This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99220 December 11th, 2004 at 10:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know absolutely nothing about mushrooms...does anyone know what these are - they look so cute?!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#99221 December 11th, 2004 at 06:05 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I think the plant Doctor had a post here
about mushrooms somewhere's.....
Where's Catlover?? eek kit She's a good
hunter down of the things I'm lookin' for????
I'll go take a peak for it, I have knee~deep in crap~ola today, but I'll see if it did...

I do know one thing I always advise people on with Mushrooms,
DON'T EAT THEM!!!
Unless they come in a box or can from your grocery store...
Those people know what they're growing.
In the wild, unless you are highly trained, you could die from eating them..
*getting off soapbox now, but just want to be safe*

Weezie

#99222 December 13th, 2004 at 08:53 PM
A
A
Well heres my comments, first mushrooms get a bad rap they are not as dangerous as many think. You can handle and even taste a mushroom without fear DO NOT swallow because that could cause problems. 95 percent of all problems are associated with the genus Amanita (a good genus to learn). It is true that a mess of mushrooms will make one ill without perminate damage, but that of course is no fun. Every gardener should consider and Teach the young ones never eat ANY plant without a positive ID. there are MANY common deadly plants out there so fear mushrooms a lil less and the plants a lil more. To my knowlage no mushroom causes skin irritaion (a claim plants can not make) ok ok stepping of soap box.

ID of mushrooms is not easy and almost always requires a spore print (take cap of mushroom set on white paper cover with a glass, wait several hours remove glass carefull lift mushroom cap and the paper will show the color of the spores) its pretty much a total guess but i think your mushrooms may be in the genus Marasmius or possibly Hygrocybe.

#99223 December 13th, 2004 at 09:06 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Well, I finally found the post, but I was wrong shk shocked ,
it wasn't The plant Doctor, it was M. D. Vaden of Oregon Ooops!!!!

He's got a bunch in there, but some are not identified...
But alot of fun to look at his pictures!!!

Weezie

#99224 December 14th, 2004 at 01:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, Weezie for taking the time to find those fungus photos - they're beautiful!

I wasn't able to identify my mushrooms but saw several in the photos we also have around here. And no, I wasn't planning on eating any mushrooms that I find but I'm curious about what lives in my environment!

#99225 December 18th, 2004 at 12:27 AM
A
A
I may have given the wrong impression, NEVER put in your mouth what you are not sure of. I just ment to convay that short of eating them mushrooms cant hurt you (some seem to think so). Also I would point out that a mushroom is the fruiting part of the fungi, to pick a mushroom has no effect on the fungus (like picking a flower does not hurt the plant). While I have never gathered spores to grow mushrooma at home, I do like to see what comes up, what I can ID, and I do consider them part of my "garden". There is a strange,wonderful, and interesting world in fungi. Happy fruiting fungal fun to all!!

Link Copied to Clipboard