This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#136003 November 8th, 2006 at 11:17 AM
loz, I have heard very good things of Verizon in other states. Like you, I say go for the best price for the best service and $15 a month is unbeatable for DSL.

I think the person in charge of Verizon of Maine just went off the deepend and is trying to get our state to cave to their demands. It isn't going to; and they've lost every battle they've waged so far. I wish they'd replace the person at the top of the heap who deals with Maine, and perhaps that person would have a more reasonable policy.

There are many small towns in my area that lie up against each other, with only a sign to show you where one ends and the other begins. The big metropolitan areas are about 15 miles away to the north and south.

For the longest time, Verizon called the little town smack up against my town "long distance"! We are talking inches here, not miles. And so of course, the city 15 miles north was prohibitively expensive to call.

So there was this huge battle about it and our state ended up doing a survey type thing with how many people drive that 15 mile corridor each day for work and shopping and also for telephone usage.

Verizon was finally forced to make the city a "local" calling area -- including the tiny towns inbetween us and them!

But what an expensive, long drawn out ordeal it was! It made people crazy to have to pay a "long distance" rate to call a neighbor on the same street!

Merme

#136004 November 8th, 2006 at 11:19 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Originally posted by loz:
Cindy, if you ever had to go back to dial up it would KILL you! shk
I know. eek
When Andy sees his credit card bill next month he's gonna kill me, anyway.
I put the internet bill on his credit card awhile ago. laugh

#136005 November 8th, 2006 at 11:20 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
Not to disturb you but the ad said $14.99 till the end of November.......

And with a one year payment???????

dodge

#136006 November 8th, 2006 at 11:21 AM
We have our internet through Comcast. It is cable....but not the faster kind. We have a cable modem thinger. I HATE our modem....I swear, sometimes it has PMS. I get so mad at it that I could throw it out the window.

We pay $43 for our internet.

#136007 November 8th, 2006 at 11:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dodge, it was 14.99 a year when you signed a years contract...you didn't actually pay right up front the whole amount...you just had that 14.99 a month stuck on your regular telephone bill each month.....I like it that way because juno took it straight out of my debit account and sometimes I'd forget to write it down! laugh

Cindy, tell Andy to take it easy on you--we need you here! wink

And Merme, what an ordeal to go through! I would hate it if it were that way here! Then again I do sort of understand in a way....There is a town 15 minutes from me that is long distance...but all of the other towns around it aren't--and some are much further. Never made sense to me at all! :p

#136008 November 8th, 2006 at 11:58 AM
eek eek eek eek
I can't get cable or DSL here in the boonies...I have old fashion dial up....And I know I need a new modem...right now I have 36 kbps...max is 44kbps on a good day...I keep hounding my phone company who I have my dail up with service, if enough people in my area would sign up or at least express interest then they would run it on down this 3 miles....3 miles away they have DSL mad mad

So dodge you really do have a very slow connection!!!!!! Mine is pretty slow for dail up...but yours is really bad.

#136009 November 9th, 2006 at 01:45 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
$43.

a month for internet.....

I pay my own an it is $17.50 12.50 if you order it for a year.......

Ha in the am it was 46 kbps
Right nowat 12:44 it back to 24.

This is the 2nd server I feel like ditching.

dodge

#136010 November 9th, 2006 at 11:51 PM
J
J
You guys are funny, lol! If you guys really want to test your connection speeds go here . Most of you are doing little more then listing the max capability of your ethernet network cards installed on your machines. Most often 100 mbps. This is by no means the volume of bandwidth you're receiving from your internet service providers(ISP). Not even close. Even with the fastest T1 or T3 lines you will max out at 20-30 mbps. Most DSL and Cable broadband services limit your upload and download bandwidth anyway, so it is irrelevant what your machines are actually "capable" of. Also, connection speeds will vary dramatically depending on what time of the day it is, because you are sharing the bandwidth with other customers in your area. Ever notice how much faster pages load in the middle of the night as opposed to from say, 6-8pm? Also, with DSL, which is far inferior to Cable in regards to speeds, it depends on how close your house is to the nearest hub. The farther away, the slower it will be. Two customers with the same DSL service can have drastically different connection speeds. Usually DSL speeds range in the 500-1000 kbps, whereas Cable is normally in the 1-1.5 mbps range. There are SOOOO many variables though. Anyway, that's just a quick tutorial. Have fun with that bandwidth test and see how fast your download speeds really are. thumbup

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard