A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: JV THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 06:46 AM
I posted this morning about a parrot I was asked to care for . I got a call this afternoon to go pickup the parrot when I got there he also had Yorkie that he kept in a travel Kennel I took him also. when I got them home it took me a solid hour with a high pressure hose to get the bird cage clean. Had droppings so heavy on the grill in bottom you could not see through the grates. The bottom had at least 3 inch of old waisted bird seed. Man said bird will bite I reached in bird got on my hand right off. He is now here talking to my other birds and the yorkie thinks he owns me. Posting photo's below. Cindy what kind of Parrot is this?
[Linked Image]
I call the bird Trent man said his name started with a T that was all he knew as his mother gave the dog and bird to him
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The food and water trays stunk I cleaned them out and placed in cage with fresh water and food. Trent almost took water bowl away he was so thirsty and ate until I thought he was going to burst. He is now talking to Wolfman and calls me not by name but he hollers until I come in there. He is very pretty.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 06:56 AM
I believe your little parrot is a Sun Conure

Beautiful bird!

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: duckie Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 07:04 AM
God bless you Jimmy kissies for taking in these beautiful animals.

It breaks my heart to think of animals living in filthy cages.
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 07:20 AM
Thanks G-Mom that sure looks like him. Gave him a cracker now he took one bite and threw it at me. He is going to be a handful but I will get him tamed and trained with some effort. Duckie I do too. I almost hit him way he acted like they were nothing. Two years ago I had taken a Cocker spaniel from his mother took $1800.00 to get the holes in that dog cleaned and sewed up and dog healthy people that took her knew what they were getting into but like me they hate mistreated animals.
Posted By: Meg Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 07:27 AM
How sweet JV. I thought it was a conure, thanks g-mom for clearing that up! They are beautiful birds. They can be a bit loud, but they are not known for their vocal abilities.. so don't be surprised if he doesn't say much. Looks like you have a couple new friends JV. thumbup

Meg
Posted By: Merme Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 07:43 AM
What a beautiful bird, JV. And the dog looks adorable.

Thank you so for taking these animals in. You are a good man, JV, a good man.

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
I just got here...
I have to go tuck Lola in and kiss her good-night, then I'll be back...with my 2 cents worth.
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 07:49 AM
Beautiful bird you have there Jimmy. Like the name Trent as well. I bet you will have him talking very quickly!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 07:52 AM
Your my hero, theirs too.

Need the ticker tape parade graemlin here but I don't have it. Maybe Cindy will come by with one for the string. You definitely deserve one. That Yorkie looks so cute and what a beautiful bird. Lucky you.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 08:11 AM
I'm back...had to go tuck my baby in.

Well......... ters
Cindy
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 08:44 AM
Yes, I agree, don't let those animals back to that horrendous life!
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 09:37 AM
Tammy thanks for the vote of confidence but i am no hero. I just do what I can when I can cannot and will not stand by while an animal,child or some defenseless person is abused. Cindy I agree these are not pets they are my children. They are a lot of company for me also I am always talkign to them. they seem to talk back with their eyes and tail wags. Spot stands by the proch and lets me hold on to him while I go up or down the steps. Last year when both feet were so bad I couldn't walk he was right by my side when he saw blood coming through the bandage he would nuzzle me and start crying. Buckie turns back my cover at night. Mimi is the only girl so she gets tucked in at night. Silly maybe but who cares they love me And know I love them.
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 09:40 AM
Not silly at all. It is very sweet! How is Mr. Trent settling in?
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 09:57 AM
He was being very vocal when he saw me cover the other birds he went in his nest never had to say anything to him. Did tell him goodnight but I tell all of them goodnight everynight. Waite until morning when I get up at 4:00 others are used to it and expect it but have to see how he handles it. clyde has already crawled all over his cage trying to get him to come out of course it is playtime for gliders being nocturnal.
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 10:02 AM
I am sure he will be a lil thrown off come morning but will get used to it quickly!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 11:15 AM
Why do these awful people have so many pets?
Posted By: topcat Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 01:23 PM
They have these pets because they can. Tomorrow they can walk into any petstore and buy new pets.

I have guinea pigs and I love them to death(no pun intended)and am heartbroken when they die.
I belong to a forum for cavies and I have heard so many horror stories about people have gp's and letting them breed however they want then end up with so many they can't cope and the animals end up sick because of the stress.

I firmly believe that the laws related to having pets should be much tighter than they are, not just here in Canada or in the US but all around the world.

going to talk to my babies now.
Posted By: barleychown Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 01:39 PM
Bless you, and thank you on behalf of all the animals you have helped, and are currently helping...

That being said...people who feel that animals are "just" animals have NO business owning pets. Every animal I have but Kricket were someone elses "throw-away"...way too sad.

Miss Abigail had been through six homes in ONE year before I adopted her. That's a new home every two months!!!

Now, as for your new feathered addition...it has been my experience that conures do better with a varied diet. I prefer a seed mix for small hookbills, and research some good fruit, nut, veggie, and protien choices. I cannot currently remember what we chose for ours...and currently I have a indian ringneck that was abused, and had a really terrible screaming problem until I started feeding a wide mix of foods.

Maybe Miss Cindy will have some suggestions??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 06:23 PM
How did their first night in their new home go? Did they rest well?

You are certainly an "Animals Angel"! kissies

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 07:42 PM
Topcat I agree laws need to be more strict but also Inforced.I used to raise guenea pigs too. All the laws in the world are not worth the paper they are printed on if not enforced. Around here the spca is over whelmed with this animal factory mind set. I am no hero or Angel when my wife was alive people would bring her and us the animals they found discarded knowing we would find homes for them. yeah right. Most lived the rest of their lives with us.We were called the dog people because of this. G-Mom so far everything seems ok Hunter would not sleep with me wanted me on the recliner sure and walk this morning I think not laugh He goes outside a lot I was told he wouldn't go at all reason for the solitare confinement. Don't know if it is because the others are in and out all the time or that he can if he wants to. No raised voices in this house at all. Trent now is still in bed other birds are used to being up between 4 and 5 if I havn't uncovered them or gotten up by that time they start in calling out until I uncover them. wolfman looked right at Trents cages while ago and said something that sounded like lazy. He hears me tell the dogs all the time they are lazy. Clyde now tried to make Trent play by crawling all over his cage and barking at him.
I just got Trents attention I checked his food and water dish took them out water was gone And not spilled when I got back he was standing there looking like what is going on put the water back in he took a big drink he must have been very dehydrated. Also food dish full of hulls refilled it and now he is eating . Thanks barleyvclown G-Mom. Afgrey and all for your input and advise I am looking at it all.
Will say he has already gotten on my hand this morning. Thank you all again.
Jimmy
Posted By: tkhooper Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 09:02 PM
Clyde is such a sweetie. I see he wants to play and make Trent feel welcome that is adorable. How is Laci taking to the new babies? Has she noticed them yet? It sounds like Trent is a wonderful bird and has managed to keep a sweet personality inspite of what he has gone through that's great. Wolfman thought he was being lazy huh? That is marvelous. I adore that.

Take care Jimmy and have a great day.
Posted By: Francine Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 10:10 PM
jimmy,

god bless you for those acts of the hart,and you ve got a big one.

what kind of man would not clean up pets ,specially before giving it to someone ,you should have hit him like you said or at least tell him a piece of your mind.

there ought to be a law for treating the owners the same way they traet their pets,unfortunately there are no such laws.

jimmy you are a very good man and thank you.
Posted By: barleychown Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 10:49 PM
Carrots and apple pieces are popular with my birds, as well as limited amounts of pasta, bread crust, beans, and eggs (gross, I know, but Duke LOVES them...)

I did a lot of readind on the net about feeding of parrots, and esp. of his breed, compiled a list of yes foods, no foods, and sometimes foods...

If you are intrested in the whole list, just let me know!
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 11:04 PM
Yes barley I am intersted and weould highly appreciate it. Have new photo's taken this mornign of this "mean" parrot no body could do anything with. I have found he was not given any attention he is trying to talk to me and the photo's I beleive will speak for themselves. If you yahoo have my webcam on right now.
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 11:08 PM
JV,
You are an angel here on earth for all your friends - my dd has 2 sun conures- one she bought from a breeder and has had since a baby- he is very vocal- and one I haven't met yet - she just got her - is about 9 yrs old , owner got sick and couldn't do for her anymore so my Teresa took her in- I agree about letting the former owners live in the same filth they let these poor creatures live in- should have to have a license to have the care of an animal- show you really know what you are doing-
Bless you Jimmy for all you do !
Nana
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 11:10 PM
Trent the nosey Parrot or is that pest. laugh
Adjusting my suspender strap.
[Linked Image]
Helping cut up Okra
[Linked Image]
giving his new daddy sugar
[Linked Image]
He hates glasses takes them off me.
You can see how mean he is.
Posted By: barleychown Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 11:16 PM
No yahoo...pics would be great though! He's a beautiful bird! Conures are not known for being nasty birds, just noisy! ;o)

Here's the foods list:

Yes foods:

Apples
Grapes
Bananas
Pears
Cherries
Mangos
Oranges
Papaya
Melons
Peaches
Berries
Cucumber
Broccoli
Carrots
Corn (no cobs!)
Peas
Zucchini
Green peppers (or red)
Fresh hot peppers
Spinach
Summer squash
Green beans
Parsley
Swiss chard
Dandelion greens
Pasta
Rice

No foods:
Avocado
Raw and green potatoes
None of the cabbage family
Grapefriut
Lemons
Plums
Rhubarb
Dried fruits treated with sulphur dioxide

Foods that are good in SMALL amounts:

Cottage cheese
Hard boiled egg
Unsalted peanuts
Unsalted pistachios
Cooked beans
Split peas
Lentils
Chicken
Fish
Dog food (no cat food)
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 11:40 PM
JV - that is a GORGEOUS bird! He is so very lucky to have found a wonderful friend in you. Thanks so much for looking out after these orphaned animals - you are very kind and special to share your love with them - I hope they reward you back with lots of love and affection and fond memories.
Posted By: jogger Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 11:43 PM
JV kissies It is just enough not to see any animal suffering that is our nemesis.
Funny l live in TRENT road, so maybe l can be an auntie to Trent thumbup
Have you any more photo's of the little Yorkie, she looks so sweet?
luv Doreen
Posted By: jogger Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 11:50 PM
P.S Barley will give you all the information you need. She is another animal lover.
Doreen.
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 7th, 2005 at 11:50 PM
Thanks so much Barlychown I copied and saved to my breifcase.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 12:16 AM
Isn't it amazing how good natured she is the first chance she was given? That is one personable bird. Has she found Clyde yet? Maybe this evening. I wonder what she will think of him. Think she will learn to bark back at him lol. You'll have to somehow get voice as well as pictures if they become friends.
Posted By: Meg Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 12:54 AM
Remember JV, when they say no avacodo, they also mean no guacamole. Some people forget that, and it's sad when they accidently poison thier birds.

He is so pretty! I just love the colors of the conures. I almost wanted one, but wow, they are loud! I don't know if I could handle that.. so I decided to just enjoy them from afar. wink

Meg
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 01:03 AM
He spent most of the morning on my shoulder even while I was fixing some lunch. Tk don't know if he will bark or not. He calls spot and when I walk he will say move because I tell the dogs to move so I can walk. Thought at one time he said love you probably my wanting him to. Loz was on webcam got a kick out of him taking my glasses off me and biting me when I tried to stop him. He seems to hate eye glasses for some reason. So far he has not been too loud if he can get over the love birds chatter he will be loud all right as they get so loud playing I can't hear TV or Radio. These are same lovebirds was put in a closet and had things thrown at them. Now they try to tease me a lot. I know they tell me jokes because they will sit on side of cage look at me and say stuff then both will die laughing so I am sure they are telling jokes . laugh
Posted By: Merme Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 01:49 AM
JV, I am so glad the new animals are doing well with you already. Isn't it amazing what love that inspires the proper treatment can do?

Fascinating to read of what the Sun Conure can eat, too. I've always been surprised by Lola's varied diet.

Maxi's parakeets were bred and raised initially by a large pet store chain and we have never been able to coax them into eating much of anything except commercially prepared mixed parakeet feed. Although we did discover they will nibble on some celery if it is room temperature and not chilled.

Long after we got these birds (Buttons and Ties), we were told we should have gotten them from a private breeder so they would have been taught to have a more varied diet and also be familiar with human hands. The birds enjoy chatting with us but get really SCARED when we put our hands in the cage. They fly around and scream in great alarm, poor little things.

Even so, if we are very quiet and keep our hand rather still, Buttons will step up onto a finger for a few minutes. He is the braver of the two.

It is funny, though. If we are a little late refilling their seed dish, Buttons will sit on it and raise a ruscus until one of us will turn around. Parakeets don't talk, of course, but they can still let us know stuff!

But oh! You should hear these pretty birds sing when the sun first start shining through the window not far from their cage! They sing and they sing, and they seem to really like it when Maxi joins in.

Please keep us posted on everyone's progress, JV.

Merme
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 03:10 AM
Jimmy,

So happy to hear that Trent did well this morning and is now at home with you all. He is so beautiful!
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 04:29 AM
Auntie Doreen Trent said he would be honored to have you as an Auntie. Thanks to all of you for your support and putting up with me and my animal rescue efforts. I have left his cage door open he wont come out. I have to get him on my hand and let him come up my arm. I hear him and Wolfman talking now in bird talk but they seem to understand each other. Everytime I try to take a photo of Hunter he ether hides or rolls up in a ball. But will keep trying.
Jimmy
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 06:40 AM
I firmly believe that the laws related to having pets should be much tighter than they are, not just here in Canada or in the US but all around the world.
Topcat...I agree.
I personally don't think anyone should have wild animals as pets...it promotes breeders to just crank them out like a factory just for money, and if you ever saw how parrots are captured in the wild to sell (to us greedy people in the United States) you'd cry your eyes out. It is just awful...
I saw a video of poachers catching African Greys to sell...and it broke my heart. luv

Jimmy...I'm so glad you got those "throw aways".
I know you have your hands full already, with all the other animals you have...but thank you for having room for two more.

Cindy
Posted By: Bestofour Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 07:01 AM
People can be so mean. I believe in hell and maybe they'll be treated there like they've treated their animals. 2 of our dogs were throw aways. One literally. Someone threw him out the car window.
Posted By: Merme Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 08:05 AM
Bestofour, I know what you mean about that. I the farming area where I grew up in PA, lots of city people would drive out to "the country" and toss animals out of car windows, figuring we'd take them in.

It was also a popular practice to drive dogs very far from home so they'd "lost" and not be able to find their way back, and be dropped off like so much litter on the roadway.

Sickening, really. I always wondered how they'd feel if someone just kicked them out of a car window alongside a road with nothing to eat or drink and no shelter or adequate clothing?!

Merme
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 09:23 AM
When we lived in south Texas east of Austin we rented a small 200 acre farm, People were always throwing out animals at one time we counted 28 dogs of all breeds including Afghan hounds that we were feeding only ones we brought was out St. Bernards,chihuahua's we raised. We did find homes for all of them finaly go the sheriff who was our friend to post a deputy out there they got 6 people in first night throwing out animals some were new born's that would have died. Laws are way too lax and not enforced most of the time. Here in Texas if your local county will give you a permit and your not in town you can have any exotic animal you can afford to buy. A lot of [people have african lions and tigers and all sorts of bears just because they can frown . A lot of local agencies have cracked down and are inspecting them closely looking for an excuse to jerk their permits and save the animals. Then of course there are the onse who have never bothered with a permit they are the ones need to put out of business for good.
Posted By: Meg Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 05:47 PM
How's the 2 new additions doing now? Trent is soooo purty!
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 06:45 PM
Gave Trent some fresh apple I keep for my sugar gliders and Iguanua's he almost took it out of my Hand. Meg I don't eat avocado's so no problem there. Hunter sits and cry's if I get out of his sight then he wants me to hold him. He wont sleep with me but took Mimi's pillow right beside my bed. Barley,Meg Cindy thank you all for your advise he has done exactly like you said he would. I did find out if he doesn't want to be fooled with he will push your hand away with his beak. He is trying to talk to me. As for as fingers in cage that doesn't happen no animal wants fingers poked at them by strangers I have found if you poke your finger at them that includes dogs they take defensive measures's. (a dog will bite you more often then not).That has been my experince just like useing a belt to potty train your toddler. All it does is scares them and wipes out any ground you may have gained.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 08:55 PM
Parakeets don't talk
I've got a surprise for you and Maxi... Teaching your Parakeet to talk

We had a Parakeet that we watched from the egg and were familiar with before we brought her home. We kept her wings clipped and she interacted with family constantly. We were quite amazed when she started talking! She had quite a vocabulary,stuff like..."whatcha doooin","don't you DARE",I'm starrrrving","MOM" and would call people "birdbrains" thumbup She was a very loving little bird(she turned out to be the runt of the nest),it broke our hearts when she passed thumbup

It breaks my heart to see an animal negleted,deserted or abused and as a result have had many animals in our home over the years. Some were just temporary(found good homes) and some were kept till their natural end.

I loved the pics,JV...please keep posting more!

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 09:18 PM
Parakeets definitely talk. Becareful what you say in front of them. My mother didn't understand about talking pets. She wanted to teach it to say Merry Christmas. What the bird learned was Merry crhistmas you son of a *****. And boy howdy was christmas fun around our house.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 09:36 PM
I have been very fortunate that Lola doesn't cuss like a sailor...especially after what she hears around here sometimes. shocked

A few years ago she said a pretty BAD word... frown
I ignored it...and changed the subject. She said it a few more times...oddly enough, only time she said it was when I was in the kitchen cooking. nutz lala
I kept ignoring it...and she stopped saying it, thank God.

I guess the worse thing she says now is, when she's yelling at Freckles, she'll say, "Freckles! Get DOWN! Get your a$$ down NOW!"

And, the other day she was on the arm of the chair, and dropped her treat she was eating...and said, "Well, crap!"...then she climbed down and picked it up.

Cindy
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 8th, 2005 at 10:01 PM
Well I am sure getting a lesson by reading this. I knew some birds talked but had no idea how extensive their language could be.
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 9th, 2005 at 04:41 PM
Good morning all. When I come home after being gone of course my dogs come to meet me barking. Wolfman will scream out sounds kinda like a bark of sorts and says pretty bird when I come in the house and pretty,pretty and the love birds have a greeting they give I can hear them from the drive. When I got in last night also heard Trent chime in after a couple of minutes. He was on side of his cage talking at me when I got in the house. wolfman was saying nite nite he wanted to be covered after all it was almost midnight. When I coverd him and the lovebords Trent went into his nest and said something that sounded a lot like nite nite. He is not the least bit afraid of me anymore. As for tlaking parakeets have had several was like a talkative kid couldn't shut them up. Thanks for putting up with me.
Jimmy
Posted By: Meg Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 9th, 2005 at 06:23 PM
Oh goodness, this is a nice thread. TK, I love your story of Merry Christmas! laugh

Cindy, Lola must be about the smartest bird ever, to have that kinda vocabulary, and know how to use it! laugh She never ceases to amaze me!

I never realized you get get parakeets to talk. They are so small, I didn't think they'd pick it up like that.

JV, I knew you'd have Trent's trust in no time. He looks so sweet. I'm glad he's coming along & getting along ok with the other family members.

Meg
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 9th, 2005 at 07:15 PM
Thanks Meg. I can't believe how well he is doing. Came out of his cage a little bit ago. I gave him some apple a little broccolie and a peice of acrrot. He loves the apple. I am finding out he is jealous. Wolfman always wants sugar (kiss)when I gave wolfman sugar Trent said something like sugar I went over he pulled at my glasses so I took them off. I ask if he wanted sugar he reached out very tenderly and gave me a peck on the cheek. Then he nibbled at my mustache. I do think he will be running this house before long. laugh I am a very proud pappy of all my babies and I sure like to brag. Will post photo's as I can get new and different one. Need Meg here she can get the best photo's.
Jimmy
Posted By: Meg Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 9th, 2005 at 07:19 PM
Awwwe, I wish I could be there to get the photos too. He is such a sweet little bird!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 9th, 2005 at 08:47 PM
Jimmy...
Glad to hear your new arrivals are settling in so well...I guess they think they've gone to heaven!

Cindy, Lola must be about the smartest bird ever, to have that kinda vocabulary, and know how to use it!
She can carry on a conversation with you...this morning she wouldn't eat anything I gave her...kept telling me she wanted a bite, then I'd give her an Avi-Cake, which she threw, then some cashews, which she threw...and she kept saying "I want a BITE!"
I said, "Well, WHAT DO YOU WANT?" and she told me an egg...so I scrambled an egg for her and she ate it. :rolleyes:

African Greys are the only parrot known to have cognitive speach...they don't just mimic...they know what they're saying. They have the mentality of about a 5 year old child.

She says something new to amaze me every single day...
The other morning when we had tuna for breakfast and I was opening the can, she yelled at the cat, "Keow Meow! Come here! It's tuna!"

Cindy
Posted By: Merme Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 9th, 2005 at 09:09 PM
Hi everyone ~ wavey

I regret I misspoke in a previous post when I said "parakeets don't talk". What I meant was THESE parakeets don't talk...they are one of the varities of parakeets that generally do not speak.

Yet when I was a kid, my maternal grandmother had another kind of parakeet that was much larger than the kind Maxi has. His name was Petey and he'd say a few words to us kids. His favorite thing to say was to call himself "Pretty Boy!" so us kids would laugh and feed him treats.

I forget the exact name of Maxi's parakeets, but they are very, very small birds who make a lovely chirp. They like to listen to water running and will chatter quite a bit then. They also like to hear us talking nearby and will try to join in. When they are upset about something, I will whistle for them and they calm down.

Merme
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 04:08 AM
Well when I got home this afternoon Wolfman and the lovebirds were calling at me Trent chimmed in . When I got in the house I said hi every some body and Trent did say hi. I opened his cage talking softly and he got on my hand came up my arm and started kissing me on the cheek and pulling neck hairs. Then I fixed a bologna sandwich and two hard fried egg sandwhich's sat down to check E-Mail and eat. Well one certain little Sun conure said bite and came down and took a bite of sandwich. so we had our first "shared" lunch. He wouldn't take a bite until I did then he would get a bite this way through all three sandwich's. At the last he had a piece of egg called out spot and dropped in right in front of spot. He watched to make sure spot got it. He calls Hunter the little Yorkie a lot. Trent is on my shoulder now has been trying to talk . I don't know if I created a feathered monster or an dining buddy. laugh
Merme not sure but what you describe Maxi as having sounds a lot like a Budgie. Small colorful and full of chatter. Mind you I could be wrong just what your discription sounds like. I have had several Parakeets over the years my sister raised them at one time. I also have had some Budgies and they sure make a lot of noise. Trent and myself are fixing to take a nap. Talk to everyone later.
Jimmy and Trent
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 04:13 AM
Jimmy,

Did I read correctly that Trent is already TALKING for you? Amazing! Goes to show you what a good environment will do for a pet!
Posted By: Meg Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 04:26 AM
Wow, did he ever bond with you, and quickly! That is so wonderful that he is doing so great in your care! I'm happy to have another forum buddy! wink thumbup

Meg
Posted By: Merme Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 04:29 AM
JV, isn't it amazing that this supposedly "vicious" bird who would "bite" the owner or handler is actually a sugar giving, lunch sharing community member?

Gee, he must really be dangerous if he likes to sit on your shoulder for kisses, eat some bologna and egg and try to help feed the other pets! Wow, I'd be scared! (NOT!)

Given half a chance, what else might this fine bird do!

Unfortunately, I can't yet take a photo to show you of Maxi's birds, but hopefully I will be getting a camera for my birthday next month. Then you can see what the kid has. We were told they were parakeets. Duh

Merme
Posted By: WyoMom Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 04:39 AM
Some people just have a gift for putting animals at ease. My youngest is that way. My best friends cat hates anyone touching it and usually runs off but she will stop and let my youngest pet her. She must sense that he would never hurt her. For a 2 year old he is very good with animals. He never pets them mena and will sit and talk to them. Our neighbor has a big friendly lab that about knocks you over with his happy tail. Cole just loves him even if he gets knocked down. Most kids would have a fit. I hope Cole grows up to care for animals just as much as you do JV.
We don't have pets (unless you count the fish) but when we get our dream house we will. I grew up on a ranch and want my kids to know the joy of having animal friends.
Posted By: Merme Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 05:05 AM
Nancy ~

thumbup

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 07:29 AM
Jimmy...Sounds like your new friend Trent is gonna be just like Lola! She eats all her meals on my shoulder...I hold her little plate up while I'm eating. She eats everything I eat...except, of course, the foods she's not supposed to have that were listed earlier. When I peel apples or carrots, etc. she "helps" :rolleyes: and I end up with apples all over the kitchen floor!
(Just make sure Trent doesn't eat the seeds out of apples) frown

Lola takes a shower with me everyday...but I don't know if that would go over with Trent yet. I started Lola in the shower with me as soon as I got her...when she was just a baby. I made her a perch that sits in the tub...

[Linked Image]

If I block the water from hitting her, like when I'm rinsing my hair, she tells me to move!

Sometimes she likes me to run a few inches in the tub so she can play in the water...
[Linked Image]

I'm glad you're enjoying your new "child"!
I sure enjoy mine! thumbup

Cindy
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 07:55 AM
I am amazed at how my new baby is doing just haveing trouble believeing him. Took my nap he was sitting in his open cage came right to me when I went over got on my shoulder. Cindy I don't think I will try the shower with him just yet. He is very loving and likes to give kisses. Hunter cries if I am out of his sight and Trent calls out Hunter. when I set in my recliner a while ago had Hunter in my lap and they loved on each other.Then he finally flew off made a round through the house came back to his cage and right back on my shoulder. This bird has no fear of the other animals. Trent is talking to me now while I type he watch's everything. Cindy I don't let any of my babies have seeds like that I core the apple and cut it up under Cyde's supervision and now under Trents also. Both take sample bite's to make sure everything is right. Merme I could be wrong about your parakeets from what you said I thought it sounded like Budgies. I have seen them sold for Parakeets before and yes I highly believe in useing Licensed dealers. If I find a dealer for african greys here I will get me a lola if I have to hock my right uh arm. I need to go feed the sugar gliders with Trents help. Thanks again for all the advise and input I am useing all of it.
Jimmy & Trent
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 08:14 AM
Well we fed the Gliders eveeryhting I did seems like he had a comment just wish I knew what it was. He does not liek apple sauce but loves apples had to have a piece of the gliders apple. Yes Merme this mean out of control biting bird is rubbing his head under my chin right now. He just never getas enough of loving on me.Cindy I held the sandwich's up to him after I took my bite. I have little blue plates I use for my Igauna's will use an extra for Trent to eat out of. Better go to store get some canned dog food for tomorrow. catch you all later. No Trent is not going looking for a vet to trim his wings my vet is good with horses and dogs and such but don't know how well he is at clipping wings.
Jimmy and Trent.
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 08:51 AM
Cindy, Oh those are great pics of Lola.

Jimmy, Keep the stories about Trent coming. I am already in love with that bird.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 10th, 2005 at 07:11 PM
Lola in the bathtub that is soooooo cute. I've had ferrets that loved the bath and shower but I didn't know birds would take to it that way. Although I know cockatoos are suppose to be misted everyday. Thanks for sharing that. I love learning about diferent animal needs even if I don't have one.
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 12th, 2005 at 04:34 AM
No stories just more Trent photo's they should speak for themselves. Trent is supervising all of this and editing for content he thinks.
Trent the thinker
[Linked Image]
Reading E-Mail
[Linked Image]
Darn Glasses I told you to take them off. since you wont I will.
laugh [Linked Image]
Posted By: Merme Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 12th, 2005 at 04:37 AM
Oh JV, these photos are wonderful!

Trent isn't just a pretty bird, he is a terrific bird, too!

Thanks so for sharing him with us!

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 12th, 2005 at 05:54 AM
Oh, Jimmy...your little buddy looks SO happy! thumbup
Sometimes by the end of the day she has worn me out from carrying her around on my shoulder all day long. :rolleyes:
As the day goes on, she seems to get heavier and heavier...and her toenails seems to get sharper and sharper... laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 12th, 2005 at 05:55 AM
Love the pics Jimmy.
Posted By: Merme Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 12th, 2005 at 07:22 AM
Hi JV ~ wavey

I just want you to know how much Maxi has been enjoying this tread. We read it together and talk everything over. He is quite fond of Lola too, and has been fascinated to notice some of the differences between the two birds. He too is hoping for more photos of Hunter and your other critters!

Afgrey ~ Is an african grey parrot the largest of the parrots as well as the smartest with cognitive speech?

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 12th, 2005 at 08:31 AM
Merme...show Maxi this picture of a Hyacinth Macaw
I think these are the biggest parrot...
They get over 40" long, and weigh about 2 1/2 POUNDS!
They are awesome!

Lola is a medium/large parrot...there are a lot of parrots larger than her. She doesn't even weigh a pound...I have to weigh her on a gram scale. She just FEELS like she weighs a ton after I carry her around all day! :rolleyes: laugh
Posted By: Merme Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 12th, 2005 at 08:57 AM
Afgrey ~ What a BEAUTIFUL bird that Hyacinth Macaw is! Oh, we so enjoyed seeing that picture. And we were wondering if a bird of that size in it's natural habitat would be a hunter of small rodents, etc? And wondering too, the differences in diet between birds in captivity and birds in the wild.

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 12:19 AM
WHERE IS JIMMY??????? Duh
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 01:15 AM
Went to Oklahoma Friday to watch youngest Grandson graduate for Basic Training in the Army. Was at Fort Sill. Enjoyed the ceremony and all the military hoopla. Of course Bryce was the most handsome there (did you really expect me to say anything else) laugh . Trip although not long only 3 hours each way sure took it's toll on me. BTW a Kia was not made for travel for old men. frown
Left here at 7:00 a m got back at 8:00 pm took pain meds and went to bed. Did not move until 2:30 this morning. But am home and resting.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 01:21 AM
I'm glad you had a safe trip. You must be very proud of him...didja get any pics?

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 01:32 AM
Jimmy...
I have a little Toyota pick-up...
...and YOUNG men can't stand to ride in it! laugh

It's perfect for me grinnnn
...but whoever has to sit on the passenger side has their knees up against the dash!
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 03:43 AM
by G-Mom
didja get any pics
yep got a few a lot did not come out someone stood up or walked in front as I snaped or was too dark. but did get a few. by afgreyparrot
I have a little Toyota pick-up...
...and YOUNG men can't stand to ride in it!

I know what you mean Cindy I have an 04 Ford Ranger Edge Extenda cab I can ride in it twice that distance and not hurt near as bad. But young Mike wanted to take his fugitive from the junk yard it's a 03 Kia he is a teen so a teens car are not for old men laugh and teen age boys don't like riding in small pickup's. laugh Oh well!!! That much more room for an animal p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 06:46 AM
I cannot stand to ride all cramped up...thank goodness George bought our van thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: JV Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 08:33 AM
G-Mom mine isn't cramped up my 6 ft 5 inch son can get in it and push seat back also seats will lay back like a recliner with that extra room on Ext cab has more room to push seat back. With my bad back and stiff no bending legs I can get in it and drive with ease. My sons say for a little pickup they were surprized how comfortable it is.
I can't even get in a regular cab Ranger, S-10 or Dakota.
G-Mom was you wanting to see some pics of Bryce and his battalion?
Jimmy
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 09:28 AM
We want pictures of EVERYTHING!

I love those pics of Trent! luv
Posted By: Anonymous Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 10:29 AM
I sure would! thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Triss Re: THROW AWAY PETS - August 14th, 2005 at 11:14 AM
Me too Jimmy. It is great you went and got to see him graduate. Glad you got a couple of care packages, on for you and one for Trent to make you both feel better!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]