This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99865 March 21st, 2004 at 01:49 AM
OP Offline
ok, spring has sprung, and I've got three more plants for you to view and help identify:

http://community.webshots.com/user/write2rellie

the album is "more mystery plants"

1. the divider wall between myself and neighbor has purpleish (magenta) colored flowers that close at night and open in the sun. it is vine like, and the leaves are kind of bulb like and squishy. I don't know if the wall actually belongs to us or neighbors, but since the neighbors have moved out and the new neighbors are renters, I'm going to take responsibility for the flowers. wavey

#99866 March 21st, 2004 at 02:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well the magenta flowers are really nice, no clue to what thet are, the small plant, looks lilyish, could it be a first sprout of lily of the Valley, some of it comes up looking sorta like that here where the light isn't that great, and the bulb I believe to be Iris. Duh Sorry, guess I didn't help much! :rolleyes: Phil

#99867 March 21st, 2004 at 02:30 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
First one???? Can't really see it too good, but
maybe ICE plant????
Ice plant

Second one, I've have white lilie of the valley's and mine don't look like that, but if there's another variety, I may not know?????????????????

Third one does look like an Iris.

Weezie

#99868 March 21st, 2004 at 02:43 AM
OP Offline
YAY WEEZIE! Ice plant it is for the first one, and seems like it will be easy enough to care for from the description.

Not sure about the Lilly of the Valley, from the pictures I found, the lilly of the valley plants seem to have smoother leaves. the leaves of this plant (in the rocks) are ridged, and pointy, kind of sharp on the edges, almost like a palm frond.

And I HOPE the bulbs are Iris's, I love them!

#99869 March 21st, 2004 at 05:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with the first and last, it is the lily of the valley in less than perfect areas that come up kinda narrow, like your pic, but only when they first emerge, But mine look like this, the leaves are ridged?? Lilly of the Valley
I hope you all know that they are POISONOUS? I will research this further! Duh

#99870 March 21st, 2004 at 05:29 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Phil, I don't remember mine having side leaves???
I will have to watch them come up again this year.

I thought mine just had one leaf going up?????
Hmmmmmmmmmm???

wavey RELLIE,
Is this a recent picture?? Can you get us a
succession growing set of pictures?????

Some plants look like other plants in the first stages of growing, but when they get taller or start to fill out they show their "true leaf" so to speak.....

(ie; Jillie and JC sent in a mystery picture,
I had never seen pictures of it small in reading on it, but I had seen the full growth and it wasn't until some of the last pictures posted that we nailed it)

So keep on snapping pictures!!

Weezie

#99871 March 21st, 2004 at 06:39 PM
OP Offline
the pic was taken just before i posted. there are several of those around, that is the most mature.
i don't know if you can see in the pic, the leaves are growing off a round stalk.

Phil, when I say the leaves are ridged I mean the veins which run lenghtwise are very pronounced. I'll try to get some more detail pics. the camera battery was dying yesterday and so I just snapped what I could.

also, the green of the leaves of my plant seem to be much darker than the lilly of the valley.

i'll go get my camera in a few minutes and should have more pics up within the hour. by 10 am ca time.

#99872 March 21st, 2004 at 07:29 PM
OP Offline
ok, i posted pics at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/write2rellie
in the album "plant in rocks"

to explain: this is a sadly neglected area of my yard, I'm slowly removing the tons and tons of rocks, one shovelfull at a time. we plan to fill in these borders with grass. I've got dogs that'll chew anything, so all my gardening will be done in the front yard.

anyway, I have a suspicion this might be a desert plant, because this area NEVER gets watered. Duh

Maybe it'll turn out to be something Allthumbs can use for his drought tolerant yard?

#99873 March 21st, 2004 at 09:38 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
1st pix is definitely some kind of an iceplant....they are blooming like mad around here...not sure of the name.

2nd pix are palm tree babies....not sure what kind but if you want those palms trees there forever you better have a large area around it ....because the base of palm trees can get BIG!!! I have found no success thus far in trying to transplant them....but you may have better luck. The crows/ravens take the seeds from palm trees around and scatter them in your yard. Pull them early....if you wait you will have to dig deeper to get there roots. If you just trim off the top...it will not die....comes right back up....so make sure you get the root! If they are in the grass and you just trim them off they have a very sharp edge that hurt the tiny feet that may be walking over them.
Can you tell I am not a big fan of these, laugh stepped on a good share of them and they actually cut my foot! In my yard they are an unwelcome guest!

3rd one not quite sure yet....looks like some kind of lily....but I wouldn't say an iris....the lily I'm thinking of it has white flowers and darned if I can remember the color inside....make sure to get a photo when it blooms....Now I am curious!

But the 2nd pix is definitely some kind of palm!!!

#99874 March 21st, 2004 at 09:49 PM
OP Offline
ThankYou Catlover! I thought they looked palmish, but have never seen them little and couldn't imagine them just coming up on their own. birds carrying the seeds makes sense, because these are all right under eaves or by fences. do you suppose I could pot them to limit the growth? I wouldn't mind having a palm or two around the pool.

#99875 March 21st, 2004 at 11:46 PM
P
P
Rellie,

check this out:

Bottle Palm

#99876 March 22nd, 2004 at 03:43 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Sorry ...got that reversed...last pix looks like an iris not a lily!!! Duh

#99877 March 22nd, 2004 at 04:09 AM
OP Offline
not sure about the bottle palm, how about this one: (XButyagrus)

http://groups.msn.com/palmseedlingscom/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=117
Duh

catlover, a white iris? i'm only familiar with the purple one.

#99878 March 22nd, 2004 at 05:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That looks like it, thumbup I think!!

Anyone else???????????????

Weezie

#99879 March 23rd, 2004 at 03:15 AM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Hi write2rellie,

Weezie is right, the first plant is an ice plant, but yours is a Trailing Ice plant called Lampranthus spectabilis.

#99880 March 23rd, 2004 at 10:04 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
gab Rellie.....I don't have time to look but try a google on Japanese Iris.....my parents had a big grouping of them...and the leaves look VERY similar....there are all types but the ones my parents had were white smaller leave with I believe a blue or blue purple/dash of yellow inside. Try it and see what you think???

When they bloom please post a pix....very curious in Fallbrook

#99881 March 24th, 2004 at 01:41 AM
OP Offline
JC2- thanks! I noticed that undeneath the healthy green part of the iceplant there appears to be several inches deep of dry brown dead plant. Next fall (or when?) should I cut the plant back? Any suggestions?

Catlover, I found several pictures of the Japanese iris blooms, very pretty. and I found this quote:
"Japanese iris leaves have a distinct rib that runs lengthwise down the leaves. This rib is a good way to distinguish japanese iris from other types of iris."
Next time I'm outside I'll check for this "rib". And I will be sure to post pics when there are blooms!

thanks everyone for your help!

#99882 March 24th, 2004 at 05:31 PM
P
P
Ever thought that the mystery plant might be a Rhizome instead of a Bulb?

See Ginger Lily

I have Hedychium coranarium (Hardy White Butterfly Ginger)growing in more than 2 dozens 5-gal. containers.

Link Copied to Clipboard