This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Help, we just moved to a new house, and the back yard has 2 GIANT oak trees that do not allow any sun. The grass barely grows back there, espically next to the house. I want to plant something along the bottom of the house to conceal the big bare strip I have, but not really sure what would do well here. I live in zone 8, it gets hot here, I wanted some foxgloves, but was told they do not grow well here due to the heat. I was thinking columbine? Please help!!!

J
J
Hostas! thumbup

M
M
Bleeding Hearts? Does it get ANY sun at all? How tall do you want stuff to get? Hostas are always a nice easy choice, those things would grow on a nuclear dump, I swear.
What about Hydrangea? Those are pretty low maint. But they do need a dappling of sun.
Astilbe might do OK there too.

M
M
forgot to add...if you did Hostas, you could plant a row of Impatients in front of them every year, they would do well in a shaded area like that.

R
R

OP Offline
Thanks, I'm going to look around and see if I can find some of these plants. I thought about hosta's and bleeding hearts.

P
P
surround your bleeding hearts with hostas.
the bleeding hearts die back in summer heat and look puny. the hostas will screen them.
maybe intermingle some caladiums with them.
ive also put some calla lilies in and around them and so far they are doing real good,no blooms but plenty of foilage

OP Offline
Oh, I bet that would be pretty.

That does sound really pretty...this is my first year with hosta's and so far so good with them.
I have also planted calla lilies too and they really are a pretty plant too.
Good luck with it thumbup flw flw

moon flower bush would be good too a nice fragrance in the evening and produces lots of seeds for more placement

OP Offline
I got some hosta's and I'm looking for bleeding hearts. I have 2 moon flower bushes, LOVE them!!

M
M
Originally posted by gardenfairy:
I got some hosta's and I'm looking for bleeding hearts. I have 2 moon flower bushes, LOVE them!!
Do some research on the Bleeding Heart varieties. They have a hybrid out that supposedly blooms all summer, or for the better part of it, anyway.

That would look nice with the Hosta's, can you post some pics once your done?

i have some bleeding heart seeds ,maybe we could tradefor some of your moon flower seeds

I use hostas, ferns, Astilbe, Coral Bells, lily of the Valley, Sweet Woodruff, Bleeding Heart, and just added Mukdenia rossii 'Crimson Fans' this year. wink It was too late to see the little white flowers that bloom in the spring, but the foliage is awesome! thumbup This plant is hardy to from zone 4-9, so it might be a good choice! wink I'm thrilled with mine and can't wait until next spring to see the flowers. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard