This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Sorry for the awful pictures -- seems If I stay too far back one can't see any detail and if I get too close it gets blury. Maybe it's time for some photography classes.

[Linked Image]
This one is growing like mad in the shade of my trumpet vines. It's not much to look at, but it has me very curious as when I started to tear some of it up, where the stems were broken it turned bright (and I mean neon) orange within a few seconds. Very strange, since there isn't even an hint of orange in this plant. It's about 16-24" tall at most.

The next one (and I really have to appologize for this shot) has two different flowers to identify:
[Linked Image]
Circled in white is a tiny plant, probably a weed, but it has tiny pink flowers ranging from very pale almost white to dark maroon. They kind of remind me of the round sprinkles used on donuts and cookies. It's growing maybe a foot tall at the most.

The one circled in black seems to be pretty common around here (Southern Ontario). When it grows uncrowded in other people's gardens, it all grows to the same height about 12" high (instead of struggling in this mess like mine is). The thicker leaves and the shape of the flower reminds me of broccoli growing. If that doesn't sound familiar I'm going to have to take my camera with me and find a nicer picture of someone else's. laugh

R
R

M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm not too sure about the sedum autumn joy -- I'll see if I can get a better shot (or just wait to see what colour it blooms -- if at all)

Pennsylvania smartweed for the white circled one is definitely right though. Thanks!

Hi Malica..when taking close up pics..use your macro mode on your camera. thumbup

M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I think I just found the justification for replacing my camera -- I looked up the specs on my camera (trying to find a user manual) and found this:
Macro focus range (cm): n/a
Sounds like I get to do some shopping now. laugh

M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
After looking a bit more closely, I think the sedum autumn joy is right.

Any help on the first picture though?

I don't know what it's called , the orange bleeding thing, but here it's a weed.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yep, I am concuring totallllllly with Rugby...
*the sedum is probably a bit spindally with being
in such tight quarters..*

but that's what both are...
Guarenteed!!! thumbup thumbup

R
R
better pic of 1st?

M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
weezie13 wrote:
*the sedum is probably a bit spindally with being
in such tight quarters..*
Oh, most probably, but until I know what's growing in that area, I couldn't choose what to pull out completely, what to trim back, and what to leave alone. Without all you guys helping identify all these things for me, I'd probably end up pulling out my flowers and having the most beautiful garden of weeds.

I've got a better camera now. Let's see if these help (more shots of the first again, only with a camera that I can get closer with):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think I've got it, Chelidonium majus and from what I've read it is highly poisonous! shk

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mel kissies kissies kissies thumbup

M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks once again guys. You know, I'm starting to wonder about the previous owner who established this garden -- it seems everything she planted either makes a great tea, or is highly poisonous!

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
laugh laugh

I am sooo glad we can solve your mysteries for you.... thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard