This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#87075 February 19th, 2007 at 10:08 PM
sibyl.

We're so proud of you......Getting those 2 done/.

My congrad to you .

;o)
dodge clp

#87076 February 20th, 2007 at 07:30 AM
Tammy,

When is a wildflower a weed? I'm hoping you mean when the package says "Beautiful Daisy" but it contains dandelion seeds.

If I have marked packages of native plants, many of whose common names end in the word "weed", are those weeds?

Filipendula rubra
Sesbania aka rattkebox
Symphytrichum laeve 'blue bird'
Clematis ligusticifolia
Coreopsis leavenworthii
Berlandiera lyrata - the Chocolate flower
Heperaloe parviflorum
Libertia formosa
Impatiens capensis, glandulifera

I believe these are native to the US and the ones with a varietal name are just selections of native plants.

#87077 February 20th, 2007 at 01:15 PM
I'm going try answering...Tammy correct me if I'm wrong! not necessisarily, Jewelweed and milkweed can be common native plants, but there are many varieties that can be grown as ornamentals. I grow milkweed as a food plant for butterflies, and you never know when you could use some jewelweed on hand for those poisin ivy itches!

Tammy, I know I would love to get some Sesbania, and Libertia formosa wink if anyone decides to send some in wink laugh

#87078 February 20th, 2007 at 02:53 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
weeds are plants that are so aggressive and hard to get rid of that getting seeds for them would be an unhappy experience.

I received a mismarked package of seeds once that were suppose to be larkspur. I started them indoors and was thrilled when they grew well. I transplanted them outside and babied them to make sure they didn't go into shock. My neighbor (the grease monkey from the Lady Huh comic strip.) Laughed his head off. I was growing a common weed. It was all over the wild space behind his garage. Needless to say I was not pleased. And if I knew who sent it to me they would be posted as a person of unreliable reputation.

Which is why I keep all the records I do on the Fling seed Exchanges.

It could be that the person who sent them to me got them from someone else and didn't know. So I want the sender to have the opportunity to correct any errors that occur. But I also want the receiver to know that they are protected.

Bill is always so good about protecting all of us here on the forum and I want to do as well as he does. He sets a marvelous example.

Anyway, if your not sure then my suggestion would be don't send it.

I know there are some that are very close to the line like morning glories, and yarrow. Both which are fine.

I hope that gives some insight as to how it works.

#87079 February 20th, 2007 at 03:20 PM
S
S
i think dandelion seeds look alot like daisy seeds, if the package says daisys then its a daisy.

you know dandenlions are conciterd a herb? you can make some decafe subsatude coffee out of their roots, i never tried it or wanted to, just read it in my herb book.

#87080 February 20th, 2007 at 04:18 PM
Tammy, I just got my packet out in the mail to you this morning. I hope you can find the stamp that the mailman put in there--apparently they make an 87 cent stamp, it's lost in the sea of seed envy's now. I was in a big hurry and didn't get a letter or anything in there, so if you get one from Sarah in Hutchinson KS, that's me. grinnnn Sorry about that.

Sarah

#87081 February 20th, 2007 at 04:21 PM
I let at least a few dandeline seeds go to blows....I got my nephew's Tabby to think about!
[Linked Image]

I've been busy....so I just got caught up on the Part1& am now current on part 2.

1st Let me say.I may be intrested to do the handleing of the plant/cutting exchange.I've pertisapated in one before a few years ago.I'd take a list of whos intrested& I'd match you up with someone with your plant choices(if not all at least 3)and try to keep distance down.they have flat rate shipping boxes(3 sizes folks) I also don't mind doing for Canada.I just have to have enough for matching& if we're to be say 5 one person might need to take on an extra for it to work.The same for the UK,but I'd need giudeance on UK shipping.You can sign for plants OR cuttings.Let me say cuttings are trickeir.some may be hard to root.The one I was in.....no cuttings I recieved survived& I had sent rooted ones& got unrooted ones.

Now back on topic.
I collected a few seeds today.....while fishing(No just a few bites,but got to try out my new bait clip hook) I collected some button bush/Cephalanthus decidentilias
http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/cph.occid.htm

I collected some common cat tail seeds.I have 3 packaged up.Hollar if someone wants some,otherwise thats it for those.They get about 7 ft tall.they WILL grow in small container,but it needs to be strong...stronger than a ice cream container.it will bust out.1 tail can easily equal 20 in 1 year.

Sumac seeds
chime tree
carolina jasmine
Dragon tree-sapphire

And no telling WHAT surprises you may find.

Some of you FL & coastal folks,I'd like some lychee seeds,soursops,royal poiniccia ,bottle brush,firecracker shrub,orchid tree,custard apple,star fruit,pride of barbados,AFRICAN HORNED CUCUMBER,peach tree vine,bird of paradise............

zone denial is a terrible thing to waste.........

also intrested in bunches of milkweed.I have a strip of 21 feet I'd like to fill with milkweed.I'd like some gazinias& gallardias ,2 toned zinnias.veggies will be great,I have an iguana to share with remember.I can use more basils too.Only have a small amount of cinn basil(ws,it sprouted too)and salvias beside red& would love a winter/fall blooming salvia...impatients especially african type.

I'm gonna go now........more bed tilling to garden claw.
[Linked Image]

#87082 February 20th, 2007 at 04:57 PM
I would be interested in a cutting swap. Tho my zone is 6 and would need to be about middle of april to be safe. Unless spring comes early.

#87083 February 20th, 2007 at 05:36 PM
buzylady,

I was too an they thought it wasnt a good idea.
However
Keep me in mind in april and perhaps we can swap with each other..
Cuttings would not make it to foreign lands.. The usa gov......has ruled that out someonoe said????????

dodge

ps

Imps capensis grandulifer ... ( in spring swap) would be a hint for dodge.;o)

#87084 February 20th, 2007 at 05:38 PM
buzylady,

I was too an they thought it wasnt a good idea.
However
Keep me in mind in april and perhaps we can swap with each other..
Cuttings would not make it to foreign lands.. The usa gov......has ruled that out someonoe said????????

dodge

ps

Imps capensis grandulifer ... ( in spring swap) would be a hint for dodge.;o)

#87085 February 20th, 2007 at 07:06 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Kratz7 I love your stationary. Now I know why you needed to send to envelopes. You missed my post where I said I had enough envelopes for everyone lol. And thankyou very much for the candy bar. I love chocolate. Although I'll actually be starting a diet as soon as my supplements come in so this will be a last indulgence.

badplanter your envelope also made it in today and I can't wait to sort through it and see what all you have in there for the exchange. I'm sure it's all going to be wonderful stuff. I already saw some pumpkin. Yummy Yummy pumpkin. I wonder if I have any canned pumpkin left for pie. That just sounds so good.

I hope you are successful getting your cutting exchange going. I always ask a hostess if it's ok if I do an exchange before I start.

I was surprised that only two survived but that's a start. I wouldn't want to be overloaded right away.

#87086 February 20th, 2007 at 08:25 PM
wavey

Glad you got my envelope-- did you get both? I had to send out two envelopes... kissies

--mark--

#87087 February 20th, 2007 at 09:28 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Just one so far I think. The other one will probably be here tomorrow.

#87088 February 20th, 2007 at 10:54 PM
thumbup

#87089 February 21st, 2007 at 11:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I was just checking in and saw my name....lol
Tammy you are very welcome....that's the least I can do for soomeone sweet enough to do thi spring fling.....maybe the chocolate will help you destress.....it helps me....lol

I sent the vege seeds out on Tuesday.....so they should arrive later this week.....
About the envelope I had to send postage anyway and I thought it would help not to have to address all those envelopes...... smile Hopefully there are peeps out there that want veges this summer....... wavey

Have a great day everyone..... wink

Kratz7

#87090 February 21st, 2007 at 02:44 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm sure we have a number of veggie lovers so no problem there. I'm getting to where I like having veggies as well as flowers. And I started off with herbs.

Have a Great Day All,

#87091 February 21st, 2007 at 04:27 PM
tk

You can grow herbs right on the window sill.
Saw it on tv today.. Of course they were plants.

;o)

#87092 February 21st, 2007 at 06:26 PM
I grew tomatoes/eggplants/okra in the flowerbeds last year. My sis is worse about it,cause she has limited sun in her yard.her sidewalk is lined in strawberry plants.only person I bet that has artichoke as a centerpiece in the bed.I just wish she'd share her asparagus.

I picked some seeds for some marginal plant that has a small yellow flower at tip ....leaves a pinecone type seed pod.I'm trying to remember what it is.its not in my one pond catalog.has a small low growing green grassy stuff leaf type.In my old pond pictures it don't show well cause was only a 2 megapixil. I know some last time wanted more pond stuff ...so am trying. I'm also looking for my yellow pinetree seeds.

In March I'll start the post for the plant/cutting exchange.We will have to put a date for after the 1st week in April in case I go to lake fork for fishing.

#87093 February 22nd, 2007 at 10:41 PM
Tammy, did my seeds come today? You're going to absolutely hate me when you see how tiny some of those packets are. I was bored when I made them and packed the seeds, so I was trying to "see how tiny" i could make them. At least they aren't any smaller than postage stamps! (I made a few that were, but I couldn't get all the seeds in them.)

#87094 February 22nd, 2007 at 11:01 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Having one of those days were you Sarah? Oh well I've had some strange ones myself from time to time. If they are to small I'll borrow a magnifying glass and then just put those seed packets into larger ones. I have plenty of packets. I kept myself busy this winter folding a bunch of packets and using up a bunch of my address labels to seal them with. So all's fair.

I don't think i've been outside today. But I'm going out later so I'll pick up any packages on my way back in. It's be late but I just don't have any energy right now.

#87095 February 22nd, 2007 at 11:12 PM
Since it warmed up I've been going crazy. It's everything I can do not to go plant stuff. This weather is torture for me!! shk

#87096 February 23rd, 2007 at 05:34 AM
S
S
some of my packs were small too, but the seeds were small like dust small, so i used smaller packs for em. i would hate for someone to get a big seedpack and not see the tiny seeds inside and think there was nothing there. i got a seedpack from the last swap that was about the size of a stamp, i thought it was the cutest thing, also a great idea for smaller seeds,

sara i couldnt wait! i got peat pellets today! never used em before but im gonna give em a try. their soaking right now laugh the more the weather warms up the more i itch to plant! ive got starters all over my house!

#87097 February 23rd, 2007 at 02:05 PM
sibyl

That was funny.......

However this morning I have tiny little seeds in a wet towel and they germinated...Now I am wondering how to pick them up.

Tweezers is what I use .

Any ideas/

barb kit

#87098 February 23rd, 2007 at 03:02 PM
My seeds are leaving for you today Tammy thumbup

#87099 February 23rd, 2007 at 03:02 PM
Those peat pellets 'spring up' faster useing boiling water on them.I love um too.

I'm enjoying my warm weather too.It was 86 yesterday.I was sweating.I'm gonna mow a lil grass today,just one small area.I have some larger clumps growing....that need mowing.I sleept with the AC on too last night.Was finally cool enough about 3 am.It's foggy& 55 now& calling for 71& overcast.I caught 3 fish yesterday 1 catfish 2 blue gill.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard