This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#124177 August 7th, 2005 at 11:10 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Trent the nosey Parrot or is that pest. laugh
Adjusting my suspender strap.
[Linked Image]
Helping cut up Okra
[Linked Image]
giving his new daddy sugar
[Linked Image]
He hates glasses takes them off me.
You can see how mean he is.

#124178 August 7th, 2005 at 11:16 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
No yahoo...pics would be great though! He's a beautiful bird! Conures are not known for being nasty birds, just noisy! ;o)

Here's the foods list:

Yes foods:

Apples
Grapes
Bananas
Pears
Cherries
Mangos
Oranges
Papaya
Melons
Peaches
Berries
Cucumber
Broccoli
Carrots
Corn (no cobs!)
Peas
Zucchini
Green peppers (or red)
Fresh hot peppers
Spinach
Summer squash
Green beans
Parsley
Swiss chard
Dandelion greens
Pasta
Rice

No foods:
Avocado
Raw and green potatoes
None of the cabbage family
Grapefriut
Lemons
Plums
Rhubarb
Dried fruits treated with sulphur dioxide

Foods that are good in SMALL amounts:

Cottage cheese
Hard boiled egg
Unsalted peanuts
Unsalted pistachios
Cooked beans
Split peas
Lentils
Chicken
Fish
Dog food (no cat food)

#124179 August 7th, 2005 at 11:40 PM
JV - that is a GORGEOUS bird! He is so very lucky to have found a wonderful friend in you. Thanks so much for looking out after these orphaned animals - you are very kind and special to share your love with them - I hope they reward you back with lots of love and affection and fond memories.

#124180 August 7th, 2005 at 11:43 PM
J
J
JV kissies It is just enough not to see any animal suffering that is our nemesis.
Funny l live in TRENT road, so maybe l can be an auntie to Trent thumbup
Have you any more photo's of the little Yorkie, she looks so sweet?
luv Doreen

#124181 August 7th, 2005 at 11:50 PM
J
J
P.S Barley will give you all the information you need. She is another animal lover.
Doreen.

#124182 August 7th, 2005 at 11:50 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Thanks so much Barlychown I copied and saved to my breifcase.

#124183 August 8th, 2005 at 12:16 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Isn't it amazing how good natured she is the first chance she was given? That is one personable bird. Has she found Clyde yet? Maybe this evening. I wonder what she will think of him. Think she will learn to bark back at him lol. You'll have to somehow get voice as well as pictures if they become friends.

#124184 August 8th, 2005 at 12:54 AM
Meg Offline
Remember JV, when they say no avacodo, they also mean no guacamole. Some people forget that, and it's sad when they accidently poison thier birds.

He is so pretty! I just love the colors of the conures. I almost wanted one, but wow, they are loud! I don't know if I could handle that.. so I decided to just enjoy them from afar. wink

Meg

#124185 August 8th, 2005 at 01:03 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
He spent most of the morning on my shoulder even while I was fixing some lunch. Tk don't know if he will bark or not. He calls spot and when I walk he will say move because I tell the dogs to move so I can walk. Thought at one time he said love you probably my wanting him to. Loz was on webcam got a kick out of him taking my glasses off me and biting me when I tried to stop him. He seems to hate eye glasses for some reason. So far he has not been too loud if he can get over the love birds chatter he will be loud all right as they get so loud playing I can't hear TV or Radio. These are same lovebirds was put in a closet and had things thrown at them. Now they try to tease me a lot. I know they tell me jokes because they will sit on side of cage look at me and say stuff then both will die laughing so I am sure they are telling jokes . laugh

#124186 August 8th, 2005 at 01:49 AM
JV, I am so glad the new animals are doing well with you already. Isn't it amazing what love that inspires the proper treatment can do?

Fascinating to read of what the Sun Conure can eat, too. I've always been surprised by Lola's varied diet.

Maxi's parakeets were bred and raised initially by a large pet store chain and we have never been able to coax them into eating much of anything except commercially prepared mixed parakeet feed. Although we did discover they will nibble on some celery if it is room temperature and not chilled.

Long after we got these birds (Buttons and Ties), we were told we should have gotten them from a private breeder so they would have been taught to have a more varied diet and also be familiar with human hands. The birds enjoy chatting with us but get really SCARED when we put our hands in the cage. They fly around and scream in great alarm, poor little things.

Even so, if we are very quiet and keep our hand rather still, Buttons will step up onto a finger for a few minutes. He is the braver of the two.

It is funny, though. If we are a little late refilling their seed dish, Buttons will sit on it and raise a ruscus until one of us will turn around. Parakeets don't talk, of course, but they can still let us know stuff!

But oh! You should hear these pretty birds sing when the sun first start shining through the window not far from their cage! They sing and they sing, and they seem to really like it when Maxi joins in.

Please keep us posted on everyone's progress, JV.

Merme

#124187 August 8th, 2005 at 03:10 AM
Jimmy,

So happy to hear that Trent did well this morning and is now at home with you all. He is so beautiful!

#124188 August 8th, 2005 at 04:29 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Auntie Doreen Trent said he would be honored to have you as an Auntie. Thanks to all of you for your support and putting up with me and my animal rescue efforts. I have left his cage door open he wont come out. I have to get him on my hand and let him come up my arm. I hear him and Wolfman talking now in bird talk but they seem to understand each other. Everytime I try to take a photo of Hunter he ether hides or rolls up in a ball. But will keep trying.
Jimmy

#124189 August 8th, 2005 at 06:40 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I firmly believe that the laws related to having pets should be much tighter than they are, not just here in Canada or in the US but all around the world.
Topcat...I agree.
I personally don't think anyone should have wild animals as pets...it promotes breeders to just crank them out like a factory just for money, and if you ever saw how parrots are captured in the wild to sell (to us greedy people in the United States) you'd cry your eyes out. It is just awful...
I saw a video of poachers catching African Greys to sell...and it broke my heart. luv

Jimmy...I'm so glad you got those "throw aways".
I know you have your hands full already, with all the other animals you have...but thank you for having room for two more.

Cindy

#124190 August 8th, 2005 at 07:01 AM
People can be so mean. I believe in hell and maybe they'll be treated there like they've treated their animals. 2 of our dogs were throw aways. One literally. Someone threw him out the car window.

#124191 August 8th, 2005 at 08:05 AM
Bestofour, I know what you mean about that. I the farming area where I grew up in PA, lots of city people would drive out to "the country" and toss animals out of car windows, figuring we'd take them in.

It was also a popular practice to drive dogs very far from home so they'd "lost" and not be able to find their way back, and be dropped off like so much litter on the roadway.

Sickening, really. I always wondered how they'd feel if someone just kicked them out of a car window alongside a road with nothing to eat or drink and no shelter or adequate clothing?!

Merme

#124192 August 8th, 2005 at 09:23 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
When we lived in south Texas east of Austin we rented a small 200 acre farm, People were always throwing out animals at one time we counted 28 dogs of all breeds including Afghan hounds that we were feeding only ones we brought was out St. Bernards,chihuahua's we raised. We did find homes for all of them finaly go the sheriff who was our friend to post a deputy out there they got 6 people in first night throwing out animals some were new born's that would have died. Laws are way too lax and not enforced most of the time. Here in Texas if your local county will give you a permit and your not in town you can have any exotic animal you can afford to buy. A lot of [people have african lions and tigers and all sorts of bears just because they can frown . A lot of local agencies have cracked down and are inspecting them closely looking for an excuse to jerk their permits and save the animals. Then of course there are the onse who have never bothered with a permit they are the ones need to put out of business for good.

#124193 August 8th, 2005 at 05:47 PM
Meg Offline
How's the 2 new additions doing now? Trent is soooo purty!

#124194 August 8th, 2005 at 06:45 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Gave Trent some fresh apple I keep for my sugar gliders and Iguanua's he almost took it out of my Hand. Meg I don't eat avocado's so no problem there. Hunter sits and cry's if I get out of his sight then he wants me to hold him. He wont sleep with me but took Mimi's pillow right beside my bed. Barley,Meg Cindy thank you all for your advise he has done exactly like you said he would. I did find out if he doesn't want to be fooled with he will push your hand away with his beak. He is trying to talk to me. As for as fingers in cage that doesn't happen no animal wants fingers poked at them by strangers I have found if you poke your finger at them that includes dogs they take defensive measures's. (a dog will bite you more often then not).That has been my experince just like useing a belt to potty train your toddler. All it does is scares them and wipes out any ground you may have gained.

#124195 August 8th, 2005 at 08:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parakeets don't talk
I've got a surprise for you and Maxi... Teaching your Parakeet to talk

We had a Parakeet that we watched from the egg and were familiar with before we brought her home. We kept her wings clipped and she interacted with family constantly. We were quite amazed when she started talking! She had quite a vocabulary,stuff like..."whatcha doooin","don't you DARE",I'm starrrrving","MOM" and would call people "birdbrains" thumbup She was a very loving little bird(she turned out to be the runt of the nest),it broke our hearts when she passed thumbup

It breaks my heart to see an animal negleted,deserted or abused and as a result have had many animals in our home over the years. Some were just temporary(found good homes) and some were kept till their natural end.

I loved the pics,JV...please keep posting more!

G-Mom grinnnn

#124196 August 8th, 2005 at 09:18 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Parakeets definitely talk. Becareful what you say in front of them. My mother didn't understand about talking pets. She wanted to teach it to say Merry Christmas. What the bird learned was Merry crhistmas you son of a *****. And boy howdy was christmas fun around our house.

#124197 August 8th, 2005 at 09:36 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I have been very fortunate that Lola doesn't cuss like a sailor...especially after what she hears around here sometimes. shocked

A few years ago she said a pretty BAD word... frown
I ignored it...and changed the subject. She said it a few more times...oddly enough, only time she said it was when I was in the kitchen cooking. nutz lala
I kept ignoring it...and she stopped saying it, thank God.

I guess the worse thing she says now is, when she's yelling at Freckles, she'll say, "Freckles! Get DOWN! Get your a$$ down NOW!"

And, the other day she was on the arm of the chair, and dropped her treat she was eating...and said, "Well, crap!"...then she climbed down and picked it up.

Cindy

#124198 August 8th, 2005 at 10:01 PM
Well I am sure getting a lesson by reading this. I knew some birds talked but had no idea how extensive their language could be.

#124199 August 9th, 2005 at 04:41 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Good morning all. When I come home after being gone of course my dogs come to meet me barking. Wolfman will scream out sounds kinda like a bark of sorts and says pretty bird when I come in the house and pretty,pretty and the love birds have a greeting they give I can hear them from the drive. When I got in last night also heard Trent chime in after a couple of minutes. He was on side of his cage talking at me when I got in the house. wolfman was saying nite nite he wanted to be covered after all it was almost midnight. When I coverd him and the lovebords Trent went into his nest and said something that sounded a lot like nite nite. He is not the least bit afraid of me anymore. As for tlaking parakeets have had several was like a talkative kid couldn't shut them up. Thanks for putting up with me.
Jimmy

#124200 August 9th, 2005 at 06:23 PM
Meg Offline
Oh goodness, this is a nice thread. TK, I love your story of Merry Christmas! laugh

Cindy, Lola must be about the smartest bird ever, to have that kinda vocabulary, and know how to use it! laugh She never ceases to amaze me!

I never realized you get get parakeets to talk. They are so small, I didn't think they'd pick it up like that.

JV, I knew you'd have Trent's trust in no time. He looks so sweet. I'm glad he's coming along & getting along ok with the other family members.

Meg

#124201 August 9th, 2005 at 07:15 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Thanks Meg. I can't believe how well he is doing. Came out of his cage a little bit ago. I gave him some apple a little broccolie and a peice of acrrot. He loves the apple. I am finding out he is jealous. Wolfman always wants sugar (kiss)when I gave wolfman sugar Trent said something like sugar I went over he pulled at my glasses so I took them off. I ask if he wanted sugar he reached out very tenderly and gave me a peck on the cheek. Then he nibbled at my mustache. I do think he will be running this house before long. laugh I am a very proud pappy of all my babies and I sure like to brag. Will post photo's as I can get new and different one. Need Meg here she can get the best photo's.
Jimmy

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard