This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#124590 September 13th, 2005 at 06:09 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
This is one of my Holiday Miniatures, a Victorian Christmas Stocking. It was made with Size 10 thread using a Size 6 steel hook and the finished size is 1.5 inches tall. This is NOT a flat piece, but an actual stocking. For the glittery trim, I added a strand of ordinary metallic sewing thread to the Size 10 thread and worked them together.

[Linked Image]

These are three of my miniature rose Pins. They are each worked with Size 10 thread using a Size 7 Steel hook. Each rose measures 1.5 inches across. The central pearl is added later, just before the Rosette Motif is sewn into its final shape. The leaves are worked separately and stitched to the back before the jewlery pin back is added for wearing.

[Linked Image]

Merme

#124591 September 13th, 2005 at 06:51 AM
Merme,

Well after a much too long absence it is so good to see you. That work of your is ABSOLUTELY, I mean totally beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Hope to see you posting more. I sure do miss ya!

#124592 September 13th, 2005 at 07:47 AM
WOW Merme - you really do beautiful work! kissies

#124593 September 13th, 2005 at 12:48 PM
hi there merme! those look excellent! since we're seeing pictures...does that mean that you have your own camera now?

#124594 September 13th, 2005 at 05:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What wonderful work you do Merme....I crochet, but I don't follow patterns...I just sort of do my own thing.....I don't think I could ever do anything that fancy....

Thanks for sharing your pictures....they're great.

#124595 September 13th, 2005 at 10:51 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Each rose measures 1.5 inches across.
ters

Cindy

#124596 September 14th, 2005 at 12:10 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Those are the largest of the roses I make, afgrey, because they are made with Size 10 thread which is fairly hefty. Made with Size 20, 30, 40 or 50, and using much finer hooks, they turn out very delicate indeed. In such small sizes they are perfect for slips, nightgowns, hankies, or picture frames, etc., wherever they won't get terribly hard use.

They are actually the same pattern sample I sent to you and Triss worked in yarn so you could more readily see the individual stitches as well as how they are put together. You often will see the rosette pattern made in yarns for afghans, vests, hat brims or purses. Made with silk cords they can be used to adorn drapery tie backs.

You see? It all just depends on the fiber used.

Merme

#124597 September 14th, 2005 at 12:56 AM
Merme-
those are all beautiful.... love the roses too- and I agree you could sell those for much more at the church fair- bet you would get it too- fairs here chage much more- church and regular craft fairs- anything handmade .... I have seen fleece blankets here that are nothing more than a length of fleece with fringe cut at the edges all around for over $25... how much handwork is in that-?
Love the hat too-- you have so much talent.
Nana

#124598 September 23rd, 2005 at 07:26 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
GRANDMOTHER'S TIP

This is a tip from generations past for those of you who make large projects such as afghans or sweaters meant to endure over time.

Before you begin the project, unroll and cut off one very long strand of your yarn and put a simple knot in each end. Set aside.

Then when your project is nearing completion and you are ready to begin your edging, border, or sew your side seams, get that strand ready.

Simply place it flat along one edge and "bury" it as you sew the seam or work the border, leaving only the knots exposed at each end where they will hardly be noticable.

Then, in after years, if the item ever needs repaired, the person doing the repair will have a strand of the original fiber that is of the same color, age, and number of washings as the whole piece.

One knot can be snipped off, the free end pulled out just to reveal enough of the strand for the repair. The remaining end can be knotted again and tucked back in for still future use.

And, when you give the item away, be sure to point out "Grandmother's Secret".

This small and easy tip spares the future owner much heartache trying to find matching yarn to effect a repair that won't show.

Merme

#124599 September 23rd, 2005 at 08:18 PM
What a fantastic idea, Merme!
Thanks for sharing that!

#124600 October 16th, 2005 at 04:03 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone ~

I thought you all might enjoy the following excerpts from the "Ladies Complete Guide to Crochet and Fancy Knitting", published in 1854... crochet had been introduced to American women in the 1830's from Ireland and it was gaining in popularity.

"In this country, crochet is considered not merely as an elegant way to while away time, but as one of those gentle means by which women are kept feminine and ladylike in this fast age. Masculine women of hard or coarse-grained natures are seldom given to these pleasant household employments."

"There is a careless fashion among gentlemen of speaking lightly regarding those graceful exhibitions of female industry which pass under the head of fancy work. Yet, to our mind, there is no amusement more innocent and graceful. Let gentlemen deride these pretty occupations if they please; we know how much of a soothing influence lies in the dreamy habit of counting stitches and how many bright faculties are pleasantly exercised in arranging and matching colors."

"On no occasion does a lady seem more lovely than when half occupied with some feminine art which keeps her fingers employed and gives an excuse for downcast eyes and gentle preoccupation. There is an air of tranquility and a proof of innocent contentment in these domestic accomplishments that have a beautiful significance in the family circle."

"It is only in well regulated households that leisure moments are thus gathered up. It is only minds, composed and serene in their joy or submissive in sorrow, that can constrain themselves to the gentle monotony of work like this."

"With a crochet [hook] in the hand, we join more pleasantly in conversation; the little implement fills up all embarassing pauses. It's use gives feminine and domestic air which men may smile at but cannot condemn. Under all circumstances it is better than counting beads like the modern Greeks, or flirting with fans like the Spanish belles -- or flirting without fans as sometimes happens to ladies of all nations."

"What excuse should we have for casting down eyes when other people's eyes become troublesome? Every lady knows how many heart tremors can be carried off in a vigorous twist of the crochet [hook]. How many pleasant words may be innocently received in a sensitive heart when it's defensive faculties are busy counting stitches?"

"In short, we persist in the belief that a feminine character can not be quite perfect without a knowledge of all types of needlework, and a downright hearty love of it, too. For our part we have buried many a heartache in the growing leaves of a silken rose and blunted the sharp edge of pangs that would not be wrestled with by the sweet, calm monotony of a shining bit of steel."

Oh, how I enjoyed reading that slice of life from our sisters of 150 years ago...

Merme

#124601 December 5th, 2005 at 09:05 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are some photos of recent work photographed by Melcon...

This first piece is "Star of Peace, Hope For The World"

[Linked Image]

Although it is hard to see in the photo, there are actualy six bands making the shape of the globe with the dangling star in the center. The entire piece is 3 inches wide.

#124602 December 5th, 2005 at 09:08 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are some photos of the Cornucopia, which measures 3 inches in length from point of cone to filigree edge and perhaps 2 inches wide at the fullest part of the trumpet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As I mentioned before, the tiny gift packages were Lego blocks I crocheted around with sparkly Knit-Cro-Sheen which also has a slightly elastic quality to the thread.

Merme

#124603 December 5th, 2005 at 09:11 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are two photos of the six-sided snowflake "Leaves of Snow"...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think that turned out to be between 2.5 and 3 inches tall.

Merme

#124604 December 5th, 2005 at 09:16 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
This piece was difficult to photograph because we did not have a good surface to spread it out on for Melcon. Maxi just held it up against the back of the chair for contrast.

[Linked Image]

It is a doily pattern called "Silver Bells" and measures 10 inches across. There are 23 jingle bells of 6mm and 7 jingle bells of 9 mm around the outer edge.

This was also worked in silver Knit-Cro-Sheen. My sister might possibly suspend this inside a metal ring for hanging rather than using it as a flat piece.

Merme

#124605 December 5th, 2005 at 09:19 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
The last photo in this series is of the single ice skate worked over a 1 inch paperclip.

She took the photo before I had the second skate completed, but when they are finished I crochet a length of chain between the two attached at the back cuff of each boot so they can be hung on the tip of a tree branch...

[Linked Image]

Merme

Oh and PS next week I hope to have more photos of larger items such as woolies to show you...

#124606 December 5th, 2005 at 09:23 AM
Wonderful stuff! I do not think I could ever do stuff so small. That cornucorpia is so sweet!

#124607 December 5th, 2005 at 09:29 AM
Nice handiwork, Merme. ~Tina

#124608 December 5th, 2005 at 10:58 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Oh, Merme!!!!! shk

How in the world do you do that???
Such tiny little things?

Makes my hands and fingers hurt just thinking about it.

#124609 December 5th, 2005 at 11:19 AM
So talented, Merme.
You must have terrific concentration and steadiness for those gorgeous projects!

#124610 December 5th, 2005 at 11:25 AM
Very beautiful Merme, I love them all!!! Do you give them as gifts or just make them for yourself? I collect the Crochet type pot holders, I don't use them nor do I have them displayed, they are in my cedar chest along with the all the tablecloths I also collect, I do use some of the table cloths.

#124611 December 5th, 2005 at 07:29 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought I should post the photos of the silver rose pin here, too...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Although some of the smaller details do not photograph that well, this pin is based on the traditional three tier rosette. Worked in Silver Knit-Cro-Sheen with a size 7 steel hook, the final size is about 1 inch wide.

A red glass bead is added to the center by stringing it onto the tail left for sewing the rosette into shape and then running the tail down through the rosette to secure it into place, picking up the edges of all the layers in small stitches using a tapestry needle.

I then attached additional thread, strung tiny rocaille beads and 6 mm jingle bells to make the dangling loops.

The last step was to add the jewelry pin back.

The specific directions for making the basic rosette motif are on an earlier page in this thread. Because I have made hundreds of these rosettes in a wide variety of fibers and sizes and colors, I can assure you it is a motif that is worthwhile to learn... with nearly endless possibilities for final product.

Worked with satin cord these become large and elegant enough for drapery tie backs. A fuzzy yarn makes a cute one for the brim of a woolie cap. Size 10 crochet cotton renders a motif about an inch wide, suitable for pins or ponytail holders when sewn onto elastics. Size 20 or 50 crochet cotton (VERY fine thread indeed!) renders a motif dainty enough to decorate a lacy nightgown or slip...

Merme

#124612 December 6th, 2005 at 04:10 AM
Oh the rose pin is so beautiful!!!!

#124613 December 6th, 2005 at 09:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I second that, I LOVE the rose pin....it's beautiful...although everything is equally wonderful....I really like those little skates too....I crochet, but nothing like that....just plain old blankets...nothing fancy.

Merme they are wonderful! kissies

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard