This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99973 June 9th, 2006 at 02:42 PM
OP Offline
There is a weed taking over our roadways and lawns. The first time I saw it was about 10 years ago. At that time it was very rare around here. Now it's everywhere. I don't have a picture, but from the description I thought someone would know what I'm talking about. Here goes:

This weed has a bright yellow flower - each flower is about 1/2 inch across. The leaves are shaped kind of like an impatien. It spreads by sending runners everywhere, and takes over a one foot square patch of lawn in just a couple of days. That patch may have 30 or 40 blossoms. It only gets about 5 or 6 inches high, because it produces runners more than growing in height - and when it's blooming it's actually quite pretty, but it's extremely destructive to a lawn. It roots at the nodules like creeping charlie does, but grows 10 times faster that creeping charlie.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Duh

I've checked lots of web sites for invasive weeds but I can't find it.

I wish I had a camera!! mad

#99974 June 9th, 2006 at 10:17 PM
I don't know what it is , Stormy, but it sure sounds nasty! Here in Maine we have a major problem with purple loosestrife.

#99975 June 9th, 2006 at 10:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a site that shows pics of weeds and identifies them,maybe it will help you.

Weeds with yellow flowers

G-Mom grinnnn

#99976 June 10th, 2006 at 12:32 AM
M
M
here is another site for identification, this one is divided into the different weed family groups, and lists all the weeds found in Ontario. (there are quite a few)
Just click the 'thumbnail' for a bigger picture and some general info about it.

Good Luck :-)

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/ontweeds/weedgal1.htm

#99977 June 10th, 2006 at 02:25 AM
OP Offline
I can't find this weed in either sight. At first I thought it was St. John's wort. The leaves are like those on both sites. They start out like the pic on the site Gardenmom provided, and end up like the pic on the site MrsYeti gave. The problem is the blossom is all wrong. The blossoms on this weed are very unusual. They are in clusters at the end of the branch like the St. John's wort, but each little blossom has 3 petals. This is going to sound crazy, but the blossom looks like a poodle's face. Imagine a poodle balloon animal face - nose and ears.
Also, I noticed that the blossom is pink when it's developing - then gets kind of orange and by the time it opens it's bright yellow.

I'm determined to find a digital camera to borrow. The problem is... I have never used one and don't know how to download or get the pic on to this site. I'll need some help.

I did discover that I actually have 2 yellow weeds in my lawn. The one I know is yellow clover.

#99978 June 10th, 2006 at 04:01 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ohhhhhhh man, I hope you doooo find a camera..
You've got me peaked!!!
I would love to know what it is??
heck just see it!!!

#99979 June 10th, 2006 at 08:20 AM
N
N
Does your weed look like this?
Moneywort :
[Linked Image]
(click on picture to link to description)

There are patches of it here, but I sort of tolerate it,since most of my lawn is wildflowers,anyway.

#99980 June 10th, 2006 at 03:36 PM
OP Offline
No, the blossom isn't right. I really like the plant in your picture! I would let it grow too! It looks great growing around the rocks! I'm partial to yellow flowers - I don't know why. Last year I found pale yellow marigolds, and this year I have yellow dwarf snapdragons.

I borrowed a camera tonight. I'll take a picture tomorrow and try to post it.

I also discovered that a lot of the weed on the sides of the roads is actually yellow clover. But, one of the stinkers in my lawn, the neighbors' lawns, and around the pond across the road is this plant I can't identify. I can't wait to get the picture tomorrow.

#99981 June 11th, 2006 at 12:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Could it be one of these?

Birdfoot Trefoil

Creeping Monkey Plant

#99982 June 11th, 2006 at 02:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

#99983 June 12th, 2006 at 02:17 AM
R
R
how about bur clover ?

it grows quickly, but has a central root from which the entire plant can be pulled.

Link Copied to Clipboard