A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: 'Sparagus I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 11:46 AM
Hey guys! I havent really posted here much, mainly on the fruits and veggies page. But I wanted to share this. Making friends isnt easy, ya know? So, on another web site I frequent, I was trying to get more involved with a certain board. Found out, if you use "blinkies" there, you're basically considered untouchable! I wont go into too much detail. Let's just say I posted at the wrong place at the wrong time, and got to feeling like a total outcast. clp

That's all, just reaching out and saying hi! gab

Karen

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jonni13 Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 12:04 PM
kissies Hugs 'Sparagus.
Posted By: netty Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 12:11 PM
Sending over a hug 'Sparagus kissies
Posted By: Fernie Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 12:12 PM
Well I think some are wackier than others of course!! I come and go around here so don't be surprised if you don't see me for a few months at a time.

Duh

Hugs
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 12:19 PM
Karen, stick around here---we're a wacky, fun-loving bunch! kissies

(((Hugs)))
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 12:40 PM
Found out, if you use "blinkies" there, you're basically considered untouchable! I wont go into too much detail. Let's just say I posted at the wrong place at the wrong time, and got to feeling like a total outcast.
What the......! kissies
Posted By: Triss Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 12:54 PM
Karen, that is just not right. We are all wacky and crazy here so forget that other place and make your home here with us! We will treat you right!
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 01:07 PM
flw THANK YOU! flw

[Linked Image]

Dont worry, that other site had nothing to do with gardening.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 01:27 PM
For you, Karen - feel free to be wacky here with us anytime!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 01:32 PM
Okay 'Sparagus, what the heck is a "blinkie"???
I am soooooooooooo curious...

You all seem pretty wacky and fun loving.
Cindy and Laura are the grinnnn wink laugh ...

But this site really is a nice family orientated group... Who love gardening, and doin' a bit o' yakkin' on the side too!
*We'd be havin' a serious Backyard BBQ if everyone lived closer too*

And remember, GOD works in MYSTERIOUS WAYS 'Sparagus..
He puts people in our paths... angell
Posted By: Triss Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 01:40 PM
Amen to that Weezie!
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 02:02 PM
Blinkies [Linked Image]
are little things you can put in your posts flw to make them more colorful, and maybe tell others about you a little.
Posted By: Triss Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 02:29 PM
Oh those are way cute. I just found a bunch of them. Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 02:34 PM
Cindy and Laura are the wacky one's, I'm fun loving
Yeh, but Cindy is the seriously wacky one...I'm just a wacky one in training! wink
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 02:38 PM
I have some Cindy blinkies!
Can I use them here without being shunned?
I think so! thumbup laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JV Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 06:24 PM
'Sparagus looks like I will be the first old man here to give you a cyberhug(((((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))))). I was on 5 gardening? sites before I found this . Could not get an answer from any of them when I would ask something it was ether ignored or someone would say "I thought everyone knew that" . Since finding this place I took them off my favorites in about an hour. I think it may have been Vanessa or Cindy that helped me first then Weezie and Loz and Catlover was right there as was Ducky. I sure miss Catlover and Duckey.
But peppereater should be here before long wrapping his cyber arms around you. Welcome to the forum. If there is anyway I can help you let me know I will try my best to help anyway I can.
Posted By: Bill Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 08:20 PM
I sure miss Catlover
Me too!!!! eek
I hope she will be back soon...
Posted By: Sonja53 Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 09:35 PM
As a sociologist currently doing research about the type of people who join forum communities, I've observed the gardenhelper site for several months. Though this site shares many common traits with other forums, there are some unique differences.

My study excludes casual members who limit their forum participation to plant topics, focusing instead on members who, to paraphrase them, consider this forum to be their "home". The gardenhelper community seems to engage in less blatant back-biting that other similar forums, however, co-existing with the good-natured camaraderie and obvious caring among members, I discern a subtle, disturbing undercurrent. Some of the regular posters to this site, particularly those with inordinately high number of posts, exhibit an unusual devotion to the gardenhelper community, such as that found amongst individuals attracted to certain dysfunctional self-help groups and cults. Certainly not all members fall into this category but there seems to be a rather disproportionate number compared to other forums.

As enough preliminary data are collected from gardenheper.com, I will be moving onto the next case study, however, if anyone is interested in learning more about the current study, have any questions, or are interested in receiving a copy of the study once it is published, feel free to PM me. I will check for messages for at least a couple weeks, longer if interest exists.

Regards,
Sonja
Posted By: melcon6 Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 09:44 PM
Did we all just get psychoanylized? thumbup

Hugs for you, 'Sparagus!! No one is ridiculed here! We all learn, every day.
Posted By: JV Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 10:18 PM
by Mel
Did we all just get psychoanylized? .....
shk me thinks so. Maybe she can get us all to cedar hill at same time make everyones dream come true when she sells this. But we already knew we are nutz
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
GOOD MORNING! Whoa.....very interesting....

As a sociologist currently doing research about the type of people who join forum communities, I've observed the gardenhelper site for several months.
grinnnn

All those messages kept me from jumping on and seeing what was going on in anti-blinkie land.....

Well my "boss" is whining, back at naptime, if that ever happens! laugh

Karen flw
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 24th, 2006 at 11:36 PM
Some of the regular posters to this site, particularly those with inordinately high number of posts, exhibit an unusual devotion to the gardenhelper community, such as that found amongst individuals attracted to certain dysfunctional self-help groups and cults.
WOW! thumbup

This is our internet "home" and I truly know there isn't a better net place to be, or a better group of people to be here with.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 12:27 AM
hugs for you sparagus.

come back and see us anytime, We are all friends here!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 12:29 AM
Some of the regular posters to this site, particularly those with inordinately high number of posts, exhibit an unusual devotion to the gardenhelper community, such as that found amongst individuals attracted to certain dysfunctional self-help groups and cults.
boy did she miss the boat on me!! BUT...

as a psych major hoping to minor in sociology, there are some very serious points... and i am glad that sonja discovered that WE ARE NICE!!!

{{{{{'sparagus }}}}} you are hugged, well and truly!

and, i'm glad you inspired sonja to post! from a clinical aspect, we are a unique group, and from a web perspective we are even more unique!

so, if normal isn't like us, i don't want to be normal!!!

ok, off here to start work! have a good day everyone!
Posted By: JV Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 12:38 AM
I agree Jiffy. But nobody ever said we were normal. Also seems to me she needs to take up gardening and unwind some. She wants to analyze us we want to analyze our garden's and plants and see how we can improve them and make very good and close friends while we are at it. How can you beat that. Cult no dysfunctional not hardly I know blood families that are not as functional as we are. Maybe she just needs a cyber hug. Here Sonja just for you ((((((((hugs)))))
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 12:40 AM
well said Jiffy and Jimmy clp clp clp wink
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 01:16 AM
I do see where she is coming from. But I think her posting on this thread is a little odd. Kind of makes her seem a little less legit to me. It would have probably been more appropriate for her to start her own thread introducing herself, and telling us about what she's been up to.

A first post, here, and using the words "dysfunctional" and "cult" frown kinda gets me thinking "troll"...Im not making an accusation, but it seems like it could be taken the wrong way and start trouble. Someone who's been researcing these types of communities would definitely know that.

As long as it wasnt a hit and run post, and she can explaine a little more (maybe in a new thread) I wont think it was done to get anyone upset.

And thanks again for all your replies!!! This has made my day.

OK, must finish cleaning cockatiel Cherry's cage, and get out and dig some daisies Im relocating before the sun gets too strong!

smile

K
Posted By: chenno Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 03:49 AM
Hugs to ya;)

afgreyparrot those banners are cool! did you make them? where do i find something like that.I like the happy hour one..
I just saw a sticker on a back of a car that said stupidity should be painful...kinda sad, yet kinda funny in a sick way..unless i have a warped humor...possibly.
Posted By: princessazlea Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 03:57 AM
grinnnn [Linked Image]
Posted By: comfrey Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 04:03 AM
Originally posted by JV:
I agree Jiffy. But nobody ever said we were normal. Also seems to me she needs to take up gardening and unwind some.
I also agree!!! But the question here is what is Normal???? Duh Normal for one person is not necessarily normal for another.....And gardening can be relaxing if you allow it to be. flw flw flw

Welcome Karen...I read your posts and you are not left out!!! ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))
Posted By: Bill Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 04:17 AM
Some of the regular posters to this site, particularly those with inordinately high number of posts, exhibit an unusual devotion to the gardenhelper community
After being on the net for nearly 9 years (July 4, 1997), and supporting one another through the deaths, the births and the disasters of our members, we DO some very devoted "family" members here, but we certainly aren't a cult!

inordinately high number of posts
You can post in a lot of topics in nine years time!
grinnnn
Posted By: Triss Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 04:23 AM
All I have to say is that if we are indeed dysfunctional and cultish, let me in. Cuz this kind of family is so much more supportive and understanding than many out there in the "real" world.
Posted By: barleychown Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 04:39 AM
Too true!

I love the support here.

And the "blinkies" make me smile, so let's see them! grinnnn
Posted By: BeckyB Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 04:50 AM
Hugs to you Karen!
kissies
And a kiss too!

Bill, is it possible to come up with a hugging graemlin?

I have a question about Sonja's study and it's publication: is she allowed to specifically name thegardenhelper.com? Is it considered libel if she does?
After all the work the hostesses and Bill, and our other unofficial bouncers, have put into this forum I hate to think what might happen if those comments were actually put in print and distributed to who knows where?
Am I the only one concerned about this?
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 04:52 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the regular posters to this site, particularly those with inordinately high number of posts, exhibit an unusual devotion to the gardenhelper community

Its called having friends and talking with people who care!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
such as that found amongst individuals attracted to certain dysfunctional self-help groups and cults.
I can only speak for myself, but let me say this, i am not one who is or ever easily influenced by anyone, i have made some great friends on here and wouldnt trade them for anything, and i can honestly say that i am a little offended by the cult comment, but i need to ask, did you have a bad experience on here to make you think that?
Posted By: BeckyB Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 05:02 AM
P.S. to my earlier post: I too have made some wonderful friends here. Everyone is so supportive and kind and I was welcomed in with open arms. Times that I've been off for a few days I was sent PMs just to make sure I was ok!

I have a hard time making friends (because I have been stabbed in the back and used so many times) but this forum is world-wide and it is so easy to find people to really connect with and not be afraid of getting intentionally hurt!
Not to say we don't have any disagreements and misunderstandings, but everyone here is so tolerant and forgiving, and mature that it's easy to accept and respect our differences.

I have learned so much about gardening that I can't wait till the weather gets warmer and I can share all my successes and failures with my Forum family!

Plus I can get on here anytime and not worry if I haven't taken a shower yet or my hair and make-up aren't perfect or I'm just wearing sweats or still in my pjs or my face is swollen from allergies...
(and no one can hear me yelling at my kids...) lala lala lala
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 05:17 AM
kissies clp Hugs for Becky!!
Well put too..
Posted By: BeckyB Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 05:26 AM
Penny
kissies and hugs!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 05:26 AM
Originally posted by BeckyB:
Hugs to you Karen!
kissies
And a kiss too!

Bill, is it possible to come up with a hugging graemlin?

I have a question about Sonja's study and it's publication: is she allowed to specifically name thegardenhelper.com? Is it considered libel if she does?
After all the work the hostesses and Bill, and our other unofficial bouncers, have put into this forum I hate to think what might happen if those comments were actually put in print and distributed to who knows where?
Am I the only one concerned about this?
good question becky! usually, if you name participants in a study, you have to have their WRITTEN permission. otherwise, it is considered an "actionable" offense. bill and i will have to check with our legal teams (personal for each of us, but they will advise when necessary for the site) to see if we need more info.
Posted By: BeckyB Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 05:31 AM
Thanks Jiffy!
kissies kissies
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 05:35 AM
WOW Sonja... [Linked Image]

I second EVERYTHING that EVERYONE ELSE has responded to you here. And I must add, that your blasting in here with your commentaries out of NOWHERE is rather dysfunctional at the least. As someone else here said - how about joining the GH and introducing yourself, before SNEAKING around here and psychoanalyzing us without permission?

And, as Becky has said... you might think about getting written permission from any of us that you might intend to quote, before doing so. It's the courteous thing to do, ya know?!?

Karen... [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] Lynne
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 05:38 AM
Im not worried about it. I think she is bogus, because like I said earlier, why would she post in the middle of this thread? And where is she? Although I did PM her a link to the site where I was having trouble, and if she checked it out, she wont have any need to come back here!! laugh

Actually, once I did run into someone who was writing a book and wanted to quote me and some others from the site, and I did email her written permission.

Thank you all for your warm welcome and support. I better get outside now! My mini garden helper is getting antsy!

Karen
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 06:09 AM
Originally posted by 'Sparagus:
I do see where she is coming from. But I think her posting on this thread is a little odd. Kind of makes her seem a little less legit to me. It would have probably been more appropriate for her to start her own thread introducing herself, and telling us about what she's been up to.
I agree... thumbup

Originally posted by Sonja53:
...I discern a subtle, disturbing undercurrent. Some of the regular posters to this site, particularly those with inordinately high number of posts, exhibit an unusual devotion to the gardenhelper community, such as that found amongst individuals attracted to certain dysfunctional self-help groups and cults.
Well......... shk

Cindy (oink oink)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: patches1414 Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 08:28 AM
Hi 'Sparagus! wavey

Hugs to you! kissies
Posted By: pcgrav Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 09:51 AM
Here's a hug for ya!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Okay--well I don't have an "inordinately high" number of posts grinnnn but I am on here at least once EVERYDAY--I just couldn't get through my day with hearing from the "BEST BUNCH OF FRIENDS I'VE EVER HAD"
and I gotta tell ya-- I wouldn't trade my membership here for another, anyplace else in the whole cyber world!!-- Although they may not know it, the friends I have made here have helped me through some of the toughest times in my life-- and they did it just by being themselves-- and to all of you-- I say thankyou and keep it up!!-- and hopefully before too long I'll be outta the books and back on here for more than just readin'-&-runnin'!!! laugh grinnnn laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 09:54 AM
wavey
Posted By: pcgrav Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 10:03 AM
wavey
Hi Loz!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 10:13 AM
Don't get to see you around too often anymore, just wanted to make sure I got to tell you hi! wavey
Posted By: Triss Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 10:54 AM
Hi there Tricia, I have to pop in with a hello since I do not see much of you these days either.
Posted By: Bill Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 12:36 PM
Based on the facts that were revealed in our investigation of Sonja53 and her post, we have concluded that this was nothing more than a feeble attempt by cricket and her croanies to once again infiltrate our forum and cause problems and dissent.

Until such time that Sonja53 can satisfactorily prove her identity and credentials, she has been moved to the dungeon of shame (with the rest of her little gang)

I apologize to any and all of our members who felt uneasy about her post! On the advice of my attorney I have forwarded a copy of this post as well as previous posts designed to disrupt this forum! We will take further legal actions as necessary to prevent another such invasion! kissies
Posted By: Bill Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 12:42 PM
If anyone received PMs from this person, (Sonja53) please immediately forward them to me or one of your hostesses so I can send them on to my attorney and her internet service provider for further action!

Thank you!
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 12:56 PM
frown Wow, are you serious? shk

Just a troll, what I thought! No need to apologize, this thread has been awesome!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 01:34 PM
{{{{tricia}}}} so glad to see you! and {{{{'sparagus}}}} just incase you needed another one! kissies
Posted By: Triss Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 01:39 PM
Good job on the investigation Bill.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 01:43 PM
ain't he great!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 01:54 PM
Sparagus.. I just got a few minutes to read this
First things first.. Big Hugs{{{{Sparagus}}}}

Second I understand about the other site(s) I posted a question waaaaaaaay back in November and today on email I got a response to that question Months later in the mean time From this site,,
I have learned to compost from here
I have made 2 shadebeds with the help of our members here..(which was the reason I happened on this site)
I have cooked fantastic reciepes from here and shared them with family..
I have made lifelong friends here.
I have found prayers and compassion are sincere here
I have gained knowledge about gardening I could never find in books here
I have recieved seeds from members here that are now growing outside and will come back year after year reminding me from whence they came-here!
I have found there is a great Man named Bill Here that looks out for everyone and will not tolerate any ill-will to anyone -Here
I have found a host of hostess that help Bill keep this site together with respect,and safety
I have found that even on my worse day I can get on here and truely Laugh about something someone is being silly about and Find I'm okay with the world,, Even if it's just the dancing bananas cuttin' up laugh
I have found inside of me is a tickled person when people show their first blooms of the season, I rejoice with them cuz' I know that feeling! kissies and {{{hugs}}to everyone! Hey Bill How'bout that Hugg'in graemlin Think we can concure him up?? cool

Most sincerly,

Diane
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 01:59 PM
oh diane, you gave me one of the best hugs i have ever gotten from here on a day i desperately needed one. i'm still trying to get it together enough to send your box! you are wonderful and i am proud you are in my cyber family!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 02:05 PM
angelblossom...beautifully said! kissies
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 02:08 PM
I totally agree with Jiffy and Cindy.....such nice words Angelblossom! kissies
Posted By: Triss Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 02:19 PM
Add my agreement in there too! THAT is what this place is all about and why we all call it home!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: I need a hug... - May 25th, 2006 at 02:21 PM
AHHH Thanks Jiffy! Now that's what I'm talking about... It feels good to give back warmth that was given me when I found the gardenforum!!
Just like an 'ol soft blanket!

I'm proud to be a part of your cyberfamily! grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I need a hug... - May 26th, 2006 at 12:30 AM
posted by bill"

feeble attempt by cricket and her croanies to once again infiltrate our forum and cause problems and dissent.

instead of causing dissent, she just brought us closer together, you attack one of us, your dealing with all of us!!!!! mad
Thanks for cementing our friendships thumbup
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: I need a hug... - May 26th, 2006 at 01:31 AM
LOL I dont know the person you all are talking about.....but oh my, if she does go to the board I started this thread about, laugh she will have no need to bother around here anymore! ( I sent her a link before realizing she was a phoney).
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: I need a hug... - May 26th, 2006 at 12:14 PM
((((( HUGS ))))) I am happy that you are happy here ... This really is a great bunch of people here!! I know I messed up a few times but all seem to be forgiving and nice! This is for all who in this forum that I really do think about and worry about all of you!!! [Linked Image]
Sparagus ... this place really is great!!
Posted By: BeckyB Re: I need a hug... - May 27th, 2006 at 12:41 AM
As a sociologist currently doing research about the type of people who join forum communities
I thought there was something really fishy about this post. I mean what kind of sociologist who is doing legitimate research would make those kinds of oppionated observations and actually post them on said forum before completing the research and, like others have said, introducing herself and her intended research before posting!

Enough of that.
Karen, have all these hugs and kisses made you feel better?
Welcome to the Forum family!
Hope you enjoy yourself and make strong, lasting relationships.

instead of causing dissent, she just brought us closer together, you attack one of us, your dealing with all of us!!!!!
Thanks for cementing our friendships
AMEN TO THAT SISTER!

Thank you Mr. Bill! kissies
Posted By: BeckyB Re: I need a hug... - May 27th, 2006 at 12:42 AM
Oh, Rita I LOVE that graphic.
That is sooooo sweet!
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: I need a hug... - May 27th, 2006 at 01:14 AM
Becky: Yes! I feel so welcomed. You guys are so nice. Ok, I better get outside! More later!
Posted By: BeckyB Re: I need a hug... - May 27th, 2006 at 03:48 AM
Karen,
kissies
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: I need a hug... - May 27th, 2006 at 05:18 AM
You've all proved it again thumbup thumbup

This is the best and most special place to come to again and again. thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]