This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#128702 September 9th, 2005 at 08:17 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm not sure there is enough season left for a part two but I'm not willing to give it up yet lol. So I'm going to start a part two and if it goes great...and if it doesn't that's ok too. According to my research I still have a number of chores pending so I'll just see what happens. I guess that's part of the fun of being a newbie.

#128703 September 9th, 2005 at 08:53 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
The mechanic next door had to tell me that my garden was so sickly that there wasn't even anything worth stealing. But other than his idea of humor it was a good morning. Why do people have to be like that? Don't they think I can see that mine isn't as pretty as everyone elses?
What did you say to him when he said that???
That was really rude! mad
My gardens are full of weeds right now because I haven't been able to pull them much this summer because of my surgery, but my neighbors aren't coming over here telling me my gardens aren't pretty. What a jerk...even if he was just trying to be funny.

Cindy

#128704 September 10th, 2005 at 12:30 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
As you might guess I was so suprised that I didn't say a thing. And then I finished up what I was doing and came inside and cried. Then I posted and cried some more. Then I took a nap. I guess that's why he normally avoids talking to women even when they bring their cars in to be repaired. I guess no one ever taught him how to be nice. He just said what he thought I guess.

#128705 September 10th, 2005 at 01:40 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I guess that's why he normally avoids talking to women even when they bring their cars in to be repaired.
You know, hooper...if he doesn't normally talk to women maybe he just doesn't know what to say...and he was trying to start a conversation, but just didn't know how to go about it...then stuck his big ole foot in his mouth. If he isn't normally a jerk, then that could be what he was trying (in a weird way) to do... Duh

And, if he IS normally a jerk, then he succeeded in what he wanted to do...hurt someone's feelings.
In which case, I say :p on him.

Cindy

#128706 September 10th, 2005 at 03:39 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well it's always best to put that kind of thing behind me and go on with something positive. So I'm building a map of where all the seeds and plants are. That always makes me happy. Hopefully next year the garden will be so beautiful everyone will be saying nice things.

#128707 September 10th, 2005 at 03:49 AM
What a jerk. Can I psychoanalyze for a minute? Even if i can't spell it. The guy is a miserable ... that's jealous of your spirit and drive with your garden. That, or he really likes you! Poop on him. Think about what that weed patch looked like before you started it? Geez louise...

So, what I'm wondering is if a bird of paradise is an indoor or outdoor plant? Did ya know it can get up to 25' tall? wink Gosh what a great buncha goodies you sent me - you're da BOMB! kissies

#128708 September 10th, 2005 at 04:08 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
The white one I sent is indoors. The orange one is outdoors in warmer weather. The white one makes really great leaves until it finally blooms many years down the road lol. It likes shade so you don't have to stick it in a window.

#128709 September 10th, 2005 at 04:17 AM
Very cool! I love the seeds - even they're pretty! I can't wait to get em started. Now that I have some pothos suddenly I think I'm the houseplant queen laugh More like wannabe! wink

#128710 September 10th, 2005 at 04:35 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
When did you get pathos? I must have missed that post. Goooooooo girl. The seeds are cool aren't they with that little orange furry hood. They require scarification did I mention that in the note I forget things soooooooo often.

#128711 September 10th, 2005 at 04:59 AM
Hmm wasn't long ago - posted a pic to be sure I was calling it the right name laugh

I got 2 of them in walmart - they were $5 each and I used my 'no-more-smoking' money to buy them smile I thought I'd treat myself! That, and I took a cutting home from Helen's moms in OKC that I tried to root - but I think I shouldve left it in water longer - I potted it up and it's just sitting there...no growth, and getting kinda floppy like.

Hmm think you forgot the note for those seeds - geesh all those notes you saved me SO Much time! I did a quick search and saw they need stratification - one place said they could take up to 18 months shk to germinate so don't give up on em if they do take a long time

#128712 September 10th, 2005 at 08:10 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm glad you have some pathos and now you have the white bird of paradise so you won't have really bad garden withdrawals if the weather gets bad and you have to spend sometime indoors. Isn't it cool having that not smoking money? Hopefully I'll be able to get some potting soil so I have some for my winter indoors planting extravaganza I have planned for January through April of this year lol.

Today the chores were just watering the seeds and harvesting the portulaca. I need to post about them down in pests and problems. Hope I don't forget. I do that so often.

#128713 September 10th, 2005 at 09:24 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
More things done in the garden. I got half of the bulb bed dug up and the clay mixed in with the compost to a depth of 3 inches. Another 5 inches and I am in good shape. I wonder if I can manage it in the 2 weeks that is the minimum shipping time for the allium. Of course since I wanted to play in the garden the sun came out and it got way to hot. But maybe later I can get some more done. There isn't much I like to watch on tv on Saturdays.

#128714 September 11th, 2005 at 07:47 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well today is the day. I turned the compost pile took out the finished and added some of my reserve grass clippings which is all to the good. Now I'm going to go after that front curb and get the grass and dirt that has accumulated around it out into the reserve compost material area lol.

Have I mentioned lately that I love gardening. So water goes down in the bucket to soften up the area and then it's shovel and tote lol. See you all in a bit when I come in for my next break and to get another cup of coffee.

#128715 September 11th, 2005 at 08:15 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Break time lol.

Well I toted the water down but most of it ran off. I guess I'm going to have to build a little makeshift dam to hold it inplace until it can soften the ground for me lol. But I did get the compost area all swept and cleaned off so there won't be any trouble with me having it. And I got half of the parkinglot swept up. So now I just have to get the leaves from the other side of the lot corralled and I'll have them for next weeks compost turning. Got to say I never expected composting to be so satisfing but it is. Well let me head back down for another turn at getting the garden chores done.

#128716 September 11th, 2005 at 08:55 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I think I'm done at least for the morning run. One hour and fifteen minutes and I'm soaked in sweat. I guess I'm going have have to start getting up earlier. But with luck I can get out there at about 5:00p.m. and do another hour. I just don't want to be caught short when the fall seeds and bulbs arrive and not be able to plant them because I can't get the beds prepared in time. I really want to have a nice garden even if it is small next year. Rather than just plunking a few starter plants in clay and hoping for the best. That didn't work all that well this year. I guess I've seen everyones beautiful beds and I'm feeling like the ugly duckling of the forum. Oh well just keep plugging along I guess.

#128717 September 12th, 2005 at 02:50 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well lets just see what the grease monkey says tomorrow when he sees my red miniature roses that I got at the grocery store today. I planted them as soon after I put the groceries away as I possible could. The are so pretty. I hope they survive.

#128718 September 12th, 2005 at 05:04 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I broke up the clay in two spots where I want to do beds this fall. But now I'm running into the problem of the plants I want being alkaline soil plants. So I guess I better do some more research. I know lime makes it acidic but what makes it alkaline? lol

#128719 September 12th, 2005 at 07:01 AM
T, I'm pretty sure that lime makes the soil more alkaline.

#128720 September 12th, 2005 at 08:47 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thanks Mary your right. That's one of those times when the information went into my brain and got turned around 180 degrees. I don't know how it does that but it can drive me crazy. Ok, not drive me crazy it's just a symptom of me being crazy.

But thankyou for catching that. I guess that should me that I'm ok. I hope anyway.

#128721 September 12th, 2005 at 10:43 AM
You're as okay as I am - not like THAT's any consolation laugh wink

#128722 September 12th, 2005 at 11:31 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
sulpher = acidic
lime = alkaline (at least 6 months to affect the soil.)

Maybe I need to get out there and do a general bone meal sprinkle. I think it has been a while since I did that. Maybe mid summer.

Well I think the sleeping pill is finally taking affect so I'm going to go lay down. Talk to you all tomorrow.

#128723 September 12th, 2005 at 10:22 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Okea Dokea, the First tier is watered including the new seedlings yahooooooooooooo. And half the parking lot is swept clean of leaves which are falling off of one of the poplars. Thank goodness for that. I haven't had any leaves in like the last 4 weeks and it was getting very bad lol. I was about to steal the leaf mulch from around the shade plants where I had put it when the poplar was shedding regularly and I had to many leaves lol. Feast or famine I guess lol.

Anyway I will probably get back out there this evening and try to turn so more of the bulb bed. I really want to have that area just about perfect for when the alliums get here. I'm excited about my plans for that bed. I can just see me out there with a magnifing glass ever day come March waiting to see the plants come up over the seasons. I think I have that bed fixed so it will provide interest from early spring right through frost so you can bet I can't wait to see the end result and I haven't even done the planting yet lol. oh well that's the way it goes.

#128724 September 13th, 2005 at 12:31 AM
I hate to even get out of the house it's so hot and the air here is horrible right now. I miss working on my flower beds.

#128725 September 13th, 2005 at 05:59 AM
I went ahead and planted the pansies in the flower box yellow and purple. They look so much better. Lets hope they last for a while. Fertalized everything and put in some plant fertalizer spikes for the winter.

My neighbor just came over here and asked me to please keep my dog quiet. My dog is on a leash in our yard barking at their dog who is not on a leash and is walking around in my back yard. mad I try and try to satisfy them as far as the dog goes, but I can't. They didnt like her (my dog) running around so I put her on a lead in the yard, meanwhile, their great dane is here all the time. They went on a cruise for 2 weeks and she didnt leave my yard at all. I felt so bad for her that I went and got her food and fed her. Something is going to have to give! They cant keep complaining about dogs if theirs is running around willy nilly. My dog is a little west highland terrier. She doesnt chew or dig flowers. Their great dane does both and well you can imagine what I clean up outta my yard from it. mad

I am going to stop ranting now!

#128726 September 13th, 2005 at 09:29 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Sounds like you have one of those interesting neighbors too.

The Streaker (re: weed patch) has decided that he wants some of my purple velvet passion plant and I have lots of it I can prune so I told him if he came up with the pot and the soil I'd give him some starts to root. And I must have at least 10 18" stems I can cut for him. Hopefully one of those would root.

As far as garden chores go today it's been watering and working on my composting. I am so looking forward to having a big load of compost soon. I just wish I were alittle bit farther along as far as the bentwood fence is concerned on tier 4 It will never hold the compost in place if I try to spread it up there. I may have to give in and buy 2 20 foot lengths of edging and the necessary stakes to hold them in place.

At least with a roommate I can afford to do that. When I was by myself that really wasn't possible. So it's all good one way or another.

I hope your pansy's last a good long time. How do you like using those fertilizer sticks? Do you have a problem with "hot spots".

Can you put up a fence or anything like that so their dog can't come into your yard? Not that the dog will be around for long their life spans are so short it is a shame.

#128727 September 14th, 2005 at 09:39 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thinking that I'm going to have to get some solid edging for the next tier I decided to use what I have as far as bentwood edging up there to reinforce the lower edging so that was the big chore today other than sweeping up the fallen leaves. I know it's crazy but I can't wait for sunday. That is going to be so cool. Then there is cutting up the tomato plants when they finally finish producing and mixing the clay and compost there for the other winter interest things I have coming. This is going to be really cool.

#128728 September 14th, 2005 at 08:07 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I watered everything, but it looks like rain so that may have been wasted effort lol. And then I got the compost mixed in with the clay in the bulb bed that made me a happy camper. I have what look like 16 wild garlic plants working good so it looks like I got all most 100% germination off of the seeds. That is really really cool. Of course they are alittle more spread out than I originally intended but that's ok. I need to get back out there before it rains and sweep up todays leaves but I am taking a break lol. I just have to have my forum breaks.

#128729 September 14th, 2005 at 11:15 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I finished up the leaves and got a happy little pile out of it. So that is a very good thing. Now of course I am going after the gravel that has migrated onto the concrete in the driveway. It needs to go back in the big hole that becomes a mud puddle when it does rain. So that I quit getting my feet wet when I empty my garbage on rainny days lol. Funny how I always find a way to be outside so I can enjoy my flowers. The yellow snapdragon is really starting to bloom. The red is looking alittle sickly. I haven't a clue what to do for it. It sits right beside the yellow so they get the same everything. Why one would do well and not the other I just don't know.

It didn't rain so watering the plants to day wasn't a waste which makes me feel like less of an idiot but we really need a good soaking rain to get the snapdragons going really well, and then give the seeds I just planted a real good start on sprouting. Tomorrow if I remember, I want to plant the second group of lettuce seeds. I sure hope this works. I've had the most awful time trying to get a crop of lettuce. And I really love lettuce.

#128730 September 14th, 2005 at 11:50 PM
I'm always afraid to plant in the fall. I'm afraid it'll bloom before it's suppose to and then I won't get blooms in the spring when I'm suppose.

Last year just before christmas we had 70-75 degree temps then in a couple days time had a white christmas. So anything that would have sprouted would have died. Some of my re seeder did just that too.

#128731 September 15th, 2005 at 02:27 AM
As far as a fence TK where I live it would end up costing a fortune to do as they regulate the size and area that has to be fenced. I just think good lord we are good neighbors. We keep our dog contained. Theirs runs all over and they complain. GET A GRIP. They are control freaks. Dog is here today as usual. She cant help it she is old. I understand that and she should be able to enjoy her last days of life. Her health is not well. But they need to have some understanding for others. I would love my dog to be able to play with my son too. But they complain.

Life is too short to sweat the small things. Just gets real fusterating at times. Even if my dog is running even my son knows to come home and get the scooper if she happens to mess any place other then out yard. I see him running across the back yard fingers holding nose and scooper in hand. LOL They don't even have the manners to clean up after theirs and they complain about my dog barking. She is barking at your dog not in your yard. DUHHHHHH They can fix the problem by keeping theirs in their yard. I don't blame lil Lilly, other dog in her yard playing with her boy, while she is on a leash. I'd do more then bark. I can just imagine what those barks say. lol

The pansies look great. I am glad I did it, but now I am back to watering the container plants every day! :p

I got bulbs to plant this weekend. They are going to be beautiful in the spring. I cannot wait!

#128732 September 15th, 2005 at 02:31 AM
Oh I had to add this one in regards to the same neighbors. Yesterday morning at 6:45 their little boy 3 years old came knocking on my door, in a diaper wanting to see if he could have something to eat, cuz he couldn't find his mommy. I walked over and couldn't find a soul. So I brought him home fixed him and Gwendolynn (my daughter) some toaster pasteries, and called 3 times before I got an answer. They were asleep and the alarms didn't go off. I had asked him if mommy was in bed and he said no. She had fallen asleep in the basement with her husband watching a movie.

How scary that would be for a little guy. They realy need to reconsider complaining about my dog! :rolleyes:

#128733 September 15th, 2005 at 03:37 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Wow people that self absorbed usually don't notice the problems they cause others.

The poor child will probably grow up just like them. Either that or the complete opposite.

I think I'll take a walk about the garden.

#128734 September 15th, 2005 at 11:39 AM
Poor baby -- and my inlaws give me a difficult time because I put our dog in her crate when I am mopping the floor. Crazy thing, if I leave her out, she goes behind me licking the floor. I guess Lysol tastes good or something, I just dont want her getting sick.

#128735 September 15th, 2005 at 05:17 PM
Meg Offline
Goodness Karrie.. I know it sounds mean, but I'd call animal control if I had a dog that was constantly in my yard that wasn't mine. We have leash laws here. And ya know what? The animal control guy, is my neighbor across the street..lol. And while it may sound mean, that poor dog sounds like it's neglected, and that's even worse.

I haven't done much in the yard as of late. Other than harvest tomatoes that are ripening. I have a LOT of green tomatoes now. Well, the tiny tim ones anyway. A few romas.. I can't wait till they ripen! And I have blossoms on the brandywine.. so hopefully, I will get to see tomatoes out of those.

Yesterday, I cut up a jalapeno pepper for the kiddo that we'll just call Jaws. Well, ends up both of us forgot to wash hands afterwards, and both ended up with stinging eyes, really really bad. Eye wash didn't really help. I wasn't sure what to use to get rid of pepper burning in the eyes.. but after awhile, holding the towel there, it got better. At least 15-20 minutes of pain in the eyes. UGH.

#128736 September 15th, 2005 at 09:28 PM
I think just flushing the eyes with running water for a few min. should help, that is if you can keep them open long enough while in pain - OUCH!!!

#128737 September 15th, 2005 at 11:11 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey Meg, sorry about the eyes. That was a real painful experience I'm sure. I never thought about having to do that. I guess you can tell I don't eat hot peppers. What are you planning to do with all your green tomatoes?

My tomato plants have pretty much dried up and although they are still trying to produce fruit I think they are done. I'll definitely have to put them somewhere it is easier to water them if I do them next year. Maybe I'll use some of my freebie pots and put them over on the side of the weed patch I'm not allowed to garden lol. I am so bad.

Today I moved a Hollyhock seedling from the front container around to the back bed where I have more of them planted. It was getting overgrown by the watercress. Those things really do take off. The got pretty crispy during the 90+ weather but once it started to look like it would cool down they came right back.

The spider mites in the front container also seem to have taken a holiday. I'm thinking that with out the marigolds being so overcrowded that the plant was able to fight them to a standstill at least. I'd prefer they are gone for good but I have my doubts. Marigolds are suppose to be pretty good at fending for themselves so I'm hoping that's what they did.

The seeds that I ordered from 2bseeds have arrived and this evening I'm probably going to try and get the dusty millers in the front of the bulb bed where I have that one lone specimen lol. He's been lonely long enough. I'll only do a few seeds so that if they don't come up in the spring I'll have some more so I can try again. And I think one of my friends wants some so I'll try to save some for her too. I don't know how many came in the package so I'm not sure if I'll have enough.

Then I need to look up when the coral bells need to be planted. I'm thinking it's fall but I am usually wrong about information I try to memorize so I'll check that before I get out there with the shovel lol. If it is fall I'll probably try to do it sunday after I pull the finished compost out of the bin. Although I maybe asking to much of this old body since I'll have to mix it in with the clay first before I can plant. But it'll be a good day no matter how it turns out.

#128738 September 17th, 2005 at 01:55 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yep I was wrong the coral bells like the standard indoor 6 to 8 weeks before last frost ... so there is another one for the east facing window this winter lol. I don't know exactly how I'm going to manage all this come spring but I'm going to try lol.

I did get out there and water everything which was good. And I also noticed that the celosia that I was thinking would lie dormant until late spring and then come up have decided that they like the weather just fine and have decided to try and come up now. That was not the plan lol.

But it does explain why they weren't sprouting for me. I was planting them when it was too cold soil temperature wise. So now I know to wait awhile before direct sowing them. Atleast they don't need to be done indoors. but I do want some early spring color so I plan to have a house full of impatiens and mini snapdragons. They can bloom as early as Febuary and last much longer than the early blooming bulbs so that is what I am shooting for.

Boy this post got long lol.

#128739 September 17th, 2005 at 09:29 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
So just about everything I planted with an eye to sprouting in spring has sprouted now except the bells of ireland. And the one thing I wanted to sprout now for next year isn't even showing it's pearly whites. That the the Hollyhocks that I planted in the back. But I do still have the ones from the front container. The sprouted very well so that will work out alright.

I was thinking today, wondering really, how much I would have spent in potting soil if I hadn't been able to compost. That second tier is requiring 5 inches deep 18 inches across and 31 feet long of compost to make a bed that will be good for my plants. That must be one heck of a lot of compost vs potting soil. I wonder how much money I saved by doing it this way. over 20 cubic feet I think. Is that right? I wonder how many of those 16 qt bags of miracle gro that would have been?

#128740 September 18th, 2005 at 12:44 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well today I cleaned up a space for the "found" potting table and spent some more time sweeping the gravel towards the mudhole and then adding somemore height between the mudhole location and my little garden prep area. It's really comming along well. I'm so please with it. And it's really silly but that's the way it goes. Tomorrow is compost turning day and I can hardly wait. I won't tell you about all the plans I have for tomorrow because then I wouldn't have anything to post tomorrow but I am really looking forward to it.

#128741 September 18th, 2005 at 04:34 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well the rains came. All 30 seconds or so of it. So I just had to go see how my earth dam was holding up against the mudpuddle. And the dam seems to be doing fine. But one good rain and the mudpuddle is still going to make a lake that I can't get across to empty the garbage. so I'm thinking of doing a ditch that it can drain into and building up the center part so that I can get to the dumpster lol.

And I couldn't resist so I turned the reserve pile and was very disappointed it isn't composting at all really. But then I went to scrape some litter from between the retaining wall and a junk car and guess what. The leaves were just wet enough that they came out in a big pile so I added that to the compost pile for adding to the bin when I take out the finished stuff tomorrow. Boy howdy won't I be disappointed if it isn't finished lol.

#128742 September 18th, 2005 at 08:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Did the compost turn first thing this morning even before I had my coffee. Now that is absession lol. But I've my coffee and my forum break now and when the first cup of coffee is done I can take the broom and bucket down and clean up the potting and parkinglot areas. My goal is to have a big pile of leaves ready for Thursday so I have an excuse to turn the bin again lol.

And of course the parkinglot and back lot look much nicer when I keep after the leaves.

#128743 September 18th, 2005 at 08:27 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
hooper...you and Nana wear me out working so much.
You outside and Nana with the kid chores and cooking.
Good excuse for me to be so tired all the time! laugh

Cindy

#128744 September 18th, 2005 at 09:18 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
lol. If you think this is working all the time you should have seen me before I became disabled. I was doing something all day long. Couldn't stand to be idle. I've had a nice long break so now it's out the sweep up lol.

#128745 September 18th, 2005 at 09:25 PM
What kinda coral bells did you get Hooper? I still need to look and see if I can find some caramel coral bells, the orange ones. Ya din happen to find any of those did you? thumbup

#128746 September 18th, 2005 at 10:25 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
no I didn't and I looked for them too. I was able to find the americana and the ruby bells but that was it. I'm not really sure about the color on the americana it wasn't specified on my package. But I have heard that they are suppose to be more hardy than the original types so I thought I'd better get some lol.

Here is a list of what I have for my garden for 2006:

1. Allium 'Sparklers' mixed colors (full sun)
2. Alpine Sea Holly
3. B I can't read the rest of the tag so this one is going to be a big suprise lol.
4. Babies Breath (full sun)
5. Bell peppers mixed colors
6. Bells of Ireland
7. Calendula
8. Cannas (full sun)
9. Carnations (full sun)
10. Celosia
11. Cleome, Spider flower
12. Cockscomb, Blood Red
13. Cockscomb, Pink
14. Cockscomb, Plum
15. Columbine (partial shade)
16. Crepe Myrtle, Dwarf (In a pot outside)
17. Dianthus 'evening loveliness'
18. Dusty Miller
19. Evergreen, Dwarf (groundcover likes shade non invasive.
20. Gladiolus (full sun)
21. Green onions
22. Helleborus x nigers ?Christmas rose?
23. Heuchera americana (Coral Bells or Alum-Root)**
24. Heuchera ?Ruby Bells? ** (Coral Bells or Alum-Root)
25. Hibiscus, Hardy Pink
26. Hollyhocks (full sun)
27. Hosta one is sum and substance. the other two I haven't identified yet.
28. Impatiens, rose Parade Red (partial shade, shade)
29. Ipomposis
30. Lettuce, Butterhead
31. Lobelia 'Cardinal flower'
32. Lobelia 'Chrystal Palace'
33. Lunaria (money plant) needs moisture
34. Malva Zebrina**
35. Marigolds Maroon (full sun)
36. Peonies (full sun, partial shade)
37. Portulaca (full sun)
38. Rain lilies
39. rose, Miniature
40. Royal Poinciana
41. Tomatoes, cherry
42. Tomatoes, roma
43. Salvia 'Blue Queen'**
44. Salvia Mixed colors
45. Salvia Purple
46. Snapdragons, Mixed colors Miniature * (full sun, partial shade)
47. Snapdragons, Yellow, Miniature
48. Snapdragons, Red, Miniature
49. Statice 'Art Form'
50. Statice ' Sermon'
51. Straw flowers
52. Zinnia (full sun)
53. Basil
54. Chives
55. Coriander
56. Dill
57. Garlic, Wild
58. Oregano
59. Par-cel
60. Parsley, Curled
61. Sage
62. Thyme

Isn't that cool? I'm going to be working my tail off lol. Thank heavens I have approximately 3 more months of composting I can pretty much depend on. Right now I'm taking a break before I get out there and plant some dusty millers in the front of the bulb bed. I think the color contrast between the green leaves on the glads and the green stocks on the allium and the silver foliage on the dusty millers is going to be really pretty even before the flowers bloom and that is part of the goal I'm working towards. I'll also have the early blooms on the miniature snapdragons in there for before the leaves and stems get going on the allium and glads.

I'm pretty excited about that bed because it will be the first design effort I've made. Hope it works out.

#128747 September 18th, 2005 at 11:16 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo I've done three trips out to the garden and it is barely noon. And I don't need a nap yet. I think I'm doing very good today. This trip out the dusty miller got planted which was way cool. I had to dislodge some of the volunteer green onions from there home but I have plenty so I'm not worried about losing them. I hope the dusty miller take that is going to be soo cool. I also gave the shade bed a good mix while I was out there. It still needs work before I can plant the lobelia. I'm hoping to be able to do the cardinal flower in the back and the chrystal palace in the front of the bed along with interpercing the chrystal palace with the peonies and hosta. As usually the original planting I did was way sparse. Anyway I'm excited can you tell?

#128748 September 19th, 2005 at 04:58 PM
Wow -- and I thought I was doing good just clearing out nandina roots yesterday. I worked a few more hours on them and almost got one section cleared out. I only have 3 more areas to go, just waiting for the sun to pop up so I can go out there and get started, house aleady cleaned, dishes done (by hand, of course), sneakers on. Im packin' my shovel and hand trowel (sp?), water bottle, and towel to sit on because I will be there a while. I am determined to invade atleast one mound today.

#128749 September 19th, 2005 at 08:14 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
You did very good going after invasive roots. I can't kill those silly mimosa trees no matter what I try. But I just keep trudging. Today I think I'm going to see if I can get some of the chrystal palace planted at the front of the shade bed. It can't hurt to try right? lol.

Needless to say I woke up this morning and moving was very hard. My ankles did a good imitation of walking on crushed glass until I got going good. But I've learn and on days like this I take the cane with me. That way if I stumble I have something to help me regain my balance. I just don't bounce like I used to.

#128750 September 19th, 2005 at 08:35 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo, I got the chrystal palace planted boy are those seeds small. Much smaller than the portulaca. I just had to tip the bag up and shake it and hope for the best. I may have to look for some starter plants of that next spring at the local nursery. If this seeding doesn't work.

#128751 September 20th, 2005 at 11:44 AM
Well I attempted today to clear the rest of the mound of nandinas and boy my hands are tired. I had a difficult time opening a jar of peanut butter. My arms from wrist to elbows are tight. I am going to try again tomorrow -- didnt get too much pulled out today -- those things sure are stubborn.

Malinda

#128752 September 20th, 2005 at 09:00 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Dare I suggest what I did with some old ivy that I wanted to remove? Took a chain saw to the roots. Bought two replacement chains for it and a sharpening for those long winter nights when there was nothing on tv lol.

Had to cut the roots into sections and then pull out the sections. Took weeks even doing it that way. But I got my rose bed. Of course before the roses every sprouted we had to move.

Well if I can just talk my ankles into supporting me there are a load of leaves out on the parking lot to be swept up. I can't wait to get a move on those.

#128753 September 21st, 2005 at 02:57 AM
LOL TK -- I have thought about attaching something to the riding mower and pulling, but I dont know what to use. My darling husband keeps taking my truck since I mentioned I was going to attach a rope or something to the bumper and yank those things out of there. The main problem I have is they are located around our gas and water lines area. I cant use an axe because of that so I have to tread slowly. I plan on raising that area once those nasty things are gone.

#128754 September 21st, 2005 at 03:27 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Don't want to attach a chain to it then for the same reason. The roots may knock into the line at some point and tearing one out might damage the other. What about calling in professionals? You know like the people that remove stumps. Cause there is stuff that will burn the roots right in place. Then you would be good to go.

#128755 September 21st, 2005 at 09:07 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Dare I mention sweeping up leaves for the compost bin? Yep that's what I was doing. Didn't stay out very long at all. Still tired from the Sunday extravaganza lol. Oh well, I guess it's slow and steady or all at once and then a long break lol. I think I like slow and steady better.

#128756 September 21st, 2005 at 12:03 PM
You're rockin' . . . and here I am feeling so proud of myself just getting that south lot nicely tidied up for the last time.

I still have plenty of stuff to do. By the time I've done it, the leaves will be falling and the landlords will be down here to do the annual rake-up - we worked with them last time and it went well.

#128757 September 21st, 2005 at 09:53 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'd never be able to do one big rake up so I just keep at it a little bit each day. Usually I split it into two trips down to the lot. I get one side one time and one side the other. Today it was watering the fall seeds. Fortunately it looks like there wasn't enough wind to have brought down a bunch of leaves so I guess I'll do that tomorrow. Along with a midweek compost turning just to check stuff out some. Or depending on the temperature I might even do that this evening. There isn't anything on the tv on Wednesdays.

#128758 September 22nd, 2005 at 03:19 AM
Today I got the remainder of the tulips planted, I just decided to put them on the sides of the front porch. I don't know what to I am about out of areas to plant things. My bed are full. And with the way the lot is situated there aren't alot of other areas. I think I may just start putting in little beds here and there. I cleaned up the yard. I forgot to take down the old dog cage. Drat!!!!!!! I also got the garden cart cleaned out. I have a ton of pots and six packs in the storage shed for my green house this year. I cannot wait!

#128759 September 22nd, 2005 at 05:19 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I guess that's one of the advantages of annuals lol. There is always the fussing with plantings, dead heading, harvesting seeds, composting the remains and then starting the cycle all over again lol.

#128760 September 24th, 2005 at 05:02 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo!!! I got the potting table painted and dried before we had a little rain. Of course I watered right before it rained too. But better that than dry seeds.

#128761 September 27th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
turned the compost today. And I actually got all the reserve grass clippings into the bin along with all the new grass clippings that my landlord brought me. The bin is very full at the moment. But if it shrinks the way I expect it to that won't be a problem for long. But smell may be a bit of a problem for a day or two. But once I can get some leaves in the bin I'll be in good shape.

Tomorrow I need to get out there and spread the finished compost in the shade bed so I can get the christmas roses planted while the temps are still high. Then it'll just be a matter of keeping it moist while it's getting situated.

Well hope everyone is getting their gardens ready for fall and then winter.

#128762 September 27th, 2005 at 09:07 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well today I spent the day trying to find enough dirt to transplant the varigated aloe and the Anacampseros Telephiastrum Variegata. (talk about a mouth full for a very small plant lol.) Next year they are both going outside for the summer and I have no idea what I will do with them when they need to come back inside. But by then I'm thinking the varigated aloe will be large enough to give me a bloom which will be way cool and I might even get one off of the other plant which is a succulent type ground cover. I call it my catepillar plant because it will raise up when it gets unhappy. Right now it was doing that because the pot was to small and it didn't have anywhere to crawl to. If I don't take care of it at that point it begins dropping leaves. Not to say that my plants are bossy or anything but lol.

After that I needed to update my seed & plant catalog. I now have 71 different types of plants accounted for lol. Compared to many of our members that isn't much but for me it is huge. I just hope I can find a patch of ground for all of them and that I don't loose to many.

Well better move on to the next topic lol.

#128763 September 28th, 2005 at 06:00 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I did a lot of cleaning in my gardens today...and pulled up 2 wild garlic bulbs while weeding.
(Quite a few cloves on each one.)

Do you want me to send them to you, Hooper...when I send the red zinnia seeds?
The zinnia seeds will be ready in a week or so.

Cindy

#128764 September 28th, 2005 at 09:06 AM
Well my grass seed is growing very well for less then a week out there its all about an inch tall and you can hardly see the brown area! This rain has been a real blessing! Today did some cleaning and weeding of the front bed. That extra layer of mulch sure helps the weeds come out alot easier, I didn't have to dig at the roots today. The weeds are getting fewer and fewer I think I I?just keep at it next year it should be nearly maintence free other then the occasional weed like the other 3 beds.

We decided to put up 5 trellises next year. We will put these in the back where I cannot have a true bed due to the gas lines running near that area. We are going to use lattice and make 6ft tall and probably 2ft wide trellises and plant morning glories of different varieties on them. This will give me flowers in the area that don't require much ground work. And it gives my son a whole area of his favorite flowers of all time. My husband got me some Japanese varieties straight from Japan. I am rather excited. His vice president brought them back to him from his grandmothers garden. When I asked him to ask I didn't think he would. I am so gald he did. here is our plan -- --
the the second row / \ o / \

Ok due to my anal need for patterns I guess we will have to build 6 of them lol. Hubby will understand. I think this will be a nice area. I will put in a bird bath in where the o is. and a humming bird feeder. My son will love this are. I guess I could do a few annuals around the base of the bird bath. Just some seeds that have to be scratched in to the ground.

#128765 September 28th, 2005 at 09:50 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Cindy you know me so well lol. I'd love some.

Karrie that sounds fantastic.

#128766 September 28th, 2005 at 08:22 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I've been up and out to the garden. I've watered all my sprouts lol. And I was given a small yellow mum by the streaker so I planted that in the front of this years tomato bed. It's nice to have a bit of fall color going on down there. I can't say the snaps are doing much so far. I hope they get motivated here in the not to distant future I really need their color. The portulaca are just not interested in doing much at all lol. The miniature rose has actually produced a new bud which is so cool. Wouldn't it be great if it decided it liked it in the garden.

I was going to say something else but it's slipped my mind so hopefully I'll remember what it is and stick it in a post somewhere around here lol.

Have a good day all.

#128767 September 29th, 2005 at 11:13 AM
Well after Rita left us, I had to survey my plants -- they all did good. But what was a wonderful surprise was my roses had 4 beautiful flowers on them. I have one area cleared out and ready to work my soil so I can get it ready for planting. I am getting muscles from pulling on roots -- I saw them move when I was brushing my hair -- looking good grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn

#128768 September 29th, 2005 at 11:30 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm so glad your plants survived that's great. And your getting muscles woohoo. I had to put another hole in my belt so that's along the same lines I guess. But my waist size changes so much between morning and afternoon I've stopped thinking that it means much lol.

Today I spread very finely chopped up grass clippings all over everything. And I made a makeshift sifter for my compost. So tomorrow is going to be the mid week turn of the compost and we will see if I get any black gold out of the bin. If I do maybe I'll plant those christmas roses along the back of the shady part of the garden. It is next on my list to do since it wants two weeks of 70 degree temperatures before cooler temps set in. I so hope I can keep it moist enough for the seeds to germinate.

#128769 September 29th, 2005 at 10:28 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I didn't get enough finished compost when I turned it to help with the shady flower bed spot. I guess I can dig my little heart out and plant with what I have. Maybe I'll get lucky lol. Anything is possible. It will be tomorrow though because I'm hoping it rains today. I really don't want to add carrying water to the strain I've already put on my elbow.

Well cross my fingers and hope I guess. You all have a really good day.

#128770 September 30th, 2005 at 08:52 PM
Well, some of those botanical names are a mouthful, but there is a reason - and I guess I'm preaching to the choir here, but in case any of you don't know it, the reason is that the botanical names are the same in every country.

Butter n' Eggs would be different words in French, Italian, etc. But the botanical name would be the same.

Solidago is solidago everywhere.

Kind of a neat trick botanists have of keeping things straight.

#128771 September 30th, 2005 at 10:06 PM
TK -- How did you make a makeshift sifter? I am new to this stuff and am curious.

#128772 October 1st, 2005 at 01:25 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That's really good information Carly thank you.

Hey 160, I was lucky enough to find an old window screen in the dumpster so I rescued it and punch a bunch of holes in i with my small phillips head screwdriver and then just put it on top of a bucket and began scraping the compost back and forth across it. What I'm seperating is all the fine stuff and I really need for the holes to be bigger but until this screen rots out which probably won't be long it will be ok. Then once the screen starts to go I'll take the sheet metal cutters to it and replace it with a wider screen and lace that on to the frame with some wire I have "hang"ing ((i.e. old wire hangers) I just couldn't resist the pun. I'm like that some times.) around and I'll be good to go.

#128773 October 1st, 2005 at 09:28 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I watered everything. It seems like the only things that appreciates my effort at this time is the wild garlic that probably would be doing fine without me giving it water lol. Well the celosia is doing well too. I guess I'm just feeling a little depressed today because my elbow still hurts.

It's got to heal sooner or later I hope.

#128774 October 1st, 2005 at 11:45 AM
Wow -- I am going to try that -- we moved into an ol' house and there were screen doors and window screens that were messed up -- got screens laying around thats for sure. Thanks for the info and creativeness thumbup thumbup thumbup

#128775 October 2nd, 2005 at 04:56 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Glad you can use the idea. I'll be busy using it next the Sunday after this. This Sunday my elbow is getting a rest. Silly me I went on a mall crawl today. And I'm in no shape for that much exercise. The Mall is huge.

#128776 October 2nd, 2005 at 09:17 AM
well... I finally got my husband to help me dig out the area in my driveway garden so I could plant my new ornamental grasses. They've been sitting in my driveway for 2 weeks now. The huge "town planted" maple tree that is next to this garden keeps growing SOLID MASSES of roots into this garden that lines the driveway. It took him 1/2 hour to get them and some pretty massive rocks out, and he hurt his back. ters

I did manage to get the grasses in before the sun disappeared and it got cool out again. Here's what they look like, though the 2 Adagio will eventually reach 4 ft. even though they are labeled "dwarf". The birdbath in the background has a fairy reading a book on it.

[Linked Image]

#128777 October 2nd, 2005 at 09:46 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm sorry your hubby got hurt preparing the flower bed. What you did with it looks absolutely great though.

I know what you mean about the ornamental grasses. That's one of the problems I have with them. I love the look of them when they are small but I don't want to deal with them when they get big. My garden isn't that big to start with and I think I want a few of a bunch of different things but there still isn't room for big plants. Although that is one way to get a complete shade garden lol.

What's blooming in the far back of the picture? My eyesight is letting me down as usual. I definitely need to add some fall blooming plant. The snapdragons aren't comming back as well as I had hoped they would. I think tomorrow they will get some miracle-gro and see if that helps them get into the blooming spirit lol. I can't have the one mum be the only flower out there giving a fall show lol.

#128778 October 2nd, 2005 at 08:41 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well so far the upper tier has gotten watered. There is bunches and bunches more to do I'm just taking it slow. I don't want my elbow to kick up a fuss again. That's just getting down right tiresome. So I also watered the houseplants that needed it. And now I'm going to grab the fertilizer for the snapdragons and regular water for everthing else. Wish me luck.

#128779 October 2nd, 2005 at 09:30 PM
Good luck TK! kissies

The flowering plants in the background of my picture are an autumn joy sedum in the center cool (got it free in a plant swap last May thumbup ), and some pathetic white mums on either side - I had thrown them in there a few years ago, and have been too lazy to pull them out. Now that 1/2 of the maple tree is gone :rolleyes: - thanks to the electric company that came around and pruned it away from their wires - there is much more sun on this garden, so I'll have to re-think the plants in there for next spring. That is... if we can once again get through the thick masses of roots... :p

Do you grow asters, TK? They are really pretty, usually purple, autumn blooming plants. The woodchucks here like them too much, or I would have them everywhere!

Here's a link to what Bill has to say about them:
asters

#128780 October 2nd, 2005 at 09:42 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That's interesting I think I've seen some of the violet ones growing wild around here. They bloomed earlier though.

Right now I'm trying to convince my miniature snapdragons and columbine that it is fall and they can come out and play anytime now lol. The columbine have produced nice looking foliage again after almost totally disappearing.

The yellow snapdragon has started to do a few blooms but the red mini snap is being very pouty. It's planted right next to the yellow so I'm clueless as to what the problem could be.

If I remember correctly the sugar ants were bothering the heck out of the yellow one earlier in the year not the red one. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

#128781 October 2nd, 2005 at 09:53 PM
Ooooh TK - just remembered another autumn flower that is blooming for me right now -

montauk daisies

They can be hard to find, but I got mine at Home Depot last year.

#128782 October 2nd, 2005 at 10:03 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That's a great idea. I'll look out for them. I think of daisies as mid summer flowers so it would be like rolling back the clock to see them in the fall. I may have to wonder outside and see if I can find that violet colored one. Maybe do a transplant so it doesn't get mowed. It's in that part of the yard.

I need to get out there anyway for leaf gathering detail lol.

#128783 October 3rd, 2005 at 09:55 PM
Hey TK - just wanted to give you a heads up if you have a Home Depot nearby. I was at mine bright and early this morning (7:30 after driving Amy to school!) and they had tons of Montauk Daisies fresh off the truck. I picked up 2 for my mom for Rosh HaShana - they were 8 inch pots for $6.99 and very nice. They had a few smaller pots that looked already neglected and no price on them also...

By the way... just like with mums, when you cut the daisies back during the summer so they don't get too tall when they flower, you can take the cuttings and make new plants from them. All you need to do is put them in soil, in a somewhat shady place til they root. Then put them in full sun, and you'll have lots to share, or spread around.

#128784 October 4th, 2005 at 12:14 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That sounds like a great idea. That is so great to remember your mom that way. How did she enjoy them?

I've already been out messing about with the garden. I love-a-love-a-love it. My partial shade bed on the second tier is on a level with the rest of the sunny side of the tier so that's all good to go.

It took just about forever but now the soil is nice and soft and amended so I can put the christmas roses in as soon as I take out the tomatoes. I'm going to wait a few days I think before I do that. I want to make sure the tomato cuttings are doing well then I'll start the christmas roses. I kind of like to space things out so I have something to look forward to everyday lol. Of course I'm liable to run out of good weather before I run out of things to do, doing it this way and that's a concern. Fortunately it seems like most seeds will forget waiting a year for planting. Or I maybe able to do some indoor things. I can always try to figure something out.

My neighbor brought a broken chair out to the potting area so I would have a place to sit down and take a break. It's a nice idea but I'm alittle leary about how structurally sound it is. It's one of those plastic ones and I'm over 200 pounds soooooo I may not try that lol.

Well I need to water but I'm going to wait until the evening for that. Then I plan to give the whole area a good soaking or at least until my elbow gives out. It probably won't take long for that to happen.

#128785 October 4th, 2005 at 03:47 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
It's just my day to do things I guess. I just finished toting water out to the garden which is probably why I did what I did next lol.

I bought the small and medium water-keep polymer crystals for my pots and my flower beds where I want to try and grow my moisture loving plants. I forget which ones they are at the moment but I know I have a couple and hopefully this will help them survive if next summer is as dry as this one. And I'm assuming it will be. I think even the zinnia will be happier with some added to there bed. It was just to dry this summer and carrying water out with fast draining soil didn't get the job done. And mulching didn't provide enough protection during the 90+ days.

I hope this is a successful solution.

#128786 October 4th, 2005 at 11:33 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I guess I'm going to start a count down. I'd do one of those ticker thingys but I'm just not that technically brilliant. The tomato cuttings are suppose to take 9 days to root. So I cut them yesterday and put them in soil so today is the first whole day and so far they look alive and well. I was alittle worried yesterday because it looked like two of them were wilting but they seem to have come through the night all bright eyed and cheery so I have high hopes. Needless to say they got watered and misted first thing this morning when I went out. I just love these new experiences I'm sure someday rooting cuttings will be old hat but not yet lol. It's all like a miracle to me.

#128787 October 5th, 2005 at 03:43 AM
That looks great -- sorry about your dh hurting his back -- but looks like both of you did a great job thumbup

#128788 October 5th, 2005 at 10:43 AM
H
hoa Offline
H
tkhooper, don't cry because your mechanic does not know anything about gardening. I bet he does not like any kind of flowers. All my neighbours give me many compliments and asking me about my different flowers. But my son (26 years old) say it does not have a landscaping structure. I told him it's easier to criticise than to accomplish. He should know that I'm learning while doing it. My parents and some friends think that it looks like a forest but I think they are rather jealous with the time I put into it instead of going out with them. Anyway, I love my garden. My plants have grown a lot and I am trying to regroup them so they look more defined.

#128789 October 5th, 2005 at 11:19 AM
Well today I was working on my compost pile makin' lasagna -- my dh called wanted to know what I was doing so I told him I was making lasagna, he had to hang up. When he got home he asked where the lasagna was, I laughed and took him to the sunroom to look at my compost pile -- I apologized, since he came home thinking about it all afternoon, had his heart and tummy set on it but had hamberger helper instead laugh laugh

Malinda

#128790 October 5th, 2005 at 11:43 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Oh no Malinda that is so funny. But you know now you have to make his some and his favorite dessert as well. He must have been sooooooo disappointed.

Hey hoa, I'm still at the stage that if it comes up at all or doesn't die the moment I transplant it I'm in heaven. So yea when people are hurtful I try to ignore it. The garden makes up for a lot that doesn't quite go right in the world. Hope you continue to enjoy your garden and that it is more beautiful everyday.

#128791 October 5th, 2005 at 10:47 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Good morning,

Well I got out there and cleaned up the strip of weeds between here and the towing place next door. Somebody was using it as a garbage dump and it looked really bad. Now it just looks normal bad. I wasn't going to mess with the paint cans and propane cans that are underneath the bushes. I might be able to get down there but I doubt I could have gotten back up without help.

My second trip out to the garden was to rake an area clear of leaves and add them to the compost bin where it had compacted down some from Mondays turn and the put the rest in with the little pile of reserve grass clippings that I had going before the humungous pile arrived. I don't have enough leaves for that pile yet but give me time. I know my trees will give me everything I need if I am patient. If not the outside green will become brown as it dries out lol.

COUNTDOWN: Day 2 - Well they are still alive all four tomato cuttings. One is looking a little sad but I don't have enough experience to really tell how it is doing. They are nice and moist and the temp is probably down in the low 70's today. I can't be possitive I haven't a themometer but somewhere around their. I don't want to bring them in yet because I think I saw a white fly over by the east facing window where I had the spidermite infestation earlier this year.

Which reminds me I want to bleach that area again. I'm going to need it next week so I can bring the tomatoes in so I have to get a move on.

Well you all have a great day.

#128792 October 6th, 2005 at 12:42 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hello where's the ticker?

#128793 October 6th, 2005 at 01:11 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
hooper, ya know...I never could figure that "ticker thing" out! I was gonna put one on here just so I could remember what day it was. :rolleyes: laugh shocked

#128794 October 6th, 2005 at 02:17 AM
[Linked Image]

Here it is, Tammy! When I figure out what I did to get it to post, I will let you know. I think I just backspaced over the http:// before I pasted the address into image.

Dianna

#128795 October 6th, 2005 at 03:11 AM
Sorry Tammy - don't know what's wrong with this - it worked when I made it for you, but now I tried it on my profile and it doesn't work there either. But it looks just like the ticker addy of mine. Let me explore it a bit more...

#128796 October 6th, 2005 at 03:16 AM
I deleted this post since Bill helped Tammy fix the ticker. My post was too wide and was messing things up...

#128797 October 6th, 2005 at 03:23 AM
YEA - TAMMY - YOU GOT IT!!!

#128798 October 6th, 2005 at 03:55 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I think one of the hostesses fixed it. I don't even know where to find them. And I think I may be safer that way. I'm having one of my chicken days I guess. But it sure looks nice doesn't it? Thank you Lynne that was really sweet. So now I have to go check on the tomatoes. They had better come through this alright after everyones hard work.

Wish me luck.

#128799 October 6th, 2005 at 09:51 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I forgot to mention that while I was out cleaning up all the litter I saw two of those violet daisy type flowers that we were talking about yesterday I think. So hopefully I will remember tomorrow and get out there and see if I can transplant them before someone parks on top of them or destroys them in some other way. I'm putting them and the mums where the tomatoes were this year. Not that I've pulled up the tomatoes yet. They have started blooming again so I'll letting them do as they please. I pruned off the dead branches and leaves and left the healthy looking branches alone to grow as they see fit.

Also today I mulched the glads finally. They finally turned 75% brown and I figured that was close enough so I covered them with 3 inches of mulch. I think that was what I read earlier this year about them. Hope I didn't mess it up. It's suppose to rain on friday and I'm hoping that it comes tomorrow instead. If it doesn't there is no way I'll be able to hold off turning the compost pile again. I just love my compost. Hope you all are enjoying your gardens too as fall advances towards winter.

#128800 October 6th, 2005 at 08:53 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well the tomato cuttings are still green woohoo. I am so tempted to take another 4 cuttings. I just might before the end of the day lol. I pulled up another tomato plant that decided to turn brown. they are actually still going a lot longer than I thought they would. I just have to figure out how to get regular water out to them during the summer without causing that end rot stuff on the fruit.

If anyone has a way of doing that I am all ears lol.

Also I remembered the violet colored daisy wildflowers. Evidently each bloom only lasts one day so the ones I saw yesterday I couldn't identify. But there was one out there looking like it wanted to bloom so i soaked it good and transplanted it over by the mums. I hope it isn't too aggressive or I could live to regret this. The foliage has a bottom leaf like a dandilion. Well all I can do is hope at this point.

I gave the wild onion a haircut yesterday. Today I'm thinking about bringing in a pot of the outdoor chives. Or maybe just giving them a haircut. I don't really need them in here the others are still doing fine. I guess I'll have another cup of coffee and think some more.

The landlord left his wife in charge again today so I have to wait before I can get the shovel. I'm definitely thinking about turning the compost bin. It's all the trees fault. If it hadn't donated a load of leaves yesterday I'm sure I could have held off until Sunday. But it did and now they really need to get mixed in there lol. I am so bad. Well that's where I'm at as far as the garden is concerned this morning. Oh well other than thinking about trying some hard wood barberry cuttings again. I'm sure I'll find something I just have to do today.

Oh and I have to brag just the tiniest bit. I transplanted the one columbine over to the partially shady area where the other one is and guess what. That's right the soil where it was is all black and loamy and soooooooo nice. I actually am getting somewhere. And when I dig into the current beds for one reason or another it becomes really apparent.

Sorry for the super long post.

#128801 October 7th, 2005 at 12:38 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well since I was in the mood to do cuttings I took 6 barberry cuttings. Of course I'm going to try them in the ground this time in a shady location and see how they do. I took much smaller cuttings this time and hopefully that will help. I also pruned the mature barberry while I was at it. I think if it's not done growing it should be close so it has a nice pleasant shape to carry it through the winter.

#128802 October 8th, 2005 at 12:05 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo the tiger lillies arrived today so I immediately went out and planted them in our run off ditch. I'm hoping they will like it there. The tomatoes are still doing well. One is kind of weak but I hope it will pull through. The rest are looking good so far. They seem much happier that it is cool and rainy today. The barberry cuttings are looking good too. All except one which again is looking kind of week. I piled the grass clippings on the glads the other day and of course it fell forward. The dusty miller is halfway covered in them too and it has turned green. I'm assuming it is unhappy at the moment. But it is a difficult area to get to so it will have to wait until after the rain stops.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard