This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#105278 November 12th, 2004 at 09:41 PM
Kareena Offline OP
OP Offline
As most of you may realize G-mom has not been posting much in the last few days. Also most of you may realize I am her oldest daughter. shk Right now Karen is at the hospital with her youngess- Melissa. Missy has strep throat, the antibiotics have not been working. Also Missy started getting symptoms of the flu. shk shk She has a high fever, (103ish) still has the strep, some kind of infection and the Drs. do not have absoutly no idea what is wrong. They ( the Drs) are calling in Specalist to look at Missy. I will try to keep you updated. Or PM me.

Gardendaughter

#105279 November 12th, 2004 at 09:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope everything goes okay with your sister! Big prayers for her! I wonder if it could be Mono?????? Duh Being in the hospital is absolutely no fun at all. But it at least she's in the right place to get better.

Tell your mom we miss her, and hope that she's back soon.....but to take her time and be there for your sis!

laura

#105280 November 12th, 2004 at 10:08 PM
Kareena Offline OP
OP Offline
Its not mono. Missy has been tested for everything, and the DRS are still stumped. I will let her and Gmom know. Thank you. kissies

#105281 November 12th, 2004 at 10:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this G-daughter, tell Mom to take care, and get her rest , too. Having your child sick or in pain is one of the worst things for a momma. ters sca

#105282 November 12th, 2004 at 10:54 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Kareena,
Thanks for posting this to let us know what's going on.

Tell G-Mom I'm sending prayers...
...and plenty of kissies

Cindy

#105283 November 12th, 2004 at 11:13 PM
Kareena Offline OP
OP Offline
Yall are gonna make me cry!! ters

#105284 November 12th, 2004 at 11:27 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Sending Karen and Missy big hugs and many prayers angell angell angell
Thank you Kareena for keeping us updated.
How old is Missy?
Catlover

#105285 November 12th, 2004 at 11:59 PM
Kareena Offline OP
OP Offline
She turned 12 in october. I will let them know that all of you have been so concerned. Thank you! kissies kissies kissies

#105286 November 13th, 2004 at 12:01 AM
Sending positive thoughts to G-mom and your sister!

#105287 November 13th, 2004 at 12:20 AM
Love and prayers for all of you

kissies

Merme

#105288 November 13th, 2004 at 02:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the well wishes ya'll kissies

Here's what's up..

2 weeks ago Missy was diagnosed with Strept throat,she had a full course of antibiotics and we thought she was better. Wednesday she started running a low fever and was "tossing her cookies"...We thought it was just a stomach bug...This morning she spiked 104.6 degrees and was complaining of a stiff neck,headache and sore throat. We went back to the ER after initial tests the Dr said he thought it was an antibiotic resistant infection. He proceeded to call in 2 more Drs,after more tests they brought up the thought that it was her body that was resistant to the antibiotics. They then called the chief of Pediatrics. They know she has a massive infection because her white blood cell count was 20,000. They ended up injecting some major doses of antibiotics and sending her home with VERY strict instructions...watch for bleeding in the throat,labored breathing and rashes. We take her back Monday.
I happened to over hear one of the Drs arguing on the phone about needing to admit somebody for proper treatment but couldn't because they didn't have insurance...I highly suspect that was Missy as we have no insurance right now. When she was released her temperature was 102.5.

I've got her propped up on the couch in the living room with her favorite stuffed tiger. She looks soooo miserable and I feel so bad for her. I'm not really comfortable with her treatment after hearing that Dr on the phone. I'm gonna be sticking right by her,sleeping on the love seat UGH!(I'm short...BUT not that short)

Thanks again kissies

G-Mom grinnnn

#105289 November 13th, 2004 at 02:49 AM
Oh, honey, I feel for you, been there with mine before and it scares you to death, you just want to be the one sick , not your lil baby.....Nothing to do but rest for her and rest for YOU too! Keep us posted we're all praying for a speedy recovery! angell

#105290 November 13th, 2004 at 03:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
love, prayers, and please keep us posted

#105291 November 13th, 2004 at 04:11 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
G~mom,
I know what you're going thru, my oldest never had a regular fever, it was 104*'s mad or nothing at all...
Scares you an inch away from death, and you're afraid to take your eyes off of them...was afraid he'd stop breathing or something....
I used to have to pull out the pull out couch and sleep right next to him.....
Cold wash clothe on the forhead *every so many minutes, cool it off again in ice water*,
half juice and half cold water to drink to keep liquids in him, tylenol for the fever and cool clothing...
I'd be awake allllllllllllllllllllllll night!!!!

I hope they find out what's happenin' real soon, and alllllllll is back to okay with little G~daughter!!!!

Sending many kissies cool to you both!!!!

Weezie

Kareena, Thanks for letting us know gab we appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!

#105292 November 13th, 2004 at 04:31 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
needing to admit somebody for proper treatment but couldn't because they didn't have insurance...I highly suspect that was Missy as we have no insurance right now.
Hospitals are NOT supposed to treat you any different if you don't have insurance.

mad

The local hospital here is very good about that. When I had my hysterectomy awhile back, they didn't ask for any money up front or treat me any different because I didn't have insurance.

Hope Missy gets better fast.

angell angell angell angell angell

Cindy

#105293 November 13th, 2004 at 04:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
actually, also, there is a law (federal i believe) that says that any doctor that sees any patient in the hospital has to follow up and treat that patient, regardless of ability to pay, until the patient is well, or declared unable to get well by another physician. my daughter works in a doctor's office and i thought it was just here, but then a friend and i were talking and his wife works in a different state, and it is the same there.

#105294 November 13th, 2004 at 04:42 AM
Meg Offline
{{{Missy & Karen}}} I sure do hope they are able to figure out what it is that is doing this. Resistant to antibiotics is very scary. My thoughts & prayers with your family.

Meg

#105295 November 13th, 2004 at 07:31 AM

I happened to over hear one of the Drs arguing on the phone about needing to admit somebody for proper treatment but couldn't because they didn't have insurance...
God, that's scary. And doesn't that completely go against the Hippocratic oath?

Sounds like you have a couple of very long nights ahead of you. Glad her fever's down. 104 is terrifying, esp in an older child. I hope she gets better SOON G-mom.

#105296 November 13th, 2004 at 06:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Inpatient treatment or home treatment were both options...I think they just went with the cheapest one...Just because 1 Dr. wanted to admit her doesn't mean the other ones agreed.

I do know that when I called her regular Dr.(6 years now,but always had insurance,never asked for a penny) to see if they would fit her in...I was told by the office that they couldn't see her unless I paid $70.00 up front...they said if I couldn't pay for the office visit then just go to the E.R.

Its not the Drs its the politics.

She woke up at 2am,crying and shivering,finally got her back to sleep around 4am. Fever seems to be stabilizing at 102 degrees.

G-Mom [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#105297 November 13th, 2004 at 06:14 PM
G-mom ~

I hope Missy feels much better very soon, and that she and you are able to get much needed rest.

My kids also tend to run very high fevers when they are sick, so I do know the fear you experienced. One time, when my son was 2 and we were living with my parents at the time, everyone including my husband went to a Jets football game. While I was home alone with my son, he ran 105 all of a sudden and was very limp. I called the dr immediately, who was not on call that Sunday of course. The covering dr did not return my call until an hour later - gee thanks! In the meantime, I had found some Italian ices in the freezer and force fed them to my son - by the time the dr. called, his fever was almost normal and he was whistling while I was on the phone, so of course the dr. thought nothing was wrong! mad mad mad We found out the next day at the regular dr's that he also had Strep throat.

#105298 November 13th, 2004 at 07:33 PM
G~MOM

My prayers go out to you and your Missy. I too have daughters (9 and 4), and I know i panic every time they run fevers. After reading what you are going thru with your medical situation, I can't help but shake my head. Living up here in Canada, I have no Idea what that must be like, but how dare they put $$ before a childs health???
I do not want to add to your worry, but have they tested her for meningitis? As soon as I hear "stiff neck" my heart plummets to the floor. My oldest just went thru this whole stiff neck thing, and it scared the socks off me, but she didn't have any of the other symptoms. (fever, lethargy, vomiting, sensitivity to light, etc,), but we have this wonderful new service called "Telehealth", and it's a 1-800 # open 24/7 to a Registered Nurse who assesses you over the phone, which is great for saving you trips to the ER at 2 in the morning...should be mandatory nation-wide frown I earnestly pray she is better soon...and rest assured you have alot of people praying for you and Missy. God is good angell
Many thoughts and prayers,
Michelle<><

#105299 November 13th, 2004 at 07:36 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My oldest is like that,
High fever 104's all day, flat out on the pullout, and the next day, up jumpin' on the furniture..
While you're still tried from NO frown Duh

Weezie

#105300 November 13th, 2004 at 07:38 PM
SSSOOOOO TRUE!!!
(and no sympathy for the pooped mommies or daddies frown grinnnn
Michelle<><

#105301 November 13th, 2004 at 07:48 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Gotta luv the little buggers though!!
That's why GOD made those babies sooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuteeeeeeeeeee

So you'll fall head over heals~helplessly in
LOVE with them, so when they get older and turn
into furniture jumpin', wall crawlin', sticky faced, etc. "KIDS" we'll still be so helplessly
in love with them, we won't bounce 'em out on their ears!!! Or duct tape 'em to the walls or sell 'em., or take them out for a car ride and leave 'em, or er, uh, um, I got a little carried away there didn't I??? shocked wink laugh

Weezie

#105302 November 13th, 2004 at 07:57 PM
you mean we're NOT supposed to duct tape them to the wall???????? laugh
Just Kidding!
Ahhhhhh....without kids or Jesus, my life would not have much purpose eh? cool smile
Michelle<>< angell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard