..that isn't my bedroom...I made a boo boo...I was a little shakey...I thought I had blown up the forum earlier....Bill would have just KILLED me... laugh

~V~
I thought you blew it up toooooo... wink wink laugh

I am just as excited as you are I think...
I just love that picture of your bedroom
*this time* so adorable..

I think I saw a picture of the back yard,
and that's cute too...I'll have to go back
and take another peak or I was dreaming it..
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 04:35 AM
Oh, Vanessa - I'm so very excited for you!!! Duh

Your yards look like really decent sizes!
I can imagine how your heart swells when you see Peanut and Goatbaby playing out there! thumbup
What fun you'll have planning new gardens!

Hope the sellers work with you, and that you can get everything going quickly now.
And... congrats on finding that great garage store!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 05:09 AM
yep, there is a pic of the backyard. I forgot to walk around and take a pic of the back of the garage area though...I am going to make a patio area out of that space!
I have a ton of plans in my head...I just don't want to have 10 projects started and going on at the same time...I like to start and get one COMPLETELY done and then move on to the next
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 05:11 AM
Hope the sellers work with you, and that you can get everything going quickly now.
Okay...that's the new prayer hot off the press!

~V~
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 16th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
OMG, that house is so cute! We looked at many houses around here that needed work too so I can relate...but you know what, it can be done...and you'll be able to do it just the way you want it to be done! thumbup

I love being able to see the pictures of it & I'm praying for you guys! thumbup
Posted By: Francine Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 17th, 2006 at 06:38 AM
vanessa,

what a superb romantic house,i can already imagine it with a lot of beautifull flowers and that arch in front is simply divine for vines.

doesn t matter if you don t do anything to the outside for this year cause with the gorgeous garden you gonna make,it s gonna look soooo romantic....

and as for the small bathroom..simply means that to save space you gonna have to be 2 in the shower,doesn it. laugh laugh kissies
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 17th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
vanessa I'm soooo happy for ya'll!!! I LOVE that house! I can't wait to see pictures when the house is fixed up!! good luck! you'll be in my prayers too smile
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 17th, 2006 at 11:59 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay...that's the new prayer hot off the press!
Well, as of yesterday they aren't real interested in helping with the repairs...of course I can understand that is the reason they have the house priced like it is....but I was sure hopeing they would help! So...I am spending the morning trying to figure out just what we will be able to do. Hub wants to go back and look at the "other" housewe looked at...because it is less ...and he is thinking that with the lower price, we might be able to aford the repairs on it easier. But...I promise I am NOT trying to be picky, I just LOVE this house so much...and the other one just didn't have that "homey" feeling for me. I know we have to do what will be more affordable to us right now...but the Ferguson house just has so much potential...and I really am comfortable in it...so..I'm not giving up..I am gonna try everything I can think of to make it work out!!!

~V~
Posted By: peppereater Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 18th, 2006 at 12:05 AM
Vanessa...we're all praying you get that house! And I don't pray!
If you could see where we live...well, it's much better than the add on from he!!, but it's a dump. That's okay, though, we have 20 acres. I spend more time by far planting trees and gardening than I do working on the house, but we'll get it done eventually. I know you'll have your dream home REALLY soon, it will just work out somehow. thumbup
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 18th, 2006 at 02:11 AM
Vanessa, I am still praying that you get "your" house. I know how it feels to get your hopes up to just have them dashed down to the ground...

I have always wanted a home that I could remodel. You might have your work cut out for you, but you will have so much fun getting it exactly the way that you want it...

Dianna
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 18th, 2006 at 04:08 AM
Hi there!!!
the house is sooo cute and like everyone said, there is a TON of potential. The yard will be great once you get it fixed up, under the windows i would put some window boxes to add color to the front and a big pot besside the fornt door, and put that with your flag pole, it will look fantastic. The arbor is definetly a keeper but i am not to fussy on the little fence. Maybe a little garden up the sides with small shrubs would look good.
Good Luck and Congrats!!
Cheers...
Penny
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 18th, 2006 at 12:29 PM
Thanks Penny..I like to hear every one's ideas...it DOES have so much potential...
The green siding is a a color I would personally not have put on a house...but at the same time not one that I mind either....I knew I had to try for THIS house because (this is real crazy) about 5 years ago I found the neatest wash tub on a tall stand...the tub is the cream spotted GREEN enamal...I have always had it in my yard and it has never really "matched" anything,,,it was just pretty with petunias flowering over the sides...but it is actually the same exact color of the house....how funny is that!
Well...I didn't hear anything from the relator today as planned...she never returns calls when she says she will...maybe tomorrow....maybe it will be good news....

~V~
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 18th, 2006 at 12:37 PM
I'm praying for good news for you V!!!! kissies angell
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 18th, 2006 at 10:38 PM
Hi Vanessa,
i to hope that the news is good, the house is adorable and there is so much potential with it.
The color isnt so bad on the house and from what you said about the wash tub, maybe its meant to be. You have to keep me posted on the progress of how its going, but please dont get rid of thr arbor out front, i would love to have an arbor but in my fornt yard the is no place for one, i have a hedge about 3 1/2 feet high that runs along the property, but i have to admit its good for keeping people off the grass, the hedge hurts!!!
Hopefully you will have great news today....
Cheers...
Penny
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 18th, 2006 at 11:21 PM
Nope..I wouldn't EVEN think of getting rid of the arbor...as a matter of fact...I am thinking of adding another one! The exsisting one will have to be repaired but it is certainly a keeper!!!

Vanessa...we're all praying you get that house! And I don't pray!
thumbup

The prize is....

An all expense paid trip to Ferguson Street to paint,caulk, till and PLANT!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

~V~
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 18th, 2006 at 11:26 PM
The prize is....

An all expense paid trip to Ferguson Street to paint,caulk, till and PLANT!!!!!
Vanessa...I doubt if I would win a contest, but I might show up to paint, caulk, till and plant anyway! I'm trying my best to figure out how to get there this spring. grinnnn

Cindy Pearl
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 18th, 2006 at 11:43 PM
! I'm trying my best to figure out how to get there this spring.
I'll come get you...it may be by horse back cuz I think hay is cheaper than gas right now... laugh

Now...if I can just figure out a way to get that backhoe here.... kissies
~V~
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 12:35 AM
Hi Vanessa, wavey
glad to hear that the arbor is staying, it will look great once it is fixed up Duh provided that all goes well with the sale.
i would LOVE to get started on my gardens BUT we have snow and that wont happen until April muggs
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 12:50 AM
have you any thoughts as to what you are going to do to the outside?
Yeah...my thoughts are...I'm gonna let everybody here TELL me what to do! laugh I have seeds from most everybody here to get started with...so this is TRUELY going to be a GH yard, that will be what will make it special...since I am getting to start with a clean slate...
I am also thinking of having everyone send me a rock (a small one) for the rock garden...so I will have a rock from everywhere representing the forum...I am really a sap when it comes to sentimental things...and I think that would be just awsome!

~V~
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 12:50 AM
The point being...

I can't kill a ROCK!!!! laugh laugh laugh

~V~
Posted By: JV Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 01:11 AM
Rocks?? laugh ok I have a fossil I will sent you . Got it when we were digging basement for one of these tall buildings in Dallas if my memory serves me right I think it was found about 100 ft below ground level while we were excavating the site in the 80's.
Jimmy
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 01:37 AM
thumbup and i agree it would very whimsy indeed. Let me know when you want the rocks sent, where i live we have a shale near by and there are all kinds of fossils in them, they really are quite neat wink . i was thiknig about what you said about everyone helping witht the garden, i have a neighbor that plants thngs at night, she likes how she cant see and that each time is unique when they bloom, i dotn knwo if i would have the nerve for that!!! muggs
Penny
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 04:45 AM
LOVE the rock idea Vanessa, you will have to let us know when you want them. Now to find a rock as I need them for my garden as well and none in sight.

Any news from the realtor today???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 05:09 AM
Cool idea with the rocks....

I have lots of them around here, actually when Jiffy was here she was having us stop so she could get rocks to take back for her rock garden! Duh
Posted By: JV Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 06:55 AM
Nana should have some petrified rock near her. If not she could go to the Garden of the Gods and sneak a rock or petrified wood out. laugh Also west Coasters mainly the ones in Ca. should be able to come up with some.
Jimmy
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 07:03 AM
Got rocks. Just let me know when.
A friend of mine in New Zealand sends all of her friends looking for natural 'heart' shaped rocks. Hand sized. That is so cool. I keep on looking.
~Tina
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 09:11 AM
[Linked Image]

DOING THE PEANUTS HAPPY DANCE for Vanessa, Ruf, and our own Peanut!!! kissies
We've certainly got rocks here in Rockland County! laugh
I'll have to look for some pretty ones once this weather pretties up. wink
Great idea, by the way! idea
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 09:29 AM
Send them ANYTIME now...I HAVE ROOM!!! thumbup

We use to have Rose rocks where I lived in Oklahoma...they were so pretty...wvwn our driveway had a ton of them...but I haven't seen any in years!
Okay..here's the question...is there anyway to PERMAENANTLY mark a rock? I was trying to think of a way to write the name of who sent it on the bottom...is that possible? I am SOOOO excited!!!

Penny..I actually do a lot of planting by the light of the moon..my grandfather had a "saying" about it..(and I can't think of it right now) but it was suppose to assure a healthy crop for the Indians...I cheat a little and have a flouresent flash light that helps my feeble eyes...but it has always worked...I seem to hang with what works... thumbup

I gotta get the cleaning/painting done first before we really start digging...but I really can't safely start planting for a few months anyway...so the timing will work out perfectly!!!

~V~
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 09:41 AM
I am sure planting by the light of the moon came about cuz people with kids had NO OTHER TIME to do it cept when the kids were in bed.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 10:18 AM
Well, that is exactly why I started doing so much..that and insomnia.. For a long time after Peanut's surgery...he couldn't be outside mush because of his lung...so I rarely got to go out and it was killing me...I thrive in the sunshine..it is life to me and I live outdoors in the summer because I cannot tolorate air conditioning...so...it was nothing for hub to come in of swing shift at midnight and me be out in the back yard gardening...we had a wonderful privacy fence so it was really nice...we wont have a privacy fence here so my new neighbors are gonna think a crazy has moved in!!!!

Well, actually they wont have to "think" about it much...they will know for sure.... :rolleyes:

~V~
Posted By: JV Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 05:22 PM
Vanessa my granddad said your crops have to be planted in the dark of the moon before May first. meaning the moon cycle he didn't plant at night. We use to hace what they called desert rose in New Mexico was calcite rock in perfect shape of a rose. If I still had any oe new if there were still any around I would get you some. Maybe next time I go back home I can find some for you.
Jimmy
Posted By: princessazlea Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 08:57 PM
Vanessa I'm so pleased for you and your family.
flw flw clp
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 19th, 2006 at 11:43 PM
Vanessa,
Okay..here's the question...is there anyway to PERMAENANTLY mark a rock? I was trying to think of a way to write the name of who sent it on the bottom...is that possible? I am SOOOO excited!!!
I know spray paint eventually chips off..
But if you find a tool, like they would etch or carve into the stone *kinda like a tombstone*
Thats' the only way I know of, to make it permenate...

I keep looking back at the first pictures..
Ohhhhhhhh, how I would love to have that arbor..
I just think there's sooooooo many flower's you could have growing up there.. I'd have to have about 23 arbors to grow all the vines that would look reallllly beautiful there...
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 12:44 AM
I know Weezie...I am having a REAL hard time deciding just what I want to plant for the arbor..and I plan on adding another one by the gate when we fence the yard...so that will give me another "vining" place! I am really WAY excited about the rock garden as well...I am HOPING (hint hint) that Bill will kind of do a lay out of how I can do it..(hint hint)he has a way of laying that stuff out where they just have that really "natural" neat look!!!
I am so ready to get in the yard that I am having a hard time putting together the plan of action for the inside!!!! laugh

~V~
Posted By: tamara Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 01:26 AM
I'll send you a rock also but the way it's been snowing you might have to wait until June. laugh
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 01:39 AM
I am also thinking of having everyone send me a rock (a small one) for the rock garden...so I will have a rock from everywhere representing the forum...I am really a sap when it comes to sentimental things...and I think that would be just awsome!
Vanessa...I have a nice rock picked out for you, but I am in the process of putting my name, state and date on it...and it is going pretty SLOW! If I try to do it too fast I'll chip the rock.

If anyone is sending rocks, don't forget the post office has 2 different size boxes that have flat-rate postage. No matter how much it weighs, the postage is $7.70.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 01:52 AM
Oh...I ment to mention those flat rate boxes...and I will GLADLY pay the postage...it's really an exciting project for me...
Jimmy sent me a pick of the fossil rock he is sending me...it is WAY cool!!!

~V~
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 03:31 AM
How are you labeling your rock Cindy? I was thinking of using one of Dan's dremmels to etch something in ours.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 03:35 AM
The dremmel tool would be the best way...
I am doing it the old-fashioned way!
...hammer and chisel!

My Dremmel is packed up..... :rolleyes:
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
You guys are the best...I never thought I would say that a ROCK was the best housewarming gift you could get...but I am thinking it is!!!!I am WAY excited..finally got the utilities lined out...everything should be on by Monday...and that is REALLY exciting..

AND...They are suppose to have the SOLD sign up TODAY...WOO HOO..but I may have already mentioned that...

and did I mention that my BRAIN is bruised!!!!

~V~
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 04:43 AM
No wonder you are being careful Cindy. I think I would break a finger or two not to mention the rock if I went that way.

A sold sign is great! Did they sign the papers yet?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 05:41 AM
Here ya go, Vanessa sweetie!
Your happy green house with a SOLD sign in front! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 06:05 AM
Woohoo, the sold sign going up today is great! clp

V, do you mind if I paint your rock???? I have a perfect rock in mind, and if I put a bunch of coats of sealer on it, it should be okay outside---I painted a big concrete frog that I rescued from a yard sale and he's been outside all the time and looks as good as he did the day I put him out....
Posted By: Fernie Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 07:54 AM
Hi, I was thinking about your rock idea 'Nessa. Could you maybe take a pic of each one as it comes in and make a scrapbook of with a note for each picture saying who sent the rock, where from and whatever the story behind it? That would be a lot of work tho.

Acutally I have a rock for you!! I went to a women's retreat (the info is written in magic marker on the back of the rock) at a convent here in Idaho. The rock is some kind of different rock (basalt or something? can't remember) that they used to build the convent and the quarry on the nun's land here in Idaho and a couple different places in Africa are the only places this rock exists. I will try to find out the actual story before I send it off to you.

Hey, if you come help me paint, I will come help you!!!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 08:59 AM
FERNIE...that is SO awsome about the rock...see how VERY neat this is turning out...I will probably BAWL as each one arrives!!!!
And I love the scrapbook idea...that wont be too much work at all...that's what I'm gonna DO!!!
Thanks FERNIE kissies see why I MISS you so much!!!

A sold sign is great! Did they sign the papers yet?
Refer to Major news thread Triss..(about the signing)

Cinja...hub is REAL worried about you...when I told him you had a hammer & chisel out he FREAKED...he asked me if I thought it was SAFE for you to actually be doing that.....

UH...NO.....

~V~
Posted By: JV Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 09:45 AM
Vanessa will wait until you move and let us have the ADDRESS so we can send you our rocks.
Jimmy
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 11:19 AM
Well...you certainly can but I am just fine with you sending them here...(it's only a mile away. I know that I will have the tin can till the end of February....we may not have to stay here that long but I have to give a 30 day notice the first so it will be ours till then. But we will also be at the ferguson house every day...so how ever you want to do it just ticles me pink! Okay...not pink...that isn't one of my more favorite colors... laugh

~V~
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 20th, 2006 at 11:22 AM
and besides...all you have to do is juggle the #'s around from the address here and change the street to Ferguson...everything else will remain the same.

~V~
Posted By: geegeeburr Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 21st, 2006 at 06:31 AM
Hey, Vanessa, what a great house, and I love the rock idea! I'm so glad for you that you found such a great place. The best thing about a house that needs some work is that you get to really make it your own.
Congratulations!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 22nd, 2006 at 02:32 AM
Hi Vanessa wavey

I am so happy for you with the house,its sooo exciting wink
once you post your address i will send a rock to you, but i will have to wait until the snow melts. these rocks are sooo cool, they have little fossils in them, very neat thumbup

Congrats again flw
Penny
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 09:42 AM
Things are boomin on Ferguson Street...gas, lights, water...what more could you ask for...)UH..paint, caulk, etc...)

So, off to Little Rock bright & early in the morning to get what supplies we can...starting with another new broom! I wish my mother would have NEVER shared that deal with me...have you all ever heard that you are to never move a broom from your old house to the new one? You have to leave your broom at the old house and start with a new one at the new house...trust me...she would forever haunt me if I didn't follow the rules!!!!
Leon met me at the house and checked the insulation in the roof...he is anxious to get started...I am anxious for him to get started!!!

Was on the phone this afternoon with the insurance company and got that ball rollin...

All is well on Ferguson Street... luv

~V~
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 09:46 AM
...have you all ever heard that you are to never move a broom from your old house to the new one? You have to leave your broom at the old house and start with a new one at the new house...
Why??? sca
I never heard this...and I always take my broom! shk
Is that what's wrong with me??? nutz
Posted By: barleychown Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 09:52 AM
Depends, Cindy. laugh laugh

I ride mine to my new house...what am I suppose to do? Walk? Duh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 10:12 AM
What's a broom???
Posted By: JV Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 10:20 AM
Vanessa glad things are going so good for you. I heard if you tie a red rag around your broom it would be safe my first wife use to do that. Billie and I never did we always took our old broom with us to the new house. Hmmm Cindy may have a point that could be what's wrong with me too. laugh
Jimmy
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 10:59 AM
Barley...you bout made me have another accident with me grapette!

Why???
I never heard this...and I always take my broom!
Is that what's wrong with me???
Might be...My mother always said that you NEVER take the old broom to a new house because it was bad luck. Youare suppose to get a new broom for your new house..and sweep from the front door to the back...and then sweep from the back door to the front to sweep out any "negatives" that the previous owners might have left. I have also heard that you are suppose to sprinkle mint &lavender all through your house and sweep the same as above to sweep the blues out of your house. If you make a littl doll out od Rosemary and place it in your home it is suppose to attract good omens or make a "broom" out of the Rosemary and sweep your house...it is suppose to help you focus on getting tasks completed and invites happy thoughts and friends to share your table and your home. Looks like Iam gonna be doing a LOT of sweeping!
I am really not superstitious, I just think those are fun little things..

~V~
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 11:54 AM
No wonder I have been so screwed...I don't sweep much. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 12:21 PM
I am with ya on that one Cindy, though we did leave our brooms in Nebraska. And we are starting to grow rosemary, so maybe we will get lucky afterall laugh
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 01:13 PM
Uh...it's kinda lookin like it worked for me!!! thumbup laugh

you guys, I am just so excited about this move..because I know that Peanut is going to have a "HOME" now...and that is really what I have wanted for him.. I guess tonight I have felt like I have gone on about this like a silly kid or something...it certainly isn't like it is my first house or anything...but it will be Peanut's first home..and that is where my excitement comes from. He didn't ask for any of this stuff to happen and he surely didn't deserve to live the way we have been living....I just want the very best for him and I know that I can't always provide that although I do try really hard.
We ran in to one of the ladies that works at his school in the store tonight...she had the most wonderful things to day about Peanut...she said he is doing so well at school...even though he is having to deal from the terrors still. And Peanut just lit up like a Christmas tree when he saw her. They love him so much at the school and that is all that gets me through having him away from me during the day....

I am just so thankful for all of the wonderful things that are going on right now...it's all about the P~Nutty!

~V~
Posted By: Triss Re: Welcome to Ferguson Street - January 24th, 2006 at 02:32 PM
You know they are doing something right Vanessa when he is happy about seeing one of his teachers! That is AWESOME!!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]