A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: roflol Mystery conifer - December 23rd, 2006 at 01:33 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In front of one of the local YMCAs, there is this evergreen tree and I swiped one of the pinecones for the kids to make a bird feeder out of. It sat in the van for several days, and after a while I noticed some seeds falling out of it so had an "aha!" moment and realized it could possibly be *grown*! lol... I've shaken several seeds out of the cone and saved them to grow and share. wink

Now if I could just determine what kind of tree it is? I've looked online at a couple of sites that had different conifer pictures but no luck so far.

It's not terribly tall, it's probably 10 years old and probably 8 feet tall. It has that drooping habit that I never liked before but now I'm kind of getting to like it. Sorry the second picture is blurry, but is to show the orientation of the pinecones - they hang down from I believe the tips of the branches, and there weren't very many pinecones on the tree. The needles are stiff but not sharp.

Anybody know what this is? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: Mystery conifer - December 23rd, 2006 at 11:24 PM
It is some kind of spruce. I don't know the species, but with a genus your googling should be easier.
Posted By: roflol Re: Mystery conifer - December 24th, 2006 at 01:33 AM
Ah! Thank you, Margaret! I think it is picea abies inversa, inverse Norway spruce. Would you agree?

If so, I really like what I'm reading about it...Now to find how to grow! flw
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]