This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9884 May 29th, 2003 at 11:57 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Hello, again smile. I have just received a couple of mail-order holly plants (one male, and one female). They are approximately 7" tall, and seem quite delicate at the moment.

The area of the yard I would eventually like to place them in, is not safe for them rigth now. From what I've learned reviewing this site, Holly plants have delicate root systems, and do not like being disturbed.

**Could I plant them in a spot, and transplant them down the road?

**Would I be better planting them in a pot, or a pot in the ground?

**How fast do they grow?

Thanks!

#9885 June 2nd, 2003 at 03:17 PM
M
M
I'm in Ontario, canada and I planted 2 hollys 4 years ago. No luck, one died over the winter and the other in still 7" high. I planted them out in the open sun/rain. Probably my mistake. I do know someone who has 7 foot high holly however, and theirs are in a shady area next to the house, warmer soil of course in the winter so that's probably the trick in colder climates. Hope this helps.

#9886 June 6th, 2003 at 03:19 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Hi, Monty. Thanks for replying smile

You're information has been helpful. Priot to receiving it, I decided to plant them in pots, until I knew what to do. After receiving your response, I think I will keep them in the pots, until they are larger and older. I'm going to bring them indoors for the winter. But, I'll try to keep them in a cool place. Hopefully, that will work.

Link Copied to Clipboard