A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: dodge rubbing alchol - March 23rd, 2006 at 10:24 AM
Just wondered if you know you can clean off your computer keyboard snd glass with Rubbing Alchol. Even the desk, can be cleaned that way.. Alchol is cheap and leans furniture, glass and lots of other things.....
I also use vinegar for windows and chrome..

shocked
dodge
Posted By: patches1414 Re: rubbing alchol - March 23rd, 2006 at 01:04 PM
Hey Dodge, I just used it on my computer sreen and it did a wonderful job. Duh My computer desk is wood, will it harm that? Duh

Thanks for the great tip! kit
Posted By: dodge Re: rubbing alchol - April 26th, 2006 at 11:56 AM
PATCHES,

YOU CAN USE IT ON YOU TV, AND ALSO ON THE WOOD.
KNOW WHY?
THEY USE IT BECAUSE IT EVAPORATES QUICKLY AND WONT HARM A THING..I USE IT ..
SHINES NICELY HUH?

LEARNED THAT ONE DAY IN COMPUTER CLASSES.
BET IT WORK GOOD ON PIANO KEYS ALSO.. NO YELLOWING..;o0

DODGE
Posted By: patches1414 Re: rubbing alchol - April 26th, 2006 at 08:20 PM
Thanks Dodge! thumbup I'm anxious to try it! wink

patches kit
Posted By: kyjoy Re: rubbing alchol - April 30th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
I read somewhere you can put your keyboard in the dish washer, however, I'm afraid to try it.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: rubbing alchol - April 30th, 2006 at 09:24 PM
I think I'll pass on that one! frown frown frown frown
Posted By: melcon6 Re: rubbing alchol - April 30th, 2006 at 10:53 PM
Originally posted by kyjoy:
I read somewhere you can put your keyboard in the dish washer, however, I'm afraid to try it.
ABSOLUTELY NOT!! frown

I also use the alcohol to clean contacts on my video games, keyboard, phones anything electronic. thumbup
Posted By: patches1414 Re: rubbing alchol - May 1st, 2006 at 05:03 PM
Thanks melcon! muggs I have enough trouble with my computer without inviting more! eek
Posted By: dodge Re: rubbing alchol - May 3rd, 2006 at 12:26 PM
That is not true..........Putting it in the dishwasher....

They say you can ruin it completely, just by spilling liquid on your keyboard.....Someone is an idiot to suggest that.

Dodge
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: rubbing alchol - May 4th, 2006 at 02:05 PM
I have always added a snort of rubbing alcohol to the bottle of Windex. No more streaks EVER, plus, wouldn't it be disinfecting whatever you were cleaning? Not sure about that part, but I'm a huge fan of putting alcohol in Windex.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: rubbing alchol - May 4th, 2006 at 05:23 PM
Thanks Deborah! thumbup It sounds like a good idea! idea
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: rubbing alchol - May 13th, 2006 at 12:34 PM
Thanks, Patches. BTW, I love your signature ! Way to go !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: rubbing alchol - May 13th, 2006 at 01:06 PM
Wow, great tip with the rubbing alcohol!!! I'm going to be trying it out myself! thumbup
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: rubbing alchol - May 13th, 2006 at 02:32 PM
Thanks ! It's a winner !
Posted By: patches1414 Re: rubbing alchol - May 13th, 2006 at 03:36 PM
Deborah, that's my "Boogie Bear" kissies
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: rubbing alchol - May 14th, 2006 at 04:00 AM
I meant your prayer, but Boogie's nice too ! clp
Posted By: flycats Re: rubbing alchol - August 8th, 2006 at 08:32 AM
Rubbing alcohol also works GREAT for spot treating carpets. it evaporates quickly and does not change the color.
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: rubbing alchol - August 8th, 2006 at 09:06 AM
Some computer monitor screens have an "anti-glare" finish and should not be cleaned with alcohol, Windex, etc. Just a slightly moist, very soft cloth.

As for putting a filthy keyboard in the dishwasher, that too can be done safely. I've never done it personally but I know several people that have and were very pleased with the results.

Put the keyboard in the dishwasher by itself, turned upside down and run on Light Wash. Be sure to turn off the Dry cycle. After the wash is complete, set the keyboard (still upside down) somewhere to completely dry for several days.

Do a Google search for "clean pc keyboard in dishwasher" and read a few of the thousands of links. Cleaning an old, gunky keyboard this way versus spilling a liquid in the keyboard while it's plugged into the computer and the computer is running are two entirely different cases.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: rubbing alchol - August 8th, 2006 at 10:55 AM
Thanks Rosie! thumbup
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: rubbing alchol - August 8th, 2006 at 11:31 AM
Patti, I keep a spare keyboard and mouse at all times. You just never know when you might need one or the other. wink
Posted By: patches1414 Re: rubbing alchol - August 8th, 2006 at 11:39 AM
Oh Rosie, I know learned that years ago when I was typing up a paper for school that was due the next day. It was late so I had a cup of coffee to keep me awake and I guess you know the rest! eek I'm just grateful we had a 24-hour Wal-Mart that was open, so that saved the day or I should say my paper and my grade. thumbup Now, I always keep a spare handy just in case. wink
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: rubbing alchol - August 8th, 2006 at 11:59 PM
My "learning experience" was getting mad one day and slamming the mouse down real hard and it fell in the wastebasket. Since I'm a smoker and frequently empty the ashtray that sits next to the keyboard, you can just bet your sweet bippy the mouse was packed with ashes and was never the same. laugh
Posted By: JacobS11 Re: rubbing alchol - December 7th, 2006 at 01:28 PM
Hi Rosie,

Amazing idea! Cleaning a keyboard in the dishwasher. Never thought about that one wink

People are not aware how unhealthy a computer keyboard is, especially those doing much typing practice like myself. I've read that the keyboards of teachers are worst.

I've also read that researchers have found all kinds of dirt in keyboards, like animal hair and even traces of urine. It's horrible to think about this. I'd think 10 times now before touching another person's keyboard (and I hope nobody will touch mine wink

One thing I started to do is washing my hands every time after doing my work on the keyboard. I'm too lazy to clean it. Recently I took the keyboard keys apart and had a hard time to reassemble it. Cleaning it in a dishwasher is a fantastic idea!

JacobS
Posted By: JacobS11 Re: rubbing alchol - December 7th, 2006 at 01:43 PM
<<<It was late so I had a cup of coffee to keep me awake and I guess you know the rest! I'm just grateful we had a 24-hour Wal-Mart that was open, so that saved the day or I should say my paper and my grade. Now, I always keep a spare handy just in case>>>

And for the very same reason, I've stopped drinking coffee over my keyboard altoghter!
Posted By: JacobS11 Re: rubbing alchol - December 7th, 2006 at 01:55 PM
Hi Rosie,

<<<Some computer monitor screens have an "anti-glare" finish and should not be cleaned with alcohol>>>

How does one know if the monitor has an anti-glare finish, and what if someone *did* do apply alcohol? Does it make the anti-glare ineffective?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: rubbing alchol - December 13th, 2006 at 03:37 AM
How's this for a dirty keyboard...
[Linked Image]

Also, grinnnn wink laugh
Posted By: aighead Re: rubbing alchol - January 17th, 2007 at 10:01 AM
Jacob, most anti-glare monitors I've seen have a strange purplish tinge to them when you try to look for a glare. That and reflections should be more difficult to see.

I don't know that I would use alcohol on wood. Prolonged use will likely dry the wood out quite a bit even if it evaporates quickly during the cleaning.

Also, most electronic-y things can be submerged in water or exposed to a lot of water assuming that air can be in contact with all it's parts after the dousing. If your anything gets dropped in the toilet or whatever, break it down to smaller pieces if possible and let it sit for several days. The water will evaporate and things will be about as good as new. Now, this doesn't mean to go toss everything you own in the pool to see if my thoughts are correct, but in case of an emergency like taking an accidental swim with your cellphone in your pocket or something it's worth a shot.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: rubbing alchol - January 18th, 2007 at 06:36 PM
What a cool key board Weezie!!!!!
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: rubbing alchol - January 22nd, 2007 at 06:54 PM
I've been told not to use alcohol on wood products that have a finish/varnish. THe alcohol will eventually cloud the finish. This cloudiness is a sign of the alcohol eating away at the varnish itself. I use alcohol to clean ink-stains off my wood dining table, but my table isn't going to be an heirloom!
Posted By: datazmom Re: rubbing alchol - March 11th, 2007 at 05:52 PM
I use alcohol for all the glass in my house . Cheeper than that window cleaner and works alot better . I think it dries faster and leaves less streaks too . You can also use it to clean your mouse contact points and ball . I have a trac ball mouse and use it all the time to keep the ball from sticking and keep it rolling freely .
Posted By: dirt in my diamonds Re: rubbing alchol - March 14th, 2007 at 06:15 PM
I sold mobile and cell phones for a few years and the techs would tell us that if a customer called to say they had dropped their phone in water, we should tell them to dunk it into rubbing alcohol because it would evaporate and help dry it out faster.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: rubbing alchol - March 14th, 2007 at 06:26 PM
ohhhhhhhh realllllllllly!?!?!?!?!?!

I wished you would have come thru with this
tid bit a while ago....
We've gone thru two..
*although one survived a mudpuddle..
the other did not survive the washing machine* :rolleyes: eek
Posted By: dirt in my diamonds Re: rubbing alchol - March 14th, 2007 at 06:38 PM
Just an FYI too-

Unfortunately most companies have policies that prohibit "really helping" a customer unless that customer gets really irate or makes a threat (like to deactivate service, etc)

Policy in our store was that if a customer threatened to deactivate service, we were to accomodate them in any way possible.

If, for example, you dropped and damaged your phone and it was beyond repair, we could push charging you FULL price for a new one and say that we could not do anything else to help you, but if you complained enough, we had a pile of "trade-in" phones in the back that we could activate to your phone number and we could either charge you $10 and get a little commission or just GIVE it to you outright.

The moral of the story? Sadly, sometimes it pays to be rude. And it ALWAYS pays to negotiate!!! If you don't get the answer you want, talk to a manager!! YIt is RARE that you would ever have to pay FULL price for a cellphone!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: rubbing alchol - March 14th, 2007 at 07:37 PM
Don't get me started...

Unless you want to copy and paste your above reply to another thread..
I my husband and I are pretty P.O.'d about one transaction...

*But gotta keep this one thread/post on track,
after all it's about rubbing alcohol* wink laugh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]