This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131674 November 8th, 2005 at 07:53 AM
OP Offline
Since we have our own business, we don't have health insurance. I also hate the doctor. That said, we've been trying 'natural remedies' and stuff. I've been sneezing for months - and finally gave in to the idea that I might have developed allergies. So, long story short (okay, well I'll try anyway), I decided to try bee pollen (capsules). Mind you, I have never been stung before, and have no idea if I'm allergic or not -- but I figure, nobody in my family is, my dad used to kill them with his hand Duh Anyone think I should be worried? It's been a few hours...wouldn't it have already 'hit me' - I know people get stung and immediately need treatment if they're allergic...I'd think it'd be the same with a pill.

How stupid am I? frown

Helen thinks it's probably the leaves I kicked around and breathed in. I'm just not used to being allergic to ANYthing.

Any thoughts? Anyone wanna beat me with a broomstick?

#131675 November 8th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Mary Mary...
I doubt if it's the bee pollen.
Bee pollen is good for you.

I'm severely allergic to bees, and I use to take bee pollen everyday to try to build up a little immunity to bee stings.

Cindy Faye

#131676 November 8th, 2005 at 08:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, my take on it is this. i wouldn't worry about it right now if you aren't having major problems. but... i wouldn't take it again unless it is under controled conditions... like no leaf raking?

seriously, be careful, i'd stick to fish oil capsules, that's what i use, that and green tea capsules.

#131677 November 8th, 2005 at 08:52 AM
OP Offline
I'm severely allergic to bees, and I use to take bee pollen everyday to try to build up a little immunity to bee stings.
grinnnn

Whatcha take fish oil fer, Jiff? I've always been a garlic-pill-popper/pusher but that's about it. I was takin a walk on the wild side by trying this bee pollen thing laugh

I'm just tired of sneezing and being all stuffed up like I've got the worst headcold for months on end now. My brother had hay fever and my mother said it used to flare up on him in the fall so I figured may be that's what this is -- or this Illinois air idea I need the smell of the subways/sewers/exhaust back! laugh

#131678 November 8th, 2005 at 09:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
basicly the same as garlic, general health and cholesterol lowering. of course it is on a "when i remember" basis laugh laugh laugh

#131679 November 8th, 2005 at 09:04 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I've been sneezing for months - and finally gave in to the idea that I might have developed allergies.
Mary Mary...I didn't have any allergies until I was in my late 20's...then it was symptoms like you describe...and never went away. I thought I had the world's record for having a cold...but it was allergies.
I took the bee pollen in teeny tiny amounts...and not for very long. I got bored with it. :rolleyes:

From quackwatch.org...
Bee pollen and royal jelly should be regarded as potentially dangerous because they cause allergic reactions. People allergic to specific pollens have developed asthma, hives, and anaphylactic shock after ingesting pollen or royal jelly
shk

#131680 November 8th, 2005 at 09:19 AM
OP Offline
it is on a "when i remember" basis
I'm really gonna make an effort to keep this health nut stuff up. It's so much cheaper than the doctor...assuming I don't end up having anaphylactic shock laugh Think I'm good though...cough seems to have settled down...it musta been the leaves :rolleyes:

I thought I had the world's record for having a cold
laugh sounds like me - I've been talking about this 'headcold' with just about anyone that will listen (or pretend, even!) laugh

I'm blaming Illinois for this one - I never had allergies in NY! :p

And, not for nuthin, but royal jelly sounds like it belongs in a thread in area 51....

#131681 November 8th, 2005 at 09:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh laugh you have to check out my post there...

#131682 November 8th, 2005 at 09:34 AM
OP Offline
laugh I just did - TOO FUNNY!

#131683 November 8th, 2005 at 09:43 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
And, not for nuthin, but royal jelly sounds like it belongs in a thread in area 51....
deleted....changed my mind... laugh

#131684 November 8th, 2005 at 10:33 AM
Hiya Mary! wavey

I need the smell of the subways/sewers/exhaust back
ewwwwwwwwwwwwe - never, YUCK!!! kissies

Hope you feel better soon! thumbup

#131685 November 8th, 2005 at 10:43 AM
OP Offline
Hiya Lynne! wavey

Aww c'mon - wouldn't take you too long to get into the city and bottle up some of that yummy air and send it down my way! laugh

Good grief - if the COPAY for flonase was $50, imagine what it cost without insurance? shk

Please try to read up on this stuff BEFORE you take it!
shocked Yeah...I never said I was the brightest bulb....good thing I'm so cute! laugh

Seems like everything is hunky-dorey now with the breathing thing (glad too, cause I kinda like breathing!) Just bad timing for the ole lungs to get all funktified - I'll be more careful next time - Promise! laugh

#131686 November 8th, 2005 at 10:53 AM
Good grief - if the COPAY for flonase was $50, imagine what it cost without insurance?
When my father was given a prescription for it in Florida a few years ago the pharmacist told him it would be $73 - and that's on medicare!
He said NO THANKS!!! frown

wouldn't take you too long to get into the city and bottle up some of that yummy air and send it down my way!
Next time I'm in the city (?) I'll do just that! laugh

#131687 November 8th, 2005 at 11:02 AM
OP Offline
$73 - and that's on medicare
That's absolutely insane!

Next time I'm in the city (?) I'll do just that!
Rockin! thumbup Can you make sure it's from the west side? At least 8th avenue or further west...preferably between 35th and 45th st where it's good and ripe?

nutz lala laugh

#131688 November 8th, 2005 at 11:02 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
When my father was given a prescription for it in Florida a few years ago the pharmacist told him it would be $73 - and that's on medicare!
He said NO THANKS!!!
That's why I don't like to go to the doctor...I have no insurance.

I have 4 prescriptions laying on the table right now that have been there for over a month and haven't been filled...because I don't have insurance.

It's pretty scarey sometimes.

#131689 November 8th, 2005 at 11:03 AM
MARY! You are NOT an idiot! Not by any stretch of the imagination!!

By the way, LOTS of people who experience "fall allergies" are actually allergic to the mold that is produced on the leaves and tree bark at this time of year. Which is why certain people suffer in some areas of the country in the autumn but not in other areas... as it depends on the foliage and the mold produced.

Thinking of you, kid; hope you are completely better soon!

[Linked Image]

Merme

#131690 November 8th, 2005 at 11:04 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
...preferably between 35th and 45th st where it's good and ripe?
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh lala

#131691 November 8th, 2005 at 11:10 AM
I have 4 prescriptions laying on the table right now that have been there for over a month and haven't been filled...because I don't have insurance.
oh, Cindy Mindy Moo... are these drugs necessary to your pains and conditions?!?
Do you/can you get generic brands at a lower cost?
I hate to see you suffer more because you can't get what you need...
maybe give up a bottle of Beam in trade for meds?!? Duh kissies shk

#131692 November 8th, 2005 at 11:10 AM
OP Offline
...preferably between 35th and 45th st where it's good and ripe?
Ummm. I wasn't even thinking about THAT...(the ONE time I wasn't!) laugh

Thanks, Merme -- I've been suspecting it could be the leaves because it seems like it started right when they started changing color....so what do I do but go and rake a bunch of em up today eh? I'm so bright. laugh

#131693 November 8th, 2005 at 11:13 AM
we posted at the same time, Mary -
how do you feel about Midori Coladas? muggs

#131694 November 8th, 2005 at 12:05 PM
OP Offline
Midori Coladas? If it's anything like a Pina of the same last name, me like! laugh muggs

#131695 November 8th, 2005 at 12:20 PM
It is!!! Except that it has Midori liquor instead of Rum -
very tasty like a honeydew colada -
no pain with those at all!!! thumbup -
I don't drink much at all, but that's one I'll never turn down! clp

#131696 November 8th, 2005 at 01:52 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
maybe give up a bottle of Beam in trade for meds?!?
shk

#131697 November 8th, 2005 at 07:42 PM
Question for ya? Here in Canada our dr's visits are paid for but I have no personal coverage for medication so that comes directly out of pocket. I was wondering when you say that you have no health insurance, does that mean no prescription coverage or that you even have to pay the doctor yourself also?

#131698 November 8th, 2005 at 08:03 PM
Tamara, "no insurance" means that you must pay for doctors, hospitals, therapies, medications, equipment, tests and lab work, dental and eye care entirely yourself.

Merme

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard