A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: njoynit I got a duck! - May 4th, 2005 at 05:13 PM
I got a pet duck.hes a Peking duck.named Tex.Anyone else ever had a duck?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I got a duck! - May 4th, 2005 at 06:46 PM
We had a bunch of ducks growing up when I was a kid..
Here's the kind we had...
White Pekin Ducks and White Muscovy

Are yours the same?

Weezie
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I got a duck! - May 5th, 2005 at 02:19 AM
njoynit!!!
I have missed you! eek

Why, of course afgrey had a duck! laugh
We always lived in the city until I was 12 years old, then moved to Kentucky. Talk about culture shock! shk (This was WAY different than Washington, D.C., or Norfolk, Virginia!)

Well, of course, everyone made fun of our "accents" ("Ya'll ain't from 'round here, are ya?"), and our lack of knowledge about farm animals (yeah...but I ended up getting milk out of that cow finally!)

So...we got 2 duck babies.

We would have done a lot better with our "duck farm", but we lived right smack in the middle of town...2 blocks from Main Street! (He!!, we didn't know any better!) laugh shocked
We bought our ducks (appropriately named "Daffy" and "Donald" :rolleyes: ) a nice little plastic swimming pool to call home, when we had decided they were big enough to go outside! (we could NOT paper train those things in the house!)

They soon outgrew the plastic pond, so we bought a bigger one. Much better!

Well, these ducks were raised by city slickers (that's what they called us when we moved here), so they ended up as pets. Actually, they thought they were dogs! They would follow us everywhere we went. When we walked to the store a block away, Donald and Daffy tagged right along, and waited for us in the creek beside the store. Sometimes when we were ready to leave, they wouldn't get out of the creek. So, we'd leave them. Man, when we got about 100 feet up the road, those sissy ducks would start running after us, making loud "duck" noises that meant "Wait! Don't leave me!"

It finally got out of control when school started, (this was back when kids walked to school!), and the ducks would follow us to school.
So, to make a long story sad, we ate the ducks.

I'M KIDDING! ! ! ! ! ! !
laugh

We took them to my uncle's farm, and they lived many happy years on a huge pond!

The End!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I got a duck! - May 5th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
Our duck was named Donald too!!
His girlfriend's name was Queenie!!!
She had a big boof on top of her head of feathers.
*hence the name, Queenie, she looked like she had a crown on..*
But I loved those ducks...
so cute..
*The White Muscovy's were butt ugly...
*well, the babies were cute until they got that
red mask on thier faces... the girls weren't too bad, but the males were, butt ugly!!!* kissies cool

So, what did you get, Njoynit, a boy and a girl?
Two boys, two girls..??

Weezie
Posted By: njoynit Re: I got a duck! - May 5th, 2005 at 03:44 PM
From best I can tell searching online....I believe I have a male..so his name is correct at least as far as I know.(His butt feathers don't curl up)He won't follow me yet,but Indy is following Debra..who is likely female.her butt shaped different has a kinda curl to the tip.They still got the yellowish stuff& debra says they will lose that.shes had one before up Indy,but was younger than these& she keept for 4 months& she had a leash.mines got less yellow& seems his beek/feet are darker,but not quiet orange yet.He likes to sit in my hair& is quiet the wildman.he nibbles my ear& his nibbles don't hurt yet,but Indys does.she was tugging my skin on my legs& shes fasinated by my rings& likes to grab cigg butts out of ashtray& she tried to drink my beer.
Hubby has already told me he ain't staying in house.I'm still working on a diaper so not have to pay $30-$50 for one.I'm going with a overall type,but when he shakes his butt it shifts so will try some elastic from old underware.I tried the plastic baggie with scotch tape and he wabbled it off,then tried rubberband& it rolled down butt,then he played with it.I've been useing my old black pre formed pond which is enough for now& when cleaned my filters out of big pond let them swim while I.Tex ran up& over a lilly pad& will get a larger pool just for them(no way to filter their crap from my pond& i've already felt the bottom & next nice steamy day will be grabbing yucky stuff off bottom.
He sleeps in laundry basket at night and for quiet time(he's not even QUACKING yet!!)It sits on top of dryer with towel in& over top and I keep just water with him at night,cause the 1st night I'd swear he sleept in his feed bowl.He woke up and was in my kitchen sink getting cleaned at 4:30 with hubby yelling if he didn't get no coffee Tex would be duck soup.He even CALLS him duck soup& is wondering how deep fried duck would taste.
I'm still reading up on my duckie.He don't like rough roads...he complains the whole way to bus stop& he goes in circles alot.stands in water bowl to eat feed stands in feed to drink water.my cat tried eyeballing him and I decided to deck his head into the floor.He got the point.He runs from duck now. My lil B**** got pecked by Indy and all she did was lay there,so she really avoids duckie now.He chases her.country ho keeps wanting to sniff its butt,shes undecided.Bassett hound checked out when 1st brought home since then mostly ignores him,but did say was not shareing dog food.My rotti had thoughts till got nose hit by me.totally ignores now.

Cindy I figured ya may have done the duck thang...I was gonna e mail ya about dipers.figured ya may tried on Lola.I found a site that has flight suits for lola!$20& for $99 they will do 6 suits
http://www.flightquarters.com/index.html
I'm on my 2nd try& will be adding elastic to see how that does& may need trimming some more.

Here's links I've ran into

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/5397/

http://www.abc.net.au/creaturefeatures/facts/ducks.htm

About why NOT to be feeding bread to ducks.
http://www.liveducks.com/bread.html

The best fact sheet I ran across.
http://www.liveducks.com/care.html
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I got a duck! - May 5th, 2005 at 04:01 PM
I swear, njoynit, you just made my DAY! laugh

I love reading your stuff!
You are the coolest! thumbup
You just made me laugh so hard...picturing all that!
[Linked Image]

Cindy
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I got a duck! - May 5th, 2005 at 04:10 PM
with hubby yelling if he didn't get no coffee Tex would be duck soup.He even CALLS him duck soup& is wondering how deep fried duck would taste.
Everytime I Googled for a picture on the duck,
I kept getting Chinese Food places and how
to cook duck. :rolleyes:

Weezie
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: I got a duck! - May 5th, 2005 at 04:24 PM
njoynit, that was a great read! I was laughing while I was reading and Angel (my furbaby) was looking at me like I was crazy! laugh

Tell your hubby that duck meat is very greasy. It wouldn't be good for his cholesterol. wink

I never knew that feeding ducks bread was wrong. Thanks to the article you linked up, I will not be feeding any of them again. I didn't know I was hurting them. grinnnn

Dianna
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I got a duck! - May 5th, 2005 at 04:48 PM
Everytime I Googled for a picture on the duck,
I kept getting Chinese Food places and how
to cook duck.
laugh laugh laugh

Putting a diaper on Lola..... nutz
I DON'T THINK SO! ! ! ! ! ! !
I would have several missing fingers if I tried that little stunt!
(Thank God she is potty trained!)

You should have seen me trying to invent pants for Angel while she was in season.
Pants never worked for me, either! laugh shocked lala
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: I got a duck! - May 5th, 2005 at 04:59 PM
shk laugh laugh laugh

Dianna
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I got a duck! - May 5th, 2005 at 05:40 PM
lala
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: I got a duck! - May 6th, 2005 at 04:52 AM
but we lived right smack in the middle of town...2 blocks from Main Street! (He!!, we didn't know any better!)
I grew up in downtown Tulsa (Oklahoma) and we had guinea hens in the back yard. My dad thought they made a better security system than a dog did. There was an alley next to our house and wine-o's would get souced and walk down the alley, the guineas would be up in the trees and start the biggest comotion...you talk about a bunch of drunks freakin out! laugh That was our entertainment! Dad liked to keep about 10 or 12...but the trash men kept taking them home to eat!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I got a duck! - May 6th, 2005 at 01:42 PM
laugh ROFL @ everyone laugh

Congrats on the ducks...gotta picture of them yet?

I'd love to have a little duck for my pond but,with all of the strays around here I don't think it would have much of a chance to survive.

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I got a duck! - May 6th, 2005 at 02:55 PM
the trash men kept taking them home to eat!
I love guinea chickens! (Not to eat!)
That reminded of the Cubans who stole my 5 foot long iguana and had a big barbeque! ters

Cindy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I got a duck! - May 6th, 2005 at 04:28 PM
grinnnn
Posted By: JV Re: I got a duck! - May 6th, 2005 at 11:33 PM
:p Cindy had to calm Rickie and Lucie down after reading your post about eating 5 foot Iguana's as they are 5 foot Iguana's. laugh Had to asure them I would not let anyone eat them. Told them it was Blue Iguana's that got eaten not Green..Boy that was close. Whew laugh As you can see they arehiding in top of their cage.njoynit look at the free fertilizer you get. laugh
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/greywolf1842/LucienRicki.jpg
Jimmy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I got a duck! - May 8th, 2005 at 01:22 AM
jimmy, lucie and rickie are lucky to have you!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I got a duck! - May 8th, 2005 at 04:13 AM
Jimmy!

You have all kinds of way cool stuff, don't you?
Neat!
Hope one day I will be able to have all my pets like I used to.
(I used to be the county dog catcher, but ended up keeping too many of the dogs I was supposed to kill. Lost my job.)
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: I got a duck! - May 8th, 2005 at 09:24 PM
I love guinea chickens! (Not to eat!)
Yeh, I do too! They are so much fun. I drove up my friend's driveway and noticed there were umbrellas hanging in all of her trees. ??? Duh
She says that's the way to keep the guineas out of them! It looked pretty funny...like something you would see in my yard!
Posted By: Longy Re: I got a duck! - May 8th, 2005 at 10:48 PM
If you get a duck, that means you were playing cricket and you got out for nil runs. So getting a duck is not necessarily a good thing:)
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: I got a duck! - May 9th, 2005 at 04:13 AM
BUT...if you are playing duck, duck, goose...getting a duck is a GOOD thing..you get to stay in the circle! (I have a 2yr old) grinnnn
Posted By: MissJamie Re: I got a duck! - May 9th, 2005 at 05:12 AM
I posted this the other day and it didn't go through?? mad frown Duh but anyway I used to have a duck but now it's in duck heaven angell but I remember when I was little I'd always ask them to buy me some of those plastic easter eggs so I could show my duck how to hatch her eggs because she'd lay them (and she didn't even have a boyfriend) laugh laugh her name was quackers laugh wink
Posted By: Longy Re: I got a duck! - May 9th, 2005 at 04:47 PM
I had a pet duck once. Drake actually. Loved to fight dogs. Bigger the better. Never won a fight except for the time this little lapdog named fifi wandered into the yard and the drake rode it for about 50 metres holding onto its ear and flapping away while the dog yelped and ran like blazes. Then it went down the road and jumped the fence to give the neighbours' rottweiler a touch up...
We buried Luckyduck under the poinciana.....Geez they bleed a lot.
Posted By: Fernie Re: I got a duck! - May 10th, 2005 at 05:11 PM
I grew up in a little country town but not on a farm.

I went to my aunt's farm for the first time when I was 7. I thought the baby birds were so cute. Unfortunately, those cute fluffy ducks were not ducks...they were geese. The mom bites, hard. Really hard. While beating the heck out of you with her wings!!! And I am sure I am only 5'4" because I had a year's growth scared out of me by the mama pig!!!!! Wow they can move!!!!

My daughter is taking zoology in school this year. They hatched some eggs, I guess we are getting 2 chickens, no idea what kind.
Posted By: phoenix Re: I got a duck! - May 10th, 2005 at 09:21 PM
WOW THATS GREAT FRENIE NOW YOU'LL HAVE REAL FRESH EGGS FRO BREAKFAST Duh )
Posted By: Fernie Re: I got a duck! - May 11th, 2005 at 03:16 AM
why yes, yes it does. And so does the horse's doovers we have all over the place. LOL I already have 4 horses, 2 cats, 2 dogs, a couple of calves on the way, what's a couple of chickens???
Posted By: njoynit Re: I got a duck! - May 12th, 2005 at 05:22 AM
I got lost for a few days.was a comp problem called "NEPHEW"I'm now password protected,but not "lets flip this switch"protected,but have told him a belt will remind him why I said STAY AWAY FROM THE COMP.
I have now added Galveston.He's a younger duck.Tex didn't like being away from Indy& would take 4 hours to stop squacking.so we've solved THAT problem.he's still yellow& about half their size.Tex& Indy feel so soft& fluffy right now.They all like my dianthus& were chomping on some nastruims.They go out to pond 7-8ish and leave pond at 7 pm and to bed at 9 pm.they won't go to black pond,they prefer the real pond(smart ducks)Everyone seems to enjoy seeing me chase my ducks to come in the evening.they won't follow me,but will run from me.mine don't care for diaper& guess will just keep moping it up when are inside.and when they sit in my lap and miss popping on towel...well duck poop is warm.lol I think my ducks are diveing in pond and killing my frogs,but have frogs still(Hubby just swore window was open and has said will shoot them if not quiet....I like to hear um.I found more tadpole eggs.showed to nephews today.they think is kewl)
I'm behind on pictures.being part of problem is I do them at neighbors house.I still have some on his computer to load and have 167 pics on my camera.

I can't wait for duck eggs.That will be a blast!
Posted By: njoynit Re: I got a duck! - May 21st, 2005 at 04:51 AM
Ducks are doing fine.I went digging for more water lillys today as the ones in pond the leaves are lookin haggard.seems bugs land on pads& ducks peck pads eating bugs....then is the 7 pm round-up.chase ducks out of pond...and away from going under house,then chase and grab who you can.Indy always seems to get caught 1st.we learned we can also "herd them" with water hose.Its easy to catch them in house for bedtime.usually asleep beside food/water under dresser thinggy(its got 18-20 inches of space under it.)
I have to keep running the dogs out of there food& then 2 days ago the dog ran THEM out of their food....which they scattered EVERYWHERE.I also may not be able to get them to follow me on land.....but if am in their pond....they'll follow me was funny,then nephews thought I was nuts(I was flapping elbows going AFLAK AFLAK& the ducks were following me)& I hand fed them some tadpoles& a grasshopper.They also now want out before 7 am& when they jump off porch to ground they don't fall over& Galveston runs...jumps....dives...comes up halfway across pond.The older 2 Tex& Indy will submerge but tails stick up.
And tonight....when playing"chase the ducks round-up"my hair got tangled in my sheapeards hook& didn't even get the duck.lolBarry yelled"why'd you stop running?"I'm like "Help,,my hairs stuck..hey someone get me outta this" laugh laugh laugh
muggs
Posted By: njoynit Re: I got a duck! - June 22nd, 2005 at 05:14 AM
I got DUCK PICTURES IN YAHHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!Now ya can lok at my babies.they done growed all their feathers now .I been adding tomatoes in their food also& lettuce and they'll even eat chicken,they still like that caviar in their pond though......they come to the door if I'm late feeding them& INDY is a fatty dude.He's took up with galveston(my galveston& Tex are gals)
go see um!
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: I got a duck! - June 22nd, 2005 at 05:20 AM
Originally posted by njoynit:
....they'll follow me was funny,then nephews thought I was nuts(I was flapping elbows going AFLAK AFLAK& the ducks were following me)& I hand fed them...
I bet that was a sight to see! laugh laugh laugh Got pics of that?

I looked at your duck album. They look so sweet. Are ducks mean like geese? We had a goose once that chased us all around trying to peck us!

Dianna
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I got a duck! - June 22nd, 2005 at 07:44 AM
I cool LOVE~LOVE~LOVE luv those ducks!!!
Sooooooooooooooooooooo cute...
(the two with the darker beaks look just like
the duck we had, Donald)
Oh, I miss that duck.. they were good slug
getter's too..
*although, I don't miss the slimy p**p!!!
we never had them penned in anywhere's or anything.
Posted By: njoynit Re: I got a duck! - June 23rd, 2005 at 06:49 AM
I've heard that geese are mean,but have heard sme that theirs was not...so maybe is in the rearing.......

I'll try a post of the aflack...when they do it again.they are quiet silly though.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I got a duck! - June 23rd, 2005 at 10:20 AM
njoynit...
I swear, I love looking at your pictures.
i just SMILE the whole time I'm lookin' at them.

You live in paradise, don't you?
I wish I could have a pond that big in my yard, with ducks. I have a 2 acre pond, but it's on the other side of town, and I don't get over there much...I need to move back to the farm!

.....but if am in their pond....they'll follow me was funny,then nephews thought I was nuts(I was flapping elbows going AFLAK AFLAK& the ducks were following me)
Is there any chance we could see a picture of THAT?
PLEASE???????? grinnnn

Cindy
Posted By: MissJamie Re: I got a duck! - June 23rd, 2005 at 10:53 AM
AFLAK!!! My friend has 2 ducks and everytime I go over there I aflak them and they just look at me like saying "what in the world is that human doing?!" lol!!
Posted By: njoynit Re: I got a duck! - June 24th, 2005 at 04:53 AM
yeah...my ducks talk about me all the time.they just chatter away and keep looking over at me....don't even have to turn my back.
So cindy....ya see the property albulm????is the motorless-go carts going downhill.it was a blast,but is TOO HOT now for that.Its a tarp pond& the ducks must really really love it cause they don't leave it much they hang out right there...sometimes venture in my flower beds eating.I yelled at them yesterday foir eating all the marigold blooms but one(Now how can I sow more....if they eating them.?)
The 2 with orange beaks are my females Tex& galveston.Galveston now has a black zip thinggy on his leg,but I can tell personality wise who is who.One of my girls has her quack,but I didn't catch who& didn't care at the moment...I was hot and ALL I WANTED WAS AIR!I usually wistle at them when i go in and out and if in yard.They like to be sprayed with the waterhose& when watering they drink around hydrant where it leaks.I kinda half hand feed them.I do their food in bowl(dog food/duck mash& tomotaoes or whatever is in fridge,lettuce,beans(beans...we had chili,,,i did dishes and they were in drain...I just dropped in their bowl,red beans,they gobbled right up)they've ate pop corn,mac& chesse.
oh and we seen them race for a bug& fight over it...was a grasshopper.I think they love those.Indy bared his chest up like "I'm the man...give me that bug!"We were laughing so hard.I was saying they needed to stop cause my stomach was hurting from laughing so hard.
and a miricle....so far today they have NOT knocked the water sprayer over in pond(yes....knocking on wood!)
Posted By: Suzi Re: I got a duck! - July 21st, 2005 at 08:57 PM
they are so adorable! my mom has some Black Swedish ducks which look like they are wearing a black tuxedo (very little white on their chest). they hatch eggs every year and they are so adorable.

reading your posts always crack me up njoynit!
Posted By: limey Re: I got a duck! - July 26th, 2005 at 11:30 PM
Come on gardenmom what about that poor little duck on the right. He stands there all day tapping his left leg dying to get in the water with the rest on them
PLEASE GIVE HIM A SWIM

Dave
Posted By: njoynit Re: I got a duck! - August 1st, 2005 at 05:45 AM
I added a couple pictures of them eating.My USB ports are off vacation now....so I can now do pictures whenever I WANT clp I'll have to see which 5 gallon bucket my cam is in....and when I'm online....I can spot ya a cam on them(MSN *njoynit3 or YAHOO *njoynit03) I'll also learn if have enough ink to print those buy a salad get a salad from sonic coupons.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I got a duck! - August 1st, 2005 at 10:56 AM
Those ducks are getting even cuter!!!
I want some!!! eek eek eek eek eek cool
Wish we could have them here in town...

I can't believe you feed them tomatoes...
*Don't they go into your garden and steal 'em
when you're not looking???*
Posted By: njoynit Re: I got a duck! - August 9th, 2005 at 06:15 AM
I have a fence.that keeps EVERYONE out(ceept the squirrls,least they don't like what I grow.....THEY prefer my passion fruits"lil Ba@#%&*$")

They are cute.I really fixed their boat when putting a tomatoe cage around the pond pump.They haven't knocked it over yet,they do still try though....now they un do the line to the dolphin 10 or more times a day.smart ducks& they STILL talk about me.especially when I sleep in.I'd swear Galveston turned her nose up at me sunday.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I got a duck! - August 9th, 2005 at 07:02 AM
I'd swear Galveston turned her nose up at me sunday.

Now that would have been a good picture..
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]