A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: ChristinaC My Mess!!! - July 23rd, 2006 at 09:22 AM
ugh..my garden is a disaster! It's so strange how I keep up such an immaculate home..I'm a clean freak..most say I'm obsessive compulsive about it..but when it comes to my garden..a mess! I can't tell where something starts and something ends..I just kept planting..thinking..."oh..I have room". What a pain in the rear to weed!!! I have to tiptoe around everything. Does anyone else have this same problem? I see pics of people's gardens that are spaced out so beautifully...lots of room to walk between the rows, etc..I wish! I need help!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Atleast my herb row is well spaced out:

[Linked Image]

I am definitely expanding my garden atleast twice the size for next year!!!
Posted By: Longy Re: My Mess!!! - July 23rd, 2006 at 10:59 AM
For what it's worth Christina, i reckon the vegies look great. Because they are so densely planted, there is little room for weed competition. I see you squeezed marigolds into spaces and everything looks really healthy. It's about growing lots of fresh vegies, not about how it looks. Keep going just as you are!
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: My Mess!!! - July 23rd, 2006 at 11:00 AM
Christina, I don't think I've ever been happier to read a post before. I am terrible at spacing out my garden. I keep thinking "hey there is some dirt! What can I put there!" But I got an alfalfa bale and I'm working on putting it down as mulch, instead of planting every square inch of garden! This way I'm still playing in my garden but not planting.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: My Mess!!! - July 23rd, 2006 at 11:04 AM
I am terrible at spacing too. some of my stuff is over crowded and some is sparse. I just can't seem to get it write. And I've read all the spacing tables. It just looks bare when I follow those with my seedlings so I plant closer and then some of the plants die because they don't have room and then I end up without enough to make it full.

The zinnias even pulled away from one another to leave me a bald spot right in the middle of the bed. Grrrh.

If you come up with a solution for those of use who are "space" challenged let me know please.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: My Mess!!! - July 23rd, 2006 at 11:46 AM
"space" challenged
Hooper...you're a hoot!
Maybe someday we'll learn. thumbup
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: My Mess!!! - July 23rd, 2006 at 12:50 PM
Here's another view. Look how close together everything is! laugh nutz

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Longy Re: My Mess!!! - July 23rd, 2006 at 08:16 PM
Look how close together everything is!
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Yeah but look how healthy it is. Keep it going. It's a beautiful garden.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: My Mess!!! - July 23rd, 2006 at 08:40 PM
Christina, I think everything looks beautiful thumbup so I don't really see any problem with it. Everything looks so big and healthy, so it seems to me that you've done a great job! clp Enjoy your success and don't worry so much! frown
Posted By: tamara Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 01:16 AM
Looks like my garden also. Everytime I expand for more room, I end up planting in it as well. I can't even walk between the rows right now. Mind you everything is healthy and growing well. Looks great. Keep it up.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 01:21 AM
Thank-you everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I haven't posted pics in so long because I was a little embarassed.

Tamara..that's kinda' funny about expanding, then just filling it up just the same. I have a feeling I'll end up doing the same. thumbup
Posted By: Amigatec Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 03:07 AM
Mine has so much grass growing I am embarrassed to show it. I have the times set to water twice daily and I am going to reset it to water every 2 days.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 03:15 AM
Ah, I have such limited space in mine..
It's a wonder you can even see it by fall time..

Right now, my butter nut squashes are running rampid... and I run out of room for everything,
I even plant lettuce under vining crops on hoops,
so I can double my space..

Ther'es never enough room in a veggie garden..
(I even had to till up part of my old garden *in the ground* to put the over spillage of plants this year)

Although, tomatoes are the one thing I try NOT to over plant.. I have learned my lesson, because of the wilt.. so the more I space them the better they and I are for it..
*and I've found the less I handle them the better they are for it too*
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 06:49 AM
Christina, I'm one of those straight and clean row gals, but let me share a little secret. I have to let weeds grow too, I just can't keep up with pulling them all out. Duh

Your garden looks beautiful and healthy, but most important is you accomplished something and its good. thumbup laugh thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 07:39 AM
Christina, I honestly wish I had your "problem". Your garden looks absolutely beautiful! So full and healthy!
Posted By: Sorellina Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
Ciao Christina,

I'm very impressed that you were able to get your cabbage to head. Ours always looks like it's trying to be a form of Romaine, never heads. I think if we grow Brassicas in the future, it's definitely time to acquire a bunny for Munchkin. Broccoli never heads either. I must be Brassica-challenged or something, lol.

Cheers,
Julianna
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 08:31 AM
Christina, all I can say is, wow ! Gorgeous !
Are ya sneakin' in pictures from a magazine on us??? laugh grinnnn
Posted By: weezie13 Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Sorellina:
I'm very impressed that you were able to get your cabbage to head.
Mine have been eaten by green cabbage worms,
I'd say at least 3 times, and today was the 3rd time the Woodchucks' got after them..
*broccoli's too*
Neither of mine resemble anything but "Swiss Cheese" mad frown :p
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Sorellina:
I'm very impressed that you were able to get your cabbage to head.
Those are brussel sprouts. thumbup
Posted By: johnCT Re: My Mess!!! - July 24th, 2006 at 11:36 PM
Where are you gonna put all the heirloom tomatoes next year?! Duh thumbup
Posted By: johnCT Re: My Mess!!! - July 25th, 2006 at 12:01 AM
Weezie, thanks. Tried to PM you, but as usual, your mailbox is full. laugh kissies
Posted By: weezie13 Re: My Mess!!! - July 25th, 2006 at 12:49 AM
Duh grinnnn
Posted By: comfrey Re: My Mess!!! - July 26th, 2006 at 03:58 AM
Your garden looks great Christina! Like someone else said...less room for weeds to grow. Here is what mine looked like July 11: [Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: My Mess!!! - July 26th, 2006 at 04:30 AM
I love that garden Comfrey!!!
It's AWESOME LOOKING...

*and I want that fence!! eek eek eek ters ters ters *
Posted By: johnCT Re: My Mess!!! - July 26th, 2006 at 04:55 AM
Good to see ya posting again Comfrey. Your garden looks terrific.....but shouldn't the tomatoes be in the foreground and everything else be in the background? Duh p
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: My Mess!!! - July 26th, 2006 at 05:37 AM
Looks great Comfrey!! thumbup thumbup
Posted By: comfrey Re: My Mess!!! - July 26th, 2006 at 05:42 AM
Originally posted by johnCT:
but shouldn't the tomatoes be in the foreground and everything else be in the background? Duh p
LOL...I took a picture of the tomato plants in the front of the picture, but it only showed them and nothing else..this is an in general picture of my garden.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: My Mess!!! - July 26th, 2006 at 07:02 AM
I see pics of people's gardens that are spaced out so beautifully...lots of room to walk between the rows, etc..I wish!
Comfrey's garden is exactly what I was talking about in this quote. Isn't it gorgeous?! kissies
(BTW Comfrey..b/f buggin' me again yesterday about when we're going to see you. thumbup )
Posted By: comfrey Re: My Mess!!! - July 26th, 2006 at 07:43 AM
I knew there was a reason I like you Christina...You always know the best things to say to make a person feel good. Thank You!!!

Weezie...the fence is dog pen fencing and is cheaper then most other types of fencing, plus with the smaller openings..it keeps out alittle more.

I have had many gardens that were crowded up, and tip toed around between plants and I hate it, so that is one reason I always plan my garden on paper every winter to allow for room to walk and move around, plus with my little cultivator, I will plan better next season so it will fit down all of the rows. This is the first year you can actually walk down between the tomato plant rows and pick them without having to reach through tomato plants to get to another plant laugh

So gardening no matter how experienced you are is always a learning process and each of us try to improve upon the previous year/years. Just like Christina stated..She is having a bigger garden next year laugh laugh More room for weeds to grow wink
Posted By: Sorellina Re: My Mess!!! - July 27th, 2006 at 12:55 PM
Ciao John,

Hey you, what's going on with your awesome raised beds you made this year all by your lil self? Let's see a recent pic of your garden!

Cheers,
Julianna
Posted By: johnCT Re: My Mess!!! - July 27th, 2006 at 11:41 PM
Originally posted by comfrey:
Just like Christina stated..She is having a bigger garden next year laugh laugh More room for weeds to grow wink
....and heirloom tomatoes! wink

Well said Comfrey.

Julianna, I'll take some new pics today or tomorrow and post them. Everything's doing real well. A few spots of disease that I'm trying to keep up on, but most plants are thriving. Ya know, I'm glad I took your advice and put a six foot cage on ARGG. That bad girl is now at six and a half feet and still going! Still nothing else showing color except the four I've already tried. Should be harvesting my first lime green salad in the next few days though.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: My Mess!!! - July 28th, 2006 at 01:18 AM
so that is one reason I always plan my garden on paper every winter to allow for room to walk and move around,
Yes..I do the same thing. Guess it didn't work for me this year..or last year...or the year before that, or the year before that, or the... laugh nutz
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]