A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: gardenfairy plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 21st, 2006 at 03:23 PM
Help, we just moved to a new house, and the back yard has 2 GIANT oak trees that do not allow any sun. The grass barely grows back there, espically next to the house. I want to plant something along the bottom of the house to conceal the big bare strip I have, but not really sure what would do well here. I live in Zone 8, it gets hot here, I wanted some foxgloves, but was told they do not grow well here due to the heat. I was thinking columbine? Please help!!!
Posted By: johnCT Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 21st, 2006 at 11:28 PM
Hostas! thumbup
Posted By: murphyette Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 22nd, 2006 at 03:48 AM
Bleeding Hearts? Does it get ANY sun at all? How tall do you want stuff to get? Hostas are always a nice easy choice, those things would grow on a nuclear dump, I swear.
What about Hydrangea? Those are pretty low maint. But they do need a dappling of sun.
Astilbe might do OK there too.
Posted By: murphyette Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 22nd, 2006 at 03:49 AM
forgot to add...if you did Hostas, you could plant a row of Impatients in front of them every year, they would do well in a shaded area like that.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 22nd, 2006 at 12:39 PM
hot temp shade plants...

abutilon , aucuba japonica , camellia , gardenia , hydrangea macrophylla , acanthus mollis , clivia , aconitum , chinese foxglove ,

grow under oaks...

aucuba, nandina domestica , rhus ovata , bergenia , heuchera
Posted By: gardenfairy Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 22nd, 2006 at 02:29 PM
Thanks, I'm going to look around and see if I can find some of these plants. I thought about hosta's and bleeding hearts.
Posted By: porter57 Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 23rd, 2006 at 04:55 AM
surround your bleeding hearts with hostas.
the bleeding hearts die back in summer heat and look puny. the hostas will screen them.
maybe intermingle some caladiums with them.
ive also put some calla lilies in and around them and so far they are doing real good,no blooms but plenty of foilage
Posted By: gardenfairy Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 23rd, 2006 at 10:23 PM
Oh, I bet that would be pretty.
That does sound really pretty...this is my first year with hosta's and so far so good with them.
I have also planted calla lilies too and they really are a pretty plant too.
Good luck with it thumbup flw flw
Posted By: angelblossom Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 25th, 2006 at 02:02 PM
moon flower bush would be good too a nice fragrance in the evening and produces lots of seeds for more placement
Posted By: gardenfairy Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 25th, 2006 at 02:33 PM
I got some hosta's and I'm looking for bleeding hearts. I have 2 moon flower bushes, LOVE them!!
Posted By: murphyette Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - July 25th, 2006 at 11:36 PM
Originally posted by gardenfairy:
I got some hosta's and I'm looking for bleeding hearts. I have 2 moon flower bushes, LOVE them!!
Do some research on the Bleeding Heart varieties. They have a hybrid out that supposedly blooms all summer, or for the better part of it, anyway.
That would look nice with the Hosta's, can you post some pics once your done?
Posted By: jbaby7162000 Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - August 7th, 2006 at 02:15 AM
i have some bleeding heart seeds ,maybe we could tradefor some of your moon flower seeds
Posted By: patches1414 Re: plants for shade, but handle hot temps (Zone 8) - August 8th, 2006 at 12:24 PM
I use hostas, ferns, Astilbe, Coral Bells, Lily of the Valley, Sweet Woodruff, Bleeding Heart, and just added Mukdenia rossii 'Crimson Fans' this year. wink It was too late to see the little white flowers that bloom in the spring, but the foliage is awesome! thumbup This plant is hardy to from zone 4-9, so it might be a good choice! wink I'm thrilled with mine and can't wait until next spring to see the flowers. smile
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]