This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#98805 February 17th, 2006 at 09:51 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Anyone have luck growing catnip from seed? Ive tried twice using the same pack of seeds (Ferry Morse) and using a bio dome ,with a seed heating mat under it. Ive had luck sprouting everything else so far, expcept these catnip seeds. Im thinking I might just have a bad batch of seeds, I bought another brand, to try. Anyone have tips on starting catnip? Just want to grow some for a treat for my crazy cat.

#98806 February 17th, 2006 at 10:11 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'm not all that familiar with the heating pads
and indoor starting that much..

But I would say, is, if you still can't get them to start indoors, wait until later, spring, early summer and just drop some on the soil ***Like mother nature would*** and give it a go that way..

I do know that once you start them from seed,
it's the best way to grow catnip.... when trying to move established catnip, they don't grow as well as from seed...

So, don't give up hope...
*and if you do start them later, will you keep us posted....
We love cool updates angell or bad dev , that's how we learn teech !!!

#98807 February 17th, 2006 at 12:00 PM
I do know the seed should be uncovered, and germination rate on catnip seed is only about 40%, so you may want to use the whole package to get a few plants. Let us know how it turns out for you.

#98808 February 17th, 2006 at 01:11 PM
I've never tried to grow catnip from seed (probably wouldn't be able to keep the cats out of it, from the minute it sprouted), & I admit that I haven't looked this one up anywhere, but when I read Weezie's post where she said.
***Like mother nature would***
that made wonder about all that might happen to the seeds, if Mother Nature were doing it....

My thought is that perhaps it would be cold treated by nature. Duh I suggest that you try putting the seed packet in the refrigerator, to simulate a "winter" for it, & then go ahead & try again later in the spring. (Not in the crisper... you need to keep the seeds dry.)

Many seed companies don't include important germination requirements such as cold treatment (Stratification) or seed exposure to light on their seed packets, which is really a shame if it discourages a person from gardening! (You might want to read my comment about this issue in the flowers, plants and Gardening Forum/Bells of Ireland topic.)

Keep trying & good luck! thumbup

#98809 February 17th, 2006 at 01:17 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have to admit, most of the time when I referr
to "Mother Nature doing it", it's just dropping the seeds right there, on top of the soil..
like when a plant makes seeds, and dries up come fall time, and then it falls over and where the seeds lay, is where the baby sprouts..
I can't say that "Mother Nature" has a cold period in say like the South.. if you know what I mean...

But my most favoritest plants are the one's that Mother Nature does the best..

I've never tried to grow catnip from seed (probably wouldn't be able to keep the cats out of it, from the minute it sprouted)
And from my teech readings *and having plants,
both re~seed and try for YEARS to move catnip*,
that when Mother Nature puts the seed down, the cats won't abuse it much... but when you try to transplant an already established plant from somewhere's else, to a new spot, a cat, 10 miles away will make a point to come roll on that plant and pull it out and make it disappear...
The seeded one, will stay there, an occasional roll, or nap on a plant, but usually left intact.
*Well, that's with the 5 cats we used to have* wink :rolleyes:

#98810 February 17th, 2006 at 01:58 PM
O
O
I seeded some catnip successfully a few years back, but I don't remember doing anything special. I used bottom heat, and sowed on the surface and placed under lights immediately. I don't think I got very many plants, but it was enough. Now I never have to reseed, but I sure have to weed out the seedlings laugh

#98811 February 17th, 2006 at 07:07 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
May I suggest you look into catmint instead or in addition to catnip? Catmint is a perennial, where catnip is an annual, and every cat I have ever given any to just loves it! thumbup

#98812 February 17th, 2006 at 08:21 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
DeepCreekLake,
I was thinking, what kind of soil did you
use to do your seeds in????
That may be a big factor....

Like Terry said, they don't have any problem re~seeding... and I got to thinking, "ain't that the truth"... and was thinking on where ours' survives the most is on just plain gravelly type dirt.. stones and plain dirt...
***no fancy dirt/soil required for those plants,
they are very tough in the yucky soils and the good type soils like a Miracle Grow may be too rich for them???????????? Duh

#98813 February 17th, 2006 at 08:22 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
***Sarah, when you say....
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by barleychown:
<strong> May I suggest you look into catmint instead or in addition to catnip? Catmint is a perennial, where catnip is an annual, and every cat I have ever given any to just loves it! Duh gab

#98814 February 17th, 2006 at 09:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Catnip is a perennial in zone 8. I grow catnip outdoors in containers so they don't take over. In mild winters the plants stay green throughout the entire winter, otherwise some of the leaves die down to be replaced by new growth within a few weeks.

#98815 February 17th, 2006 at 09:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like Weezie, I've never started catnip from seeds indoors. My limited indoor space is reserved for seeds that are more difficult to germinate or grow slowly. As Weezie and Terry have already stated, no special requirements are necessary for growing catnip from seed.

After the novelty of free access to catnip wore off, my cat now munches on the plants without decimating them, saving me from having to prune. laugh

#98816 February 18th, 2006 at 04:09 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I used potting soil,- it has feeders in it. Ive had very successfull germination of everything else I started this year, including tiny snap dragon seeds. I am growing the catnip in a small flower pot (3"). My mom used to grow it in pots with luck for cats we had growing up. Just wanted to grow a pot of it to break of pieces to give to the cat as a treat. He is not a jumper, and dosnt climb tables or anything so im not worried about him getting into the pot. I tried again using a different brand (Plantation) and will see how it goes.

#98817 February 18th, 2006 at 04:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Please keep us posted...

It might just be the dirt, but like I said before,
don't give up... try it outdoors come spring/summer and see how that goes..

once you have it, you'll have it!!

#98818 February 23rd, 2006 at 08:38 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Just an update, there is now a single catnip plant sprouting from the pot, in the seed flat! Ive changed to another brand of catnip, and it seemed to have had better luck. I dont know if it was one of the older seeds in the soil that decided to sprout or not.....

#98819 February 23rd, 2006 at 12:06 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Weezie, yes! They love the catmint just as much, if not more. I have it in a wide, shallow dish and the cats actually climb in and sleep on it, roll on it, and munch on it. thumbup

Deepcreeklake...Way to go! I hope more start for you. flw

#98820 February 24th, 2006 at 06:37 AM
clp Great news to hear at least one has sprouted!!!!

#98821 February 25th, 2006 at 02:46 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by DeepCreekLake:
Just an update, there is now a single catnip plant sprouting from the pot, in the seed flat!
That's great news..
And Thanks for the grinnnn clp

#98822 February 26th, 2006 at 09:21 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Just to add another one sprouted up in the pot.. must have been bums seeds the first time!

#98823 February 26th, 2006 at 12:00 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
May I add another one to this also,
*(I came acrossed this info reading one of my Herbel Remedies' book while waiting for my son's Doct, to come in and take a look at him..
and accidently left my book there..so, I just got it back)*
But to add another one to the catnip craze that cats are supposed to like is Valerian ~>Valerianna officinalis<~~
It says, "Much like Catnip, Valerian excites felines but calms human beings.."

So maybe someone would like to try that too..

And P/S CONGRATS on another seedling poppin' up
for you.. That is exciting..

DCL, Where did you get the first set of seeds????

#98824 February 26th, 2006 at 12:47 PM
clp clp clp That is great news DeepCreek

#98825 February 27th, 2006 at 05:07 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Bought the first set at Walmart.. they were Walmart brand- but are actually Ferry Morse. The 2nd set I bought at walmart too, but they were Plantation brand. I havent had problems with the other walmart/ferrymorse brand seeds just that particular one, and they do have a guarantee.

#98826 February 27th, 2006 at 05:11 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You should take the package back and tell
them they didn't sprout...
And you got another kind, did the same thing
and the second set sprouted...

And you'd like your money back...

It's worth a shot, they should do something for you after all.. I would think...

#98827 February 27th, 2006 at 09:13 AM
D
OP Offline
D
The seeds were only 97 cents, almost not worth dealing with, lol. That being said Ferry morses motto is "Guaranteed to grow".. I think thats a pretty bold statement considering theres alot of factors to grow.

#98828 February 27th, 2006 at 09:21 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I would take that as, guarnteed, that eventually if you get enough seed packages you'll get something to grow...

I have had good luck with that line..
Can't remember any stinkers...

#98829 May 30th, 2006 at 04:17 AM
M
M
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has problems starting catnip from seed! It's a weed after all - if I can't even grow a weed....!!!!! shocked laugh

Indoors or outdoors, I have problems with them! I'm glad to hear that's just the nature of the seed!

My seed pkg says to cover with 1/4 inch soil. I wondered about that; I just sifted some dirt over them this year and I think one plant has sprouted. Next time, I won't put any soil on them and see if I have better luck! kit

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard