This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#128702 September 9th, 2005 at 08:17 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm not sure there is enough season left for a part two but I'm not willing to give it up yet lol. So I'm going to start a part two and if it goes great...and if it doesn't that's ok too. According to my research I still have a number of chores pending so I'll just see what happens. I guess that's part of the fun of being a newbie.

#128703 September 9th, 2005 at 08:53 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
The mechanic next door had to tell me that my garden was so sickly that there wasn't even anything worth stealing. But other than his idea of humor it was a good morning. Why do people have to be like that? Don't they think I can see that mine isn't as pretty as everyone elses?
What did you say to him when he said that???
That was really rude! mad
My gardens are full of weeds right now because I haven't been able to pull them much this summer because of my surgery, but my neighbors aren't coming over here telling me my gardens aren't pretty. What a jerk...even if he was just trying to be funny.

Cindy

#128704 September 10th, 2005 at 12:30 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
As you might guess I was so suprised that I didn't say a thing. And then I finished up what I was doing and came inside and cried. Then I posted and cried some more. Then I took a nap. I guess that's why he normally avoids talking to women even when they bring their cars in to be repaired. I guess no one ever taught him how to be nice. He just said what he thought I guess.

#128705 September 10th, 2005 at 01:40 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I guess that's why he normally avoids talking to women even when they bring their cars in to be repaired.
You know, hooper...if he doesn't normally talk to women maybe he just doesn't know what to say...and he was trying to start a conversation, but just didn't know how to go about it...then stuck his big ole foot in his mouth. If he isn't normally a jerk, then that could be what he was trying (in a weird way) to do... Duh

And, if he IS normally a jerk, then he succeeded in what he wanted to do...hurt someone's feelings.
In which case, I say :p on him.

Cindy

#128706 September 10th, 2005 at 03:39 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well it's always best to put that kind of thing behind me and go on with something positive. So I'm building a map of where all the seeds and plants are. That always makes me happy. Hopefully next year the garden will be so beautiful everyone will be saying nice things.

#128707 September 10th, 2005 at 03:49 AM
What a jerk. Can I psychoanalyze for a minute? Even if i can't spell it. The guy is a miserable ... that's jealous of your spirit and drive with your garden. That, or he really likes you! Poop on him. Think about what that weed patch looked like before you started it? Geez louise...

So, what I'm wondering is if a bird of paradise is an indoor or outdoor plant? Did ya know it can get up to 25' tall? wink Gosh what a great buncha goodies you sent me - you're da BOMB! kissies

#128708 September 10th, 2005 at 04:08 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
The white one I sent is indoors. The orange one is outdoors in warmer weather. The white one makes really great leaves until it finally blooms many years down the road lol. It likes shade so you don't have to stick it in a window.

#128709 September 10th, 2005 at 04:17 AM
Very cool! I love the seeds - even they're pretty! I can't wait to get em started. Now that I have some pothos suddenly I think I'm the houseplant queen laugh More like wannabe! wink

#128710 September 10th, 2005 at 04:35 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
When did you get pathos? I must have missed that post. Goooooooo girl. The seeds are cool aren't they with that little orange furry hood. They require scarification did I mention that in the note I forget things soooooooo often.

#128711 September 10th, 2005 at 04:59 AM
Hmm wasn't long ago - posted a pic to be sure I was calling it the right name laugh

I got 2 of them in walmart - they were $5 each and I used my 'no-more-smoking' money to buy them smile I thought I'd treat myself! That, and I took a cutting home from Helen's moms in OKC that I tried to root - but I think I shouldve left it in water longer - I potted it up and it's just sitting there...no growth, and getting kinda floppy like.

Hmm think you forgot the note for those seeds - geesh all those notes you saved me SO Much time! I did a quick search and saw they need stratification - one place said they could take up to 18 months shk to germinate so don't give up on em if they do take a long time

#128712 September 10th, 2005 at 08:10 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm glad you have some pathos and now you have the white bird of paradise so you won't have really bad garden withdrawals if the weather gets bad and you have to spend sometime indoors. Isn't it cool having that not smoking money? Hopefully I'll be able to get some potting soil so I have some for my winter indoors planting extravaganza I have planned for January through April of this year lol.

Today the chores were just watering the seeds and harvesting the portulaca. I need to post about them down in pests and problems. Hope I don't forget. I do that so often.

#128713 September 10th, 2005 at 09:24 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
More things done in the garden. I got half of the bulb bed dug up and the clay mixed in with the compost to a depth of 3 inches. Another 5 inches and I am in good shape. I wonder if I can manage it in the 2 weeks that is the minimum shipping time for the allium. Of course since I wanted to play in the garden the sun came out and it got way to hot. But maybe later I can get some more done. There isn't much I like to watch on tv on Saturdays.

#128714 September 11th, 2005 at 07:47 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well today is the day. I turned the compost pile took out the finished and added some of my reserve grass clippings which is all to the good. Now I'm going to go after that front curb and get the grass and dirt that has accumulated around it out into the reserve compost material area lol.

Have I mentioned lately that I love gardening. So water goes down in the bucket to soften up the area and then it's shovel and tote lol. See you all in a bit when I come in for my next break and to get another cup of coffee.

#128715 September 11th, 2005 at 08:15 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Break time lol.

Well I toted the water down but most of it ran off. I guess I'm going to have to build a little makeshift dam to hold it inplace until it can soften the ground for me lol. But I did get the compost area all swept and cleaned off so there won't be any trouble with me having it. And I got half of the parkinglot swept up. So now I just have to get the leaves from the other side of the lot corralled and I'll have them for next weeks compost turning. Got to say I never expected composting to be so satisfing but it is. Well let me head back down for another turn at getting the garden chores done.

#128716 September 11th, 2005 at 08:55 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I think I'm done at least for the morning run. One hour and fifteen minutes and I'm soaked in sweat. I guess I'm going have have to start getting up earlier. But with luck I can get out there at about 5:00p.m. and do another hour. I just don't want to be caught short when the fall seeds and bulbs arrive and not be able to plant them because I can't get the beds prepared in time. I really want to have a nice garden even if it is small next year. Rather than just plunking a few starter plants in clay and hoping for the best. That didn't work all that well this year. I guess I've seen everyones beautiful beds and I'm feeling like the ugly duckling of the forum. Oh well just keep plugging along I guess.

#128717 September 12th, 2005 at 02:50 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well lets just see what the grease monkey says tomorrow when he sees my red miniature roses that I got at the grocery store today. I planted them as soon after I put the groceries away as I possible could. The are so pretty. I hope they survive.

#128718 September 12th, 2005 at 05:04 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I broke up the clay in two spots where I want to do beds this fall. But now I'm running into the problem of the plants I want being alkaline soil plants. So I guess I better do some more research. I know lime makes it acidic but what makes it alkaline? lol

#128719 September 12th, 2005 at 07:01 AM
T, I'm pretty sure that lime makes the soil more alkaline.

#128720 September 12th, 2005 at 08:47 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thanks Mary your right. That's one of those times when the information went into my brain and got turned around 180 degrees. I don't know how it does that but it can drive me crazy. Ok, not drive me crazy it's just a symptom of me being crazy.

But thankyou for catching that. I guess that should me that I'm ok. I hope anyway.

#128721 September 12th, 2005 at 10:43 AM
You're as okay as I am - not like THAT's any consolation laugh wink

#128722 September 12th, 2005 at 11:31 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
sulpher = acidic
lime = alkaline (at least 6 months to affect the soil.)

Maybe I need to get out there and do a general bone meal sprinkle. I think it has been a while since I did that. Maybe mid summer.

Well I think the sleeping pill is finally taking affect so I'm going to go lay down. Talk to you all tomorrow.

#128723 September 12th, 2005 at 10:22 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Okea Dokea, the First tier is watered including the new seedlings yahooooooooooooo. And half the parking lot is swept clean of leaves which are falling off of one of the poplars. Thank goodness for that. I haven't had any leaves in like the last 4 weeks and it was getting very bad lol. I was about to steal the leaf mulch from around the shade plants where I had put it when the poplar was shedding regularly and I had to many leaves lol. Feast or famine I guess lol.

Anyway I will probably get back out there this evening and try to turn so more of the bulb bed. I really want to have that area just about perfect for when the alliums get here. I'm excited about my plans for that bed. I can just see me out there with a magnifing glass ever day come March waiting to see the plants come up over the seasons. I think I have that bed fixed so it will provide interest from early spring right through frost so you can bet I can't wait to see the end result and I haven't even done the planting yet lol. oh well that's the way it goes.

#128724 September 13th, 2005 at 12:31 AM
I hate to even get out of the house it's so hot and the air here is horrible right now. I miss working on my flower beds.

#128725 September 13th, 2005 at 05:59 AM
I went ahead and planted the pansies in the flower box yellow and purple. They look so much better. Lets hope they last for a while. Fertalized everything and put in some plant fertalizer spikes for the winter.

My neighbor just came over here and asked me to please keep my dog quiet. My dog is on a leash in our yard barking at their dog who is not on a leash and is walking around in my back yard. mad I try and try to satisfy them as far as the dog goes, but I can't. They didnt like her (my dog) running around so I put her on a lead in the yard, meanwhile, their great dane is here all the time. They went on a cruise for 2 weeks and she didnt leave my yard at all. I felt so bad for her that I went and got her food and fed her. Something is going to have to give! They cant keep complaining about dogs if theirs is running around willy nilly. My dog is a little west highland terrier. She doesnt chew or dig flowers. Their great dane does both and well you can imagine what I clean up outta my yard from it. mad

I am going to stop ranting now!

#128726 September 13th, 2005 at 09:29 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Sounds like you have one of those interesting neighbors too.

The Streaker (re: weed patch) has decided that he wants some of my purple velvet passion plant and I have lots of it I can prune so I told him if he came up with the pot and the soil I'd give him some starts to root. And I must have at least 10 18" stems I can cut for him. Hopefully one of those would root.

As far as garden chores go today it's been watering and working on my composting. I am so looking forward to having a big load of compost soon. I just wish I were alittle bit farther along as far as the bentwood fence is concerned on tier 4 It will never hold the compost in place if I try to spread it up there. I may have to give in and buy 2 20 foot lengths of edging and the necessary stakes to hold them in place.

At least with a roommate I can afford to do that. When I was by myself that really wasn't possible. So it's all good one way or another.

I hope your pansy's last a good long time. How do you like using those fertilizer sticks? Do you have a problem with "hot spots".

Can you put up a fence or anything like that so their dog can't come into your yard? Not that the dog will be around for long their life spans are so short it is a shame.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard