A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: MaryReboakly Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 07:53 AM
Since we have our own business, we don't have health insurance. I also hate the doctor. That said, we've been trying 'natural remedies' and stuff. I've been sneezing for months - and finally gave in to the idea that I might have developed allergies. So, long story short (okay, well I'll try anyway), I decided to try bee pollen (capsules). Mind you, I have never been stung before, and have no idea if I'm allergic or not -- but I figure, nobody in my family is, my dad used to kill them with his hand Duh Anyone think I should be worried? It's been a few hours...wouldn't it have already 'hit me' - I know people get stung and immediately need treatment if they're allergic...I'd think it'd be the same with a pill.

How stupid am I? frown

Helen thinks it's probably the leaves I kicked around and breathed in. I'm just not used to being allergic to ANYthing.

Any thoughts? Anyone wanna beat me with a broomstick?
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
Mary Mary...
I doubt if it's the bee pollen.
Bee pollen is good for you.

I'm severely allergic to bees, and I use to take bee pollen everyday to try to build up a little immunity to bee stings.

Cindy Faye
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 08:43 AM
well, my take on it is this. i wouldn't worry about it right now if you aren't having major problems. but... i wouldn't take it again unless it is under controled conditions... like no leaf raking?

seriously, be careful, i'd stick to fish oil capsules, that's what i use, that and green tea capsules.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 08:52 AM
I'm severely allergic to bees, and I use to take bee pollen everyday to try to build up a little immunity to bee stings.
grinnnn

Whatcha take fish oil fer, Jiff? I've always been a garlic-pill-popper/pusher but that's about it. I was takin a walk on the wild side by trying this bee pollen thing laugh

I'm just tired of sneezing and being all stuffed up like I've got the worst headcold for months on end now. My brother had hay fever and my mother said it used to flare up on him in the fall so I figured may be that's what this is -- or this Illinois air idea I need the smell of the subways/sewers/exhaust back! laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 09:00 AM
basicly the same as garlic, general health and cholesterol lowering. of course it is on a "when i remember" basis laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 09:04 AM
I've been sneezing for months - and finally gave in to the idea that I might have developed allergies.
Mary Mary...I didn't have any allergies until I was in my late 20's...then it was symptoms like you describe...and never went away. I thought I had the world's record for having a cold...but it was allergies.
I took the bee pollen in teeny tiny amounts...and not for very long. I got bored with it. :rolleyes:

From quackwatch.org...
Bee pollen and royal jelly should be regarded as potentially dangerous because they cause allergic reactions. People allergic to specific pollens have developed asthma, hives, and anaphylactic shock after ingesting pollen or royal jelly
shk
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 09:19 AM
it is on a "when i remember" basis
I'm really gonna make an effort to keep this health nut stuff up. It's so much cheaper than the doctor...assuming I don't end up having anaphylactic shock laugh Think I'm good though...cough seems to have settled down...it musta been the leaves :rolleyes:

I thought I had the world's record for having a cold
laugh sounds like me - I've been talking about this 'headcold' with just about anyone that will listen (or pretend, even!) laugh

I'm blaming Illinois for this one - I never had allergies in NY! :p

And, not for nuthin, but royal jelly sounds like it belongs in a thread in area 51....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 09:26 AM
laugh laugh you have to check out my post there...
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 09:34 AM
laugh I just did - TOO FUNNY!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 09:43 AM
And, not for nuthin, but royal jelly sounds like it belongs in a thread in area 51....
deleted....changed my mind... laugh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 10:33 AM
Hiya Mary! wavey

I need the smell of the subways/sewers/exhaust back
ewwwwwwwwwwwwe - never, YUCK!!! kissies

Hope you feel better soon! thumbup
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 10:43 AM
Hiya Lynne! wavey

Aww c'mon - wouldn't take you too long to get into the city and bottle up some of that yummy air and send it down my way! laugh

Good grief - if the COPAY for flonase was $50, imagine what it cost without insurance? shk

Please try to read up on this stuff BEFORE you take it!
shocked Yeah...I never said I was the brightest bulb....good thing I'm so cute! laugh

Seems like everything is hunky-dorey now with the breathing thing (glad too, cause I kinda like breathing!) Just bad timing for the ole lungs to get all funktified - I'll be more careful next time - Promise! laugh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 10:53 AM
Good grief - if the COPAY for flonase was $50, imagine what it cost without insurance?
When my father was given a prescription for it in Florida a few years ago the pharmacist told him it would be $73 - and that's on medicare!
He said NO THANKS!!! frown

wouldn't take you too long to get into the city and bottle up some of that yummy air and send it down my way!
Next time I'm in the city (?) I'll do just that! laugh
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 11:02 AM
$73 - and that's on medicare
That's absolutely insane!

Next time I'm in the city (?) I'll do just that!
Rockin! thumbup Can you make sure it's from the west side? At least 8th avenue or further west...preferably between 35th and 45th st where it's good and ripe?

nutz lala laugh
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 11:02 AM
When my father was given a prescription for it in Florida a few years ago the pharmacist told him it would be $73 - and that's on medicare!
He said NO THANKS!!!
That's why I don't like to go to the doctor...I have no insurance.

I have 4 prescriptions laying on the table right now that have been there for over a month and haven't been filled...because I don't have insurance.

It's pretty scarey sometimes.
Posted By: Merme Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 11:03 AM
MARY! You are NOT an idiot! Not by any stretch of the imagination!!

By the way, LOTS of people who experience "fall allergies" are actually allergic to the mold that is produced on the leaves and tree bark at this time of year. Which is why certain people suffer in some areas of the country in the autumn but not in other areas... as it depends on the foliage and the mold produced.

Thinking of you, kid; hope you are completely better soon!

[Linked Image]

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 11:04 AM
...preferably between 35th and 45th st where it's good and ripe?
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh lala
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 11:10 AM
I have 4 prescriptions laying on the table right now that have been there for over a month and haven't been filled...because I don't have insurance.
oh, Cindy Mindy Moo... are these drugs necessary to your pains and conditions?!?
Do you/can you get generic brands at a lower cost?
I hate to see you suffer more because you can't get what you need...
maybe give up a bottle of Beam in trade for meds?!? Duh kissies shk
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 11:10 AM
...preferably between 35th and 45th st where it's good and ripe?
Ummm. I wasn't even thinking about THAT...(the ONE time I wasn't!) laugh

Thanks, Merme -- I've been suspecting it could be the leaves because it seems like it started right when they started changing color....so what do I do but go and rake a bunch of em up today eh? I'm so bright. laugh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 11:13 AM
we posted at the same time, Mary -
how do you feel about Midori Coladas? muggs
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 12:05 PM
Midori Coladas? If it's anything like a Pina of the same last name, me like! laugh muggs
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 12:20 PM
It is!!! Except that it has Midori liquor instead of Rum -
very tasty like a honeydew colada -
no pain with those at all!!! thumbup -
I don't drink much at all, but that's one I'll never turn down! clp
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 01:52 PM
maybe give up a bottle of Beam in trade for meds?!?
shk
Posted By: tamara Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 07:42 PM
Question for ya? Here in Canada our dr's visits are paid for but I have no personal coverage for medication so that comes directly out of pocket. I was wondering when you say that you have no health insurance, does that mean no prescription coverage or that you even have to pay the doctor yourself also?
Posted By: Merme Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 8th, 2005 at 08:03 PM
Tamara, "no insurance" means that you must pay for doctors, hospitals, therapies, medications, equipment, tests and lab work, dental and eye care entirely yourself.

Merme
Posted By: geegeeburr Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 9th, 2005 at 06:23 AM
I got my allergies in my mid-20's, too. They corresponded almost EXACTLY to the time that we moved to California. When I went home to Indiana this summer to visit, it was like a week and a half of heaven- NO allergies!

$73 bucks on Medicare for nasal spray?!?!? You GOTTA be kidding!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 10th, 2005 at 05:11 AM
unfortunately, she's not. it's $153 for allegra if your insurance doesn't cover it... (mine doesn)
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 12th, 2005 at 08:12 AM
Jiffy, have you tried Drixoral? Helen has horrible allergies - tried every over the counter thing we could find and nothing worked. Went to the doc for some allegra - but knowing we didn't have insurance, he told her to try that first. Works wonders for her and only costs about $5 for a box of 24, I think. Might be worth a look-see wink
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 12th, 2005 at 08:34 AM
MARY! You are NOT an idiot! Not by any stretch of the imagination!!
idea

Hhhhmmmm...but I think that statement was made BEFORE you went out and raked a bunch of LEAVES!!!! We might want to re-consider....
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 12th, 2005 at 08:44 AM
This is true...and whaddya think I just got done doing again? laugh

Weird thing is, that I'm okay when I'm out there doing it...it's when I come in I get all clogged up. I'm starting to wonder if it's not the animals I'm allergic to now frown
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 12th, 2005 at 09:10 AM
Or Helen.... shk
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 12th, 2005 at 09:19 AM
Yeah, she tried suggesting that, too, but I told her she wasn't getting away that easy laugh
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 12th, 2005 at 09:21 AM
laugh laugh laugh Way to go Der Wiener Woman!!!!!!!! thumbup
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 12th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
laugh laugh muggs
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 13th, 2005 at 06:33 AM
I just read up on anaphylaxis yesterday and a first reaction may not occur for hours or even days - until long after you have forgotten what you ate or took. The second and subsequent reactions will be much quicker sometimes within 2-3 minutes. If you have severe food or bug allergies you should carry an Epi-pen no matter what the cost - it could save your life - also call 911 immediately, they can treat you before you get to the hospital. Nobody dies from overeacting to an allergy but aprox 1/3 of all deaths are due to not reacting quickly enough.

Flonase has been linked to cataracts so it's no great loss if you don't fill the scrip. Often times a move to a new environment will trigger allergies, even a year later. Your body had built up immunity to the allergens where you used to be an now it's under assault. This isn't the best medication in the world but you can get a bottle of 100 tabs of 10 mg Loratadine (the main ingredient in Zyrtec) at Costco for about $6. It doesn't work as well as the real thing but is a whole lot cheaper than the least expensive place, canadapharmacy.com (my friend when we are without insurance)Costco is also an inexpensive place to fill prescriptions.

If you suspect any kind of bee, fish or nut allergy you have to be careful of natural products because many of them contain fillers or main ingredients that you could be allergic to. I had my first very mild anaphylactic reaction at 50 and it's not something you every forget.
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 13th, 2005 at 06:36 AM
man that was a long and wordy response
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 13th, 2005 at 07:07 AM
Oh that's perfectly okay Bev...it is full of great info! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 14th, 2005 at 12:41 AM
yes it is, and we appreciate it! kissies
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Bee Pollen - am I an idiot? - November 14th, 2005 at 02:42 AM
Wow...thanks for that, Bev...a lot of great info there. I'm glad I posted this for that someone who is allergic and doesn't know it - may be they'll think twice before trying something, even natural. Better to be safe than sorry!

I'm going to check out canadapharmacy. I've gotten the loratadine for Helen, which didn't work for her, but didn't try it for myself - I'll give it a shot and hopefully that'll help. If only I hadn't let my sams club membership expire! ters May be they have it at wally world too, I'll check. Thanks!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]