A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: plants 'n pots verbena and hydrangea - July 15th, 2004 at 07:00 PM
Another bright picture to share after 2 days of rain.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: verbena and hydrangea - July 16th, 2004 at 04:56 AM
Thanks! This is the 2nd year I've planted the verbena around this hydrangea and they just keep getting better and better. I only wish the verbena was perennial here...
Posted By: Bestofour Re: verbena and hydrangea - July 16th, 2004 at 07:02 PM
That is so pretty. Is that in full sun? Do you have a difficult time controlling the verbena? As you can probably tell I'm thinking I want to do this too.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: verbena and hydrangea - July 16th, 2004 at 10:11 PM
Sheri ~

This area gets full sun all day long.
I don't have trouble controlling the verbena...

BUT...
I DO have trouble controlling
my husband with the weedwacker around the verbena!!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Barb H. Re: verbena and hydrangea - August 2nd, 2004 at 04:16 PM
Lynne,

I love the verbena/hydrangea mix. I am going to try it next year. My neighbor has a hanging basket filled with verbena and it is just glorious! LOL...my plantings are starting to look ragtag....and here my neighbor is with a gorgeous display! shocked

barb h
Posted By: just gladys Re: verbena and hydrangea - August 3rd, 2004 at 06:37 PM
Does verbena do well in all shade? I really need some flowering types for all shade areas besides impatients........?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: verbena and hydrangea - August 4th, 2004 at 03:32 AM
Sheri... as the summer wanes on, my verbena is getting leggy, and some of it has that darn white mold! The only thing I can do for that is cut out the moldy areas...

I try really hard to dead head as often as I can - this helps it from getting tooooo leggy too.

Gladys... I don't know how verbena will do in the shade - mine are in all day direct sun.
Sorry I can't help you with shades plants at this time - I don't have any shade gardens right now - but I am putting one in soon, so I'll let you know if I come up with any great flowering plants. thumbup
Posted By: Gerrie Re: verbena and hydrangea - August 5th, 2004 at 02:28 AM
Hi everyone. I'm a new member and I too love verbena, but I also have a problem with powdery mildew and the bottom leaves wilting. I tried propping up the verbena on a small trellis and that seemed to help. (Someone mentioned that verbena wasn't a perennial - I thought verbena vervain was a perennial. I'm in Zone 6 and that's what I have planted in my flower bed. I hope it comes back next year. I have the annual version of verbena in some hanging baskets with petunias and they looked great in June and halfway through July, but by now they look pitiful.

To Gladys who asked for some shade plants - I just started a garden with mostly shade during the day and I planted Columbine, Helleborus, Astilbe, Japanese Anemone and Lamium Maculatum. So far so good, but it's only been growing since the beginning of June.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]