This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#144267 October 7th, 2006 at 09:47 PM
WOW!!! Who would've thunk that Wrennie's idea would BLOSSOM into something so BIG?!? thumbup This is getting sooooo exciting! I hope everyone who wants to, can make it!

Cindy better get busy making those GH tee-shirts!!!
We're gonna need them before then! thumbup

#144268 October 7th, 2006 at 09:51 PM
And maybe make arrangements for Lola for a couple of days so that you can come up too....it would be awsome if you could make it!
Didnt i read somewhere that Jiffy was thinking of coming up north next summer too???

#144269 October 8th, 2006 at 02:35 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
If this camping trip actually does happen, you can count me in.
Oh it is definitely happening. thumbup

(Yoo-hoo...Comfrey....you're coming too.)
Go get her Christina! thumbup

#144270 October 8th, 2006 at 02:37 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
Campers, possible campers, day visitors, and maybes so far:
Me
Penny(inOntario)
Tonya
Rita(springfever)
Lynne(plants-n-pots)
Angie(Chenno)
Triss
Chermoni
Melcon
ChristinaC
(p.s. motel and B&B stayers I'm also calling campers)

#144271 October 8th, 2006 at 02:45 AM
Wrennie, maybe you've already posted this and I missed it, but could you list the names of a campground, a B&B, and a motel that is very close together???? I don't want us spread all over the place, I'd rather be really close by so maybe some of us could share meals and such....Also, I know I won't be driving around after being with you guys ! laugh lala

#144272 October 8th, 2006 at 03:10 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
Mel page 1 about 1/2 way down are some links.
(Not listed)there is a State campground and another private one up from me. and a third near town. I'll have to do a better search and list them all.
The state one is Woodland Valley Campground.

#144273 October 8th, 2006 at 03:15 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
Ooooooh More ideas!!!
Some of us do crafts like knitting, crocheting etc. If anyone wants to learn these things we could take time to teach each other. Duh

PS theres virtually no cell phone service in town. If the cell towers go up before our outing I'll let ya' know.

If you can think of anyone who possibly would want to come who may not come to 'interactions' let them know. K?

#144274 October 8th, 2006 at 03:16 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
One more:
Is anyone a wild plants expert? Whats what, whats edible etc? We could do a weed walk.

#144275 October 8th, 2006 at 03:38 AM
How about an "in person" seed swap?
Or perennial plant swap?
By July, I know I'll have some plants that will have needed to be divided and thinned out.

I'm game for teaching knitting basics if anyone wants to learn. I don't know the real fancy stuff... yet! laugh All I would ask is for those who would like to learn, to bring a set of needles and some yarn - nothing fancy or expensive to start with, of course. I think I started with size 8, 10 inch long needles for those who are wondering.

There are a few basics ways to learn knitting - I'd be happy to show the way I learned from my mom, many years ago.

#144276 October 8th, 2006 at 04:42 AM
T
T
Road trip! Mid-July is better for me smile Over how many days? I think a seed/plant swap is a great idea!

#144277 October 8th, 2006 at 09:04 AM
I am so excited that there are more and more people planning on coming. It is still in the planning and hoping stages for me, but I really think that if life continues for us as it has, we should be able to make the trip out for sure!

#144278 October 8th, 2006 at 10:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you might want to check out getting a group rate at the hotel...which would also make it easier for carpooling those who fly in and don't have a car handy.

count me as a strong maybe!! i have a game convention that i'm planning on going to in july...if it turns out to be expensive (which depends on what city it's held in and we don't know that yet) i won't be able to afford another trip...

#144279 October 8th, 2006 at 05:26 PM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
Campers, possible campers, day visitors, and maybes so far:
Me
Penny(inOntario)
Tonya
Rita(springfever)
Lynne(plants-n-pots)
Angie(Chenno)
Triss
Chermoni
Melcon
ChristinaC
Tomacco
Joclyn
(p.s. motel and B&B stayers I'm also calling campers)

heres a good site to look at.
Ulster County Tourism

another nearby shop
Hand blown glass

Woodland Valley Campsite (state)

#144280 October 8th, 2006 at 05:30 PM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
**Note**
If you're flying in and want to learn to knit (Thanks Lynne! clp ) or crochet (I can help there) dont try to bring knitting needles or a crochet hook on the plane. I assume they wont let it on. There is a store in town that sells needles hooks and yarn, theres also a yarn shop in Woodstock.

Tomacco we were calling it a weekend. You can come early, stay late or both. I plan on staying here forever... clp I think thats a great idea.

#144281 October 8th, 2006 at 06:01 PM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
Campsites in Phoenicia:
Hide-A-Way Campsite
900 Woodland Valley Road Phoenicia, NY 12464 Phone: 845 688-5109
May-September. 48 sites; electric and sewage hookups. Dry/flush toilets, hiking trails nearby. Pets allowed.

Phoenicia Black Bear Campground and RV Park
17 Bridge Street Phoenicia, NY 12464 Phone: 845 688-7405 Email: phoeniciacampground@hvc.rr.com Website: http://www.home.hvc.rr.com/catskill
Year round. On the Esopus Creek. Restrooms and hot showers. Dumping station, electric and water hookups. Camp store, large firepits. Tables at each site. Seasonal monthly, weekly and daily rates. Groups welcomed. Pets allowed. Daily bus transportation from NYC to our entrance via Adirondack Trailways (800 858-8555).

Woodland Valley Public Campground
1319 Woodland Valley Road Phoenicia, NY 12464 Phone: 845 688-7647 (S), 845 256-3099 (P) Website: http://www.dec.state.ny.us
Mid-May-Columbus Day. 72 sites. Dumping station, fireplaces, fishing, flush toilets and hot showers, tables, hiking trails, stream, recreation building. Pets allowed.

(this one is a mile or two before town on the main road)
Sleepy Hollow Campsite
5636 Route 28 Phoenicia, NY 12464 Phone: 845 688-5471
May-October 1. 97 sites with electric. Creek, dumping station, fireplaces, fishing, flush toilets, hiking trails, showers and tables. Pets allowed.

Some of these are repeated from p1 and the above posts But I thought putting them in 1 spot was a good idea.
The Ulster County tourism site, if looking for a B&B or motel look in Phoenicia, Chichester, or even Mt.Tremper, for the closest.

Fishing license information

Hiking Information

#144282 October 8th, 2006 at 10:17 PM
Wrennie - as of right now - of course this can change at any second!!! - knitting needles, crochet needles and scissors with BLUNT POINTS (such as kids rounded scissors) ARE ALLOWED on planes.

Here is the page to check out what is, and is not permitted - I would suggest refreshing this page often, as we get closer to Summer Camp!!!

permitted items on planes

This list is also helpful for any other items people might be questioning...

#144283 October 9th, 2006 at 12:25 AM
T
T
Originally posted by Wrennie:
**Note**
If you're flying in ... dont try to bring knitting needles or a crochet hook on the plane. I assume they wont let it on...
Frequent flyer here. Knitting needles, etc., would not be allowed in carry-on luggage but would be allowed as checked baggage under the plane. Just double check with the airline smile
Originally posted by Wrennie:
Tomacco we were calling it a weekend. You can come early, stay late or both. I plan on staying here forever... lala
Wrennie, it will be great as a weekend! As the real organising gets underway in the spring, I bet you can keep everyone busy from Friday afternoon through Sunday evening. If there's anything I can help you with, just ask. I'm dreaming of roasting marshmallows and meeting friends!

I do believe I shall have a significant number of granddaughters ready for adoption by then!

#144284 October 9th, 2006 at 12:38 AM
I've been "secretly" reading this until about now... laugh laugh
I think this is a great idea, and would really be a lot of fun--for everybody!
Not sure if I can came...even as a day visitor--being 14 (15 then) and all. Will check with the family and see what they say. Otherwise--I'll be expecting MANY, MANY pics! laugh laugh thumbup

#144285 October 9th, 2006 at 12:42 AM
Tomacco - not to be contrary here Duh p

#144286 October 9th, 2006 at 02:10 AM
T
T
I am indeed talking about jade granddaughters smile You're thinking about adopting out your 16-year old? LOL!

I didn't visit the link you provided. I'm so trained about how to get through security (domestic and overeas) without being pulled aside that I wouldn't dream of bringing anything that 1 hour pre-flight, could be reclassified as a weapon and end up in the trash smile

I've been snagged for lingerie hooks, staples in my shoes (clogs), and Southwest asked me to raise my shirt once for inspection of the button on my jeans! It was the Halloween after 9/11 and to raise the mood, Southest employees were dressed in costume. The "button inspector" was wearing a clown suit and rainbow wig. Needless to say, all waiting passengers were laughing their butts off right along with security (and me)!

#144287 October 9th, 2006 at 02:28 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess next spring/summer whoever flies will have to check that page and we'll go from there. Just in case anything changes they are available here. thumbup

Mark, bring a family member.....

#144288 October 9th, 2006 at 04:54 AM
Yep, Tomacco - my 16 year old!!! :rolleyes: Duh thumbup - the best thing to do would be to pack the needles in luggage that goes in cargo, as I mentioned above - the only reason one might want to take them on board is to have something to do during the flight...

Wrennie - I agree with whoever mentioned it before - can't remember now - about seeing if there might be a group rate at the hotel or B&B? Would you please find that out for us?

#144289 October 9th, 2006 at 08:28 AM
M
M
Yes, yes! Depending on the date and our moving plans, but yes, yes! Since we live only ~50 min away, I'll be a day tripper, sans family. What a wonderful idea!!!

#144290 October 9th, 2006 at 08:39 AM
ohhhhhhhhhh Margaret - I hope you are still here!!!
I would really like to meet you, and thank you in person for your great gift!

#144291 October 9th, 2006 at 05:31 PM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:

Wrennie - I agree with whoever mentioned it before - can't remember now - about seeing if there might be a group rate at the hotel or B&B? Would you please find that out for us?
This would be ok after I find out how many people want a hotel and which one they pick. Also
I found out a couple in town will rent out a room in or their whole house. It sleeps 11 max. I think for $250 I forget the individual rate.
THEN I thought of Harry. He owns a "campground" Its big enough for probably all who want to camp. But there are no showers, or electric or water hook ups. I'd have to ask him on price. There are restrooms.
While people are "shopping around through those links they can look for ones with group rates too.
I think Triss' family counts for a group rate?? No??

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard