A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: n00bGardener Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 03:34 AM
As some of you might already know I just moved into a house with a large garden. I bought some veggie seeds and I would like to plant them but I would like to know what is growing in there already... I know some of these may be flowers also...

Exhibit B, top left looks like it could maybe be strawberries??? I seriously have no idea..lol.. Other looks like weed maybe? *shrug*
[Linked Image]

Exhibit C, some type of flower? Tulip maybe?
[Linked Image]

Exhibit D, no guess
[Linked Image]

Exhibit E, something dead...lol..Looks like maybe Dill??
[Linked Image]

Exhibit F, no guess...
Exhibit G, no guess...
[Linked Image]

Exhibit H, some type of lettuce??? Kale?
[Linked Image]

Opps, I musta missed that last one when resizing..Next up is.....

Exhibit I, no guess
[Linked Image]

Exhibit J, Im hoping carrots...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: netty Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 04:56 AM
A looks to me like violets with forget me nots mixed in...is it all one plant?
C is perennial bachelor buttons
G is borage
I looks like lemon balm-does it smell like lemons when you rub it?
J is parsley
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 08:50 AM
A = is Brunnera macrophylla /Siberian Bugloss
B =
C = Mountain Bluet (Centaurea montana)
D =
E = E
F =
G = Borage
H =
I = Lemon Balm
D is citronella.
E..you're right...something dead...definitely not dill.
H could very well be perennial kale.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 09:47 AM
a - dunno. sure is pretty tho!

b - left side is mint. right side might be a type of geranium. looks kind of similar to what i have - it's too dark outside for me to go look at it tho.

c - it's not tulips. it is some kind of flowering bulb tho.

d - looks familiar...then i saw christina's post. citronella it is

e - could be a rosemary or thyme. might be a later starter - i wouldn't pull it unless you're sure it's a goner.

f - no pic?

g - dunno

h - could be kale or maybe some other type of lettuce.

i - again, this looks really familiar. could be a different type of mint than the other one.

j - i agree on parsley. also have some more mint there - mints can be very invasive - easy enough to pull up, it's just that you're doing it all the time because even the tiniest tidbit of a piece that is left will continue to grow.
Originally posted by netty:
A looks to me like violets with forget me nots mixed in...is it all one plant?
C is perennial bachelor buttons
G is borage
I looks like lemon balm-does it smell like lemons when you rub it?
J is parsley
There is a plant in the center of the pic, the other purple things to the left are seperate fro the main plant. Re: lemon balm question, I have no idea, I havent rubbed it but I will do that tommorow when Im out there.. *can't wait*
and boooo @ parsley, I wanted carrots gosh darnit.. I'll rip that parsley out unless I can find another use for it beside a dish decoration..
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
Could one of you find me a picture of this
citronella plant you are talking about?????

I can only find a geranium type, and to my eyeballs, that's not it???

Let me know, cause I can't find one...

~~~~~~~~~> for me, alot of these plants are soooo firmilar... but some look like others, and without flowers for some, identification is kinda tough...

Can you keep this post going, pleaseeeeeeee,
and get some flowers as the plants flower...

That would be awesommmmmmmmmmmme!!!

thumbup thumbup grinnnn
these are what I found on citronella...
not a good pic though
this looks like a match wink
I had one last year and it was called citron something..But the only thing that it looked more ruffled than "D" did thicker leaves kinda prickley...
http://www.home-herb-garden.com/herbgarden.html
It is in the middle sort of citronella ...
Posted By: netty Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 09:10 PM
A- could very well be Bugloss. The purple blooms to the left are again grape hyacinths.
B- looks very familiar to me too, just can't place it yet. But I agree with mint to the left.
C-I'm sticking with Batchelor buttons!
D-Can't quite place this one yet either, but again, grape hyacinths to the left.
E-does look dead doesn't it? I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess fennel...does it smell like anything when you rub it?
H-I agree with Kale
I'm with Weezie...I'd like to see more pics when the plants are bigger flw
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 09:16 PM
C-I'm sticking with Batchelor buttons!
The Mountain Bluet is in the Bachelor Buttons' Family!!! thumbup thumbup flw

Yes, there's so many plants that look alike
when they first sprout.... and we need how they
sprout up or leaves appear on the stem, and what the flower looks like....

Can not wait for more picutesssssssss!!!
Posted By: Bill Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 09:16 PM
C is Centaurea montana
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 09:18 PM
Here's mine... grinnnn flw clp
[Linked Image]
D is citronella. Also called citrosa. I'm positive of this...I grow it as well. Just rub your fingers on it, you'll smell lemon.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/pelcvcitrosa.htm
Posted By: netty Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 7th, 2006 at 11:47 PM
D doesn't look like citrosa to me. Here's a picture of my citrosa [Linked Image]
I think it looks more like lovage. nOObGardener, what DOES it smell like??
Could it be feverfew?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 8th, 2006 at 01:53 AM
That's what I kept finding, and to me, it
didn't look like it at all... *in a round about way in the ball park, but just not it*
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 8th, 2006 at 05:01 AM
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
Could it be feverfew?
Duh Duh Duh

*Feverfew is about 2 feet high*
(I know, it's just starting out... but still,
the leaves don't quite look right...but I am not
100% sure) Duh Duh Duh Duh
Posted By: Carly Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 8th, 2006 at 07:34 AM
That first one - yep! Violets, for sure.

And yeah - carrots! Hey, get yerself a rabbit! You got carrots!

I've seen some of the others myself - I just call 'em the 'idunnos'. If they're doin' ok, I leave 'em.
No..not carrots..curly parsely.
Posted By: Carly Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 8th, 2006 at 08:07 AM
Ahhhh! Parsley - well, it makes nice fill, I guess.

A sprig of parsley is supposed to be good for the breath after you've eaten.

That's why they stick it on top of fancy meals in restaurants, I guess.
I looked up the siberian bugloss (sp) on google image and Im 99% sure that is what my "A" plant is.. Unfortunatley I got called into work when I had JUST got my garden grubs on so I was only out there for about an hour. I pulled all that parsley and I tried to pull out that dead thing and the root goes waaaaaaaaaaaay down.. Its scary :|

And no, I havent rubbed the leaves on that one plant yet, I will hopefully do that sometime on Sunday.. I work Sat. and my sons 5th day is on Sunday until around 2 so hopefully the weather behaves itself!!
J could also be angelica. My angelica looks like that. The plant is ~2+ feet tall with tiny white lacy flowers in clumps in spring. The plant very nicely stays put, no runners or anything, but it will seed all over the place. If this is what it is, I suggest clipping the flowers after they die, before the seeds mature, unless you want a garden full of angelica. It's very pretty as a long line or big patch at the edge of a lawn.
C. Are the leaves fuzzy? I don't know batchelor buttons, but my brown eyed Susans come up like that with fuzzy leaves.

D. Looks like wild geranium. Is it in a shady spot?

What do they all look like now? I bet if you post new pics, you'll get new answers. How they have grown and changed will help us figure it out.
How lucky you are, a new house with new plants to learn about. The best of luck to you!
[Linked Image]
Whatever this plant is, it's a freakin nightmare.. The more I started llooking around in there I realized that it is everywhere, it random spots! It's my enemy..lol.. I spent about 2 hours pulling a 10-12 foot section with a huge shovel.. But there is still random plants all around.. It annoys me badly..lol..
But whatever it is smells like black licorice.. It's probably a herb big in Eastern culture..
Originally posted by margaret e. pell:
J could also be angelica. My angelica looks like that. The plant is ~2+ feet tall with tiny white lacy flowers in clumps in spring. The plant very nicely stays put, no runners or anything, but it will seed all over the place. If this is what it is, I suggest clipping the flowers after they die, before the seeds mature, unless you want a garden full of angelica. It's very pretty as a long line or big patch at the edge of a lawn.
I pulled out all of J thinking it was parsley.. I hope it's not flowers : (
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 10th, 2006 at 10:56 PM
But whatever it is smells like black licorice..
Fennel maybe?????????????
Originally posted by margaret e. pell:
C. Are the leaves fuzzy? I don't know batchelor buttons, but my brown eyed Susans come up like that with fuzzy leaves.

D. Looks like wild geranium. Is it in a shady spot?

What do they all look like now? I bet if you post new pics, you'll get new answers. How they have grown and changed will help us figure it out.
How lucky you are, a new house with new plants to learn about. The best of luck to you!
The leaves are not fuzzy on C
And D is not in a shady spot.. They sun doesnt actually hit my garden area until around noon so it's got a few good shaded hours I suppose..

And yes, I feel like I am lucky, I totally enjoying being out there, It's relaxing.. Well actually, I've been enjoying everything but that licorice smelling mystery herb mad
Originally posted by weezie13:
But whatever it is smells like black licorice..
Fennel maybe?????????????
Yes, I just google imaged it and that is the culprit...Thanks!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 11th, 2006 at 01:02 AM
That stuff will re~seed prolifically for you!!!
Oh lovely!

How can I get rid of it??

I pulled up as much root as I could, I think I got a majority of it.. Is there a way to make sure it doesn't come back? frown
Why not keep it?
Roasted fennel is delicious!! The licorice flavour subsides and it turns extremely sweet!! You might like it. If not...send it to me! wink laugh
I've actually never had fennel but it doesn't look like I'll ever be able to get rid of it all anyways so I think Im stuck with some..I would be GLAD to give it to you...lol
Just keep pulling! I changed my mind about the angelica in one garden 3 years ago. I'm still pulling!
Well, I planted some stuff over top of where I pulled it from.. Any idea if that is gonna wreck my newly planted things.. I think it was tomato that I put there...
Posted By: Andi Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 12th, 2006 at 11:27 AM
Funny how many different thoughts involved huh? Gotta tell you though that I have two different foxgloves types growing in my garden ... C looks as though it's one of them. I think D is a bleeding heart. G a forget me not. What is a borage? Never heard of it. Is there a more common name?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 12th, 2006 at 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Andi:
What is a borage? Never heard of it. Is there a more common name?
Borage probably is the common name..
(Borago officinalis) is the latin name..
It can get up to 3 ft tall, it has THE BRIGHTEST BLUE FLOWERS, they supposedly taste like cucumbers, *I think they definately smell like cuke's, but nooooootttt too much on the taste dept.. they are edible, and you can do fun things with the flowers, like put them in your ice cube trays and freeze them up or sugar them up and put them on cakes or cookies...

And bees *especially the honey bees* love it..
and it draws the "good preditory bugs/bees" to it also....
Posted By: Andi Re: Help..These are in my garden, no idea what anything is - April 12th, 2006 at 08:11 PM
Thanks Weezie, will look for it, sounds very interesting.
Andi
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]