A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: dodge Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:17 AM
I am trying to find out if I have the lousyest server on the Internet......

Right now my service is at 21.6 kbps ..week of Oct it was 46.0 or something.

Everyone tell me what yours is.. You just run your mouse over the Icon at the bottom of your screen and it will show you.........I can almost walk as fast as mine is..

Must call them soon.

Thanks dodge.......... dev
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:21 AM
11 Mbps
I have no idea what that means. Duh
I'm on a wireless laptop.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:25 AM
11?? shk No..that must be wrong Cindy. You have high speed don't you Cindy?

Mine says 54Mbps.
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:27 AM
Good Lord is that Hi speed?

I am talking of regular computer, not wireless or High speed.

dodge
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:28 AM
What icon are you people seeing this at???
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:34 AM
plants n pots

Bottom right on my screen is my servers Icon.
Next to google on mine?

Dont know if their all lined like this or not??

dodge
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:35 AM
I don't see anything like that on mine?
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:41 AM
100 mbps. Is that good?
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:45 AM
Thats great.............

mine is 21 right now..........They said something about the phone company putting a bandwith on my line and it reduces the speed of my internet.

dodge
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:46 AM
I don't have that on here now I have the wireless modem thingy.....when I had dial up I could always check in my icons and it would tell me, but now I switched to this router thing I don't have that. Duh

I wonder how you check if you don't have that icon?
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:50 AM
I have wireless Loz..just hold your cursor over the little computer at the bottom of your screen.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:51 AM
I don't have a little computer icon...just my webshots, avg, webroot, gmail, volume, and printer icons.....Although right now I'm not on the laptop, I'm on the desktop.....hmmmm....
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:52 AM
ok - now you're all getting me scared - I don't have a little computer at the bottom of my screen either! Duh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:53 AM
We can be scared together Lynne! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: badplanter Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:54 AM
laugh laugh laugh laugh
I don't see it either! Duh nutz laugh
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:54 AM
loz

Your not on Pennwoods are you?

barb
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:54 AM
Is there a little arrow where you can extend that bottom icon menu?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:56 AM
not on mine
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:56 AM
christina

yes there is an arrow on mine, to extend.
My tiny icone is right before the arrow.

Just put the mouse cursor on it and it is there.

Guess some of you may have moved that bar to the top of your screen or to the sides..........I prefer bottom..

dodge
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 09:58 AM
badplanter .....

Check your top of the screen or the sides. This bar is movable ......

Keep dancing..

dodge
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:02 AM
Maybe the Hi speeders dont carry those,

Maybe they look like a Nascar race if they had all the Icons and speed?????ha ha ha

dodge
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:03 AM
You can also hit control alt and del (at the same time). Your task manager will come up on your screen. Just hit networking and it will let you know.
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:12 AM
Christina

Your so correct up there ......

May you can melt our snow when it comes..
ha ha
dodge
Posted By: badplanter Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:13 AM
Keep dancing..
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh thumbup

Christina-- I got it using task manager thumbup

100Mbps
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:16 AM
Thanks Christina - finally - PHEW!

Mine is also 100 Mark!
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:18 AM
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE NEWS......NOW I KNOW I AM IN THE CELLAR......

GUESS YOU PAY BIG TIME FOR THAT?

DODGE
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:20 AM
We have optimum online, and yes, we pay through the nose for it! Up until a month ago, it was the only high speed connection we could get here - now Verizon has come and wired the area, but Don doesn't want to switch.
Posted By: Merme Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
I have a little computer at the bottom right of my screen and it also says 100 mbps. I have a cable connection.

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
Mine is 100(thanks Christina) and I don't pay through the nose! grinnnn

I have Verizon and it's only 14.95 a month for their DSL, and I've never had many problems with it at all!
Posted By: badplanter Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
Lynne-- Verizon is putting up some type of fiber-optic wiring here sometime in the near future... is that what they did to your area?
We have aol high-speed here, not sure what payments are.. Duh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:26 AM
PLANTS N POTS.....

tHANKS ..VERIZON IS THE ONE THAT I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH.......
THEY ARE BEING HOG NOW.........

MERME ....THANKS
CABLE YOUR PAYING THRU THE NOSE TOO.
I am learning lots here tonite.

dodge
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:29 AM
loz

verizon Dsl, what are the requirements to use that one?

I have the phone as verizon.

thanks dodge
Posted By: Merme Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:31 AM
No, dodge, I am NOT paying "through the nose" for my connection.

Actually, I got a big SAVINGS when I switched to cable for everything... phone, cable and internet access. The total package was far LESS than what I'd been paying using different companies and for far less quality services and amenitiies. It was a sweet deal, too good to resist, which led me to do it although I strongly dislike the company itself.

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
I have Verizon and it's only 14.95 a month for their DSL,
shk

I am paying $52 a month for cable internet.
I didn't have the money to pay it this month...so I asked Andy to pay it and he said I better go back to dial-up...because he wasn't paying my internet bill. :p Verizon DSL comes within less than a mile from me...but not available where I live.
It's either cable or dial-up here...that's my options.

I may be going back to dial-up in the near future! laugh
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
Ditto Merme...love the deal..can't stand the company!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:35 AM
Merme - which cable company do you use?

Yes, Mark - they came through our neighborhood for WEEKS ON END, with numerous trucks blocking the roads from dusk til dawn - it really was obnoxious.

We have ours through cablevision, which is the company we had to use for cable tv - they had a monopoly in our entire county, and fought Verizon for the longest time. Looks like they finally lost and have some competition now. Don just doesn't like to make changes. Looks like I'm going to have to look into prices to see if it will make a differenc.
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:39 AM
I pay $39. plus tax for my Satellite dish.

We really like it ..But the price is climbing.
HD complained one time to them , cant afford it, they cut the price..
My son did that too. Dish.

What do you use your DSL with ,regular computer?

dodge
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:41 AM
Verizon does have an awful monopoly, but for the price I'll let them have me as a customer...nobody else can give me high speed internet for 14.95 a month!

Barb, it's just right through the phone line.....if you go to their website or call them they can help you switch and send you a special modem box thing, and filters that you put on your phone jacks. thumbup I've only had a few downtimes in my year plus of having them, and that was when there were really bad storms in the area--and even then it was no more than a few hours....nothing unbearable.

Cindy--that sucks that you pay so much.....I'd be on dial up for sure if I had to pay that much for dsl.
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:47 AM
loz

Do you have to pay for the box and filters too/

is this a one time offer?

dodge
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:50 AM
Loz,

Another question ......is that Unlimited use for DSL ?

Boy I am going to drive you bonkers.

barb
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
Unlimited use! thumbup

They sent me the modem thing and I used it until I switched to the wireless modem/router thingy. The original modem box they sent me didn't cost any extra though....I just paid 14.95 a month for the service. When you are done with their DSL or if you switch to wireless like I did you have to send the modem back to them. thumbup
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:55 AM
Cindy was probably right when she posted.....she posted MBPS.....that's MEGAbits per second.....as opposed to Dodge's 21.6 Kbps.....KILObits per second. Cindy's is MUST faster. The 100kbps is because Sheri is probably using a cable modem....am I right??? ...must be NICE! smile

Stephen said that the little computer icon is just for telling you how fast your connection is between the computer and the modem....not the server speed. ...I know nothing about that. Anyways, I CAN tell you that our server speed is 2.5 mbps and that my wireless network speed is 11mbps.
Posted By: Merme Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:57 AM
I had Verizon DSL for a long time also, and was initially happy with it. And they didn't charge extra for the box and filters, Dodge.

But! Verizon, which was new in Maine, got really ticked off when they discovered that our legislators really MEANT the laws they'd written and that they fully intended to keep Verizon's nose to the task, like it or not.

So ... Verizon now provides really shabby quality service up here and have no offices in our state at all. Since they own ALL the phone line wires statewide and have left many of them deteriorate while battles are being waged in Augusta about it, many customers are just switching to other, more reliable and better priced options -- WITHOUT the headache of nasty customer service reps.

Merme
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:59 AM
Well, I must apologize....I didn't realize there were multiple pages to this thread! SORRY!!!! That's what I get for not being home all day and knowing what's going on.
Posted By: Merme Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 10:59 AM
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
Merme - which cable company do you use?
The only one available in my area is Time Warner and I strongly dislike them.

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
Wow Merme! That's terrible.....I've always had good customer service from them--very helpful actually. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with them. kissies

The govt. shouldn't allow them to have such monopolies....I just need to go with what's cheap and gives me good service....I had Juno for years and that was $10 a month for dial up...so the $5 difference is peanuts! And really great to a bargain shopper like me! laugh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:02 AM
ahhhhhhhh - gotcha! I think they are on the same disliked line as Cablevision!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:04 AM
Originally posted by hisgal2:
Cindy was probably right when she posted.....she posted MBPS.....that's MEGAbits per second.....as opposed to Dodge's 21.6 Kbps.....KILObits per second. Cindy's is MUST faster. The 100kbps is because Sheri is probably using a cable modem....am I right??? ...must be NICE! smile

Stephen said that the little computer icon is just for telling you how fast your connection is between the computer and the modem....not the server speed. ...I know nothing about that. Anyways, I CAN tell you that our server speed is 2.5 mbps and that my wireless network speed is 11mbps.
OK...so the 11 Mbps is my network speed.
I was getting worried there for a minute!
I have cable..and it is super fast...like I can down load a song in a few seconds...and pages change in an instant.
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:08 AM
Thanks all.........i just looked up the page on our area......

IT is not available in my area.......Rats.

you guys are spoiled.

My serve is blaming the mess on Verizon here. I could agree.......with shaggy lines...

thanks for all the help.

dodge
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:09 AM
Cindy, if you ever had to go back to dial up it would KILL you! shk

When I had dial up it would take me 20 minutes to download a song...now it takes me about a minute and a half or something--I have the slowest of the DSL options. I could never go back to dial up ever though!
Posted By: Merme Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:17 AM
loz, I have heard very good things of Verizon in other states. Like you, I say go for the best price for the best service and $15 a month is unbeatable for DSL.

I think the person in charge of Verizon of Maine just went off the deepend and is trying to get our state to cave to their demands. It isn't going to; and they've lost every battle they've waged so far. I wish they'd replace the person at the top of the heap who deals with Maine, and perhaps that person would have a more reasonable policy.

There are many small towns in my area that lie up against each other, with only a sign to show you where one ends and the other begins. The big metropolitan areas are about 15 miles away to the north and south.

For the longest time, Verizon called the little town smack up against my town "long distance"! We are talking inches here, not miles. And so of course, the city 15 miles north was prohibitively expensive to call.

So there was this huge battle about it and our state ended up doing a survey type thing with how many people drive that 15 mile corridor each day for work and shopping and also for telephone usage.

Verizon was finally forced to make the city a "local" calling area -- including the tiny towns inbetween us and them!

But what an expensive, long drawn out ordeal it was! It made people crazy to have to pay a "long distance" rate to call a neighbor on the same street!

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:19 AM
Originally posted by loz:
Cindy, if you ever had to go back to dial up it would KILL you! shk
I know. eek
When Andy sees his credit card bill next month he's gonna kill me, anyway.
I put the internet bill on his credit card awhile ago. laugh
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:20 AM
Not to disturb you but the ad said $14.99 till the end of November.......

And with a one year payment???????

dodge
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:21 AM
We have our internet through Comcast. It is cable....but not the faster kind. We have a cable modem thinger. I HATE our modem....I swear, sometimes it has PMS. I get so mad at it that I could throw it out the window.

We pay $43 for our internet.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:44 AM
Dodge, it was 14.99 a year when you signed a years contract...you didn't actually pay right up front the whole amount...you just had that 14.99 a month stuck on your regular telephone bill each month.....I like it that way because juno took it straight out of my debit account and sometimes I'd forget to write it down! laugh

Cindy, tell Andy to take it easy on you--we need you here! wink

And Merme, what an ordeal to go through! I would hate it if it were that way here! Then again I do sort of understand in a way....There is a town 15 minutes from me that is long distance...but all of the other towns around it aren't--and some are much further. Never made sense to me at all! :p
Posted By: comfrey Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 8th, 2006 at 11:58 AM
eek eek eek eek
I can't get cable or DSL here in the boonies...I have old fashion dial up....And I know I need a new modem...right now I have 36 kbps...max is 44kbps on a good day...I keep hounding my phone company who I have my dail up with service, if enough people in my area would sign up or at least express interest then they would run it on down this 3 miles....3 miles away they have DSL mad mad

So dodge you really do have a very slow connection!!!!!! Mine is pretty slow for dail up...but yours is really bad.
Posted By: dodge Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 9th, 2006 at 01:45 AM
$43.

a month for internet.....

I pay my own an it is $17.50 12.50 if you order it for a year.......

Ha in the am it was 46 kbps
Right nowat 12:44 it back to 24.

This is the 2nd server I feel like ditching.

dodge
Posted By: johnCT Re: Kbps of your Internet server... - November 9th, 2006 at 11:51 PM
You guys are funny, lol! If you guys really want to test your connection speeds go here . Most of you are doing little more then listing the max capability of your ethernet network cards installed on your machines. Most often 100 mbps. This is by no means the volume of bandwidth you're receiving from your internet service providers(ISP). Not even close. Even with the fastest T1 or T3 lines you will max out at 20-30 mbps. Most DSL and Cable broadband services limit your upload and download bandwidth anyway, so it is irrelevant what your machines are actually "capable" of. Also, connection speeds will vary dramatically depending on what time of the day it is, because you are sharing the bandwidth with other customers in your area. Ever notice how much faster pages load in the middle of the night as opposed to from say, 6-8pm? Also, with DSL, which is far inferior to Cable in regards to speeds, it depends on how close your house is to the nearest hub. The farther away, the slower it will be. Two customers with the same DSL service can have drastically different connection speeds. Usually DSL speeds range in the 500-1000 kbps, whereas Cable is normally in the 1-1.5 mbps range. There are SOOOO many variables though. Anyway, that's just a quick tutorial. Have fun with that bandwidth test and see how fast your download speeds really are. thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]