A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Anonymous How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 04:41 AM
Just curious.....

Mine happened on Xmas day of 1998. On Xmas eve I found the ring box all wrapped up and I was sure it was an engagement ring....after Mark went to bed I had Mom and Allison shake it....they kept telling me not to get my hopes up.

Xmas Morning I saved it for last and when I opened it Mark froze up. His face turned red and I was looking at it saying how pretty it was. Finally mom said, well is it an engagement ring? I didn't want to say yes in case I was somehow wrong. Mark got a nod out and that was it. Later he told me he was so nervous he couldn't talk--that he barely slept all night. laugh

After he nodded yes, mom said well lets have a drink and celebrate...It was only 9:30 in the morning. laugh In her excitement she forgot it was so early.

So I didn't have a big fancy proposal and now I pick on him about it....but it was still really special to me. I'll never forget his face turning beet red and everyone looking from me to him. laugh That entire day it felt like I was walking on the clouds. I couldn't stop looking at it and thinking about the fact that we were going to get married! grinnnn
Posted By: chenno Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 04:52 AM
Loz...That is sweet...

I was only 18 and to be honest he just said,Ang let's tie the knot. I was not sure if he meant around my neck or marriage... laugh
Not very romantic,but our wedding was simply yet very nice. still no honeymoon:-( and it will be 23 years next month. well we did have a night at the hotel in the bridal suite...lol I think that is where my son came to be shocked
Still hoping for a honeymoon...
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 04:56 AM
How did you get proposed to
Which time? laugh

I think I have blocked them all out of my memory. nutz laugh
Posted By: chenno Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 04:59 AM
laugh laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:00 AM
That is great Loz.

I do not recall vividly Dan asking me to marry him. I think it was our 2nd date, but it was not a major event but rather more of a confirmation of what we both already knew before we even met.

He would probably tell the story differently cuz he remembers every detail but I just remember it as a given.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:08 AM
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> How did you get proposed to
Which time? laugh

I think I have blocked them all out of my memory. thumbup
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:13 AM
Originally posted by loz:
Cindy! laugh laugh thumbup
OK...my favorite one was when I told John I was pregnant, and he said "Oh, crap! We're gonna have to get married now!" shk
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:14 AM
You asked for it! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:16 AM
Oh my goodness Cindy! laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:17 AM
You asked for it! laugh laugh laugh
Yes I did, I should've known better huh? laugh p laugh
Posted By: Karrie Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:19 AM
We went to see a funny movie, I think it was Ace Ventura pet detective. He was odd all night long and quiet he never once laughed during the movie. We had dinner he said I need to talk to you about something, I said ok. He stood up felt his pockets and sat back down and said forget it. I was like ok what is his deal. We drove home in silence. Then when we pulled in ot his grandparents drive way I said "Ok what is your problem, your being a jerk you didn't talk to me at dinner and have been weird all might long. If you want to break up with me just do it but don't be an idiot in the process."

He looked horrified and said no no , here. He had asked me to marry him 2 times before, both times I had said no, we haven't known each other long enough yet and we are young. He gave me the ring still at the second proposal. As he said here and handed me the second ring, he said you can even open this box until you say yes. I said yes of course and almost 12 years later here we are! We were 18 at proposa, and 19 at the wedding. Talk about young. He first proposed 2 weeks after he met me. At Graduation.
Posted By: Karrie Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:21 AM
I forgot to add he had left the ring in the glove box which is why when he said we need to talk at the restaurant he changed his mind when he realized he had left ring in the glove box. lol
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:23 AM
That is a great one Karrie!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:25 AM
That is great, I agree! thumbup

I forgot to add I was 23 when we got married and this year will be 7 years married....9 years together on Aug. 30th. thumbup
Posted By: chenno Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:31 AM
Cool Karrie...This is a neat topic Loz
Posted By: Karrie Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:33 AM
This is the best part of our whole wedding. We had a very simple wedding. It cost like 600 reception dress and all. Well his mother paid for us to have a 1 night honeymoon in a hotel down town. Well when we got there the appologized and said that the honey moon suite was unexpectedly under construction someone had crashed their car through the building. Well fine who cares we just said any room is fine we went to our room there on the dresser was a basket with fruit and wine in it said congrats newly weds. It was placed lovely on the dresser between 2 single beds. lol The look on Ricks face was priceless. He wouldn't even come in to the room. He just stood in the hall with the suitcase, saying what were they thinking, I ain't gonna push those beds together. lol I had to go down to the front desk and ask them what they were thinking all along Rick stands in the hall way mad as I have ever seen him. The were like oops but couldn't find us another room. We went home.
Posted By: chenno Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:38 AM
frown awwww
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:56 AM
Oh dear, I think I would have been pretty upset too!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:56 AM
I have been with Brad for almost 18 years and did everything backwards, and about 5 years ago we just decided that we should "finally" do it, we never hid the fact from the kids that we were not married and they were talking about how much fun it would be to go to mom and dad's wedding, so i just took it from there and we went to the justice of the peace and did it...to be honest..i think the girls were more excited about it then we were.
Nothing fancy and simple...the way i wanted it.
And after the ceremony we went and played pool in our fancy clothes and had hot wings with champagne laugh
Posted By: Tonya Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 05:59 AM
Doug proposed to me with a Keystone Light in one hand and a bag of garbage in the other. He knelt down and said "wanna get hitched?" laugh laugh This August will be 3 years! cool We went to a justice of the peace and went home and did tequilla shots! thumbup nutz laugh laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 06:00 AM
Sounds just like mine and i wouldnt have changed it for anything!
Posted By: Tonya Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 06:02 AM
It didn't all happen on one day like that post sounded...we had to wait for my divorce to be final. I was divorced less than 2 hours when Doug and I were married! laugh laugh It took that long to get the witnesses and get from the courthouse in SC to the one in NC!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 06:19 AM
laugh laugh Thats funny...but you are happy and thats all that matters...even if they do drive us nuts some days!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 07:13 AM
A-M-E-N! thumbup muggs they have their days, but I still love him! cool
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 08:25 AM
Well Me and Keith knew we would both be married before we even met each other(we met on the net)
we had talked for 6 months.. and continued to grow closer..We did very traditional..Dated the first year got engaged...
He did it in the middle of a reastaurant in front of EVERYONE!!!.The whole gettine down on the knee and everything..My face was so red..Ohh I kept telling him stand up stand up.. Ohhh god I was sooo embarrassed!! But cute none the less..
Then a year after we got married very traditional(am I kidding Myself) 5 second wedding and a 5 hour Party..We walked to Stevie Nicks Leather and lace our first dance Nothing else Matters (Metallica)Ohh yeah I forgot Tylind and I also had a dance Sweet Child O mine Guns and Roses.. ohhh we had one Hell of a great time!!
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 08:36 AM
WOW Rita, I thought I was the only one who met my hubby online!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 08:43 AM
Nope Mee Too ... 8 years ago..now.. thumbup
Posted By: Karrie Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 08:44 AM
I wasn't upset about the hotel, I thought it was funny. I will never forget the way Rick stood out in that hall. I about died when he said I refuse to push those beds together. I actually had to hide my laughter because he didnt find any of it funny. He even called his mom and said what were you thinking, like she could control the hotel construction. lol
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 08:54 AM
We just had our 7th anniversary at the beginning of the month.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 08:59 AM
Wedding or Dating hahaa I like our first time we met the best Oct 13th 1998.. It was the best and favorite memory I have...
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 09:03 AM
Where did you meet and wheere were you both living when you met online?
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 09:11 AM
I was in The Dalles Oregon and he was in Andover Massachusetts ... I flew here and never went back shocked thumbup I guess we should of been completely Embarrassed at the airport though. shocked ..

How about you and Dan??
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 09:17 AM
laugh

We were both in Sacramento at the time. We met online and were planning to meet in person that week but he had an out of town business trip. So the entire 2 weeks he was out of town, we talked for hours each night and when he came back to town, he came over to my place and we had dinner.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 09:25 AM
Ohh That is sooo cool!! I really liked meeting him online there was no Pressure.. No arguing or anything wierd.. I think we had a better chance to get to know one another.. It was great!!
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 09:35 AM
Very true Rita. I felt I knew him more in two weeks than I had in the other guys I had dated for longer periods of time.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 09:40 AM
I think it is awsome to know someone mentally before physically...I thought it added sooo much more to the beginning of our realationship!
Posted By: chenno Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 10:39 AM
That is cool you guys!!! I agree, before the physical,knowing someone.. thumbup
Posted By: Amigatec Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:18 PM
How did you get proposed to
Which time? laugh

I think I have blocked them all out of my memory. nutz laugh
How many have there been?

I am on my first and ONLY marriage, till death do us part.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:21 PM
Awww...how sweet.... cool smile
Posted By: Amigatec Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Karrie:
This is the best part of our whole wedding. We had a very simple wedding. It cost like 600 reception dress and all. Well his mother paid for us to have a 1 night honeymoon in a hotel down town. Well when we got there the appologized and said that the honey moon suite was unexpectedly under construction someone had crashed their car through the building. Well fine who cares we just said any room is fine we went to our room there on the dresser was a basket with fruit and wine in it said congrats newly weds. It was placed lovely on the dresser between 2 single beds. lol The look on Ricks face was priceless. He wouldn't even come in to the room. He just stood in the hall with the suitcase, saying what were they thinking, I ain't gonna push those beds together. lol I had to go down to the front desk and ask them what they were thinking all along Rick stands in the hall way mad as I have ever seen him. The were like oops but couldn't find us another room. We went home.
Trust me I WOULD have found a way!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn
Posted By: Amigatec Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Triss:
WOW Rita, I thought I was the only one who met my hubby online!
Well that makes 3 of us, I met Margo on line.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:29 PM
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
Awww...how sweet.... cool smile
Now she may kill me and get to that part early. laugh Duh Duh Duh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:30 PM
I met Mark through a work friend....she had a huge camping out party and he just happened to stop by...see in the country people just stop even if they aren't invited. laugh

He would come stay with me Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and Saturday nights. So we saw each other almost every day. It wasn't like dating because we were almost always together.
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:32 PM
Too funny Pat!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:39 PM
Of course in my case I did the asking.

It wasn't one of down on one knee kind of things, after I finally got up the nerve I just asked her.

And she said yes, she knew I was going to ask.

We have been married 7 years last May 1st.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:47 PM
Of course I told her up front there would be nothing physical until AFTER we got married.

I had been in those kind of relationships before and they don't work.

I had gone through a string of bad relationships before, it's strange how some people like to play their little games.

The relationship before this one was with a person that knew how to push the right buttons, and when she was done, she would rip your heart out and stuff it down your throat.

So this one was going to be different.
Posted By: chenno Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:58 PM
So cool to read....:-) I do agree till death do us part...people are fooled into thinking it is greener...if it is bad, yes go...in my case if this would end, I am done, 1 shot...I would not do it again...That is just me..

I do not care if you met online or in a library...if you have love you are blessed!be happy each and every moment you can!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 01:14 PM
I agree, this one is forever for me. thumbup He's my best friend.....awwwww, isn't that sappy? shocked There wasn't anything physical with us for quite a while and he came out and told me he respected me more it. thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 01:21 PM
I agree on forever as well. Would have probably been married to my first had he not cehated cuz other than that, I believe everything can be worked through.

I am very lucky and blessed to have met Dan and to have a man who loves not only me but my two boys just as much the children we have had together.
Posted By: chenno Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 01:40 PM
I think ,like you said loz..respecting you, for not physical relations so soon...so many have lost there values! Like I said, if your happy, that is all that matters...

Triss, cheating is a terrible thing, I have a friend going through that now, and I cannot tell her what to do, as honestly, you never really know till your there...I can sit and say walk...but will not judge. hard call!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 01:51 PM
Cheating, hitting, and emotional abuse will not be tolerated by me. Mark has never raised a hand to me, and he's not verbally abusive at all. If he cheated on me I don't think I could ever work past it. But all in all I think it's too easy to get a divorce and walk away from things. I'd do counseling for anything other than cheating.
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 01:53 PM
It is very diffuclt. I always knew, both of us did, that it was the one thing that either of us would split over. It is the only thing with my upbringing that justifies breaking marriage vows. He knew that and when he wanted out did exactly that cuz he knew I would end it right that moment.

On the flip side, three of my very close friends has husbands cheat on them and they made it work.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 02:08 PM
How come it is always the Husband that cheats?
Posted By: Squirrel Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 02:13 PM
We met at the bank where we both worked. Started dating and after 3 months we were engaged. There was no big question, per say. We just started talking about marriage. We were going to wait a year to get hitched, but then Dick was drafted. We were still going to wait, until he got his notice to report and then we decided we wanted to be married right away. We eloped because I didn't think my parents would go for it. We went to 3 states before we found one that would marry us. We were only 20. Dick's mom was with us and we had to say she was my mother and they called Dick's dad for his permission. He almost gave it away because he almost said, "Well, isn't his mother there?" We were married by a preacher at his home. We were going to keep it a secret until Dick got out of the service and then have a big wedding for the families. Well, I couldn't keep the secret for more than a month. Needless to say, my mom was not happy, but my dad was cool about it. So when Dick was on leave, we went to the Phila. Zoo for our honeymoon. LOL We had a weekend together and he was sent over to Germany. After a six month wait, I joined him and we started our married life in Frankfurt, Germany in a one room apartment, with a closet size kitchen and bathroom. We had a straw mattress for a cot size bed. It's good we were newly married or we never would have been able to sleep in that cot. shocked shocked laugh Everyone said it wouldn't last, but here it is 44 years later and where still married and happy. clp Sue
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 02:16 PM
Wow Sue, that is just great!!!! 44 years married! muggs clp
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 02:18 PM
It is not. I have a guy friend as well whose wife cheated on him. He left her.

Sue that is AWESOME!!!! I just LOVE reading stories like that of love lasting so long and through so much!
Posted By: Karrie Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 02:30 PM
I met Ricky in a bait tackle convient mart. I worked there. He had been coming in daily to try and get my attention and I never noticed him. He came in one night I was sitting on a bucket cross stitching a baby blanket for a girl friend of mine. The blanket had a lil cow boy on it the pattern called for a blue flannel shirt blonde hair and blue eyes, I decided to put him in a red flannel shirt with brown hair and eyes. Rick came in with a red flannel shirt cowboy hat and brown hair and eyes. I sure noticed him that night. I had told my friend and coworker about him told her I could marry that fella with the "Pure Country" movie. The next morning he had to bring the movie back well my much older co-worker said you got a girl friend? He was like lady your too old for me but do you know much about that gal that works in here with the long hair. lol She gave him my number and told him not to flatter himself thinking she wanted him. lol
I had baby sat next door to his grandparents for 2 years before he moved in with them. I used to fish with his papaw, he always told me I got a grandson you should meet. I was like if he needs papaw to get him a date I will pass. His papaw came in to the store after our first date and said I told you about that boy of mine. I was speechless.

Some things are just ment to be. Doesn't matter how god brought you to one another he did it for a reason. Just gotta follow your heart.
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 02:37 PM
Karrie, that is neat! You should listen to your elders, you know! laugh
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 03:43 PM
Well the first time was not memorable, what can you say about finding out at 16 you are pg and in those days marriage was the thing to do- lasted for 9 yrs ...
Second time I met him at work we were both operators for Mtn Bell- my best girlfriend who worked there too told me there is one guy there you should date- at that time I had been divorced about a yr and a half and wasn't to intrested in dating yet- well met Joe and he was really good about helping me learn the job- and to speak enough Spanish to do the job- this was in Az and we were local operators as well as long distance-- he kept asking for my number and address- kept telling him I was to old for him- almost 4 yrs older than him- he was 22 then.. well finally he followed me home one night and saw I lived next door to some cousins of his - he kept visiting them and running into me.... I finally agreed to have dinner with him and we dated for about 4 months and he asked me to marry him- said no , wasn't ready for that yet--- kept asking every day... finally said yes...... it was 29 yrs last March... he has been a wonderful Dad to my older 2 kids- and ours together too- is an even better Papa to all the grands.....he may drive me crazy some days but wouldn't trade him for the world.
Nana
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 03:47 PM
Very persistent Nana! That is wonderful!
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 04:00 PM
Triss

Yes he was - still is too... not to many guys would take on a divorcee with 2 kids already at 22 yrs of age- and he says he would do it again too...
Nana
Posted By: Jimmy V Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 27th, 2006 at 08:09 PM
I wasn't ask but will tell you anyway. 1st we had known each other all our lives. BIL's cousin. Came in off the ranch I worked at went straight out to her house ask her if she would her dad said she said yes. Formal wedding white shotgun blue ribbon. Second one who knows how or why. Third one on first date in front of old Blackhawk resturant in Dallas we pretty much knew we would get married. Ask her to live with me after two very bad relationships was reaL leary, she said nope you will have to marry me have a daughter I have to set example for. She had one teenage daughter two teenage sons one preteen and had just buried her baby (CP). Thirty one years later she was called to heaven now she is once again waiting on me.
Posted By: Karrie Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 04:56 AM
Nana very neat. What a man you got there.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 06:33 AM
Wow.......what great stories. I am not married or I would tell my story also....lol.
Posted By: Bill Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 07:07 AM
Icky walked up to me one day and said "uhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I decided to quit taking those pills a few months ago...." :p
Posted By: Tonya Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 07:09 AM
laugh laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 07:09 AM
quote"
I decided to quit taking those pills a few months ago...."

laugh laugh laugh lala
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 07:23 AM
OMG Bill. Almost spewed cookies all over the screen with that one! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Bill Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 07:26 AM
I didn't think it was ONE BIT funny back then, mad
but I sure got a good son out of the deal! grinnnn
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 07:30 AM
I am sure you were NOT happy but the end result was a good one! Next time we come up you need to have him come up too so we can meet him!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 07:53 AM
Mr Bill... [Linked Image]

~V~
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 08:18 AM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: chenno Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 08:55 AM
laugh laugh Oh my....But a son is a lifetime Gift! indeed...
Posted By: Karrie Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 10:15 AM
She is a rotten one, that is too funny! She knew you just needed a "gentle" nudge in the right direction!
Posted By: Bill Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 10:20 AM
She knew you just needed a "gentle" nudge in the right direction!
No... more like she knew there was NO CHANCE! laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 10:22 AM
laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 10:38 AM
laugh I just love reading all of these! thumbup
Posted By: shanbear Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 10:43 AM
First off, I would like to say, AWESOME POST, Loz thumbup

Second of all, I would like to pat Bill on the back for being a Stand Up Guy angell I've know some men to run away after hearing words like that...

This is my story:

We were best friends for months... we worked together and that is how we met. He would stay after his shift to work with me (with no overtime $) and we'd spend hours afterwards just talking on the phone or in person. We were inseparable. We both liked each other from the first day we met... luv He asked me out... and on our very first date ...

It was a cold winter night- just before Christmas. He took me to a community club with an ice rink. When I saw on the door to the club that it was "Closed for a Private Function" I was a little sad... I hadn't gone ice skating in years & what a fun first date! But when he took out a key to the door and opened it up, I sat there shocked. He lead me through the dimly lit club and out the french doors and onto the ice rink...

There was a fire pit burning in the middle of the ice and about 7 dozen long stemmed roses scattered everywhere on the ice. In between all the roses, tiny little candles were lit! It was the most beautiful, most romantic thing I've ever seen! When he lead me onto a red carpet that was rolled out onto the ice and leading to the fire, I choked back tears of happiness! He took me right up to the fire and in the glow, he got down on one knee and took out a tiny box from his jacket pocket!

A few weeks earlier him and I were going shopping and jokingly we picked our wedding rings and my dream engagement ring...

My dream engagement ring was the one in the box! I started crying right away- I was SOOO HAPPY! He told me I was his best friend and he didn't want to spend a day without me by his side... luv This was December 21st, 2004...

We've been married for just over a year now, and he still pulls romantic nights like that out of nowhere... we're both hopeless romantics and it truly was a fairy tale proposal.... and year! luv
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 10:51 AM
Oh man, I have tears streaming down my face. Totally awesome!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 11:16 AM
Wow, I'm speechless--how awesome that he did all of that!! Does he have any brothers I can trade Mark in for? laugh laugh Just kidding of course.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 11:39 AM
Originally posted by shanbear:

There was a fire pit burning in the middle of the ice and about 7 dozen long stemmed roses scattered everywhere on the ice.
Don't get the roses started, she will expect them.

I learned that one the hard way. laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 11:40 AM
These are SO sweet..here's my uneventful tale..

Hub & I met on October 3rd....it was his deseased mother's birthday(so it is a SPECIAL day for us). We were introduced at church by some friends and he said he would call me in 3 days (I wasn't sure what that ment) But...he called me the next day and we pent hours on the phone. Our first "date" was lunch and we saw each other everyday after that...every date after that we had his kids or my kids with us. He proposed to me EXACTLY one WEEK after we met...WITH the understanding that we would wait till after the first of the year to get married.
Well...I started planning a small wedding for January...we ended up getting married November 16th...exactly 3 weeks after we had met. We have been married for 10 years now with just one hiccup in the road....Certainly getting married that quickly is not something that just anyone can pull off...we just knew...we have been through so much this past ten years...with the loss of my son and the trouble that we have delt with from his youngest daughter...but we weathered it..now we have "our" family..Peanut. Sometimes you just KNOW I guess...
He makes my coffee every morning and has for 10 years. When we found out I had Fibro...he said he would take care of me...we have a VERY strong commitment to each other...very strong...commitment is much stronger than love. The "love" is just the icing on the cake....

~V~
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 12:03 PM
That is awesome Vanessa! You got a good one too!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 4Ruddy:

When we found out I had Fibro...he said he would take care of me...we have a VERY strong commitment to each other...very strong...commitment is much stronger than love. The "love" is just the icing on the cake....

~V~
My wife has MS and I made a promise to her 'for better or worse, in sickness and health, till death do us part' and I plan to keep it.

She has had it for many years, and told me upfront about it. And against my mothers wishes, I married her anyway. It just felt like the right thing to do.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 01:39 PM
Pat...that just warmed my heart...you GUYS are rare...I am glad you Looked passed the MS....that's just one of those hiccups in the road that you can deal with. Sometimes it is those very hiccups that make you closer than ever....

~V~
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 02:38 PM
V---that is so sweet! thumbup I couldn't imagine abandoning Mark just because his own body betrayed him. I mean it wouldn't be his fault if he were to get sick. With my anxiety/depression I haven't worked in years, but when we met I was fine and worked full time. He didn't turn his back on me just because of all of that--and he never would.
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 03:43 PM
Vanessa is right - sometimes the difficult times make a relationship stronger.

We met in school when we were 18. After dating for 3 weeks he asked "If I asked you to marry me what would you say?" Fortunately I didn't hold that against him. A short time later I opened the glove box and there was an engagement ring. I'd never opened the glove box before and he wasn't happy that I had spoiled the surprise. We were engaged for 2 1/2 years (too long) and married 31 years ago next month. Some tough times, some great times, mostly just glad to be together.
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 28th, 2006 at 03:47 PM
31 years! Another long and wonderful marriage!
Posted By: tamara Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
Wow, certainly some amazing stories. I'm not married either, even though we'll be together 17 years on the 8th of Sept. Why buy the cow if your getting the milk for free.. laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 02:16 AM
Whatever works Tamara laugh thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: plantqueen Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 02:19 AM
lol.......good one tamara. everybody has some wonderful stories. thank you so much for sharing them!
Posted By: tamara Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 02:19 AM
The only reason why we are not married is because here in Canada when you tie the knot you are shoved in a different tax bracket and end up paying for it for the rest of your life (literally). Yup, ask the government~I'm single p
Posted By: Tonya Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 02:46 AM
It really is nice anf heartwarming to hear everyone's stories...Some wonderfully romantic in a traditional sense, some romantic in a way that only the ones involved see...each and every one PERFECT for all involved! thumbup Now I just want to call Doug and tell him how much I love him! cool
Posted By: shanbear Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 05:19 AM
Triss: Your reply a couple of pages back put tears in my eyes! Thank you sooo much! kissies I went up right away after reading it and hugged and kissed my husband.

Loz: laugh There are two other brothers! wink Kidding! Mark sounds awesome! luv
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 05:33 AM
kissies
Posted By: shanbear Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 05:41 AM
Triss you are too cute! kissies
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 07:37 AM
Loz: There are two other brothers!
Are they single? laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: shanbear Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 07:50 AM
LOL! laugh One isn't... but the other is... What would you say if I told you he was a model! grinnnn (Seriously...) lala
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 08:08 AM
I'd say quit tempting me like that! laugh thumbup

Is he cute though, the brother, the model? grinnnn laugh
Posted By: wildwoodflower Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 08:23 AM
i was married once (to my son's father) he came in as a patient to my emergency room. he is no longer living and now i have been in a relationship for 12 years(where does time go?) this guy has given me romantic moments that many wait a lifetime for and some never get and i have been given many!the road has been rocky (to say the least) but what a lotta love!
Posted By: shanbear Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 08:36 AM
Awww Wildwood! clp

Loz: Mark does sound like a cutie...

...and for the brother... laugh Yes, rather cute. Which is why he's a modle I guess.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 08:55 AM
That is great wildwood! Glad somebody gets some romance in their life!!! grinnnn
Posted By: LibbyBuck Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 11:50 AM
I got married 10 months ago to my husband who I met three and a half years ago. I knew he was going to propose but the ring was a secret. We went up to Mt. Evans (highest elevation in North America) - beautiful but a very scary drive, 1/2 way up I was like, uh.. can we just do this here? HAHAHA!! He said amazing beautiful things and opened the ring box and I started to cry and said yes and there were a bunch of tourists up there and they all cried and cheered and it was very sweet.

When I called my parents they said, what if you had said no? Was he going to push? Heee haw!
Posted By: Triss Re: How did you get proposed to/propose???? - July 29th, 2006 at 12:41 PM
laugh laugh laugh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]