A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 12th, 2007 at 06:30 PM
We have begun. Please let your friends know about the spring fling. The more the merrier.
Posted By: Triss Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 12th, 2007 at 06:53 PM
I am still working on my seeds. I may be closer to the deadline than an early bird this time around.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 12th, 2007 at 09:07 PM
I am still working on my seeds also! Gotta make that wish list yet too! thumbup
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 12th, 2007 at 09:40 PM
I'm starting on a wish-list... thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 12th, 2007 at 10:23 PM
I was happy, I had enough of the double cosmos to make 2, 10 seed packets...I know it's not many per packet but I didn't have many and they are harder to come by.

I hope someone gets them that loves them! Cosmos are my fav! thumbup They're really cool too!

Gotta go do that wishlist, maybe while I cook dinner.
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 12th, 2007 at 10:26 PM
Cool Loz! thumbup

I made a wish-list, but it's just a few things... I really don't care at all what I get laugh laugh
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 13th, 2007 at 01:08 AM
I have a small wishlist too but it's great when you get the package and look up the seeds you don't recognize and realize what a beautiful flower. I can't believe the amount of flowers and veggies out there.

Tammy, my seeds are all packed up and ready to go in the mail tomorrow. Thanks for doing this once again. You Rock!
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 13th, 2007 at 04:46 AM
loz i love cosmos!!! never seen double cosmos! im sending some bright lights in, i have some seashells, day dream and sensation. but not much so if i send em in it will be one or two packs,

im still working on packin up my seeds
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 13th, 2007 at 04:49 AM
Oooo, I have all the kinds but daydream....I would love to end up with a pack of them! thumbup

The double ones are called Double click and I just ordered them online. Can't wait to start them up this year! flw
Posted By: Triss Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 13th, 2007 at 04:55 AM
Cosmos are on my wish list, I hope I get some of both of yours!
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 13th, 2007 at 09:54 AM
Good morning All,

I would love to get some cosmos seashells and the double cosmos sound really cool.....I sent my seeds off for Spring Fling on Monday but I'll send my sasbe and my wishlist seperately as I didn't have room in the seed envelope.......I hope everyone enjoys planting this year.....

[Linked Image]
I have a bunch more to try.....

I started a tray of seeds already....(couldn't wait to get my hands in some soil) I'm waiting til Spring (Impatiently Waiting that is) smile

Kratz7
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 13th, 2007 at 01:34 PM
Last night, Park's shipped out my seeds, how great is that?? lol - they must have seen me complaining here yesterday.

Kratz7, your seedlings look amazing. I too started some seeds-just peppers though. They are just starting to put on their first set of real leaves. I had to replant a few though, the seeds rotted before they germinated. Good luck!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 13th, 2007 at 03:15 PM
Hi Loz, since they are rare hard to find cosmos I'm sure noone will mind that there are less than 20 seeds in the packets. If they do I can always send them a packet of something else. We always have a few people that send in more than they want back. And since I don't have a garden this year I have plenty of surplus lol.

My egyptian walking onions are doing great. They are sprouting right up there. It will be a while before I see my banana peppers, sweet william tomatoes, asters, or jasmine. But I can be patient since I have a good reason to check them daily and water them often and just in general be busy with the indoor germination process.

Next thing I'm going to plant are the short zinnias with big red flowers that I harvested from the local McDonalds. Well it may not be the next thing I plant since they don't take long to germinate but they are definitely one of the things on my list.

I keep on looking at the celery that is in the Spring Fling and thinking how much I would like to have a packet of that. But I'm not going to be greedy. I'll wait until I have most of the wishlists in and then if it is still available I plan to snatch it up lol. Sometimes it's hard to be good with so many interesting seeds sitting on the table tempting me lol.

Makes me want to order all sorts of things from the catalogs and I really shouldn't.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 13th, 2007 at 11:06 PM
We are up to 26 members in the Spring Fling and it keeps growing. Keep those wishlists comming they really do help me.
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 13th, 2007 at 11:57 PM
Fratz

What are the plants you have there pictured/
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 14th, 2007 at 03:45 PM
We are up to 27 members in the Spring Fling. I'm excited. I can't wait for the ice to go away so I can get mail. I'm assuming that they won't go out in this it is so slick it's unbelievable.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 14th, 2007 at 05:09 PM
tammy i told 3peaches about the sawp! hopfuly she'll get in on the fun!
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 14th, 2007 at 09:14 PM
Anyone know how much postage it would be to mail a 13.5 inch by 10.5 inch bubble envelope? lala lala laugh shocked
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 14th, 2007 at 09:58 PM
Not me, I always just go to the post office and have them weight it. thumbup
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 14th, 2007 at 10:45 PM
I don't have the patience[or time] to wait on line at the post office...the lines are incredibly long here... eek eek laugh
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 14th, 2007 at 11:45 PM
Really? I always wonder why they have such a bad reputation. I can understand the DMV, but the PO has always been so very quick and helpful. If there is a line, they open up more registers. How nice is that? THen again, I live in a relatively small town, 30K or less. But the PO does everything by weight and size, not just size. So you will need a final weight, or a good estimate.
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 15th, 2007 at 12:37 AM
thumbup

There are 2 post-offices here on Staten Island, but 600,000+ people living here....[on this 20mi Island... laugh ] just imagine... eek thumbup

--Mark--
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 15th, 2007 at 12:25 PM
Mark, usually 3 stamps on the big envelope is enough especially for short runs like from new york to here. Distance is also a consideration for the PO but it isn't a huge difference in cost.

Sibyl, I hope she joins too.

We have 29 people registered for the Spring Fling so far and more joining everyday. I'm so excited. We have more people now than we had signed up for the Fall Fling.
Posted By: dirt in my diamonds Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 15th, 2007 at 04:25 PM
Can someone PM me and tell me how this works? Sounds interesting wavey

Oh, and as far as postage, you can go here:
http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home&page=0061calculatepostage
if you know the weight of your item. Just select domestic if it is going to another state, or international if going abroad, then select what style of package (envelope, box, etc)and zipcodes to and from.
If you don't have a postage scale, use a regular kitchen scale to calculate ounces, or a bathroom scale to calculate pounds, then add a bit extra postage to be safe. smile
(I used to sell things on eBay and this is how I did mine to avoid the long PO lines!)

'Manda
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 15th, 2007 at 05:20 PM
manda if you go back a page it has tammys rules, i hope yoy join its so much fun!

laugh i dont have a scale, so i guess, i put 6 stamps on mine laugh no wonder my mail lady always laughs at me,
mark i know what ya mean about the post office!!! if i go to the one in town i stand in line for a half hour or more! if i go to the little post office in my small town im not there long but small towns have the noisyest people! drives me nuts! i dont want to stand there and be pryed of my buissness or hear about my neibors buisness! so its better to just mail from home. less hassle.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 15th, 2007 at 05:23 PM
oops tammys rules arnt on the first page, , im shure she will get them to ya
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 15th, 2007 at 05:25 PM
It's that time of year again!
If there is enough interest we will have a Spring Fling Round Robin Seed Exchange!
So let me know if your in the mood and if so...dig into those boxes of seeds, and start packing them up!
The deadline for mailing your seeds is March 23rd.

RULES

1. Please try to put at least 20 seeds per pack. Seed packets need to have the name of the seed on them. If english/american is your second language you may want to use the scientific/botanical name for the plant. That makes it easier to find in english. Other nice things to have on the envelope that are not necessary are USDA growing zones if known, growing conditions (sun vs. shade, ph if unusual, if it needs light to germinate) your screen name. These things are not necessary. Send a pack of seeds that you would be happy receiving!

2. Mail your seeds no later than March 23rd.

3. Send a wishlist of the seed you would like with the understanding that I'll do my best but can't guarantee that you will get what you hope for. As regards wishlist, these can be as specific or as general as you would like or you don't have to do one at all. Or they can be a combination. For example I'm looking for tropical plants to grow indoors since I don't have a garden patch anymore. That's rather general. But I am also looking for Dutchman's Pipe. Now that is specific. So I could put both of them on my wish list. It just helps me to select which seeds to send you when I have a very wide selection to chose from.

4. Send a SASBE (self-addressed stamped bubble envelope) with your seeds. Please make sure you have enough return postage on the envelope.

5. Please limit the maximum number of seed packs per envelope to 100. Multiple mailings are ok!
6. I will do my best to get your seeds to you by April 15th.
7. Please limit same seed types to a maximum of 25 seed packets. For example if you are sending in Blue Columbines please don't send in more than 25 packets of this type. But you could also send in 25 Red Columbines in the same envelope and that would be great.

NOTICE! All seed packs will be cataloged.
If you send weed seeds we will be able to track who they came from, and you will be banned from participating in future seed swaps, and your name will be posted in the Seed Exchange forum as a "risk"!

If you'd like to participate in this Swap, please PM Tammy (tkhooper) for her address to mail your seeds.

Let the Spring Fling Round Robin Seed Exchange BEGIN!

grinnnn grinnnn
Posted By: dirt in my diamonds Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 15th, 2007 at 06:05 PM
Awesome! I will have to see what all I have available.

One more question: ANY kind of seeds? I mean, veggie seeds too?

I have some various gourd seeds I saved from those little decorative ones this past fall, but I have no idea what kinds they are!! I know for sure that I could trade these if anyone would want them, as I don't have a space to grow them... but I wasn't sure if that was acceptable for this.

Thanks! Ya'll are great!
'Manda
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 15th, 2007 at 08:34 PM
I have some various gourd seeds I saved from those little decorative ones this past fall, but I have no idea what kinds they are!! I know for sure that I could trade these if anyone would want them, as I don't have a space to grow them... but I wasn't sure if that was acceptable for this.
I have tons of those[may be sending some in ymself thumbup
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 16th, 2007 at 05:56 AM
i think gourds are good to send, all seeds are accepted except weeds laugh thumbup that means annuals, perennals, flowers,trees,vegies,vines, bushes, tropicals,houseplants, o-grasses, herbs, and whatever else i might be forgetting! thumbup

i got a small pk of gourds from the last swap, more would be welcomed. there are members who grow them for decoration or bird houses and other crafts. wink
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 16th, 2007 at 12:44 PM
You all are doing great! Yes you can send in gourd seeds just follow the rules and you will be fine.

So far we have filled 40 wishlist requests. I think that is a fantastic start, don't you?

Dodge, Kratz7, and Partygirls first envelopes have arrived. And they have been cataloged and sorted. I love doing this.
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 16th, 2007 at 07:53 PM
Oh happy day! All 3 of my seed orders came in today along with 2 trades! When the mailman handed me this big pile of bubble envelopes I thought to myself, "this must be how Tammy feels." lol. what fun. Okay, I'm going to go open all my packages now!!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 17th, 2007 at 12:34 PM
Merry Febuary Christmas Sarah. It is fun getting all the packages and discussing the seed exchange as it progresses.

Today I'm trying to figure out which seeds are annual and which are perennial. It's good study for me and makes it easier to choose what some people want. I'm also checking out the height since that was one request. Which makes sense when one is planning a garden.

And I got in one more wishlist that is going to be super simple to fill.

I didn't get down to the mailbox yesterday but I'm going this moring to check. Right after I get dressed lol.
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 17th, 2007 at 02:22 PM
I had to put my seeds into two envelopes--a smaller and a larger-- I put postage for both, just in case thumbup
They will be going out this morning...
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 17th, 2007 at 05:15 PM
I'll be looking for them. Thankyou again for joining the Spring Fling Seed Exchange. Take care and have a good day.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 17th, 2007 at 10:54 PM
40 wish lists!!!!!!!! wow! how many have joined so far tammy?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 12:14 AM
no no I miss communicated. 40 of the items listed on the wishlists have been filled. Actually as of today about 65 of the items listed on the wishlists have been filled.

There are currently 32 people signed up for the Spring Fling.

When Suzydaze does the one in the Fall she has close to 150 people involved. I don't think I could handle one that big.

I've researched about 2/3 of the seed packets that have come in to date so it was a very productive day. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish them off.

Have a great day.
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 02:12 AM
tk

Good now I can sleep tonite, you received my seeds. zzzzz zzzzz

barb
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 02:13 AM
tk

Good now I can sleep tonite, you received my seeds. wavey
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 01:18 PM
Good morning Everyone,

I would like to send a round 2 for vegetable seeds......would anyone be interested in veges? I have a bunch of seeds I can send along to Tammy for Spring Fling......

[Linked Image]

Kratz7
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 04:52 PM
I'm interested in anything! laugh thumbup
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 04:55 PM
tk,

Ha ha

i actually did sleep better last nite.. Woke at 8:30.....this am.
I usually wake aboue 6:30.. p
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 05:19 PM
Yes veggie seeds are acceptable.

I've got just about all of the seeds that I have received so far sorted out. So I'm all ready for monday and to start the process all over again lol.
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 06:18 PM
tkhooper

The efficency EXPERT../\! Duh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 08:32 PM
My man left a long time ago. But I'm sure he wouldn't have minded.
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 18th, 2007 at 09:14 PM
????????????????????????

barb
Posted By: PartyGirl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 19th, 2007 at 06:23 AM
Tammy,

You can take the day off tomorrow -- no mail for President's Day! BUT Tuesday it's back to the salt mines. ROTFL!

No veggies for me, please; I just end up feeding the wildlife with them.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 19th, 2007 at 12:58 PM
sounds like you have a lot of critters visiting your garden. I miss that about having a house. The only visitors I get are some sparrows that I entice with Wheat seeds and stale bread crusts.

I forgot about presidents day. I guess no mail today lol.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 19th, 2007 at 08:34 PM
i got two more packs to do and im done, i'll be sending it out tomarrow.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 19th, 2007 at 08:45 PM
ok woo hoo! im done! now i gotta wait til tomarrow!
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 19th, 2007 at 10:08 PM
sibyl.

We're so proud of you......Getting those 2 done/.

My congrad to you .

;o)
dodge clp
Posted By: PartyGirl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 07:30 AM
Tammy,

When is a wildflower a weed? I'm hoping you mean when the package says "Beautiful Daisy" but it contains dandelion seeds.

If I have marked packages of native plants, many of whose common names end in the word "weed", are those weeds?

Filipendula rubra
Sesbania aka rattkebox
Symphytrichum laeve 'Blue Bird'
Clematis ligusticifolia
Coreopsis leavenworthii
Berlandiera lyrata - the Chocolate Flower
Heperaloe parviflorum
Libertia formosa
Impatiens capensis, glandulifera

I believe these are native to the US and the ones with a varietal name are just selections of native plants.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 01:15 PM
I'm going try answering...Tammy correct me if I'm wrong! not necessisarily, Jewelweed and milkweed can be common native plants, but there are many varieties that can be grown as ornamentals. I grow milkweed as a food plant for butterflies, and you never know when you could use some jewelweed on hand for those poisin ivy itches!

Tammy, I know I would love to get some Sesbania, and Libertia formosa wink if anyone decides to send some in wink laugh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 02:53 PM
Weeds are plants that are so aggressive and hard to get rid of that getting seeds for them would be an unhappy experience.

I received a mismarked package of seeds once that were suppose to be larkspur. I started them indoors and was thrilled when they grew well. I transplanted them outside and babied them to make sure they didn't go into shock. My neighbor (the grease monkey from the Lady Huh comic strip.) Laughed his head off. I was growing a common weed. It was all over the wild space behind his garage. Needless to say I was not pleased. And if I knew who sent it to me they would be posted as a person of unreliable reputation.

Which is why I keep all the records I do on the Fling Seed Exchanges.

It could be that the person who sent them to me got them from someone else and didn't know. So I want the sender to have the opportunity to correct any errors that occur. But I also want the receiver to know that they are protected.

Bill is always so good about protecting all of us here on the forum and I want to do as well as he does. He sets a marvelous example.

Anyway, if your not sure then my suggestion would be don't send it.

I know there are some that are very close to the line like morning glories, and yarrow. Both which are fine.

I hope that gives some insight as to how it works.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 03:20 PM
i think dandelion seeds look alot like daisy seeds, if the package says daisys then its a daisy.

you know dandenlions are conciterd a herb? you can make some decafe subsatude coffee out of their roots, i never tried it or wanted to, just read it in my herb book.
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 04:18 PM
Tammy, I just got my packet out in the mail to you this morning. I hope you can find the stamp that the mailman put in there--apparently they make an 87 cent stamp, it's lost in the sea of seed envy's now. I was in a big hurry and didn't get a letter or anything in there, so if you get one from Sarah in Hutchinson KS, that's me. grinnnn Sorry about that.

Sarah
Posted By: njoynit Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 04:21 PM
I let at least a few dandeline seeds go to blows....I got my nephew's Tabby to think about!
[Linked Image]

I've been busy....so I just got caught up on the Part1& am now current on part 2.

1st Let me say.I may be intrested to do the handleing of the plant/cutting exchange.I've pertisapated in one before a few years ago.I'd take a list of whos intrested& I'd match you up with someone with your plant choices(if not all at least 3)and try to keep distance down.they have flat rate shipping boxes(3 sizes folks) I also don't mind doing for Canada.I just have to have enough for matching& if we're to be say 5 one person might need to take on an extra for it to work.The same for the UK,but I'd need giudeance on UK shipping.You can sign for plants OR cuttings.Let me say cuttings are trickeir.some may be hard to root.The one I was in.....no cuttings I recieved survived& I had sent rooted ones& got unrooted ones.

Now back on topic.
I collected a few seeds today.....while fishing(No just a few bites,but got to try out my new bait clip hook) I collected some button bush/Cephalanthus decidentilias
http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/cph.occid.htm

I collected some common cat tail seeds.I have 3 packaged up.Hollar if someone wants some,otherwise thats it for those.They get about 7 ft tall.they WILL grow in small container,but it needs to be strong...stronger than a ice cream container.it will bust out.1 tail can easily equal 20 in 1 year.

Sumac seeds
chime tree
carolina jasmine
Dragon tree-sapphire

And no telling WHAT surprises you may find.

Some of you FL & coastal folks,I'd like some lychee seeds,soursops,royal poiniccia ,bottle brush,firecracker shrub,orchid tree,custard apple,star fruit,pride of barbados,AFRICAN HORNED CUCUMBER,peach tree vine,bird of paradise............

Zone denial is a terrible thing to waste.........

also intrested in bunches of milkweed.I have a strip of 21 feet I'd like to fill with milkweed.I'd like some gazinias& gallardias ,2 toned zinnias.veggies will be great,I have an iguana to share with remember.I can use more basils too.Only have a small amount of cinn basil(ws,it sprouted too)and salvias beside red& would love a winter/fall blooming salvia...impatients especially african type.

I'm gonna go now........more bed tilling to garden claw.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: buzylady Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 04:57 PM
I would be interested in a cutting swap. Tho my zone is 6 and would need to be about middle of april to be safe. Unless spring comes early.
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 05:36 PM
buzylady,

I was too an they thought it wasnt a good idea.
However
Keep me in mind in april and perhaps we can swap with each other..
Cuttings would not make it to foreign lands.. The usa gov......has ruled that out someonoe said????????

dodge

ps

Imps capensis grandulifer ... ( in spring swap) would be a hint for dodge.;o)
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 05:38 PM
buzylady,

I was too an they thought it wasnt a good idea.
However
Keep me in mind in april and perhaps we can swap with each other..
Cuttings would not make it to foreign lands.. The usa gov......has ruled that out someonoe said????????

dodge

ps

Imps capensis grandulifer ... ( in spring swap) would be a hint for dodge.;o)
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 07:06 PM
Kratz7 I love your stationary. Now I know why you needed to send to envelopes. You missed my post where I said I had enough envelopes for everyone lol. And thankyou very much for the candy bar. I love chocolate. Although I'll actually be starting a diet as soon as my supplements come in so this will be a last indulgence.

badplanter your envelope also made it in today and I can't wait to sort through it and see what all you have in there for the exchange. I'm sure it's all going to be wonderful stuff. I already saw some pumpkin. Yummy Yummy pumpkin. I wonder if I have any canned pumpkin left for pie. That just sounds so good.

I hope you are successful getting your cutting exchange going. I always ask a hostess if it's ok if I do an exchange before I start.

I was surprised that only two survived but that's a start. I wouldn't want to be overloaded right away.
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 08:25 PM
wavey

Glad you got my envelope-- did you get both? I had to send out two envelopes... kissies

--mark--
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 09:28 PM
Just one so far I think. The other one will probably be here tomorrow.
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 20th, 2007 at 10:54 PM
thumbup
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 21st, 2007 at 11:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I was just checking in and saw my name....lol
Tammy you are very welcome....that's the least I can do for soomeone sweet enough to do thi spring fling.....maybe the chocolate will help you destress.....it helps me....lol

I sent the vege seeds out on Tuesday.....so they should arrive later this week.....
About the envelope I had to send postage anyway and I thought it would help not to have to address all those envelopes...... smile Hopefully there are peeps out there that want veges this summer....... wavey

Have a great day everyone..... wink

Kratz7
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 21st, 2007 at 02:44 PM
I'm sure we have a number of veggie lovers so no problem there. I'm getting to where I like having veggies as well as flowers. And I started off with herbs.

Have a Great Day All,
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 21st, 2007 at 04:27 PM
tk

You can grow herbs right on the window sill.
Saw it on tv today.. Of course they were plants.

;o)
Posted By: njoynit Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 21st, 2007 at 06:26 PM
I grew tomatoes/eggplants/okra in the flowerbeds last year. My sis is worse about it,cause she has limited sun in her yard.her sidewalk is lined in strawberry plants.only person I bet that has artichoke as a centerpiece in the bed.I just wish she'd share her asparagus.

I picked some seeds for some marginal plant that has a small yellow flower at tip ....leaves a pinecone type seed pod.I'm trying to remember what it is.its not in my one pond catalog.has a small low growing green grassy stuff leaf type.In my old pond pictures it don't show well cause was only a 2 megapixil. I know some last time wanted more pond stuff ...so am trying. I'm also looking for my yellow pinetree seeds.

In March I'll start the post for the plant/cutting exchange.We will have to put a date for after the 1st week in April in case I go to lake fork for fishing.
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 22nd, 2007 at 10:41 PM
Tammy, did my seeds come today? You're going to absolutely hate me when you see how tiny some of those packets are. I was bored when I made them and packed the seeds, so I was trying to "see how tiny" i could make them. At least they aren't any smaller than postage stamps! (I made a few that were, but I couldn't get all the seeds in them.)
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 22nd, 2007 at 11:01 PM
Having one of those days were you Sarah? Oh well I've had some strange ones myself from time to time. If they are to small I'll borrow a magnifying glass and then just put those seed packets into larger ones. I have plenty of packets. I kept myself busy this winter folding a bunch of packets and using up a bunch of my address labels to seal them with. So all's fair.

I don't think i've been outside today. But I'm going out later so I'll pick up any packages on my way back in. It's be late but I just don't have any energy right now.
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 22nd, 2007 at 11:12 PM
Since it warmed up I've been going crazy. It's everything I can do not to go plant stuff. This weather is torture for me!! shk
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 23rd, 2007 at 05:34 AM
some of my packs were small too, but the seeds were small like dust small, so i used smaller packs for em. i would hate for someone to get a big seedpack and not see the tiny seeds inside and think there was nothing there. i got a seedpack from the last swap that was about the size of a stamp, i thought it was the cutest thing, also a great idea for smaller seeds,

sara i couldnt wait! i got peat pellets today! never used em before but im gonna give em a try. their soaking right now laugh the more the weather warms up the more i itch to plant! ive got starters all over my house!
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 23rd, 2007 at 02:05 PM
sibyl

That was funny.......

However this morning I have tiny little seeds in a wet towel and they germinated...Now I am wondering how to pick them up.

Tweezers is what I use .

Any ideas/

barb kit
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 23rd, 2007 at 03:02 PM
My seeds are leaving for you today Tammy thumbup
Posted By: njoynit Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 23rd, 2007 at 03:02 PM
Those peat pellets 'spring up' faster useing boiling water on them.I love um too.

I'm enjoying my warm weather too.It was 86 yesterday.I was sweating.I'm gonna mow a lil grass today,just one small area.I have some larger clumps growing....that need mowing.I sleept with the AC on too last night.Was finally cool enough about 3 am.It's foggy& 55 now& calling for 71& overcast.I caught 3 fish yesterday 1 catfish 2 blue gill.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 23rd, 2007 at 04:38 PM
thumbup
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 23rd, 2007 at 06:43 PM
We need fish for our frys tonite......

have any extra?

ha ha

b shk
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 24th, 2007 at 03:50 PM
Hi all,

Sorry I wasn't on yesterday. I got my temporary dentures and it took all day. I was beat when I got home.

Let's see I have received seeds from LandofOz, Cancolgirl, Toni & Kratz7 and if I haven't already posted it from badplanter as well.

I'm behind on the paperwork for the fling but I'll be working to get all caught up by Monday. I'm looking forward to everyone's seeds.
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 24th, 2007 at 06:07 PM
Yay!!!! kissies

Oh yeah for those that receive my seeds. I put the small seeds inside a small folded paper inside the seed packet. So if you open it up and nothing comes out, it's because you have to pull out the other little envelope.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 24th, 2007 at 06:08 PM
im hopin you get my seeds monday, alls i had was the littlier bubble envolopes so its packed full!
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 24th, 2007 at 08:04 PM
Both my packs made it, tk? kissies
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 24th, 2007 at 09:22 PM
Hi badplanter, I'm not exactly sure. Did I mention I was alittle behind on the paper work? But I'll have it sorted out by Monday. Or at least that is the goal.

Hi Sibyl, That's the way I like the packed full of seeds.

Hi Cancolgirl, The envelope you sent is just fine. Of course when you get it back ignore the soup stain please. I was watching t.v., eating, and sorting the seed packets all at the same time and I had an ooops. Fortunately no seeds were hurt lol.

Well that's about all the news at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes as I continue the adventure of looking at all of these seeds. Thankyou everyone that sent them in.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 25th, 2007 at 01:40 PM
If anyone is doing a black & white flower bed please let me know. I think I have some seeds that would be a nice addition.
Posted By: badplanter Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 25th, 2007 at 01:49 PM
I would love a few black/white flowers, if you don't find anybody who is particularly looking for them.. Duh
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 25th, 2007 at 02:31 PM
tkhooper ,

me likes black and white.. HINT HINT HINT
wavey

b
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 25th, 2007 at 05:35 PM
Thanks for responding. I remembered seeing a post about it aways back but I couldn't remember who so this seemed like the best way to know if any of our fling members were doing it. Thankyou for responding so quickly. I hope you like the seeds that I choose for you.
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 25th, 2007 at 06:38 PM
tk

I will love your choice..
How is the mouth today/

barb
Posted By: maja24 Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 25th, 2007 at 07:39 PM
Just catched up on the reading! It's going fast! I'll be sending my envelop tomorrow, hope you'll like it!
Read that Partygirl was thinking about sending in these seeds:
- Berlandiera lyrata - the Chocolate Flower
- Heperaloe parviflorum
I really don't mind receiving some (hint:D:D)

All the best Tammy, thanks for all the hard work!

Paulien
Posted By: kennyso Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 25th, 2007 at 10:29 PM
Blakcs would make a nice 'specimen plant' for my container garden...gotta convince my mom flowers come in ALL colours! laugh laugh laugh I could do experiments on black flowers as well, check out the composition of black colouring that makes them black!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 26th, 2007 at 01:40 PM
Hi Dodge, the mouth is doing good. Can't keep the lower denture in place but the top is doing great. Hopefully when I can use the polygrip the bottom will stay in place. Thankyou for asking.

Maja24, I hear you and have added those plants to your wish list. I don't think I've seen them yet but then my memory isn't what it once was and there are a bunch of seeds. I'll keep looking

Kennyso, the seeds I've gotten that are black wouldn't do well in pots. But if I get some that would do well that way I'll definitely keep you in mind.

As a general update we are up to 35 members for the Fling and I am still behind on the paper work. I think I mentioned that I took on some church duties recently. Unfortunately, they are taking more time than I had originally thought. So I am taking more time to get everything done. That's because I don't want to hurry and mess up. Hopefully I'll get everything squared away in the next few days.
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 26th, 2007 at 02:02 PM
tk
Glad to hear your healing in the mouth.

Yes the bottom will take longer to get used to. I know... However one bit of consulation, they bottom wont fall down.. ha ha .

Glad your busy with church...Worthy occupation.

barb
Posted By: njoynit Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 26th, 2007 at 05:27 PM
Well I have YOUR box ready.And my baggie is sitting in the box for shipment.But I remembered where some more nandina bushes were growing so going to see if the birds left any seeds behind.But I got a good sized area cleaned off the bar!at least a foot of space!

I'd go for black & white.Reminds me...need to check my bat seeds.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 26th, 2007 at 06:22 PM
take your time tammy. kissies i bet the swap is alot to handle, with so many people, seeds and wish lists n-all. pluse church stuff! i know i couldnt do it! i'd be flippy in a week! perpl laugh

njoynit those bat seeds can take 1-9 months to germinate. well worth the wait, there so cool! im hopin i do good so i can share in the next swap!! couldnt this time cause i only had a few seeds so im keepin my fingers crossed! wink
Posted By: maja24 Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 26th, 2007 at 06:55 PM
Tammy, my seeds are on their way to you!

Take care!

Paulien
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 26th, 2007 at 10:50 PM
Hey all,

lolw/Dodge, so true about the bottoms lol.

Njoynit, I was suprised by the amount of interest in the black and white garden. I'm not sure if I'll have enough seeds for everyone but I'll try my best.

Sibyl, that's one long germination period. I thought the avocado seeds to a long time at 3 months. Currently I have a wooly dutchman's pipevine and madagascar jasmine germinating and they are suppose to take a long time too. Hope my patience holds out.

Hi Paulien,

I'll keep my eyes open for your seeds. I know everyone is holding their breath to see what you send in. Your seeds were very popular last fall.

I spent all day today on e-mails trying to get organized. I think I'm closer but then I haven't went down stairs for the mail yet either and it's 6:00 p.m. almost lol. Oh well another day.
Posted By: patunia Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 27th, 2007 at 02:20 AM
I need to dig up most of my Montbretia next weekend, but since they are corms rather than seeds, just where do i offer them? do you have a cutting, bulb/corm/rhizome exchange? this is a 4' x 3' patch i started from a single corm i "smuggled" out of the south of Ireland in 1999. [very dark red and orange]
so there's probably a hundred extra in there by now.
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 27th, 2007 at 02:55 AM
patunia,

You can list them on seeds trades..
I want some ......about 6......I can trade for something else.

Being I married an Irishman and my daughter in law is Irish also.

LMK.
dodge
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 27th, 2007 at 06:01 PM
Tammy, sorry to hear that you are having a tough time! This seed exchange has got to be a ton of work, it was so generous of you to do it. Even more generous is the volunteering for the church! You've got to be one busy lady.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 27th, 2007 at 09:14 PM
Originally posted by patunia:
I need to dig up most of my Montbretia next weekend, but since they are corms rather than seeds, just where do i offer them? do you have a cutting, bulb/corm/rhizome exchange? this is a 4' x 3' patch i started from a single corm i "smuggled" out of the south of Ireland in 1999. [very dark red and orange]
so there's probably a hundred extra in there by now.
Patunia I wouldn't mind some either! smile can we work out a trade?

TAmmy, through much prcrastination, I'm going to drop the seeds in the mail box in a few minutes when I go to check the mail. There are two envelopes...one bigger one and one o fthose smaller ones (the 3/$1 ones) I put hand cancel on the bigger one.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 27th, 2007 at 09:16 PM
LandofOz, Sometimes it does get interesting.

For all of you who have requested lotus seeds. From what I understand it takes almost a year from fruit to seed so I wouldn't expect to see any. I have seen the root extentions in the garden centers though with other pond plants. That might be a place to look. And then we can all have seeds to share. Just a thought. I know I would love to have one too if I had a huge bowl to put it in.

Well I have caught up with all the paperwork I am happy to say. Now I can walk out to the mailbox guilt free lol.

I still have some seeds to identify as to weather they are annual, veggie, perennial or vine but I'm getting there with that too.

Right now I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. This morning I was over a hundred seed packets behind and it was getting scary lol.
Posted By: dodge Re: Spring Fling... (part 2) - February 27th, 2007 at 10:04 PM
tkhooper........

Whoopie......Your a winner.. You even look up the annual perrenial?????????/I didnt know that.
I put that on mine......Your nifty.

keep going..
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]