This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#131978 September 4th, 2005 at 06:21 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey everyone. I wanted to suggest that we start a topic to be able to do a Bible Study. Not sure how well it will go over or if it is something we can even do here. So I wanted to know thoughts on the subject.

We have such a wide variety of people here and I think a great discussion could be formed.

#131979 September 4th, 2005 at 07:03 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I would love it Triss...and I think I can speak for Tricia as well...because we already do some devotional stuff by e-mail. I just think it needs to be cleared through Mr. Bill first and formost.

#131980 September 4th, 2005 at 07:12 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Count me in ok?

#131981 September 4th, 2005 at 09:18 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Bill? Would this be ok? We could keep the title Bible Study so those who do not want in don't have to come in.

#131982 September 4th, 2005 at 10:15 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Originally posted by Triss:
Bill? Would this be ok? We could keep the title Bible Study so those who do not want in don't have to come in.
I don't mind.... as long as you all behave yourselves!

wink

#131983 September 4th, 2005 at 10:22 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Behave ourselves thumbup I don't believe in forceing people to do anything. angell
Jimmy

#131984 September 5th, 2005 at 12:25 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you so much Bill. I am sure that everyone will behave!

I will get the first thought up in a bit.

#131985 September 5th, 2005 at 01:05 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Hope this is ok with everyone. Not really sure how to do this, so just going to jump in.

So much is going on with the hurricane. I keep hearing people tell one another to have faith and all will be ok. Have faith and the food and water will get here. Have faith and you will survive.

In addition, just last week our Pastor did his sermon on faith. So it has been on my mind quite a bit as of late.

Hebrews 11:6 says "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exisits and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him"

Thoughts to ponder:

What is faith to you? How does faith affect your life?

#131986 September 5th, 2005 at 01:41 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
What is faith to you? How does faith affect your life?
I think you are correct Triss...this is a timely topic.
I believe that every single human being...from infants to elderly...have faith.Faith is a natural, normal instinct (that may not be the word I'm looking for)that is instilled in humans from birth. The question is...what is your FAITH in....?
Even a baby that you set on a table and allowed to "jump" off in your arms...has "faith" that the parent will catch him...as we get older our faith or "beliefs" go in different directions.

God says, the more hopeless your circumstances, the more likely your salvation. The greater your cares, the more genuine your prayers. The darker the room, the greater your need is for light....
(Matt. 5:5) Blessed are the dirt poor, nothing to give, trapped in a corner,destitute, diseased...Jesus said "for THEIRS is the kingdom of Heaven"
I have always heard that the more intellegent the person, the more difficult it is to get them to "believe" or have faith in God...because they cannot reason it out.
So, for ME...faith is the belief that GOd is REAL and that God is good....it is a choice to believe that he is our creator and that he has NOT left us to fend for ourselves. Faith that he will provide and take care of us and that he will do what is right. God's help is near and ALWAYS available, BUT...is only given to those who seek it.

#131987 September 5th, 2005 at 02:02 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
What I don't understand is why it is so hard to have faith and to believe.

For as long as I can remember I have always known and believed that God existed and have never questioned that belief. Even before I became a Christian I knew. It is just not something I have ever doubted.

It is the "ultimate" faith that I wonder if I would have if put to the test. Could I build an ark based on the belief that it would flood. Could I sacrafice one of my children on faith alone? I do not know.

But I do know that I have the ultimate faith that God exists and that He sent his son to die for our sins and that by believing in Him and living for Him, I will be saved.

#131988 September 5th, 2005 at 02:11 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
What I don't understand is why it is so hard to have faith and to believe.
Because we as "intellegent" human beings, have to be able to reason and calculate and figure everything out. You simply cannot do that when it comes to God's ways...his thoughts are so much above our understanding. And I also think it is because we have been geared to have faith and believe in things that we can "see" and are tangible. Even when we see things that God has miraculously done or provided...so many people want to pass them off as coinsidence...or a result of a "man". It is very complex this thing of belief!

#131989 September 5th, 2005 at 02:23 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
And yet people are so quick to say "How could God do this to me" when something bad happens and not give thanks when something good happens.

#131990 September 5th, 2005 at 05:21 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
1 Thessalonians 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober,putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

We have this all to look forward to working in faith. With faith my wife trusted him to not let her suffer with pain and blindness. With faith he has kept me going since he took her. With out faith he loved and would carry me I would not have been able to go on. I would have ended it all 3 years ago if I had not had faith in God and Jesus christ.

Jimmy

#131991 September 5th, 2005 at 06:13 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
The hopelessness of those who do not have faith has got to be such a burden. The strength your wife had, Jimmy, to KNOW that He would not let her suffer. To be able to pray and to know that He will answer your prayers is such a comfort.

Philippians 4:4-6 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

#131992 September 5th, 2005 at 07:11 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
And that is where the "FAITH" comes in!!!

#131993 September 5th, 2005 at 07:47 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
That is so true. To know that He is listening and responding.

That is a good one for both of us isn't it Vanessa, with our boys. To know there is a reason for it all and if we just continue to pray that all will work out. We MUST have faith in this even in what we see as the darkest times.

#131994 September 5th, 2005 at 09:33 AM
wow this is a wonderful thread. I have believed in God all of my life. I don't think I've ever doubted Him. my preacher was preaching the other day and brought up a very true thing that I'd like to share. He said that people who aren't really christians or people who don't usually pray, only pray when they need something. I find this to be very true. he also said something else that is true. he said that the other day on the news like on CNN or something when the reporters were reporting on Katrina, the mayor of mississippi or something said a prayer on television for the victims. I don't see anything wrong with that but my preacher made a very good statement. he said...."I thought that praying wasn't aloud in public anymore? I thought that you weren't supposed to put it on tv or anything?" that's a very good point right there.

#131995 September 5th, 2005 at 10:00 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
. To know there is a reason for it
Triss...because of my faith, I question very little anymore. That was a hard one for me when Dayne died at the young age of 19...I wanted ANSWERS...I wanted to know WHY and I wanted to know NOW!!! Well...that was a long journey for my faith to grow to the point that I don't question anymore...I just have faith that God knows what he is doing and all will work out for HIS purpose.....if I did not believe that, I would be tormented right now questioning why I ended up with this baby, why I cannot get him to the help he needs, why, why, why....the list would be never ending.

#131996 September 6th, 2005 at 12:50 AM
i know that i am in the minority, and that i have become more of an observer on this site thatn a participant, but i felt that i wanted to write in this thread. you ask what faith is and it is the knowledge that even though we seem to be scrounging around in the dark we KNOW with every fiber of our being that we are not alone and that we are here for a reason and we that we must fulfill our purpose. we must serve G-d, do as He asks of us and pass this faith/knowledge onto our children and their children's children forever. this past summer has been very difficult one for the religious Jews in israel. the government gave away land that, as religious Jews, we believe belongs to us given by G-d. it is a true test of faith to see something like this happen. it probably went by unnoticed in the "outside" world but over here it was a hearbreaking experience to see people who had complete faith that they were doing G-d's work in G-d's land being carried out of theeir homes against their will because the government decided to give their land and homes to palestinians - some of whom have killed or injured these same families that were taken away. i am sorry that htis may sem political. it is not. what i am trying to say that it was a great test of faith. the people wer taken out, and they still have complete faith in G-d. instead of being angry, these people have taken it upon themselves to build up new religious communities or move into cities and become a religious influence.
with faith you can never give up hope.

#131997 September 6th, 2005 at 01:09 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Hinda... I wanted to start this topic in hopes to bring people together. I am glad you posted here. And I wanted to let you know that what happened in what we know as the Gaza strip was not unseen by us here in America. We sat and watched on the news and felt so much heartbreak for the families who were carried out of their homes. One of the things I noticed many times was that as people were being carried away it was with calm, tears and some anger yes, but the calmness is what struck me.

Vanessa, I like you questioned a lot when I lost my brother and sis in law at their very young age. I wanted the answers as well. And when I found out abotu Zack I was also very hurt and angry, but have since been able to put it all in God's hands, knowing that He knows better than I and HE gave me Zack for a very good reason, as He did all of my beautiful children.

#131998 September 6th, 2005 at 01:58 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
what i am trying to say that it was a great test of faith
Hinda...that is a HUGE test of faith...and like Triss, you must know that it did not go unoticed here. Watching the scriptures be fulfilled is sometimes the hardest of the journey because we know it will not be easy.....but...at least WE KNOW..the rest of the story!

#131999 September 6th, 2005 at 02:24 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Where is that in the scriptures Vanessa? As you know I am elarning my way through the Bible and would like to read about that specifically. Thanks!

#132000 September 6th, 2005 at 05:42 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Triss...I was kind of generalizing there...because there are signs of the end times all around us. In Revelations 4~6...it very specifically talks about the national powers that we see hell bent for destruction - amassing weapons, killing and being killed...these are not the "ultimate" power. Nor or the individual figures that rule in our lives the ultimate powers. In general..mothers, fathers, pastors, teachers, politicians, soldiers...etc...they will all one day stand powerless before God. So, even though the government may have given the Palestinians land that is rightfully the Religious Jews....they WILL stand before God and answer for their actions. You can read all through Deuteronomy, Psalms, Ecclesiasstes, Jeremhiah & Acts about what God has to say about judgement. (I can give you exact scripture references if you would like) We may have to live under the law that is set before us...but no matter what...ultimately, in the end...Gods judgement WILL prevail, and that is where our "faith" comes in to play. I have no idea if I am explaining my thoughts correctly or not...
The Old Testement completely confirms the New Testement.....

#132001 September 6th, 2005 at 06:21 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes it makes sense to me. I personally would love the scriptures.

#132002 September 6th, 2005 at 07:29 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
K....get your reading glasses on!

Dueteronomy 32:36, Psalm 1:5; 9~8
Ecclesiastes 12:14; Jeremiah 25:31;
Acts 17:31; Romans 2:16; 1 Corinthians 6:2

Triss, these are scriptures in reference to judgement...

If you want assurance of our protection..

2 Chronicle 12:1~2; Psalm 17:8; 18:2~2
Proverbs 2:8; 2 Thessalonians 3:3

Happy Reading grinnnn I love doing studies...I wish I were much more knowlegable. It seems as though I learn something brand new everytime I open the Bible!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard