This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#128752 September 20th, 2005 at 09:00 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Dare I suggest what I did with some old ivy that I wanted to remove? Took a chain saw to the roots. Bought two replacement chains for it and a sharpening for those long winter nights when there was nothing on tv lol.

Had to cut the roots into sections and then pull out the sections. Took weeks even doing it that way. But I got my rose bed. Of course before the roses every sprouted we had to move.

Well if I can just talk my ankles into supporting me there are a load of leaves out on the parking lot to be swept up. I can't wait to get a move on those.

#128753 September 21st, 2005 at 02:57 AM
LOL TK -- I have thought about attaching something to the riding mower and pulling, but I dont know what to use. My darling husband keeps taking my truck since I mentioned I was going to attach a rope or something to the bumper and yank those things out of there. The main problem I have is they are located around our gas and water lines area. I cant use an axe because of that so I have to tread slowly. I plan on raising that area once those nasty things are gone.

#128754 September 21st, 2005 at 03:27 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Don't want to attach a chain to it then for the same reason. The roots may knock into the line at some point and tearing one out might damage the other. What about calling in professionals? You know like the people that remove stumps. Cause there is stuff that will burn the roots right in place. Then you would be good to go.

#128755 September 21st, 2005 at 09:07 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Dare I mention sweeping up leaves for the compost bin? Yep that's what I was doing. Didn't stay out very long at all. Still tired from the Sunday extravaganza lol. Oh well, I guess it's slow and steady or all at once and then a long break lol. I think I like slow and steady better.

#128756 September 21st, 2005 at 12:03 PM
You're rockin' . . . and here I am feeling so proud of myself just getting that south lot nicely tidied up for the last time.

I still have plenty of stuff to do. By the time I've done it, the leaves will be falling and the landlords will be down here to do the annual rake-up - we worked with them last time and it went well.

#128757 September 21st, 2005 at 09:53 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'd never be able to do one big rake up so I just keep at it a little bit each day. Usually I split it into two trips down to the lot. I get one side one time and one side the other. Today it was watering the fall seeds. Fortunately it looks like there wasn't enough wind to have brought down a bunch of leaves so I guess I'll do that tomorrow. Along with a midweek compost turning just to check stuff out some. Or depending on the temperature I might even do that this evening. There isn't anything on the tv on Wednesdays.

#128758 September 22nd, 2005 at 03:19 AM
Today I got the remainder of the tulips planted, I just decided to put them on the sides of the front porch. I don't know what to I am about out of areas to plant things. My bed are full. And with the way the lot is situated there aren't alot of other areas. I think I may just start putting in little beds here and there. I cleaned up the yard. I forgot to take down the old dog cage. Drat!!!!!!! I also got the garden cart cleaned out. I have a ton of pots and six packs in the storage shed for my green house this year. I cannot wait!

#128759 September 22nd, 2005 at 05:19 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I guess that's one of the advantages of annuals lol. There is always the fussing with plantings, dead heading, harvesting seeds, composting the remains and then starting the cycle all over again lol.

#128760 September 24th, 2005 at 05:02 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo!!! I got the potting table painted and dried before we had a little rain. Of course I watered right before it rained too. But better that than dry seeds.

#128761 September 27th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
turned the compost today. And I actually got all the reserve grass clippings into the bin along with all the new grass clippings that my landlord brought me. The bin is very full at the moment. But if it shrinks the way I expect it to that won't be a problem for long. But smell may be a bit of a problem for a day or two. But once I can get some leaves in the bin I'll be in good shape.

Tomorrow I need to get out there and spread the finished compost in the shade bed so I can get the christmas roses planted while the temps are still high. Then it'll just be a matter of keeping it moist while it's getting situated.

Well hope everyone is getting their gardens ready for fall and then winter.

#128762 September 27th, 2005 at 09:07 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well today I spent the day trying to find enough dirt to transplant the varigated aloe and the Anacampseros Telephiastrum Variegata. (talk about a mouth full for a very small plant lol.) Next year they are both going outside for the summer and I have no idea what I will do with them when they need to come back inside. But by then I'm thinking the varigated aloe will be large enough to give me a bloom which will be way cool and I might even get one off of the other plant which is a succulent type ground cover. I call it my catepillar plant because it will raise up when it gets unhappy. Right now it was doing that because the pot was to small and it didn't have anywhere to crawl to. If I don't take care of it at that point it begins dropping leaves. Not to say that my plants are bossy or anything but lol.

After that I needed to update my seed & plant catalog. I now have 71 different types of plants accounted for lol. Compared to many of our members that isn't much but for me it is huge. I just hope I can find a patch of ground for all of them and that I don't loose to many.

Well better move on to the next topic lol.

#128763 September 28th, 2005 at 06:00 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I did a lot of cleaning in my gardens today...and pulled up 2 wild garlic bulbs while weeding.
(Quite a few cloves on each one.)

Do you want me to send them to you, Hooper...when I send the red zinnia seeds?
The zinnia seeds will be ready in a week or so.

Cindy

#128764 September 28th, 2005 at 09:06 AM
Well my grass seed is growing very well for less then a week out there its all about an inch tall and you can hardly see the brown area! This rain has been a real blessing! Today did some cleaning and weeding of the front bed. That extra layer of mulch sure helps the weeds come out alot easier, I didn't have to dig at the roots today. The weeds are getting fewer and fewer I think I I?just keep at it next year it should be nearly maintence free other then the occasional weed like the other 3 beds.

We decided to put up 5 trellises next year. We will put these in the back where I cannot have a true bed due to the gas lines running near that area. We are going to use lattice and make 6ft tall and probably 2ft wide trellises and plant morning glories of different varieties on them. This will give me flowers in the area that don't require much ground work. And it gives my son a whole area of his favorite flowers of all time. My husband got me some Japanese varieties straight from Japan. I am rather excited. His vice president brought them back to him from his grandmothers garden. When I asked him to ask I didn't think he would. I am so gald he did. here is our plan -- --
the the second row / \ o / \

Ok due to my anal need for patterns I guess we will have to build 6 of them lol. Hubby will understand. I think this will be a nice area. I will put in a bird bath in where the o is. and a humming bird feeder. My son will love this are. I guess I could do a few annuals around the base of the bird bath. Just some seeds that have to be scratched in to the ground.

#128765 September 28th, 2005 at 09:50 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Cindy you know me so well lol. I'd love some.

Karrie that sounds fantastic.

#128766 September 28th, 2005 at 08:22 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I've been up and out to the garden. I've watered all my sprouts lol. And I was given a small yellow mum by the streaker so I planted that in the front of this years tomato bed. It's nice to have a bit of fall color going on down there. I can't say the snaps are doing much so far. I hope they get motivated here in the not to distant future I really need their color. The portulaca are just not interested in doing much at all lol. The miniature rose has actually produced a new bud which is so cool. Wouldn't it be great if it decided it liked it in the garden.

I was going to say something else but it's slipped my mind so hopefully I'll remember what it is and stick it in a post somewhere around here lol.

Have a good day all.

#128767 September 29th, 2005 at 11:13 AM
Well after Rita left us, I had to survey my plants -- they all did good. But what was a wonderful surprise was my roses had 4 beautiful flowers on them. I have one area cleared out and ready to work my soil so I can get it ready for planting. I am getting muscles from pulling on roots -- I saw them move when I was brushing my hair -- looking good grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn

#128768 September 29th, 2005 at 11:30 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm so glad your plants survived that's great. And your getting muscles woohoo. I had to put another hole in my belt so that's along the same lines I guess. But my waist size changes so much between morning and afternoon I've stopped thinking that it means much lol.

Today I spread very finely chopped up grass clippings all over everything. And I made a makeshift sifter for my compost. So tomorrow is going to be the mid week turn of the compost and we will see if I get any black gold out of the bin. If I do maybe I'll plant those christmas roses along the back of the shady part of the garden. It is next on my list to do since it wants two weeks of 70 degree temperatures before cooler temps set in. I so hope I can keep it moist enough for the seeds to germinate.

#128769 September 29th, 2005 at 10:28 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I didn't get enough finished compost when I turned it to help with the shady flower bed spot. I guess I can dig my little heart out and plant with what I have. Maybe I'll get lucky lol. Anything is possible. It will be tomorrow though because I'm hoping it rains today. I really don't want to add carrying water to the strain I've already put on my elbow.

Well cross my fingers and hope I guess. You all have a really good day.

#128770 September 30th, 2005 at 08:52 PM
Well, some of those botanical names are a mouthful, but there is a reason - and I guess I'm preaching to the choir here, but in case any of you don't know it, the reason is that the botanical names are the same in every country.

Butter n' Eggs would be different words in French, Italian, etc. But the botanical name would be the same.

Solidago is solidago everywhere.

Kind of a neat trick botanists have of keeping things straight.

#128771 September 30th, 2005 at 10:06 PM
TK -- How did you make a makeshift sifter? I am new to this stuff and am curious.

#128772 October 1st, 2005 at 01:25 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That's really good information Carly thank you.

Hey 160, I was lucky enough to find an old window screen in the dumpster so I rescued it and punch a bunch of holes in i with my small phillips head screwdriver and then just put it on top of a bucket and began scraping the compost back and forth across it. What I'm seperating is all the fine stuff and I really need for the holes to be bigger but until this screen rots out which probably won't be long it will be ok. Then once the screen starts to go I'll take the sheet metal cutters to it and replace it with a wider screen and lace that on to the frame with some wire I have "hang"ing ((i.e. old wire hangers) I just couldn't resist the pun. I'm like that some times.) around and I'll be good to go.

#128773 October 1st, 2005 at 09:28 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I watered everything. It seems like the only things that appreciates my effort at this time is the wild garlic that probably would be doing fine without me giving it water lol. Well the celosia is doing well too. I guess I'm just feeling a little depressed today because my elbow still hurts.

It's got to heal sooner or later I hope.

#128774 October 1st, 2005 at 11:45 AM
Wow -- I am going to try that -- we moved into an ol' house and there were screen doors and window screens that were messed up -- got screens laying around thats for sure. Thanks for the info and creativeness thumbup thumbup thumbup

#128775 October 2nd, 2005 at 04:56 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Glad you can use the idea. I'll be busy using it next the Sunday after this. This Sunday my elbow is getting a rest. Silly me I went on a mall crawl today. And I'm in no shape for that much exercise. The Mall is huge.

#128776 October 2nd, 2005 at 09:17 AM
well... I finally got my husband to help me dig out the area in my driveway garden so I could plant my new ornamental grasses. They've been sitting in my driveway for 2 weeks now. The huge "town planted" maple tree that is next to this garden keeps growing SOLID MASSES of roots into this garden that lines the driveway. It took him 1/2 hour to get them and some pretty massive rocks out, and he hurt his back. ters

I did manage to get the grasses in before the sun disappeared and it got cool out again. Here's what they look like, though the 2 Adagio will eventually reach 4 ft. even though they are labeled "dwarf". The birdbath in the background has a fairy reading a book on it.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard