This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
I looked up the siberian bugloss (sp) on google image and Im 99% sure that is what my "A" plant is.. Unfortunatley I got called into work when I had JUST got my garden grubs on so I was only out there for about an hour. I pulled all that parsley and I tried to pull out that dead thing and the root goes waaaaaaaaaaaay down.. Its scary :|

And no, I havent rubbed the leaves on that one plant yet, I will hopefully do that sometime on Sunday.. I work Sat. and my sons 5th day is on Sunday until around 2 so hopefully the weather behaves itself!!

M
M
J could also be angelica. My angelica looks like that. The plant is ~2+ feet tall with tiny white lacy flowers in clumps in spring. The plant very nicely stays put, no runners or anything, but it will seed all over the place. If this is what it is, I suggest clipping the flowers after they die, before the seeds mature, unless you want a garden full of angelica. It's very pretty as a long line or big patch at the edge of a lawn.

M
M
C. Are the leaves fuzzy? I don't know batchelor buttons, but my brown eyed Susans come up like that with fuzzy leaves.

D. Looks like wild geranium. Is it in a shady spot?

What do they all look like now? I bet if you post new pics, you'll get new answers. How they have grown and changed will help us figure it out.
How lucky you are, a new house with new plants to learn about. The best of luck to you!

N
OP Offline
N
[Linked Image]
Whatever this plant is, it's a freakin nightmare.. The more I started llooking around in there I realized that it is everywhere, it random spots! It's my enemy..lol.. I spent about 2 hours pulling a 10-12 foot section with a huge shovel.. But there is still random plants all around.. It annoys me badly..lol..
But whatever it is smells like black licorice.. It's probably a herb big in Eastern culture..

N
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by margaret e. pell:
J could also be angelica. My angelica looks like that. The plant is ~2+ feet tall with tiny white lacy flowers in clumps in spring. The plant very nicely stays put, no runners or anything, but it will seed all over the place. If this is what it is, I suggest clipping the flowers after they die, before the seeds mature, unless you want a garden full of angelica. It's very pretty as a long line or big patch at the edge of a lawn.
I pulled out all of J thinking it was parsley.. I hope it's not flowers : (

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
But whatever it is smells like black licorice..
Fennel maybe?????????????

N
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by margaret e. pell:
C. Are the leaves fuzzy? I don't know batchelor buttons, but my brown eyed Susans come up like that with fuzzy leaves.

D. Looks like wild geranium. Is it in a shady spot?

What do they all look like now? I bet if you post new pics, you'll get new answers. How they have grown and changed will help us figure it out.
How lucky you are, a new house with new plants to learn about. The best of luck to you!
The leaves are not fuzzy on C
And D is not in a shady spot.. They sun doesnt actually hit my garden area until around noon so it's got a few good shaded hours I suppose..

And yes, I feel like I am lucky, I totally enjoying being out there, It's relaxing.. Well actually, I've been enjoying everything but that licorice smelling mystery herb mad

N
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by weezie13:
But whatever it is smells like black licorice..
Fennel maybe?????????????
Yes, I just google imaged it and that is the culprit...Thanks!

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That stuff will re~seed prolifically for you!!!

N
OP Offline
N
Oh lovely!

How can I get rid of it??

I pulled up as much root as I could, I think I got a majority of it.. Is there a way to make sure it doesn't come back? frown

Why not keep it?
Roasted fennel is delicious!! The licorice flavour subsides and it turns extremely sweet!! You might like it. If not...send it to me! wink laugh

N
OP Offline
N
I've actually never had fennel but it doesn't look like I'll ever be able to get rid of it all anyways so I think Im stuck with some..I would be GLAD to give it to you...lol

M
M
Just keep pulling! I changed my mind about the angelica in one garden 3 years ago. I'm still pulling!

N
OP Offline
N
Well, I planted some stuff over top of where I pulled it from.. Any idea if that is gonna wreck my newly planted things.. I think it was tomato that I put there...

A
A
Funny how many different thoughts involved huh? Gotta tell you though that I have two different foxgloves types growing in my garden ... C looks as though it's one of them. I think D is a bleeding heart. G a forget me not. What is a borage? Never heard of it. Is there a more common name?

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Andi:
What is a borage? Never heard of it. Is there a more common name?
Borage probably is the common name..
(Borago officinalis) is the latin name..
It can get up to 3 ft tall, it has THE BRIGHTEST BLUE flowers, they supposedly taste like cucumbers, *I think they definately smell like cuke's, but nooooootttt too much on the taste dept.. they are edible, and you can do fun things with the flowers, like put them in your ice cube trays and freeze them up or sugar them up and put them on cakes or cookies...

And bees *especially the honey bees* love it..
and it draws the "good preditory bugs/bees" to it also....

A
A
Thanks Weezie, will look for it, sounds very interesting.
Andi

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard