A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: obywan59 Garden shows - February 27th, 2006 at 04:21 AM
I read earlier today about JV and others who were planning on attending the Dallas Home and Garden Show.

Miss Jamie, the Maymont Flower and Garden Show is held in Richmond each February. It's already over for this year, but here's the link.

Maymont Flower and Garden Show

I went last year. It was nice, but the year before I went to the Southern Spring Home and Garden Show in Charlotte, NC. It's a lot bigger. I'm going again on Wednesday. It's running from March 1-5.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Garden shows - February 27th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
wow thanks terry! I don't have my license this year but hopefully by the time it comes next year I'll be able to go to it! and hopefully I'll have a pickup truck or SUV then laugh laugh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Garden shows - February 27th, 2006 at 10:49 AM
Can I have a ride next year? lol. Just kidding. Hope you are both doing really well.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Garden shows - February 27th, 2006 at 12:19 PM
I'll pick ya up Tammy. I'm due for a vacation. thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - February 27th, 2006 at 08:56 PM
Christina,
Pick me up on the way thru.....
I am wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over due for a vacation.. wink wink laugh thumbup
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - February 28th, 2006 at 12:41 AM
hi christina,

do you go go to the garden show in toronto when its on, i havent been before but i am thinking of making a trip to the city for it this year.
happy gardening everyone...
penny
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Garden shows - February 28th, 2006 at 12:59 AM
Penny, I've never been but I would just love to!! I'll have to look into it to see when and where it is. Might be a bit cheaper to do that than to head to Virginia to pick up Tammy and then go to NC. wink laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - February 28th, 2006 at 01:05 AM
it would be chaeper for sure laugh
i did check it out and its march 16th to the 19th at the international centre.
i am hoping to get there and be nosey and check out all the new gardening stuff, now if i can convince someone to go with me, most of my friends ideas of gardening is buying at pot of flowers at canadian tire and calling it a day laugh
penny
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Garden shows - March 1st, 2006 at 11:53 PM
i did check it out and its march 16th to the 19th at the international centre
See, I thought you were talking about the Canada Blooms: The Toronto Flower and Garden Show. That one is March 8-12 and I had already made plans to go on the 10th but now after reading your post again, you were talking about the International Home and Garden Show. Now I'm torn between which one to go to. Which one would be better? I can't afford to make two trips to Toronto a week apart.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 12:06 AM
i am hoping to go to the international home and garden one, i know people who have been to both and thought the home and garden one was better.
you are in sarnia right, so getting to toronto would be a long trip for you, i can get there in about an hour and half, my husband says it depends on how heavy my foot is feeling (lol).
let me know what one you are heading too.
penny
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 12:16 AM
Well now I'm not sure. To be honest the one at the International Center falls on a better weekend for me..and it's 4$ cheaper to get into.
It takes maybe 2.5 hours to get to Toronto. The drive doesn't bother me at all. I haven't been to Toronto in years! When I go, I can't see myself just attending the gardening show. There's so much more to do in Toronto. If I could promise myself just to go to the show and come home, I could afford both...but I don't trust myself. lala
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 12:22 AM
thats funny, decisions decisions-hmmm
i am going to go to the one at the international centre, i am hoping to take my one daughter, she is into flowers and things like that, the older one couldnt be bothered with stuff like that, so its a road trip for me....
penny
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 02:00 AM
We have one here, in Buffalo on March 23~26th..
Called Plantasia and it's being held at the
Erie County Fairgrounds..
www.the-fairgrounds.com

I always say, I'd like to go, but never get around to going... eek someday, when the kids are bit older and can be left at home and not
dragged behind me...
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 02:07 AM
hi weezie, its great when you get to that stage, i know how you feel, its so nice when they hit their teen years, mine are 15 and almost 16, so we can come and go as we please, and the best is that you dont have to worry about sitters anymore, none would go to the show with you/
penny
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 02:19 AM
It's not really all that..
it's either draggin' the kids' and payin' for them or payin' for the babysitter..
and we're a one income family..... so, gas tanks being filled and broken cars need to be fixed, and without me workin'....let's just say, we are grateful to have pizza $$ and movie $$ at the end of every week... *which we use up every week doing movie and pizza family night..*
so, for right now, it's kinda a big NO...

I think ours even costs something like 8 or 9 dollars to get in..soo, add up 2 adults, 2 kids, and gas in, which is about a 45 minute drive..
and we'd have to have lunch......
and then my pour husband would be cause everythings' so crisp and clean at those shows..uhhhhh, obviously for the shows, and our back yard is farrrrrrrrrr from crisp and clean...it's more like cluttered and chaos... and if he's going to do landscaping and such, he'd do it the professional way.
*he used to do that stuff when he was younger* and he's not crazy about my hap~hazard way of cheaply gardening..sooooooo he doesn't have much to do with it...

But when we get some money, I know he'll be right back there with his two cents..
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 02:26 AM
i have a husband who believes in doing everything to its fullest, nothing half way, and i am like you, if i see a good deal i grab it and that goes for my gardening too and it drives him nuts, he thinks the same, everything needs it place and has to look just so, i always make sure the front looks great but the back is the dogs domain, and i try to do things cheap back there but am going to tie into it this summer with the flower bed and little garden, he will hate when i put my yard sale and bargain finds in there (lol).
penny
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 02:32 AM
My husband says, He'd have a house in the middle of a flower bed if he let me......
I'd make everything a flower bed and NO MOWING..

Yeah, he's that way exactly...
I even had to fire him years back cause he was weed~whackin' everything off, that hung over my bed or a wild flower I was tryin'g to let flower to get the seeds, it was terrible..

and ohhhhhhh my gosh, get him and my father in law in the back yard together mad frown eek
Cut down my American Cranberry bush, trying to tidy things up for me....
***I hardly ever yell... really I don't, when I'm mad, I go silent.. and I don't like getting mad..
but those two had never seen a screaming banshe before and I d@mn near k!lled them two...

***The plant was dormant still, there's a Rose of Sharon bush intermingled with it, and that bush leaf's out very early, so when they saw this bunches of dead sticks sticking up thru it and beside it, they thought they'd tidy things up...

They are not allowed to use power tools in the back yard, unless they tell me what they are doing first...
gotta love'em, cause the latter would take me away from my gardening... wink
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 02:37 AM
they sound so much alike, Brad thinks that if somthing hasnt been used for awhile, get rid of it, i had a shrub in the back yard that the dog left alone and he thought it looked sickly, so out it came, he thought i would be happy to see it go, it was a spierea bush, i had got it at a garden sale-imagine that,and i guess in truth it didnt look the best, but what can you do???
penny
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 02:42 AM
Tell him, "HE'S FIRED!!" wink wink wink laugh lala
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 02:44 AM
Hey, here's a link for the show that's here..
Plantasia
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 02:45 AM
thats funny laugh
i have to be nice though, because he is MY boss at work lala
penny
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 08:15 AM
Boss at work? You two work together??

I think I'm going to the international show Penny. The saturday I think will work best for me.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 09:54 AM
Too bad you guys can't catch up with Carly,
she's in Toronto...
What day is that one you're talkin' about Christina?
(I do know Carly's leavin' this Sat, to go to
the west side of Canada I think she said, for a week or 10 days..)
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 10:35 AM
Charlotte's garden show was great. Let's see how the pictures turn out now. The plants were noticeably fresher this time probably because this was the first day of the show. 2 years ago, I went on Thursday and some of the tulips and other plants were drooping. I only noticed one plant today that seemed a bit dry. A star magnolia had a few brown flowers and some others that were limp.

I am so stuffed though. Soon after arriving there I had an Italian sausage sandwich with cole slaw. It must have been a half pound! And, of course, I had to sample all the dips and quick breads and nuts and cookies and meatballs with barbecue sauce. . . at the taste and travel pavilion. Then after the show we had planned on stopping in Cornelius (20 miles north) at Thai Marlai, but decided not to wait 2 hours before it opened at 5:00 so we drove almost home and stopped in Floyd at Oddfella's Cantina where I had a delmonica steak with Roquefort cheese sauce. It was probably at least 16 oz. and I ate the whole thing! It cost 20 bucks, but at worst it was the second best steak of my life! It was natural beef too, so no hormones--that's always a plus! Yum, I can still taste it.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 10:39 AM
Second best steak? I must ask...where did you have the best?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 10:42 AM
It was natural beef too, so no hormones
That's what I eat too.. Laura\'s Natural and Lean Beef..
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 10:47 AM
At Frankie Rowlands, an upscale steakhouse in Roanoke. And I didn't have to pay for it either. For awhile, all of the Domino's in town were having a contest to see who ran the best numbers. Whichever store won, all the employees got taken out to eat by the owner to Corned Beef and Company, which had very good food. But the first time, our store happened to have run the best numbers for 3 months in a row, so he took us across the street to FR which was owned by the same people as CB&C (they also happened to be good friends of his). I think the steak I had that night was 20 oz. and by itself cost $28. Garlic mashed Yukon gold potatoes $6, lobster bisque $6, and sauteed mixed mushrooms $5. Plus a beer to start it all off and wine with dinner plus 2 whole lobsters for everybody at our table to share and chocolate cake for dessert. OMG, that was the best meal of my life.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 10:54 AM
OMG..I guess!!
My boyfriend and I are headin' to Toronto to the Home and Garden Show. We're already searchin' for a restaurant to stop at. Debating between Thai, Mexican or like you said, "an upscale steakhouse". So many decisions. Lobster sounds real good!
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 11:06 AM
Yeah, at first I was disappointed we weren't going to the Thai restaurant this evening, but as it turned out, I had a great meal anyway.

I think maybe the next trip to Charlotte will have to be an overnighter so we can eat at Thai Marlai and visit Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden and some of the other gardens in and around Charlotte.
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 11:09 AM
Check out this menu, Christina:

Thai Marlai
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 09:46 PM
hi christina,

yep i do work for my husband, i look after the office,paperwork,accounts, jack of all trades, thats me. i asked my younger daughter if she would go to the home and garden show, she said yes, so she will be coming with me, i am trying to convince my one friend who has a black thumb for gardening to come with me, i think i can convince her, we will be going on saturday too.
penny
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 09:48 PM
we should try to get ahold of carly and netty too, she lives not to far from me and all of us meet up there, can you say pictures for the forum...
penny
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 10:50 PM
You have noooooooooo idea how AWESOME that would be if you alll could do that...
That would be so neat..

*anddddd not to mention all of those flower pictures you all would be posting..* thumbup cool flw clp
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 10:54 PM
i am game for it, just pm me and we can exchange cell numbers and meet at a certain location and have a great day shopping.
penny
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Garden shows - March 2nd, 2006 at 11:48 PM
Check out this menu, Christina
Wow! I'd be there forever trying to decide. But I'd be ordering Tom Yum as soon as I walked in the door...that soup is just unbelievable...I remember the first time I had it, it was like fireworks went off in my mouth. So many flavours I had never tried before...so much to taste..I was in heaven!!

Penny, I'll PM you.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 3rd, 2006 at 12:01 AM
sounds good and i will message netty to see if she would be interested in going, are you staying near by the international centre, its close to the airport.
i will watch for your pm, its to bad weezie couldnt come up for it, that would be a hoot.
penny
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Garden shows - March 3rd, 2006 at 12:14 AM
i just sent a message to netty and hopefully its a go, this will be sooo cool, my daugher will be coming but she's 14, so no worries about that,i will watch for your message christina and will give you our cell # too, hopefully carly will be around too.
penny
Posted By: Carly Re: Garden shows - March 3rd, 2006 at 03:50 AM
I wish i could go with you . . . I'm going away on Saturday. I'll be out in British Columbia for most of March.

But there's a line in one of the Cowboy Junkie's recordings . . .

I'll be bringin' back the poetry and all the rhythm that I find . . .

unquote

It's from a song called To Live is to Fly - by Townsend, I think.
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Garden shows - March 3rd, 2006 at 12:12 PM
Is anyone planning on going to the flower show in Boston next weekend? http://www.masshort.org/ We went last year and it was fantastic! They had a lot of displays, and they were all beautiful. We're making a mini-vacation out of it. We're 3 hours away, so we're leaving Friday morning, going to the Celtics game Friday night, and then the Flower Show and Childrens' Museum Saturday and Sunday. I'm getting so excited--I can't wait!
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Garden shows - March 4th, 2006 at 01:41 AM
This is what I picked up at the CT Flower Show last weekend: [Linked Image]
Haworthia

[Linked Image]
Great basket of bulbs for $10!!!

[Linked Image]
palm begonia-grows to 10' tall!!

I just love flower shows cool
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 5th, 2006 at 10:14 AM
JV/Jimmy and Angelblossom/Diane and Aaron got to go to theirs...
JV and I went to Dallas Home & garden show thumbup grinnnn flw flw cool gab gab
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Garden shows - March 5th, 2006 at 10:15 AM
That is so cool!! thumbup Who's Aaron though?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Garden shows - March 5th, 2006 at 10:26 AM
He's a new member, he does some Bromelaids and stuff, check out into the Cactus section I think he's posted in.. AaronD
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Garden shows - March 6th, 2006 at 10:16 AM
rozy: does the palm begonia plant bloom?? 10 ' tall wow!! That is so cool!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]