A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Jeff Gates pruning &propagating a crown of thorns plant. - January 1st, 2003 at 07:08 PM
Thanks for taking the time to look at my post. Hopefully someone can help.
I have had this crown of thorns for about 6 years, it is now getting kind of tall with the midsection to top of the plant having leaves. I would like to trim it back and root the cuttings. How do I do that? Also, on the parent plant, will new shoots come out of the stems and continue to grow. Or will I kill it? Thanks for your help. confused
Posted By: Anonymous Re: pruning &propagating a crown of thorns plant. - January 2nd, 2003 at 04:16 PM
Hi Jeffrey,

Yes, you can prune back your crown of thorns. New growth will emerge just below the point where you cut the stems back to.

Three inch tip cuttings can be propagated by letting the cut tips dry over night in the open air. Then insert them a bit into a very porous, slightly damp potting mix. Provide warm temps (70 - 75 degrees) and bright, but indirect light until the roots are well established.
Posted By: Bill Re: pruning &propagating a crown of thorns plant. - July 23rd, 2012 at 07:43 PM
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/crownofthorns.htm
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]