A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: ND farm girl What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 12th, 2006 at 03:10 AM
I liked the subject on the 1 garden book you'd recommend, and thought it would be neat to see what people use on a regular basis in their garden.

Me - I love my Mantis Tiller! It's not so big of a tiller that I have to wait for my husband to dig something for me, so I'm free to dig more and more garden beds without his help! thumbup
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 16th, 2006 at 01:20 AM
I like this topic but I had to give very serious consideration to my answer. lol! I finally decided it has to be my old Girlie Shovel. I bought it the first year I started gardening because the old one I had was "man size." Mine is designed for women so it is shorter, the handle and blade are smaller. Also, the blade is exceptionally sharp so it makes any job so much easier. wink It's my prized garden tool!
Posted By: netty Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 23rd, 2006 at 08:18 AM
I couldn't live without my hand pruners. Or my transplant shovel. grinnnn
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 23rd, 2006 at 06:09 PM
Oh, I couldn't live without my Honda Mini-Tiller! :rolleyes: It's awesome and I love it! luv I used to do all this work with a shovel eek so this really makes everything so much easier! wink
Posted By: Thornius Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 24th, 2006 at 03:25 AM
I love my pruners and garden trowel. I would also like one of those cylindrical bulb planters, OH! and a chipper/shredder. I like to prune and compost.
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 24th, 2006 at 06:33 AM
I have a bulb planter - works great!

My husband gets kinda scared when he sees me heading for the Mantis tiller - I've been digging up everything and turning it into gardens all summer!

By the way - I got that software that is advertised here on this site once in a while for landscaping software - works very cool, of course it doesn't have all the plants I wish it had, but you can import pictures. Very cool software though.
Posted By: Thornius Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 24th, 2006 at 06:39 AM
If you like that one, ND, go to Google.com and download their new, FREE, CAD program, SketchUp. You can draw 3D models of ANY building add color textures and vegetation. It is WAY COOL!
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 24th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
Thanks Thorny, this sounds really interesting! Duh
Posted By: Thornius Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 24th, 2006 at 09:37 AM
It's amazingly quick and easy to learn.
Posted By: comfrey Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 24th, 2006 at 03:12 PM
I have a small camp shovel...That is always with me when I am doing any garden work. My second tool would be a shovel similar to the one Rosie has, mine is called a lady gardener shovel.
Posted By: chenno Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 25th, 2006 at 03:48 AM
My plain old simple hoe:-)
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - August 25th, 2006 at 05:26 PM
Thanks, Thorny! kissies It sounds like this might be a helpful program, so I think I'll try it! wink It might be something I can fool around with when I'm bored! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: datazmom Re: What is the 1 gardening tool you can't live without? - March 11th, 2007 at 05:40 PM
I have so many tools I use all the time , its just so hard to pick one . Hmmmm . With all the bulb planting and planting other things lately the one tool I have used the most is my little garden trowel . I do not have anything fancy , just a little dollar general bargain set . Or maybe it might be the kneeling pad , I sure seem to use that alot especially when gardening along the concrete walkways . Sure saves my knees . Then there is the hoe that I use to help clear weeds away , the spading fork and pitch fork and shovels I use to turn compost piles . I also have been using my pruners alot to trim back smaller branches and dead ones . I also use my long handled pruners to trim larger branches from the trees that just don't look like they need to be there or are growing in an odd way . I use my rakes alot to clear out and rake the yard , fluff the mulch in flowerbeds . Hmmm, see my point. I just can not choose one , so I would have to say the one tool I can't live without would be , ALL of them . LOL .
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]