A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: murphyette My hummingbird experience yesterday - September 23rd, 2005 at 02:12 AM
I had just got back from walking to the post office, and my little one was asleep in the stroller. So I wheeled him onto the patio, and sat down on the swing w/my LLBean catalog. I saw something in the Impatients out of the corner of my eye, and my first thought was that it was a very large bumblebee. I sort or started, and looked to the side, and immediately saw this hummingbird, hanging in the air, and I SWEAR he was looking right at me! He hung there for a second, then flitted off. I was SO bummed that I jumped like that. Had I turned more slowly, I could have watched a hummingbird not 12" from my face!
Too cool.
(hope I didn't scare him away forever,LOL)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My hummingbird experience yesterday - September 23rd, 2005 at 03:40 AM
That is so cool...Your little hummingbird will be back eventually....might be taking off for the year very soon for their migration, but I'm sure next year you'll have tons of close encounters...

I know this year I've had a few super close like that....One night I went belly crawling across my lawn so I wouldn't scare them away....Everyone in the neighborhood probably thinks I'm really strange...LOL
Posted By: Thornius Re: My hummingbird experience yesterday - September 23rd, 2005 at 09:38 AM
Hummingbirds do that a lot. Many's the time I hear a low rumble in the air to look up and see a hummingbird 1-2 feet away from my head
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: My hummingbird experience yesterday - September 23rd, 2005 at 10:08 AM
One night I went belly crawling across my lawn so I wouldn't scare them away....Everyone in the neighborhood probably thinks I'm really strange...LOL
I just LOVE this forum!!! lol. Now I know for sure, we are the only ones in step! laugh

It took me a little while to get used to not moving suddenly when my little birds came by, and they really do seem to get more and more comfortable. I had a little chickadee about two feet from my face the other day, munching on some suet. We saw each other, but he didn't seem concerned at all. He probably flitted back and away about six or seven times over 15 minutes. It was just soooo cool!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]