A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Anonymous It's great to join you! - January 5th, 2007 at 10:09 PM
Hi,
I'm Jane and my Thorny said to come over to this forum and check it out. I'm the one with a web cam in a feeder in a window - thorny posted the link. Penny - thanks for checking it out.

I am new to birding, so gardening will not be far behind. My daughter is gardner and has worked at nursery/ crop farm for a decade -- So, she plants and I chat. I did plant a couple of blueberry shrubs in our oh, way too shady backyard this fall. I am interested in anything that grows without sun and that the birds want to eat.
Oh yeah, and do any of you need any moss - we could sell it like Astroturf.

I really look forward to getting to know you folks.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: It's great to join you! - January 5th, 2007 at 10:51 PM
GonetotheBirds,
We're glad you joined us..
I peaked at that web~cam, thought it was cool wayyyyyy thumbup
tooooooooo clp cool luv ..*hadn't had a chance to post there yet.. but loved it..*
Can not wait for more pictures like that..
It's very neat to see that.....

So, Thanks for joining us.. and take a peak around, there's soooooooo much to do here, for every season, for every holiday and all sorts of everyday things to do and chat about...
*and any friend of Thorny's is a friend of ours*
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 12:35 AM
Hi, Jane...I looked at the webcam topic but I couldn't view it on this computer. eek
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 12:41 AM
Cindy, Ya need Internet Explorer and ya need to activate the ActiveX controls when you get the message on your screen.
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 12:42 AM
Here's a pic I just took off her webcam:

Female House Finch
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 01:00 AM
Hey Thorny,
It is very overcast and wet today. I am pleased the camera pictures are as good as they are. I think that bird might actually be an American Goldfinch. Did you just take that a little while ago, because if you did, I was outside taking that shot from the yard. I'll check my camera, do you have a time on that photos?

Cindy,
Hi Hi, so good to be here. I am sorry you can't se the camera. The camera does requires internet explorer and that downloaded activex driver. I told hubby is should be more univeral and he replied "it was only $110" At which point, I said....Gee I love it!

Weezie..thanks for the great welcome note. Thorny was the very few people that I knew I wanted to know when I when I joined the bird board four months ago! I hear Gailo is here and countrybum is joining.

I will be checking out the topics and hopefully jumping in. I will admit, I don't really have a green thumb. I just want others to make sure it looks good out there.
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 01:11 AM
Jane, got to Banter Hall under Gardening Friends to meet everybody, ALMOST live. laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 01:11 AM
Thorny,
I think I have a picture of that guy at the same time from outside. It was at 12:22est. Hey, I am trying to use photobucket. How do I resize - the photo is huge. I will be off trying to figure that out.
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 01:14 AM
Jane, the time I took that photo was 11:24 AM EST today. That little bird stayed at your feeder for quite some time. And beeing an overcast damp day, the squirrels are out in force. When I was a squirrel hunter this was the type of day would dream about for the best hunting. Squirrels love this kind of weather.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 01:19 AM
I thought you were an hour behind me, shucks. Anyway, I think you are right. It is indeed a house finch. A funny, all wet female. Sorry, my bad!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 01:29 AM
Thorny,
I think this is that same bird!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 01:40 AM
What a great picture!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 01:59 AM
Hey Penny,
Thanks... but never say great picture to a person possessed with their backyard birds and a sony camera. I could be like a new grandmother and show pictures all day. I am very proud of my little friends outside.
This is one of my favorite pictures. A male house finch on a rainy day.
[Linked Image]
I love that he was in my backyard.

Penny, you have been a member a long time too! Wow, you guys must have something special here.
And wow, you have a lot of posts too! cool!
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 04:03 AM
That's the girl! she has a REALLY Large BEAK!

I am in Central time and am 1 hour behind you, Jane. I just adjusted the time of my photo to your time zone. Your picture shows much more detail and confirms that it IS a House Finch with a mutantly LARGE snozz.
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 04:05 AM
Penny is one of our many Canadians here, eh?
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 04:15 AM
Here are some more pictures from Jane's webcams I took this morning.

Two Tufted Titmouses
[Linked Image]

Titmouse and Chickadee
[Linked Image]

Chickadee
[Linked Image]

Jane, do you have the Black-Capped Chickadee, the Carolina Chickadee, or both? We only have the Carolina Chickadee here in Tennessee.
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 04:18 AM
That APPEARS to be the Black-Capped Chickadee. The differences between the two species are VERY slight.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 05:42 AM
Thorny, that means it's the same bird at the same time. Me from the backyard and you on the camera. For me, the color is all of, I thought it was the winter brown of the goldfinch, but she must have just been all wet.
Pretty cool us taking pictures at the same time.

You gotta love those Canadians....Thorny, Canadians have really good birding, right?
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 08:40 AM
They really do they have almost ALL the birds we do plus a bunch more.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:01 AM
laugh laugh laugh laugh You sounded Canadian there for a second Thorny...hows it going eh!!!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:04 AM
Originally posted by penny in ontario:
laugh laugh laugh laugh You sounded Canadian there for a second Thorny...hows it going eh!!!!!
Hey, do you know how Canada got it's name/?

*not to highjack the topic* :rolleyes: shocked wink laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:11 AM
Ooops....we are taking over the topic arent we laugh laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:12 AM
We're all havin' fun..

But do you know how Canada got it's name? wink

And the bird pictures' are awesomeeeeeeee.. thumbup
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:15 AM
From what i remember in my history class, it was named by 2 indian youths in the 1500's, meaning breeze or wind.
Do you know somthing different laugh
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:21 AM
I don't know.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:22 AM
Weezie......hello?????
Posted By: weezie13 Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:28 AM
They put all the letter's from the Alphabet
into a bag...
And then they let some guy pull out some letters...
First letter he picked, held it up in the air and said, "C" a,
another letter was picked, and he said, "N" a, "D" a...... get it, C~a~n~a~d~a

I guess that one gets' lost in the translation..
It's more of a visual..

Go back to the birds.... shocked lala
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:31 AM
laugh laugh laugh laugh Had me worried there for a second...that you knew somthing about out history that i didnt know.....i mean i know my high school teacher was a....shall we say..."free spirited woman" laugh laugh
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:32 AM
My family and I spent the Summer of '67 driving through Manitoba and Saskatchewan, and my most vivid memories of the people there was how they ended any and every sentence with, "eh?" and how they all called me, "Laddy" and offered me a "soda-pop". I found it delightful.

Two years ago, at a bird-banding day, I was talking with a lady I thought was a local, but then she asked me if we "see many redbirds here, eh?" I said, "you're from Alberta or British Columbia aren't you, eh?" She broke into laughter and said, Oh no, that darn, "eh?" It gives me away all the time. She then told me she was from BC and asked me how I knew that. It is simple. Redbirds are not found in AB or BC and people from there often don't call them Northern Cardinals but instead call them, "Redbirds". I then walked her over to the feeders where about 30 Cardinals were happily eating with the Nuthatches, Goldfinches, etc. She was DELIGHTED and took lots of pictures.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:34 AM
laugh laugh laugh I guess we do say Eh lots.....gotta be a Canadian thing laugh and we do say pop too.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:48 AM
Ooops....we are taking over the topic arent we laugh laugh
You guys are a hoot! Whbo took my thread, who took it where? Duh Hey Thorny, the lady at the Wildlife Authority said that all of our chickadees are the Carolina type. Then the lady said that Canada got it's name when these two Indian kids were playing and they dropped all their scrabble letters and what stayed in the bag was a C a n a d a, and so it was. But, you but some people have suggested that we may have hybrid chickadees around here to.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:51 AM
You are going to fit in here just fine Jane laugh laugh thumbup
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:53 AM
I wasn't sure. I never seen a Black-Capped in person, but am fairly familiar with them. They are larger than the Carolina, the black bib extends lower on the chest, and they have a deeper raspier, "Chick-a-dee, Chick-a-dee,dee,dee" call, that I have heard recordings of.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:53 AM
You are going to fir in here just fine Jane laugh laugh thumbup
Yeah, just as soon as Thorny learns to spell..
You'll "fit" in here just fine... wink wink wink laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:55 AM
laugh laugh shocked laugh Thorny?? laugh p
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:56 AM
The difference between a Canadian and a New Yorker is that the Canadian says, "How's it goin', ay?" and the New Yorker says, "Ayyyyy, how's it goin'"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:57 AM
That's my next sneaky plan thorny -- I am going to figure out how to transmit bird songs to you. It made me crazy today. There were new birds sounds and I don't have a clue who they were.
I could just take a movie with my sony cybershot, it has sound, but I need an efficient way to get it to your ears (what I mean to say is I need my husband to figure out how to make it happen smile }
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:59 AM
Record the sounds on your computer and then save it as a .wav file and then you can email it or post it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 10:38 AM
Thorny,
Oh yeah, No problem, I'll just use my jiffy super spy 007 recording pen and then plug er' in the puter and mail them off to you.

What am I recording with???
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 11:58 AM
My son worked for DirecTV and brought home dozens of old 18" satellite dishes that are perfect for making parabolic microphone. I even found plans on the internet on how to do it WITH the DirecTV dishes. Check your local satellite dealers to see if they have some old dishes they could give or sell to you. Then use an inexpensive digital sound recorder hooked to the parablic microphone to record the sounds, download the sounds to your computer and then upload them to the internet.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 01:45 PM
Thorny,
laugh laugh You are hilarous. I think I'll just stick to my super duper 007 microphone pen plan
laugh laugh
Posted By: Wrennie Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 08:31 PM
How did I miss 3 pages of another bird nut??
wavey Hi from NY, Jane!
Go ahead, be a good grandma and take lots of pictures of your grand-birds. I love pictures grinnnn }
I have to get one of those 007 pens. Does Penny Money have any more?

Thorny come to summercamp and sit under my tree. You can watch Black capped chickadees all day from realllly close up.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 6th, 2007 at 09:54 PM
Wrennie,
Hi, HI, from Maryland, Wrenni! wavey It's a pleasure to meet you. Yup, I'm a bird nut! I caught the fever this past summer. I got it bad.

The cool thing is that hubby caught the fever too. We actually share a common interest. clp Boy, after all these years that sure is a blessing. We can happily stay busy all day in our backyard. Now, when he call from his 1 1/2 commute we actually have fun stuff to hear about. He loves then a new bird has visited. He especially like if his cooper's hawk has been here shk
I can't wait to get to know you. I still say... becareful asking for pictures - but before you change your mind....
[Linked Image]
Gotta love those chickadees wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 7th, 2007 at 07:39 AM
Boy, That chickadee picture is huge!! I am so sorry if I choked anyone's computer. I have a new computer so I have to learn new ways of doing things. I had to have a MAC nutz It's a great computer but it's going to take a lot of time to learn to use.
I thought that chickadee would be half that size... very sorry for that big little chickadee

I hope everyone had a great day!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 7th, 2007 at 11:37 AM
jane, welcome. it is ok. the standard, maximum size we allow is 640 x 480 pixels
Posted By: Wrennie Re: It's great to join you! - January 7th, 2007 at 08:30 PM
Awww, dee-dee!
Just got interested, huh?
You should
"Get ready to "Count for the Record!"
Join the Great Backyard Bird Count, February 16-19, 2007. It's fun, it's free, it takes as little as 15 minutes--and it helps the birds"
at
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc
It really is FUN! And you don't have to be an ezpert bird identifier to play. Uh, I mean participate.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 7th, 2007 at 09:30 PM
Hi Wrennie, I am going to check it out. I think I may have to many things to be able to fit in here right now. I can't follow/find threads for crap.
Last night I posted asking for advice on navigating through here, then I fell asleep, this morning I had no clue where the advice seeking thread was wavey
Posted By: Wrennie Re: It's great to join you! - January 7th, 2007 at 09:47 PM
That site teaches it all to you.
Basically if you see 5 at one time there are 5 flitting in and out. The longer you watch them the better you are at guestimating the number of visitors.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 7th, 2007 at 10:21 PM
laugh laugh 5 of what flitting in and out where laugh laugh I truly have no idea what you mean. But, I will be trying to figure it out.
Posted By: dodge Re: It's great to join you! - January 8th, 2007 at 03:10 AM
Thornius,
Penny may be the Canadian........But I notice her in my purse all the time.

ha ha

dodge
Posted By: dodge Re: It's great to join you! - January 8th, 2007 at 03:12 AM
Gonetothebirds.....

Love the photos of birds......What type of camera system do you use??////
Your my neighbor......across the border Penna.
Look at the bottoms of the posts and you can see who comes from where.........We are from everywhere, and have lots of humor.

Welcome on GH..........come often stay long.

dodge luv
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 8th, 2007 at 04:16 AM
Hi Dodge,
Rural Western PA can be pretty far from here, but I am only about forty miles from Hanover and about an hour to York. We looked at colleges all over PA this summer.

Thanks for you picture compliments. We bought a Sony Cybershot ($400 - I think it is already $100 cheaper) and we ordered the $100 tele lens. That is way more than I ever paid for a camera, but way cheaper than any SLR, like real photographers use. We both love the camera, it is so easy to use and takes great shots... sometimes inspite of the photographer wink

dodgem I am hoping to find some friends and laughs around here. But so far, I just keep losing threads.

See you again, if I find this thread again...If not the pleasure was mine. I love PA wavey
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: It's great to join you! - January 8th, 2007 at 11:11 PM
laugh laugh laugh @ DOdge!!
Posted By: dodge Re: It's great to join you! - January 8th, 2007 at 11:15 PM
penny,

thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: It's great to join you! - January 8th, 2007 at 11:32 PM
Originally posted by GonetotheBirds:
dodge, I am hoping to find some friends and laughs around here. But so far, I just keep losing thread544444s.

See you again, if I find this thread again...If not the pleasure was mine. I love PA wavey
~~~~~>> Jane/GonetotheBirds,
If you go to the FULL REPLY FORM,
Scroll down to the bottom and find the OPTIONS:
You can click on EMAIL NOTIFICATION...
It will email you at home, when someone replies on something you've posted on...
That's how I keep track of my posts here....

If you need help, just holler..
Always glad to help... thumbup
Posted By: dodge Re: It's great to join you! - January 9th, 2007 at 12:26 AM
weezie

I sent you a pm yesterday.....Will you please read it >

dodge
Posted By: weezie13 Re: It's great to join you! - January 9th, 2007 at 03:10 AM
Ooops, sent you a PM Barb..
*I"ve been under the weather the last
couple of days..*
Should be there for you already..
Posted By: dodge Re: It's great to join you! - January 9th, 2007 at 03:28 AM
?

dodge
Posted By: weezie13 Re: It's great to join you! - January 9th, 2007 at 03:36 AM
See message above.. thumbup
I corrected it...
I will edit after you reply... thumbup
Posted By: faerywatcher Re: It's great to join you! - January 10th, 2007 at 11:11 AM
hiya jane! wavey your bird pics you and thorny have posted are FAB!!!!!!! i too, like cindy, can't view them, but please keep putting some up on here for us!!

i'm glad you found your way to this wonderful group! i am still kind of a newbie, joined in sept. and i am having the time of my life on here. EVERYONE is soooo nice. i quickly learned if you ever need some one with a good heart, don't look any farther than the gardeners helper!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: It's great to join you! - January 12th, 2007 at 10:35 PM
Thanks faerywatcher,
I have received such a warm welcome -- it's delightful. However, I am having all kind of thread troubles. I have gotten great advice on this, especially from Jenn.
But, I never got to thank Jenn because I lost the thread and only know her as Jenn (I crack myself up) .
It is one of those "if you give a mouse cookie situations" I read the advice, clicked on Jenn's profile and then to her website -- there I got carried away
I found so many pictures and stuff. I was interested in the round robin quilts and her new hubby. Well, then I left the computer.

Now, I will have to spend a bunch time finding the thread to thank her for the advice which is supposed to have made it easier....Doh! because all I can tell you is - Jenn seems very nice and has great life going on for her. And she and her friends make amazing quilts.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]