This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85808 December 23rd, 2006 at 01:33 PM
R
roflol Offline OP
OP Offline
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In front of one of the local YMCAs, there is this evergreen tree and I swiped one of the pinecones for the kids to make a bird feeder out of. It sat in the van for several days, and after a while I noticed some seeds falling out of it so had an "aha!" moment and realized it could possibly be *grown*! lol... I've shaken several seeds out of the cone and saved them to grow and share. wink

Now if I could just determine what kind of tree it is? I've looked online at a couple of sites that had different conifer pictures but no luck so far.

It's not terribly tall, it's probably 10 years old and probably 8 feet tall. It has that drooping habit that I never liked before but now I'm kind of getting to like it. Sorry the second picture is blurry, but is to show the orientation of the pinecones - they hang down from I believe the tips of the branches, and there weren't very many pinecones on the tree. The needles are stiff but not sharp.

Anybody know what this is? Thanks in advance!

#85809 December 23rd, 2006 at 11:24 PM
M
M
It is some kind of spruce. I don't know the species, but with a genus your googling should be easier.

#85810 December 24th, 2006 at 01:33 AM
R
roflol Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Ah! Thank you, Margaret! I think it is picea abies inversa, inverse Norway spruce. Would you agree?

If so, I really like what I'm reading about it...Now to find how to grow! flw

Link Copied to Clipboard