A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: JV Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 13th, 2006 at 11:00 PM
700,000 acre's in the Texas Panhandle and South Plains has burned fron near Amrillo /borger east to near Oklahoma and sout into the south plains 8 towns have burned livestock burned trying to get away.
Jimmy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 13th, 2006 at 11:01 PM
Wow, Jimmy that's terrible....and sad... ters
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 13th, 2006 at 11:10 PM
All I've watched this morning is the Weather Channel.
This is so sad..... ters
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 12:19 AM
ters sca thats awful jimmy, keep us posted.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 01:23 AM
Altus Air Force Base was shut down last night because of fires.
Posted By: Triss Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 03:02 AM
It is just horrible. I hope you all can manage to stay safe down there.
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 04:31 AM
Keep safe everyone down there.
Posted By: tamara Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 08:32 AM
So sorry to hear of the loss. When is the destruction going to end? frown
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 09:19 AM
News just said over 1000 square miles in Texas panhandle has burned about the same in Oklahoma almost one solid fire from Groom and Borger
Tx to Okc.
Jimmy
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 10:49 PM
Jimmy...they just said yesterday was the worst day for wildfires in Texas history...that's after Sunday's destruction.
More tornadoes for the rest of the country, too.
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 11:00 PM
News just said the wild fires go from New Mexico /Texas line to Oklahoma on the Texas side. On New Mexico side from Tucumcari on I-40 to Texas Line. On Oklahoma side seems like fron Texas/Oklahoma line to almost Tulsa. Kansas/Oklahoma line south to Oklahoma/Texas line.Radio just said no grass in any of above states for livestock to eat that lived through the fires.
Jimmy
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 11:05 PM
They're exagerating the fires in OK. The biggest were out near El Reno...they burned for 2 days, at least. There have been others, but not as big as those. I think they're all out today...and fire danger is lower today.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 11:12 PM
All of these fires are just horrible and here in Arkansas where I live we have had nothing but rain and more rain, Yes the farmers are loving it...But now the ground is too wet to get my potatoes in and it will have to be retilled. There is mud everywhere.
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 11:14 PM
My wifes Aunt live in El Reno so I kno wabout those as she calls me. Ex sister inlaw lives in Guthrie was telling me about the fires up there. Just hope and pray we all start getting rain soon. We are under strict water ration and most lakes are very low.
Jimmy
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 14th, 2006 at 11:16 PM
Jimmy...if we ever get some rain, we'll have to try and set up that fishing trip! thumbup clp
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 15th, 2006 at 12:34 AM
Thats is right. My Grandson said to fish from the dam said the channel cats there were huge. clp clp
Jimmy
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 15th, 2006 at 08:38 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JV:
<strong> Thats is right. My Grandson said to fish from the dam said the channel cats there were huge. thumbup muggs
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 15th, 2006 at 08:38 AM
Say, where is the dam?
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 15th, 2006 at 09:00 AM
We actually have the burn ban lifted in a couple of counties in SE Oklahoma.
Posted By: patunia Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 15th, 2006 at 11:09 AM
haven't been around here in a while, been a busy year for us, and the year we decided to take in some vacation time....whew. the fires in and around central ok have just been horrible, i was so glad to be able to have the windows open in the house, but the other night the smoke from the fires in el reno was so thick it was making me choke. gladly the grass is starting to go green again so maybe it won't be quite so flammable....really sad to see all the burned land...and not just a little scary.
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 15th, 2006 at 05:49 PM
This is from Amarillo Globe News.
Fire Tornado: A fire-caused funnel cloud is viewed through the grass-fire smoke Monday on East Farm-to-Market Road 282.
This is caused by extreme heat from the fires which these fire Tornados can jump several miles and set down setting more fires. If your interested here is the paper link http://www.amarillo.com/stories/031406/new_4217531.shtml
Hope this is ok
Jimmy
Posted By: princessazlea Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 15th, 2006 at 09:09 PM
I never heard of fire Torando's. Its so sad about the animals. Everyone stay safe. kissies
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 12:25 AM
Fires are nearing TAMPA, FLA...
near St. Peter'sburg..
Go figure...
Everythings' so dry...
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 12:37 AM
Originally posted by weezie13:
Fires are nearing TAMPA, FLA...
near St. Peter'sburg..
Go figure...
Everythings' so dry...
Man that fire has really spread!!! laugh laugh

No seriously these fires have caused so much damage it is really sad.

At least where the fires burned outside of town the new grass is nice and green and growing good.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Amigatec:
At least where the fires burned outside of town the new grass is nice and green and growing good.
You took the words right out of my mouth Pat,
That's supposed to be fact that the land is green with growth after a fire, and it's supposedly good for the land...to have fire on them every so many years....
I know it's not good for the humans' but the land yes..
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 09:22 AM
Well....we watched the smoke from a fire to our south all afternoon...there was a big fire 5 miles south of us, and I mean due south, driven by 40 mile per hour winds, heading straight our way...It was mentioned on local news, supposed to send out helicopters...
We ran sprinklers all afternoon in anticipation, no updates on the local channels. This fire was about 1/4 mile from my mom, but to her east, I got her to put her sprinklers out. There was so much smoke that our clothes reek of smoke...about an hour ago, we stopped seeing the clouds of smoke, but we can still smell it.
Posted By: Triss Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 09:30 AM
Oh Dave, that is way too close to home. Were you able to go out and see where they were able to stop the fire?
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 09:54 AM
This is strange we have rain in the forecast this weekend.
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 11:04 AM
Triss...I'm in a very rural area...no telling where the fire was, but somewhere very near my mom...and headed toward us,as well. I think it must be out now, but there's still the smell of smoke in the air.
Yeah, Pat, they're saying 80% chance of rain Saturday...let's keep our fingers crossed!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 11:14 AM
Norman...I was watching this on NBC news tonight.
It looks awful...so scarey and sad.
Posted By: Triss Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 12:39 PM
I sure hope it is out. Are you still watering??? Or can you?
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 03:07 PM
Tonights news said they are evacuating towns in the Panhandle read where Amarillo has an evacuation plan going also. Memphis where my parents got married is in danger of going up as is Paducah I have an Aunt there but they say she and her sister are safe for now. Turkey and all those small towns are in danger from what I understand. Found out my Ex sister in law lost everything in Oklahoma so they are going to Baird Tx outside of Abilene . I wonder if they think that is a safer palce to be. Duh
Jimmy
Posted By: Triss Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 03:12 PM
Oh goodness Jimmy, that is just awful. So sorry that your ex sil lost everything. Will be praying for them. How are the fires right near you?
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 03:18 PM
The few we have here right now are under control or out. Just those North West of us and in Oklahoma are the bad ones.
Jimmy
Posted By: Triss Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 03:21 PM
Well I am glad you are safe. I hope you all get some rain soon!
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 09:53 PM
I guess the same fires in the Texas panhandle are still burning...5 days now. No mention of last night's fire on this morning's news. Rain chances near 100% for the weekend! I hope that includes everyone that needs it.
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 10:15 PM
They just said that the fire to our south has flared up again this morning. They still haven't shown exactly where it's at or how big it is, but they did mention the town south of us. A car was seen speeding away just before the fire started yesterday.
The Texas fires have killed 11 people and 10,000 animals.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 10:16 PM
prayinf for rain for those that are in the fire zones.
stay safe
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 16th, 2006 at 10:17 PM
A lot of the area that is burning is miles and miles of open grass, there's not a lot to stop it.

You get west of I-35, and it mostly open prairie.

We had a bad one just west of Tulsa.

It's really bad when the Weather Radar shows the smoke trails!!!
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 18th, 2006 at 11:16 AM
We are getting thunder and lightening now got dogs all exited supposed to get rain hope it rains in your too Pat and Dave. We all need it bad hope we all get as much as we can stand for now and the Panhandle gets enopugh to put out thier fires.
Jimmy
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 18th, 2006 at 11:24 AM
The forecast calls for 90% chance Sat and Sun, and a 30% chance about Thurs. They are talking about 1 to 2 inches.
Posted By: Triss Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 18th, 2006 at 11:35 AM
Hope you all get a bunch!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 18th, 2006 at 11:40 AM
SE Oklahoma may get 3" or more!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 18th, 2006 at 12:15 PM
Doin' the ole rain dance for you boys...
Hope you get some nice gentle rains... wink kissies angell angell
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 01:48 AM
Rained softly on and off all night. Raining hard again started about 11:00 this morning very cold here down to 52 an hour ago was 68 so cooling off too fast. Dave,Pat I hope you are getting some of this up there News says you are but knowing what liars most of the weathermen are I seldom beleive them. I think we have gotten around 2 inchs so far. Weather Channel showing rain to Tusla/Jones Airpport and OKC Tinker filed and heavy rain around Ardmore. Hope it is true.
Jimmy
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 02:27 AM
Well it has rained off and on all night and day. We just got back from Tulsa, was raining good in spots.

Went to an Air Show at Jones Airport last year, mostly old warbirds.
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 03:11 AM
It's raining to our south and north but only a trace here so far. Typical luck. At least the chances are good all weekend.
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 03:27 AM
Still raining from last night here they said about 2 inch so far more predicted until Monday sometime then a light freeze. sounds righ get some rain and then it freezes just what these idiots here need I-35 Ice rink.
Jimmy
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 06:10 AM
The rain has picked up off and on, I doubt it's 1/4 inch yet but more to come! thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 06:53 AM
thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 07:24 AM
We have had about 1/2 inch so far.
Posted By: Triss Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 07:51 AM
That is just wonderful to hear!
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 08:30 AM
We may have crossed the 1/4 inch mark...maybe even the 1/2!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 19th, 2006 at 12:08 PM
Not even a soaking into the dead grass layer huh guys.... I will keep doing the "Happy Rain Dance" for you all!!!
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 12:56 AM
Just over 3 inchs unofficially flood canals and ditches are full which is wonderful a prettier sight I can't remember.
Jimmy
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 01:18 AM
Originally posted by weezie13:
Not even a soaking into the dead grass layer huh guys.... I will keep doing the "Happy Rain Dance" for you all!!!
It must be working, weezie! We're up to 1.3 inches! YAY!
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 01:20 AM
It's a funny thing how some things green up overnight when it finally rains...a planter full of hens'n'chicks is suddenly very green...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 01:55 AM
My kids were watchin' me do that happy dance and they were thinkin' I'd lost it..
Well, I have, but they don't need to know that..
snicker...

VERY GLAD to hear you're finally getting some much needed rain!!! thumbup flw flw
(I'll keep doing it too, so you get some more)
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 02:53 AM
Having T-Storms right now rain coming down in sheets now we are under flash flood watch. Always some kind of watch if not for wildfires it's for floods in two days. frown That's ok at least we're not on fire now hope the Panhandle gets a pile of this also.
Jimmy
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 03:05 AM
I'll stop dancing Jimmy...
I asked for Gentle Rains originally...
Posted By: peppereater Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 03:17 AM
Gentle rain finally falling again...it had stopped for a few hours. Man, Jimmy, when it rains it pours! I'm glad we aren't getting that. At least some must have soaked in before now, or it would have washed all your topsoil away.
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 03:42 AM
topsoil??? that has pretty much already blown away. But yes it is nice with flood watch or not I live on a high spot so not worried about that part just enjoy seeing water in all the canals and bar ditches. My front and back yards are lakes so I know my garden is watered well.
Jimmy
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 06:23 AM
It has started raining here again as well, don't know how much we have had over the last 2 days, but the water is standing in puddles.
Posted By: Triss Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 12:51 PM
From dust to flooding. Where is the middle ground? I really wish you all would get some more nice gentle rain that soaks in instead of washing away.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 20th, 2006 at 09:00 PM
I heard they blamed one death on flooding in
Texas...
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 21st, 2006 at 08:53 AM
We have had 1.3 inches of rain in the last couple of days, and the Gov has lifted the burn ban!!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 21st, 2006 at 08:59 AM
BARBIE~QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 21st, 2006 at 09:05 AM
That is really good news, Pat!!!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 21st, 2006 at 09:33 AM
I will be firing up the BBQ this weekend!!!
Posted By: JV Re: Texas Panhandle and south Plains on fire - March 21st, 2006 at 09:38 AM
We got anywhere from 6 to 10 inchs depending on what news you listen to. Lot of lakes are running over and roads now blocked. Dallas levy's are 100 years old and they are afraid they will give way. Why don't these places rebuild stuff that is that old before something happenes? They have to know it's weak just from the age if no other reason.
Jimmy
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]