This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#124202 August 9th, 2005 at 07:19 PM
Meg Offline
Awwwe, I wish I could be there to get the photos too. He is such a sweet little bird!

#124203 August 9th, 2005 at 08:47 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Jimmy...
Glad to hear your new arrivals are settling in so well...I guess they think they've gone to heaven!

Cindy, Lola must be about the smartest bird ever, to have that kinda vocabulary, and know how to use it!
She can carry on a conversation with you...this morning she wouldn't eat anything I gave her...kept telling me she wanted a bite, then I'd give her an Avi-Cake, which she threw, then some cashews, which she threw...and she kept saying "I want a BITE!"
I said, "Well, WHAT DO YOU WANT?" and she told me an egg...so I scrambled an egg for her and she ate it. :rolleyes:

African Greys are the only parrot known to have cognitive speach...they don't just mimic...they know what they're saying. They have the mentality of about a 5 year old child.

She says something new to amaze me every single day...
The other morning when we had tuna for breakfast and I was opening the can, she yelled at the cat, "Keow Meow! Come here! It's tuna!"

Cindy

#124204 August 9th, 2005 at 09:09 PM
Hi everyone ~ wavey

I regret I misspoke in a previous post when I said "parakeets don't talk". What I meant was THESE parakeets don't talk...they are one of the varities of parakeets that generally do not speak.

Yet when I was a kid, my maternal grandmother had another kind of parakeet that was much larger than the kind Maxi has. His name was Petey and he'd say a few words to us kids. His favorite thing to say was to call himself "Pretty Boy!" so us kids would laugh and feed him treats.

I forget the exact name of Maxi's parakeets, but they are very, very small birds who make a lovely chirp. They like to listen to water running and will chatter quite a bit then. They also like to hear us talking nearby and will try to join in. When they are upset about something, I will whistle for them and they calm down.

Merme

#124205 August 10th, 2005 at 04:08 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Well when I got home this afternoon Wolfman and the lovebirds were calling at me Trent chimmed in . When I got in the house I said hi every some body and Trent did say hi. I opened his cage talking softly and he got on my hand came up my arm and started kissing me on the cheek and pulling neck hairs. Then I fixed a bologna sandwich and two hard fried egg sandwhich's sat down to check E-Mail and eat. Well one certain little Sun conure said bite and came down and took a bite of sandwich. so we had our first "shared" lunch. He wouldn't take a bite until I did then he would get a bite this way through all three sandwich's. At the last he had a piece of egg called out spot and dropped in right in front of spot. He watched to make sure spot got it. He calls Hunter the little Yorkie a lot. Trent is on my shoulder now has been trying to talk . I don't know if I created a feathered monster or an dining buddy. laugh
Merme not sure but what you describe Maxi as having sounds a lot like a Budgie. Small colorful and full of chatter. Mind you I could be wrong just what your discription sounds like. I have had several Parakeets over the years my sister raised them at one time. I also have had some Budgies and they sure make a lot of noise. Trent and myself are fixing to take a nap. Talk to everyone later.
Jimmy and Trent

#124206 August 10th, 2005 at 04:13 AM
Jimmy,

Did I read correctly that Trent is already TALKING for you? Amazing! Goes to show you what a good environment will do for a pet!

#124207 August 10th, 2005 at 04:26 AM
Meg Offline
Wow, did he ever bond with you, and quickly! That is so wonderful that he is doing so great in your care! I'm happy to have another forum buddy! wink thumbup

Meg

#124208 August 10th, 2005 at 04:29 AM
JV, isn't it amazing that this supposedly "vicious" bird who would "bite" the owner or handler is actually a sugar giving, lunch sharing community member?

Gee, he must really be dangerous if he likes to sit on your shoulder for kisses, eat some bologna and egg and try to help feed the other pets! Wow, I'd be scared! (NOT!)

Given half a chance, what else might this fine bird do!

Unfortunately, I can't yet take a photo to show you of Maxi's birds, but hopefully I will be getting a camera for my birthday next month. Then you can see what the kid has. We were told they were parakeets. Duh

Merme

#124209 August 10th, 2005 at 04:39 AM
W
W
Some people just have a gift for putting animals at ease. My youngest is that way. My best friends cat hates anyone touching it and usually runs off but she will stop and let my youngest pet her. She must sense that he would never hurt her. For a 2 year old he is very good with animals. He never pets them mena and will sit and talk to them. Our neighbor has a big friendly lab that about knocks you over with his happy tail. Cole just loves him even if he gets knocked down. Most kids would have a fit. I hope Cole grows up to care for animals just as much as you do JV.
We don't have pets (unless you count the fish) but when we get our dream house we will. I grew up on a ranch and want my kids to know the joy of having animal friends.

#124210 August 10th, 2005 at 05:05 AM
Nancy ~

thumbup

Merme

#124211 August 10th, 2005 at 07:29 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Jimmy...Sounds like your new friend Trent is gonna be just like Lola! She eats all her meals on my shoulder...I hold her little plate up while I'm eating. She eats everything I eat...except, of course, the foods she's not supposed to have that were listed earlier. When I peel apples or carrots, etc. she "helps" :rolleyes: and I end up with apples all over the kitchen floor!
(Just make sure Trent doesn't eat the seeds out of apples) frown

Lola takes a shower with me everyday...but I don't know if that would go over with Trent yet. I started Lola in the shower with me as soon as I got her...when she was just a baby. I made her a perch that sits in the tub...

[Linked Image]

If I block the water from hitting her, like when I'm rinsing my hair, she tells me to move!

Sometimes she likes me to run a few inches in the tub so she can play in the water...
[Linked Image]

I'm glad you're enjoying your new "child"!
I sure enjoy mine! thumbup

Cindy

#124212 August 10th, 2005 at 07:55 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
I am amazed at how my new baby is doing just haveing trouble believeing him. Took my nap he was sitting in his open cage came right to me when I went over got on my shoulder. Cindy I don't think I will try the shower with him just yet. He is very loving and likes to give kisses. Hunter cries if I am out of his sight and Trent calls out Hunter. when I set in my recliner a while ago had Hunter in my lap and they loved on each other.Then he finally flew off made a round through the house came back to his cage and right back on my shoulder. This bird has no fear of the other animals. Trent is talking to me now while I type he watch's everything. Cindy I don't let any of my babies have seeds like that I core the apple and cut it up under Cyde's supervision and now under Trents also. Both take sample bite's to make sure everything is right. Merme I could be wrong about your parakeets from what you said I thought it sounded like Budgies. I have seen them sold for Parakeets before and yes I highly believe in useing Licensed dealers. If I find a dealer for african greys here I will get me a lola if I have to hock my right uh arm. I need to go feed the sugar gliders with Trents help. Thanks again for all the advise and input I am useing all of it.
Jimmy & Trent

#124213 August 10th, 2005 at 08:14 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Well we fed the Gliders eveeryhting I did seems like he had a comment just wish I knew what it was. He does not liek apple sauce but loves apples had to have a piece of the gliders apple. Yes Merme this mean out of control biting bird is rubbing his head under my chin right now. He just never getas enough of loving on me.Cindy I held the sandwich's up to him after I took my bite. I have little blue plates I use for my Igauna's will use an extra for Trent to eat out of. Better go to store get some canned dog food for tomorrow. catch you all later. No Trent is not going looking for a vet to trim his wings my vet is good with horses and dogs and such but don't know how well he is at clipping wings.
Jimmy and Trent.

#124214 August 10th, 2005 at 08:51 AM
Cindy, Oh those are great pics of Lola.

Jimmy, Keep the stories about Trent coming. I am already in love with that bird.

#124215 August 10th, 2005 at 07:11 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Lola in the bathtub that is soooooo cute. I've had ferrets that loved the bath and shower but I didn't know birds would take to it that way. Although I know cockatoos are suppose to be misted everyday. Thanks for sharing that. I love learning about diferent animal needs even if I don't have one.

#124216 August 12th, 2005 at 04:34 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
No stories just more Trent photo's they should speak for themselves. Trent is supervising all of this and editing for content he thinks.
Trent the thinker
[Linked Image]
Reading E-Mail
[Linked Image]
Darn Glasses I told you to take them off. since you wont I will.
laugh [Linked Image]

#124217 August 12th, 2005 at 04:37 AM
Oh JV, these photos are wonderful!

Trent isn't just a pretty bird, he is a terrific bird, too!

Thanks so for sharing him with us!

Merme

#124218 August 12th, 2005 at 05:54 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Oh, Jimmy...your little buddy looks SO happy! thumbup
Sometimes by the end of the day she has worn me out from carrying her around on my shoulder all day long. :rolleyes:
As the day goes on, she seems to get heavier and heavier...and her toenails seems to get sharper and sharper... laugh

#124219 August 12th, 2005 at 05:55 AM
Love the pics Jimmy.

#124220 August 12th, 2005 at 07:22 AM
Hi JV ~ wavey

I just want you to know how much Maxi has been enjoying this tread. We read it together and talk everything over. He is quite fond of Lola too, and has been fascinated to notice some of the differences between the two birds. He too is hoping for more photos of Hunter and your other critters!

Afgrey ~ Is an african grey parrot the largest of the parrots as well as the smartest with cognitive speech?

Merme

#124221 August 12th, 2005 at 08:31 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Merme...show Maxi this picture of a Hyacinth Macaw
I think these are the biggest parrot...
They get over 40" long, and weigh about 2 1/2 POUNDS!
They are awesome!

Lola is a medium/large parrot...there are a lot of parrots larger than her. She doesn't even weigh a pound...I have to weigh her on a gram scale. She just FEELS like she weighs a ton after I carry her around all day! :rolleyes: laugh

#124222 August 12th, 2005 at 08:57 AM
Afgrey ~ What a BEAUTIFUL bird that Hyacinth Macaw is! Oh, we so enjoyed seeing that picture. And we were wondering if a bird of that size in it's natural habitat would be a hunter of small rodents, etc? And wondering too, the differences in diet between birds in captivity and birds in the wild.

Merme

#124223 August 14th, 2005 at 12:19 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
WHERE IS JIMMY??????? Duh

#124224 August 14th, 2005 at 01:15 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Went to Oklahoma Friday to watch youngest Grandson graduate for Basic Training in the Army. Was at Fort Sill. Enjoyed the ceremony and all the military hoopla. Of course Bryce was the most handsome there (did you really expect me to say anything else) laugh . Trip although not long only 3 hours each way sure took it's toll on me. BTW a Kia was not made for travel for old men. frown
Left here at 7:00 a m got back at 8:00 pm took pain meds and went to bed. Did not move until 2:30 this morning. But am home and resting.

#124225 August 14th, 2005 at 01:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm glad you had a safe trip. You must be very proud of him...didja get any pics?

G-Mom grinnnn

#124226 August 14th, 2005 at 01:32 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Jimmy...
I have a little Toyota pick-up...
...and YOUNG men can't stand to ride in it! laugh

It's perfect for me grinnnn
...but whoever has to sit on the passenger side has their knees up against the dash!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard