This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#136233 February 27th, 2006 at 04:21 AM
O
OP Offline
O
I read earlier today about JV and others who were planning on attending the Dallas Home and Garden Show.

Miss Jamie, the Maymont flower and Garden Show is held in Richmond each February. It's already over for this year, but here's the link.

Maymont Flower and Garden Show

I went last year. It was nice, but the year before I went to the Southern Spring Home and Garden Show in Charlotte, NC. It's a lot bigger. I'm going again on Wednesday. It's running from March 1-5.

#136234 February 27th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
wow thanks terry! I don't have my license this year but hopefully by the time it comes next year I'll be able to go to it! and hopefully I'll have a pickup truck or SUV then laugh laugh

#136235 February 27th, 2006 at 10:49 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Can I have a ride next year? lol. Just kidding. Hope you are both doing really well.

#136236 February 27th, 2006 at 12:19 PM
I'll pick ya up Tammy. I'm due for a vacation. thumbup

#136237 February 27th, 2006 at 08:56 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Christina,
Pick me up on the way thru.....
I am wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over due for a vacation.. wink wink laugh thumbup

#136238 February 28th, 2006 at 12:41 AM
hi christina,

do you go go to the garden show in toronto when its on, i havent been before but i am thinking of making a trip to the city for it this year.
happy gardening everyone...
penny

#136239 February 28th, 2006 at 12:59 AM
Penny, I've never been but I would just love to!! I'll have to look into it to see when and where it is. Might be a bit cheaper to do that than to head to Virginia to pick up Tammy and then go to NC. wink laugh

#136240 February 28th, 2006 at 01:05 AM
it would be chaeper for sure laugh
i did check it out and its march 16th to the 19th at the international centre.
i am hoping to get there and be nosey and check out all the new gardening stuff, now if i can convince someone to go with me, most of my friends ideas of gardening is buying at pot of flowers at canadian tire and calling it a day laugh
penny

#136241 March 1st, 2006 at 11:53 PM
i did check it out and its march 16th to the 19th at the international centre
See, I thought you were talking about the Canada Blooms: The Toronto flower and Garden Show. That one is March 8-12 and I had already made plans to go on the 10th but now after reading your post again, you were talking about the International Home and Garden Show. Now I'm torn between which one to go to. Which one would be better? I can't afford to make two trips to Toronto a week apart.

#136242 March 2nd, 2006 at 12:06 AM
i am hoping to go to the international home and garden one, i know people who have been to both and thought the home and garden one was better.
you are in sarnia right, so getting to toronto would be a long trip for you, i can get there in about an hour and half, my husband says it depends on how heavy my foot is feeling (lol).
let me know what one you are heading too.
penny

#136243 March 2nd, 2006 at 12:16 AM
Well now I'm not sure. To be honest the one at the International Center falls on a better weekend for me..and it's 4$ cheaper to get into.
It takes maybe 2.5 hours to get to Toronto. The drive doesn't bother me at all. I haven't been to Toronto in years! When I go, I can't see myself just attending the gardening show. There's so much more to do in Toronto. If I could promise myself just to go to the show and come home, I could afford both...but I don't trust myself. lala

#136244 March 2nd, 2006 at 12:22 AM
thats funny, decisions decisions-hmmm
i am going to go to the one at the international centre, i am hoping to take my one daughter, she is into flowers and things like that, the older one couldnt be bothered with stuff like that, so its a road trip for me....
penny

#136245 March 2nd, 2006 at 02:00 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
We have one here, in Buffalo on March 23~26th..
Called Plantasia and it's being held at the
Erie County Fairgrounds..
www.the-fairgrounds.com

I always say, I'd like to go, but never get around to going... eek someday, when the kids are bit older and can be left at home and not
dragged behind me...

#136246 March 2nd, 2006 at 02:07 AM
hi weezie, its great when you get to that stage, i know how you feel, its so nice when they hit their teen years, mine are 15 and almost 16, so we can come and go as we please, and the best is that you dont have to worry about sitters anymore, none would go to the show with you/
penny

#136247 March 2nd, 2006 at 02:19 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
It's not really all that..
it's either draggin' the kids' and payin' for them or payin' for the babysitter..
and we're a one income family..... so, gas tanks being filled and broken cars need to be fixed, and without me workin'....let's just say, we are grateful to have pizza $$ and movie $$ at the end of every week... *which we use up every week doing movie and pizza family night..*
so, for right now, it's kinda a big NO...

I think ours even costs something like 8 or 9 dollars to get in..soo, add up 2 adults, 2 kids, and gas in, which is about a 45 minute drive..
and we'd have to have lunch......
and then my pour husband would be cause everythings' so crisp and clean at those shows..uhhhhh, obviously for the shows, and our back yard is farrrrrrrrrr from crisp and clean...it's more like cluttered and chaos... and if he's going to do landscaping and such, he'd do it the professional way.
*he used to do that stuff when he was younger* and he's not crazy about my hap~hazard way of cheaply gardening..sooooooo he doesn't have much to do with it...

But when we get some money, I know he'll be right back there with his two cents..

#136248 March 2nd, 2006 at 02:26 AM
i have a husband who believes in doing everything to its fullest, nothing half way, and i am like you, if i see a good deal i grab it and that goes for my gardening too and it drives him nuts, he thinks the same, everything needs it place and has to look just so, i always make sure the front looks great but the back is the dogs domain, and i try to do things cheap back there but am going to tie into it this summer with the flower bed and little garden, he will hate when i put my yard sale and bargain finds in there (lol).
penny

#136249 March 2nd, 2006 at 02:32 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My husband says, He'd have a house in the middle of a flower bed if he let me......
I'd make everything a flower bed and NO MOWING..

Yeah, he's that way exactly...
I even had to fire him years back cause he was weed~whackin' everything off, that hung over my bed or a wild flower I was tryin'g to let flower to get the seeds, it was terrible..

and ohhhhhhh my gosh, get him and my father in law in the back yard together mad frown eek
Cut down my American Cranberry bush, trying to tidy things up for me....
***I hardly ever yell... really I don't, when I'm mad, I go silent.. and I don't like getting mad..
but those two had never seen a screaming banshe before and I d@mn near k!lled them two...

***The plant was dormant still, there's a rose of Sharon bush intermingled with it, and that bush leaf's out very early, so when they saw this bunches of dead sticks sticking up thru it and beside it, they thought they'd tidy things up...

They are not allowed to use power tools in the back yard, unless they tell me what they are doing first...
gotta love'em, cause the latter would take me away from my gardening... wink

#136250 March 2nd, 2006 at 02:37 AM
they sound so much alike, Brad thinks that if somthing hasnt been used for awhile, get rid of it, i had a shrub in the back yard that the dog left alone and he thought it looked sickly, so out it came, he thought i would be happy to see it go, it was a spierea bush, i had got it at a garden sale-imagine that,and i guess in truth it didnt look the best, but what can you do???
penny

#136251 March 2nd, 2006 at 02:42 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Tell him, "HE'S FIRED!!" wink wink wink laugh lala

#136252 March 2nd, 2006 at 02:44 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey, here's a link for the show that's here..
Plantasia

#136253 March 2nd, 2006 at 02:45 AM
thats funny laugh
i have to be nice though, because he is MY boss at work lala
penny

#136254 March 2nd, 2006 at 08:15 AM
Boss at work? You two work together??

I think I'm going to the international show Penny. The saturday I think will work best for me.

#136255 March 2nd, 2006 at 09:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Too bad you guys can't catch up with Carly,
she's in Toronto...
What day is that one you're talkin' about Christina?
(I do know Carly's leavin' this Sat, to go to
the west side of Canada I think she said, for a week or 10 days..)

#136256 March 2nd, 2006 at 10:35 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Charlotte's garden show was great. Let's see how the pictures turn out now. The plants were noticeably fresher this time probably because this was the first day of the show. 2 years ago, I went on Thursday and some of the tulips and other plants were drooping. I only noticed one plant today that seemed a bit dry. A star magnolia had a few brown flowers and some others that were limp.

I am so stuffed though. Soon after arriving there I had an Italian sausage sandwich with cole slaw. It must have been a half pound! And, of course, I had to sample all the dips and quick breads and nuts and cookies and meatballs with barbecue sauce. . . at the taste and travel pavilion. Then after the show we had planned on stopping in Cornelius (20 miles north) at Thai Marlai, but decided not to wait 2 hours before it opened at 5:00 so we drove almost home and stopped in Floyd at Oddfella's Cantina where I had a delmonica steak with Roquefort cheese sauce. It was probably at least 16 oz. and I ate the whole thing! It cost 20 bucks, but at worst it was the second best steak of my life! It was natural beef too, so no hormones--that's always a plus! Yum, I can still taste it.

#136257 March 2nd, 2006 at 10:39 AM
Second best steak? I must ask...where did you have the best?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard