A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Merme The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 11:11 AM
Hi everyone ~ wavey

A little after 5 PM on Friday, the 27th, my computer guy is coming over to dismantle the computer and take it to his place to do some work. I will not have internet service until the following Friday,the 3rd, so Doug is planning on bringing it back around then and getting me all hooked up again. And you know I'll be back on the forum forthwith!

I will try to post when I can in the meantime, but things are woefully chaotic around here, so I'm not sure how much I'll be on OR how much sense I'll make when I am on! Please bear with me; it will all be over soon.

Merme
Posted By: jonni13 Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 12:52 PM
Merme, we miss you already. Please take the move as easy on yourself as you can.
~Tina
Posted By: JV Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 08:04 PM
Here is another place I need to be to help a friend get moved. At least would be someone who wouldn't cancel at last minute.
Jimmy
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 08:10 PM
Jimmy, we should give you a second title after Critter Keeper. We should call you Forum Sweetheart because you are so kind.

I am hoping with all my heart that at least someone shows up today to help with the final packing things. We are so close to moving day and there is still stuff to be done. I really did not want to have so much to do this close to the end, but that's how it worked out.

I will miss being on line for that week after the move, too, though I'm sure we'll be quite busy settling in.

Merme
Posted By: JV Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 08:17 PM
Merme just seems I live so far away from where people are that need help. I have moved several ladies around here that had no one else to help. Hope they show up for you and get things done. Cannot stand slackers. frown
Jimmy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 08:20 PM
I am so happy that things are really rolling along for you and Maxi! Hope that the move goes off without a hitch thumbup

I can't wait to see pics of your new home!

I just know that you and Maxi will be so very happy in your new place thumbup
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 08:30 PM
G-mom, thinking of how much better off we'll be in the new place is part of what is keeping me going through this ordeal.

It truly will be a benefit to our daily lives to simply live in a unit that will be easier for us to care for by ourselves. We won't HAVE to be quite so dependent on others there.

And, I'm really looking forward to having flooring that will enable me to walk more each day. These old, uneven, and poorly surfaced floors here make walking a terrible hazard for me. Plus the distances involved are exhausting. At the new place, the floors are in excellent shape and because the apt is laid out in a compact design, I will be able to be much more mobile.

That is, if I can ever pry myself away from the forum from time to time! laugh shocked laugh

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 08:39 PM
Being in a safer place will definately have it's advantages for you. Being able to be on your feet more will be good for your health thumbup

I don't remember...will you have a patio or something like one?
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 08:59 PM
We will have a very nice porch. It isn't deep in terms of footage from the wall of the house outward, but it is long... across the front of most of the living room and all of my bedroom. It is built like a deck, with very sturdy and attractive deck railing and there are sliders to it from the living room. Me 'n Maxi have all kinds of plans for gardening out there!

You know, I just get so physically CRANKY from spending so much time seated, that there are days the whole thing irks me. Being upright makes a person feel better all over!

AND I am really looking forward to having a stove/oven that I can actually use! It is a smaller model than what we have here, but since I can't use this one without help, it's large capacity is useless to us. The scaled down version will be terrific.

AND to have a refrigerator that DOESN'T freeze everything inside will also be a plus, saving me lots of money as things won't get ruined by being frozen.

AND the new place is bright and cheerful inside. I will no longer feel as though we are living in a cave.

All big benefits, worth much of this hassle we've been going through to get there!

Merme
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 09:05 PM
Oh, and did I mention there is a DISHWASHER?!

I haven't had a dishwasher since 1986.

A friend told me that all the major brands now make dishwasher detergent in little packets or pillows that you just put in the space without having to measure it. That means I will be able to teach Maxi how to do it and he will be able to start 'er up without making an accidental mess! He really enjoys adding soap to the washing machine and getting it started, so I think he will like this, too.

I know I will like it!

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 09:07 PM
The porch sounds great thumbup You'll have lots of room for fresh veggies and flowers. I just know Maxi will love growing his own veggies to eat. My kids adore picking fresh veggies off of the plant,they are already bugging me to get my veggies started :rolleyes:

Oh....you gotta get a set of rocking chairs to go on your porch! I love a rocking chair on a porch,they seem to take you back to simpler times.
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 09:14 PM
Maxi has a beautiful adult size wooden rocker that I stained with red fabric dye to give it a softer, more subtle coloration.

In the winter we use it in the kitchen, because I love a rocker in the kitchen. In the summer it goes out on the porch.

I will have to get a second one...

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 09:42 PM
I have a rocking chair in my dining room(which is open to the kitchen)and it's everybodies favorite chair thumbup

Way back when...when George was still a young man living in the boonies of Louisiana,he built hand-made rockers. He would go out and select the tree,cut it down and build the rocker. He gave everyone a 100 year warranty on it. They were each built to the specifications of the person who would be using it. He made one for his father and when his dad passed away everybody was fighting over who would get the chair :rolleyes: His Mom knew how much love and hard work went into it so she told everybody that George was the only one who had any right to the chair. We have it in our Living room and it is as beautiful as it was when he built it 30 years ago thumbup
Posted By: princessazlea Re: The Move - January 26th, 2006 at 10:32 PM
Good luck with the move Merme. I am so pleased for you and Maxi. wavey
Posted By: sybil Re: The Move - January 27th, 2006 at 12:06 AM
Merme,
So happy that this chapter of yours is coming to an end and a new one shall begin. I know you and Maxi will have many happy times in your new abode.. thumbup
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: The Move - January 27th, 2006 at 12:13 AM
Merme,
This is the last of the race to the new place for you- it will get done- friends will help- I am with everyone is wishing I could get there to do this last little bit for you... sure will be easier for you both when it is done and over - now if we can keep you calmed down enough to get there.... breath!
Having an oven and a dishwasher you can really use sounds wonderful,and the kind of detergent you mentioned is good stuff- Carrie uses it in her dishwasher- and they do a lot of dishes!
Have my calender marked for when you won't be on line to when you should be back so will miss you but will be nice to have a "new" computer to use..... love the rocker idea too.. I have one Joe got me when we had Carrie- it's not an outside on though- usually have it in the family room but till the babies don't need the crib there is no room in there now--- did I tell you Nicoli took a few steps this week without holding on- hasn't figured out how to do it all the time yet-- but is on his way- less than a month to him being a yr old too... time flies!
Nana
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - January 27th, 2006 at 01:41 AM
Merme, I know this next couple of weeks is going to be very stressful with you and the whole move. But knowing you are going to be in such a better place for both you and maxi is just the best news I can imagine. Cannot wait to have you back and looking so forward to hearing more about your new home.
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - January 27th, 2006 at 09:38 AM
Much was accomplished today, but not nearly enough!

Tonight I hope to pack all of my clothes once I decide what I will wear Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Those items I want to keep separate -- perhaps in the top of the huge box of my medical supplies -- so they don't get buried in the chaos.

Maxi's dad's girlfriend, mother of his little brother (got that? laugh ) is picking him up right after school. They are going to run to Wal-Mart and buy some things we will need at the new place, drop that stuff off here, and then take him home for the weekend. When they bring him back, they will bring him to the new apt.

Tomorrow is looking a bit harried. There is some packing yet to be done. I have to get some important paperwork delivered to Housing. I have some financial matters to attend to. I have to go to the Realtor to sign the lease, pay the money, get the keys. Just after 5 my Computer Guy will be here to take apart this computer and also to detach Maxi's accessories from the TV and get them boxed up. I have to meet up with another friend to give him money so he can go purchase Maxi's Bunky mattress on Saturday and deliver it to the new apt....

Remember to say a little prayer for us!

Merme
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - January 28th, 2006 at 03:45 AM
flw flw IT'S OFFICIAL! IT'S OFFICIAL! flw flw

The lease is SIGNED! The keys have been given! The electricity is in my name and turned on!

We are going over tonight to do a few preliminary things and then coming back here to pack like crazy!!

I'm so relieved, so relieved!

Thanks everyone, for all your prayers and support. I just couldn't have gotten through, otherwise!

Merme
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: The Move - January 28th, 2006 at 04:04 AM
Merme - this calls for the HUGE DANCING BANANA!!! [Linked Image]

That is WONDERFUL NEWS!!!
Can't wait til you're a bit settled and can tell us about how the rest of it went!

Take good care of yourself! kissies
Posted By: sybil Re: The Move - January 28th, 2006 at 04:20 AM
Hooray Hooray Merme....
So happy for you.Must take a HUGE weight off.
Now your fun begins..
Go easy and take time for yourself..don't get yourself too stressed. If you do not get it all unpacked, you at least know it wil still be there when you are ready..( I've still got about 4 boxes unpacked from my last move 2 years ago)
Can't wait to "see" your new home
Congrats Merme.
muggs clp luv
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: The Move - January 28th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
Merme......
So very happy for you- see it all got done- and you did it with a little help from your friends!
sounds like a good plan for Maxi- envolved but not underfoot for the actual move-- though he may want to have a minute to say bye to the old apt- might want to ask him if he does....
Now sounds like you have it all under control - moves do feel like chaos even when you are organized --- it is just unsettleing to pick up and go to a new place to live--- love the plans of getting bedrooms- done first- kitchen and bath not far behind- it will get done...... you know it will- and you have so much less stuff now it is mostly all done - just have to empty each box in the room it needs to be in--- patience is key here---- breathing is good too!
So happy it has all come together - even if it took forever to do so---- see I told you so----
correct response is YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS MOM!
LOL!
thats what my kids tell me anyway!
Nana
Posted By: weezie13 Re: The Move - January 28th, 2006 at 04:49 AM
HOLEY COW, LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT BANANA..
You know who's gonna be on that in a heart beat..

Congrats Merme...
How exciting for you and Maxi...
Can't wait for you to get in there and
be all snug and warm and cozy as can be...

Take lot's of pictures so we can see...
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: The Move - January 28th, 2006 at 06:26 AM
OMG! shk

Lynne stole my banana and gave him STEROIDS! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: The Move - January 28th, 2006 at 06:29 AM
Not to steal this thread away from Merme...

but... I THOUGHT you'd like him, Cindy!
Was saving him for just the right occassion, and this certainly was it!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: The Move - January 28th, 2006 at 06:55 AM
The lease is SIGNED! The keys have been given! The electricity is in my name and turned on!
Merme...that seems like a place where you will be much happier than you could have ever been at the old place...not even being able to keep your blinds opened because of the attorneys...and not to mention the landlord.

I know the whole thing has been rough, but it seems like having to move might have been a blessing in disguise for you. wink

I'm glad it's almost over...and you can get settled in and be comfortable.

Cindy
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - January 29th, 2006 at 04:30 AM
Am thinking about you today Merem as it is big moving day. I hope all is going smoothly and that lots of people came to help out!
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: The Move - January 29th, 2006 at 05:16 AM
I can't compete with that Banana but I'm doing my own happy dance for you. Hope the move goes off without a hitch and you love every minute in your new place.
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 4th, 2006 at 03:08 AM
For all of you who like lots of details, here is the saga of the move...

Me 'n Angel were exhausted by early Saturday morning and there seemed to still be SO MUCH to do before the Movers arrived at 8:30. I was remembering all the sage advice you guys had given me, and tried hard to remember to breathe and to trust the day to God.

Well, as it turned out, the movers I hired were scam artists of a sort and I am thankful to all of my local friends who showed up that day.

I had contracted with the movers front office for 2 hours at a certain rate. One hour to load, one hour to unload. My church had cut a check to pay the movers for me.

So when the truck rolled in, I started at the front door and pointed out all the furniture pieces I wanted them to take and then said if there is any time left, add as many boxes as you can in the time allowed.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE! They START the clock the moment they leave their parking lot before they arrive at the house and don't stop it until they get back to the office.... so they cut 1/2 hour off the moving time for their travel.

Then they said I MUST pay cash... coz if they take longer to move than the agreed upon 2 hours, the check wouldn't be enough. Well, my friends flipped out saying they HAD to take the check because it was from a church for heaven's sake and signed by a priest, so it wasn't going to bounce!

So they called the office... another 15 minutes gone.

THEN they announced that NONE of my friends could help load the truck. So everyone just had to stand there, bringing stuff to the front door to try to make these guys go faster because they kept doing things like one waiting inside while the other tied something down outside rather than to keep moving.

So in the end, all they were able to take was the furniture and not a single box.

Well, my friends stood there a moment and somebody said "Load 'er up!" and the caravan of cars, a minivan and one small pickup truck got underway.

I'm telling ya, my friends worked like dogs all day long and that is so NOT what I had planned for them! I hired the movers so they wouldn't have so much to do!

By 1, I was wiped out, and told Angel it was time for me to be taken to the new place. A friend had promised to cater morning Coffee Break and also lunch, and by then, everyone was really ready to eat!

So we got here, and the friend had showed up with just a small amount of wierd food -- not the sort of things needed to feed a crowd of starving hard working folks!

So I dug in my purse to see what cash I still had on hand, and Angel ran to the market to get bologna, bread, chips, as I already had the cheese and the mayo at the new place.

We took a much needed break, had some food and coffee, and those people still remaining to help got the rest of the to and fro-ing underway just after 2.

By 5, everyone was completely done in and everything was here except one small 1/2 load for a pickup, which we arranged to get on Monday.

Before they left they made sure my bed was set up and that I could get my wheelchair through each room.

This is the least stressful move I have ever gone through and all my friends were as considerate as possible. That Hurclean effort was done with much good humor and grace from start to finish.

Merme
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: The Move - February 4th, 2006 at 03:16 AM
Merme, I am so glad you are moved now and pray that you will be settled in soon. I am sooooo excited for you!

Dianna
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 4th, 2006 at 03:21 AM
PART TWO: MOVING HUMOR

Ok, so here are two amusing things from that day...

I had stayed up until 2 AM on Friday night finishing the laundry so I could tackle the dishes before they got packed on Saturday morning. But as it turned out, I never did get to the last of the dishes.

So my pals (down to earth, on'ry girls, both o' them) told the teen helping us to pack the dishes dirty and we'd wash them in the dishwasher at the new place to save time.

I screeched NO! There were two very nice, nice ladies from my church helping out with the move and I did NOT want them to see packed dirty dishes, I just so did not want that!

So Ange said to pack em up, seal the box, mark it D DISHES D DO NOT OPEN.

So when the nice ladies left to take the next load to the new place, the teen loaded up a big box with all the dirty stuff and Angel marked it. The teen kept asking why nobody could know what was in the box? Angel explained "OH, WE can know... we just don't want the ladies to know!"

So that box got hustled into Lori's van and brought to the new place. As soon as the ladies were back out the door to go get another load, Angel ripped open the box, stashed everything in the dishwasher and turned it on and then stood there looking completely nonchalant and well, ANGELIC! Dirty dishes? Where? I didn't see any!

So the dishes were saved (and washed) and my reputation was spared and my friends got such a kick out of the conspiracy.

Late in the day when we were all so exhausted everything was striking us as funny, a condition my mother used to refer to as "Punch Drunk", Angel said something quite innocently that put us all on the floor.

Everyone knows I keep a rolodex. I live my life out of the silly thing. Even when I call 911, the rolodex is the first item into my hospital bag.

Well, people consider it a privilege to be added to my rolodex and the week before I had told Angel's boyfriend Rich I needed the rest of his contact info so I could make a card for him. He was so proud! laugh Unfortunately, I wrote it all with a big red marker on the back of an envelope on my desk and never made the card...

So as they were leaving on moving day, Rich offered me his cell phone to use for the week when my phone was disconnected. I had to admit I didn't remember the number AND that I hadn't recorded it in my rolodex.

Angel picked up the rolodes and said "I will put him on my backside" meaning the flip side of her card.

When she said that, I started to chuckle. As soon as everyone heard me laugh, they all thought twice about what she'd said and the whole room was just cracking UP. The situation went downhill from there, with everyone making any silly comment that came into their heads from there.

Tired can make the whole wide world seem funny.

Merme
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 4th, 2006 at 03:47 AM
PART THREE: MAXI

Maxi was brought home on Sunday night. He was thrilled from the minute he walked in the door.

We spent about an hour together while I showed him all the switches throughout the place and he learned how to lock our new front door locks. Then we sat and talked for a bit and he was delighted to get into his own bed with the brand new mattress all made up just for him -- no more pullout couch!

On Monday I showed him how to use the dishwasher and he thinks that is a very MANLY task because it is a machine, mommy, not for ladies!

On Tuesday he was well-connected with the other boys in our complex. Nice kids who are apparently used to parental supervision. They open the door and ask "May I come in?" and "Where do you want me to put my stuff?" then they strip down, boots, snowpants, parkas, hats, mittens, into a damp heap by the front door and come in all dry to play.

They always ask first if they can play Maxi's piano keyboard and I let them if they wash hands first.

Tuesday night one of the boys brought his take out supper over here to eat with Maxi. Wednesday night he got invited over there. Now they've all got plans for the weekend.

One night they showed him the bike trail and everyone went sledding.

The cable guy came on Wednesday morning to hook us back on. We upgraded to digital and the guy was showing me how to use the parental block after Maxi had left for school.

He said "don't pick something he will guess at the first try!" and I jumped a bit because I was thinking of using the word "glad" which I had once used on a now defunct bank account. So I picked another word.

When Maxi came home, he complained about the blocks and said "I know your password! It is GLAD!" the little stinker! Good thing I had changed my mind. And here I haven't had that bank account in over a year, so how did he even remember it or even know it in the first place?!

The guy also told me not to worry about teaching Maxi how to work the thing because he assured me the kids sit with the remote and figure it all out within a few hours. Sure enough, that's what happened.

So the kid has slipped into a nice routine, happy as the day is long. Getting up and preparing for school is easy. Coming home and accomplishing chores is easy. Having buddies to fool around with is lovely. There just seems to be much peace and delight here for us both and he is sleeping so well -- so very well.

This weekend we hope to put his bedroom entirely together for him and even get his red curtains hung! Oh, he'll feel in paradise then!!

Merme
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: The Move - February 4th, 2006 at 04:00 AM
wavey Hi Merme,

i am so happy for you, its sounds like you have found a great place. i can sympathize with you, moving is exhausting, your new place sounds really great for you both.
congratulations wink
Penny
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: The Move - February 4th, 2006 at 04:24 AM
wavey MERME! wavey

I am so glad to see you back online!

I'm happy you are finally moved, and now have such a nice place to live. And so happy to hear about Maxi's new friendships already.

You have some awesome friends that helped you!

Cindy Faye
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: The Move - February 4th, 2006 at 04:27 AM
[Linked Image]

Hi Merme,
So very glad you made it thru the move and Maxi is so happy... playing with buddies will wear him out- may just help all his sleeping problems.
His new room sounds really neat- bet he will be thrilled with red curtains too-
Now you don't try to get it all done in one day either--- though I bet just everyday stuff is a lot easier for you now.
Nana
Posted By: jonni13 Re: The Move - February 4th, 2006 at 07:16 AM
Merme, I'm so happy for you. And now I'm happy for me too, Because you're back.
Posted By: princessazlea Re: The Move - February 4th, 2006 at 08:09 AM
Merme I am so happy for you. And Maxi too. I hope you are both very happy in your new home.
Posted By: sybil Re: The Move - February 5th, 2006 at 12:54 AM
Oh Merme..so very happy that you are settled both physically and emotionally..only great times for you two ahead.. kissies thumbup

Great to have you back wink
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 5th, 2006 at 05:38 AM
Today Maxi went on the shopping expedition with Angel and he returned with two houseplants. I had left the choice up to him, specifying the price range only.

The kid got some bang for his buck, too.

He got a very handsome miniature rose in a deep orangy red that looks quite good on the plant stand in the living room. I should have remembered that RED is his favorite color and so he would never think to buy yellow to coordinate with the room! But it is lovely, none the less.

For my bedroom, he lugged home a giant Boston Fern in a hanging basket. It feels a bit dry to me, so I will TLC it with a steamy bathroom during our showers tonight and a good big drink.

We sat my antique telephone stand that got broken in the move right in front of my double window in the bedroom. I had planned to put it elsewhere, but until a furniture man can repair the leg, I don't want it where it will be sat on. So since it is in front of the big windows with nary a phone in sight, I asked the kid to buy a plant to put on it. He did a great job with the fern and told me the Bakery guy helped with the choice! I think a few small books on the seat and perhaps a big swatch of lace thrown carelessly on the back will do much to diminish the brilliant color of the upholstery my mother added to that bench 40 years ago. Someday I will reupholster it myself, but for now disquise is the key!

And what better disguise than a real plant I might ask?

Gee, I'm a happy girl in my new home.

Oh and all of Barley's AV's survived the journey in their little pots on the trays... as well as all the cuttings in their small vases.

It's looking like home to me!

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Move - February 5th, 2006 at 05:40 AM
Merme, I'm so glad that you go in there and love it so much.

Sounds like Maxi picked out some nice plants!
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - February 6th, 2006 at 06:03 AM
Merme, What a nice treat for me to come back and see that you are all setteled into your new home. I am so happy for you that it all worked out and that it is going so well! And I am thrilled to have you back. You were very much missed while you were gone!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Move - February 6th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
kissies welcome home merme... so glad you are in the nice place, with room to move about.
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 6th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
This little place is just perfect for us, it really is! Again this morning I was just so impressed that I was able to simply get ready to go out and not have it be such a major ordeal. I got to do everything needful in much less time and I wasn't exhausted and frantic when our ride arrived! This is GREAT!

A friend came and hung the curtain panels in the living room for me this afternoon. The only window in this room is the big sliders out to the porch and they are divided into panes... 15 for each door. The owners installed white vertical blinds, which are okay but I wanted fabric added to soften the look.

Modern construction just seems so BOXY to me and is usually NOT architecturally interesting, so softness and interest has to be added with fabric, plants, furnishings, etc to make it have a more habitable human-like appearance. In my opinion.

So he used my special hardware. It is the kind in which only one end mounts to the wall and the other end swings free, with a small ball on the free end to hold the panel in place. The panels are a color I think of as a "dusty" or muted blue, made of silk, with handwrought ribbon embroidery into pretty darker blue daisies with yellow centers. We hung the hardware arms above the valance for the blinds, placing them 6 inches in from each end, so the panels conceal the door frame on either side, softening up the entire look of the area. I am very pleased!!

Those sliders are about six feet from my desk to my right and face East. I spend much of my time right here and I love sitting here watching the morning sun creep up over the horizon through the trees and streaking in a little bit past those vertical blinds. It makes it very pleasant.

I am anxious now to find the box that has my indoor fountain safely packed inside. I really want to get it up and running as I miss the sound of it so much. I am thinking of placing it on the credenza that we placed between the kitchen and living room in order to divide the space up a bit for me as I dislike "open concept" rooms. I'm thinking it would be really nice there, especially if I add a plant that does okay with low light.

Of endless discussion among my friends is the topic of where to hang our artwork.... I'll let you know what we finally decide!!

Merme
Posted By: Bestofour Re: The Move - February 6th, 2006 at 10:34 AM
Things are really shaping up. So glad about that.
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - February 6th, 2006 at 12:09 PM
Sounds awesome. Looking very forward to pics once you get the hang of the camera!
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 6th, 2006 at 08:12 PM
Triss ~

My computer guy asked me not to even fool with trying to hook the camera up to this old computer. He is going to replace this computer in March and thinks it will be much better to do it then. We are waiting until March when his Technical College has its annual sale -- he says you can get the BEST deals then!

The plan is to upgrade to 2000 and add a CD burner and some sort of thumb memory thing for my creative writing files. He thinks the software for the camera will do much better on the upgrade.

But I'm hoping one of my friends will bring a camera at least to the Open House and get some good pictures for all of you...

Oh, and my pal the Chef told me yesterday that he can get mountains of 5 gallon plastic buckets with or without lids for me to do some of the planting projects for our porch that Lynne gave me the link for.

Now I am REALLY psyched!

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Move - February 6th, 2006 at 09:28 PM
It sounds like you and Maxi are settling in quite well thumbup From your descriptions it sounds like a lovely apartment and I can't wait to see some pics.

When is your open house?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: The Move - February 6th, 2006 at 10:42 PM
Merme - I'm so happy that you are so at home in your new place!
It sounds like things are getting well organized, and that before you know it, you'll have a lovely porch with all sorts of blooms and greenery to sit back and relax among.

I, too, am anxiously awaiting pictures!
Posted By: ShirlS Re: The Move - February 7th, 2006 at 03:11 AM
Congrats on your new place Merme! You sound really happy there. I am looking forward to seeing pics also.

Shirl
Posted By: weezie13 Re: The Move - February 7th, 2006 at 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Merme:

But I'm hoping one of my friends will bring a camera at least to the Open House and get some good pictures for all of you...

Merme
I would love to see the great group of super hero's that took care of you Merme, they are very special people and what an Awesome job they did.
It would be sooooooo much fun to get to see some faces of those who worked so hard.. thumbup clp
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - February 7th, 2006 at 03:57 AM
Merme, Very exciting about the 5 gallon buckets. Ya know, if you want to take pics and send me the memory card, I will be happy to download them, add them to your photobucket, and send you the card back.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: The Move - February 7th, 2006 at 08:52 AM
Merme,
You have such a beautiful way with words. When reading your posts, it is so easy to picture exactly what you are talking about...as if I was really there. Everytime I see you've posted something new, I'm always sure to read it!

Congratulations on your new home. I'm so glad you are enjoying it so much. Sounds as if it feels like home already...as if you have your roots planted there. Good luck with the planting projects.

Christina
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 8th, 2006 at 06:30 AM
Oh, I worked so hard today; so hard. But golly, it is all so worth it!

I tackled the laundry area and the last of the kitchen unpacking. There is still a bit to go... mostly just figuring out where to put the little stuff that had nice homes in the old place but seem sort of lost here. I am adjusting to not having any kitchen windowsills, but I miss them!

So, my friend Rich showed up with a buddy to take the mini washer and dryer just as the other truck pulled in to bring my new ones. The timing was exact!

And ohmygoodness, I can't believe these new units. I can't believe they are mine! They are so PRETTY!

They are whirlpool, big and white. The back panel where the dials are located are a powder blue, or what some might call a pale baby blue. It's very, very attractive!

So the manuals are about as thick as a telephone book and I will be studying them for days. Or at least, I will do the "Cliff Notes" version and get a good load going tonight.

I'm too tired to cook supper and don't feel much like eating, but I was going to force myself to do it anyway to feed Maxi. But he got invited to a friends house, so I'm off the hook. I'll have some potatoe soup or fish chowder while I study and then I'll get to sit and listen to these big machines do their work effortlessly.

Oh, what fun this is!

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: The Move - February 8th, 2006 at 06:43 AM
Glad you got your new washer and dryer installed, Merme! thumbup

Man, that fish chowder sounds good. grinnnn
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - February 8th, 2006 at 09:47 AM
I have never seen anyone so excited about a washer and about doing the laundry except our Cindy. I am so glad you are happy with them Merme!
Posted By: jonni13 Re: The Move - February 8th, 2006 at 10:08 AM
When my oldest was a baby, I hand washed everything for quite awhile. Clothe diapers. It was ok but hanging out the blankets was a bear. I was doing it all again when my oldest son was born. a washer and dryer is a good thing to get excited about. thumbup
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 8th, 2006 at 01:21 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about the best way to store shoes?

Racks on the floor? Hanging pocket things? Shelves with clear boxes?

Merme
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 8th, 2006 at 10:37 PM
Oh and by the way...

A friend of mine stopped by the old apt to pick up my mail because my forwarding hasn't kicked in yet.

Guess what?

The landlord and his wife are now living in the apt!

Apparently when the realtor told him it wouldn't sell without a major amount of money being invested in a fix up, even as a tear down & rebuild, he realized what a bad move he'd made by booting out his highest paying tenant, and to recoup some of the loss, has moved in there himself.

I hope they are enjoying it... drafts, broken plumbing, rotten flooring and all...

I didn't like it much, though, that he'd taken my mail inside and hadn't returned it to the PO to be forwarded! One of my income checks was in that stack.

We are well away from them and that situation, well away! Thanks Be.

Merme
Posted By: weezie13 Re: The Move - February 8th, 2006 at 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Merme:
Does anyone have an opinion about the best way to store shoes?

Racks on the floor? Hanging pocket things? Shelves with clear boxes?

Merme
Merme,
I don't have one of these, but really wished I did..
They look like fun, space saving and you could have the higher one's and Maxi could have the lower one's?????
free standing shoe rack Duh

I love this one too, just wish I had all matching
shoes like that..
stand up shoe rack
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: The Move - February 9th, 2006 at 01:53 AM
Hi Merme
What a ex landord he is---- bet that was his plan all along to move in to the apt- but you are in a much better place now- and your washer and dryer sound a lot like my old ones- same colors anyway.... they finally gave up the ghost about 2 yrs ago after 12 yrs of good service- expecially the almsot yr they did laundry for 13- then 8 then just the 3 and now 2 of us--- good workhorses they were...
So glad you got your mail- seems like he could have put it back in the box with please forward on it--- or you new address - he must know it...
We have shoe racks on the floor- and keep every day shoes in it- good shoes we have in boxes on shelves- we don't dress up a lot so that is out of the way for us- Carrie has an eterge(sp) plant stand in her living room and the bottom 2 shelves are for the kids shoes- course she has 4 kids to keep track of their shoes too- not always and easy thing for her--- but she is getting more organized --- slowly! LOL!
Nana
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - February 9th, 2006 at 02:39 AM
I wish I could help ya there Merme, but our shoes seem to stay where they land. I need to figure out something especially for Lys since she has started collecting them already.
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 9th, 2006 at 03:08 AM
Years ago, when I took in desperately poor families to live with me, I came up with a plan to help the children keep track of their shoes. The moms and dads didn't seem to mind them all scattered about and being unable to find them when it was time to go out. It drove me NUTS! and I must say, I didn't like the children being so upset every morning about shoes of all things!

So I got out some big paper and had each child stand on a piece with their shoes on. I explained that we were making a very special spot to keep their shoes. This spot was so special, in fact, that NOTHING else would fit into it exactly right except their very own shoes!

Then I cut the foot prints out and taped them right beside each childs bed. They were delighted to bring mom and dads and sister and brothers shoes to see if any of them would fit into that Very Special Shoe Spot!

My goodness, the way they behaved, you'd of thought I had discovered the secrets of the universe itself!

But! There were no more misplaced shoes.

My personal rule is that shoes aren't worn in the house and so Maxi has always known to take his off as soon as he comes in the door. Which was great when we had enclosed porches to leave them!

Now our entryway is only 3 1/2 by 4 1/2, and any shoes left there would interfere with opening the door. So that's why I'm thinking of some kind of shoe rack system for the coat closet right inside the front door.

I think the next step might be to measure the space inside the closet before I go shopping.

Merme
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - February 9th, 2006 at 03:34 AM
Measuring would be a good idea Merme. Look in the kids dept cuz they often have cubbies there and they would work really well for a show rack and still leave you space to use the closet.
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 9th, 2006 at 03:40 AM
Smart idea, Triss!

Neither one of us have many pair of shoes... just one each of the necessary -- you know, sneaks, dress shoes, boots, bay shoes, sandals, etc. Even so, it is likely to make a continuing aggravation if I don't figure it out!

Merme
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - February 9th, 2006 at 03:52 AM
You have way more than we do. Each of the boys has a pair of tennis shoes that are in their rooms. I have the snow boots and sandals in a box in my room. Lys has all kinds of shoes though and they are here and there. But that bedroom is still full of boxes so is a mess no matter what I do. Eventually I will get unpacked LOL.
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 9th, 2006 at 05:16 AM
Footwear is important because of where we live. Snow boots are a must. Bay shoes are important to protect ones feet from our rocky coast while swimming. Nobody wants a heavy shoe on the foot in hot weather... so...

Up here the kids are not allowed to do outdoor recess unless they are wearing boots, snow pants, parka, hat and mittens. If they are not dressed appropriately, they have to stand on the sidewalk near the building and just watch the other kids play.

Even so, on the coldest days recess is indoors.

Merme
Posted By: Triss Re: The Move - February 9th, 2006 at 05:26 AM
I can totally undersand that. At least they make sure that the kiddos are nice and warm when they are outside. That is a GOOD thing!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: The Move - February 9th, 2006 at 05:35 AM
Our elementary doesn't go out alllllll the time,
but they send home notes and say, we plan on this day to go out side,.. send stuff appropriate..
I have to admit, I send mine with a jacket...
and mittens in his backpack.. for just regular days, I live 3 blocks from the school and I drive him to school or walk.. and my mom and neighbor have those police/fire boxes.
anything happened, I'd be there in a minute and a half...

Merme, did you see the pictures I posted,
anything like that work, one's on a turnstyle like.
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 11th, 2006 at 08:23 PM
Yesterday I made a successful shopping trip to Target.

Someone had told me they were selling handsome dinnerware with clear glass plates and brightly colored accent pieces at a very good price. Well, they were sold out of the kind I was interested in because they had been on clearance.

Then I noticed a lonely box of an entire set looking all forlorn on the endcap display. The box was fairly beat up, so I opened it to check all the pieces and ended up buying this 20 piece set for $9.99 -- way LESS and much prettier than the items I'd gone there to buy!!

I would not use these dishes in a dining room for dinner, but for nice meals in the kitchen "dinette" area or they'd even be okay for a breakfast or lunch in the dining room (if I still had one!)

The plates are the very large, 11 inch size. They are white in the center with a wide yellow band, trimmed on both edges with a pinstripe of Navy blue. The salad plates are 8 inches; saucers are 6. The large bowls are the flat, shallow style with the wide brim and the cups, a generous 10 oz size, have an attractive, sort of old-fashioned shape I like very much. Because they are stoneware, they are oven, microwave and dishwasher safe.

Also on clearance, I found a nice set of flatware in a pretty stand-up metal basket rack. The handles are Navy blue, so it will look good with the dinnerware.

I wasted a LOT of time in the kitchenware section looking at canisters. Geez, those plastic storage systems can be rather pricey! Years ago I invested a bundle of money in a set that I've been very happy with (good thing, huh?) and though I've added odds and ends by Sterlite and Rubbermaid, I still needed more.

I ended up getting two sets of something called Lock & Lock. Have you ever seen this? It comes in rectangular and square, and the lid has four flaps that fold down and lock onto the canister. Both of the sets I got have the 11 c, 3 c and 2 c size, which makes them pretty versitile for me.

They did NOT have yellow sheets of any style.

They did NOT have Hunter Green towels. I ended up finding this really unusual shade of rich blue/green that is a deeper shade of Peacock than I have ever seen. They really punch up the look of that all-beige bathroom! There are double towel rods in the bath, hung side by side, so I put the towels up, layering them in the peacock and beige. They really give that wall a boost!

And I spent a long time in the toaster section drooling over some very, very attractive but way too costly models. I picked a plain one in ordinary white for less than $10 -- after all, I only want to make toast with the thing and not win a House Beautiful Championship.

I had to chuckle, though, when I got it home and tried to plug it in... Bill had warned me of the darn short cords on kitchen appliances and geez, the plug I was going to use was really hard for me to access. When I finally got it in, the toaster is sitting in a stupid place! But I did have toast this morning, so there ya go.

Now I'm thinking about using one of my surge protector power strips in the kitchen and moving the thing to a better place.

While they didn't have the type of curtain panel I wanted to add to what I already have for my bedroom, I did find the Very Most Extra Long Cafe Curtain Rod I need in there for the double set windows.

I scooped up all manner of cleaning products and found Maxi some cool Valentine's Day Loot for his surprises and for his classmates and by the time I rolled out of there I was dazed and done-in, but there was still cash in my purse so I was a happy girl through and through.

After school yesterday Maxi went outside and picked up a tray full of small stones for me so we could make a microclimate for the Boston Fern. He does such tasks with much carefulness. Since I can't reach the fern myself until we get some of the boxes out of my way (of books no less!), he put it all together himself. The stones, the plant on top, the water in the bottom. I'm proud and I think the Fern is happier.

Merme
Posted By: weezie13 Re: The Move - February 11th, 2006 at 08:53 PM
Did you get something for your shoes???????
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 11th, 2006 at 09:37 PM
Weezie ~ I looked over everything they had for shoes, but didn't buy anything. I want to also look at Wal-Mart first. Also, although we are now storing our Kenmore canister vac in the coat closet, I am thinking of moving it so there will be more floor space for the shoe system I end up getting.

I am leaning toward the idea of some sort of cubby unit because even if we didn't fill it entirely with shoes we would have the extra cubbies for other gear.

I miss having an enclosed porch!

Maxi kept bins on the porch filled with outdoor play things... a bin of swords and bats, another of balls, another of all his bubble-and-mess-making-stuff, a bin of beach gear and one more of snow tools. I've sent his summer & camp gear to storage as well as his toys, but it would be nice to be able to have them here seasonally.

Merme
Posted By: weezie13 Re: The Move - February 11th, 2006 at 09:44 PM
Something like this maybe for in the closet???

Or on the inside of the closet door????
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 12th, 2006 at 03:17 AM
Weezie! That's EXACTLY what I've been thinking of for inside the closet! The closet doors are bi-fold, so I can't hang stuff on them, but that rack of cubby's looks ideal.

Merme
Posted By: weezie13 Re: The Move - February 12th, 2006 at 03:25 AM
If you go to that link, and look on the left side,
there's a link that says "shoe racks",
click on that and there's a few more ideas...

I sigh when I see those..
For our messy wintery winters, muddy springs and falls', and all sorts of stuff during the other season, summer.. ours need something to sit in,
and catch all the drips... and drip and slop..
*My husband delivers to barns, need I say more??*

That looked ideal for what you discribed...
Posted By: Merme Re: The Move - February 18th, 2006 at 01:02 AM
UNPACKING DAY 9,531 1/2

Hey, I told Triss in a PM this morning that there is a better plan for moving than anything I personally have ever done!

It goes like this:

You move yourself and your family into a very nice hotel with all amenities.

The house gets completely packed up. Everything gets taken to the new place all in one trip. The furniture gets put into its proper locations, the decorating is accomplished and all the unpacking is achieved.

THEN you put you and your family into the finished house.

Now doesn't THAT sound like a way to move?!

Sure would beat cooking soup in the coffeepot 'coz nobody knows where the pots are or finding a box of treasure stashed under a toy bin 'coz the labelling on the box was from a previous move!

Just kidding.

But I do tend to walk around here saying "I know I saw my life in one of these boxes just the other day... now which one was it?"

Merme
Posted By: weezie13 Re: The Move - February 18th, 2006 at 01:36 AM
But I do tend to walk around here saying "I know I saw my life in one of these boxes just the other day... now which one was it?"
oh Merme, I can totally empathsize....
*When I moved, one place, for 2 years, I was in boxes all over the place.. and then moved back here, and then to the downstairs here, and most of my stuff was in a storage place..
*one 10x10 and one 10x20* for a year...
so, I do know...it can be daunting...
kissies
Posted By: tamara Re: The Move - February 18th, 2006 at 03:41 AM
Merme, isn't it funny how when you move from one place to another that nothing seems to fit. Every curtain rod or curtain isn't even close to the 100 you have in storage.

I was so happy when I finally got my own house, I shall never move again.

Your lucky you found the coffeepot to put the soup in. I found that a good place to put shoes are in an under bed storage box. Only one pair for each family member are allowed out at a time.

Glad to see you back by the way, I get nervous when I don't see you here in the morning.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]