This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98594 August 21st, 2004 at 10:11 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Is this Poison Ivy???
Or Poison "Something"?????

It was HUGE, growing beside my deck.
It was so pretty I left it there...
until it crowded my dahlias out.
It had little green berries that turned dark purple.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cindy

#98595 August 22nd, 2004 at 02:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It kinda looks like virginia creeper(woodbine family) to me. They can have 3-5 leaflets and have blue-black berries. In the wintertime the leaves will turn red.

Karen grinnnn

#98596 August 22nd, 2004 at 03:39 PM
Meg Offline
Cindy, I believe this is poison ivy.. found it growing between my fence and the neighbor's fence.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And as the saying goes... "leaves of three, leave them be." I wouldn't touch yours without gloves, just in case. teech

Meg

#98597 August 22nd, 2004 at 04:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Check this site out(good info)

poison ivy and lookalikes

Karen grinnnn

#98598 August 22nd, 2004 at 05:06 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Well, whatever it is has about killed me! laugh

Not just the usual little poison ivy bumps that itch...
...these are BIG, like a million mosquito bites all over my arms, legs, and hands! eek You talk about ITCHING!!!
Unfortunately, I waded into it and cut it down and pulled it out before I even thought about it being something ITCHY!

Cindy

#98599 August 22nd, 2004 at 06:19 PM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
awwwwwwwwww frown I'd give ya a hug, but i don't wana get it >.< *gives ms. cindy a virtual hug from across the country* There ya go ^.^ Use pleanty of calamine lotion, and stuff like that smile And when it starts to ooze, make sure it doesn't get on any other part of ur body, cuz you'll get bumps there too!

#98600 August 22nd, 2004 at 09:07 PM
P
P
CICUTA sp. or CICUTA maculata???

Water Hemlock 1?

Water Hemlock 2?

*purple tinged stem.

*veins in the leaves ends at the notches of serrated leaves.

#98601 August 23rd, 2004 at 04:14 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
This has me really corn-fused now! nutz
It looks just like this photo in Papito's link, but only had 3 leaves. Even the white flowers look the same.
water hemlock photo

Whatever it is, it has to be the plant that gave me the itchy bumps, because I haven't been this intimate with any other mystery plant lately! The day I dove into it I was extremely sweaty, and after cutting and pulling on this plant I was burning and tingling all over. (Not a GOOD "burning and tingling", tho'! laugh )

I'm still looking on the link Karen posted.

Cindy

#98602 August 23rd, 2004 at 06:36 PM
B
B
There is a new over-the-counter product (came out last year) that treats poison ivy, etc, that is even a few days old. Quite expensive, though. Also,I'd recommend getting yourself a bottle of TECNU and just keep it around. Whenever I'm around a suspicious-looking plant, and when I have to pull out poison ivy, I wash down with it to clean the oils off my skin. Usually, with these reactions, subsequent ones are worse, and you may need a prescription. If you see any jewelweed around, there's a chance you have poison ivy. A relative of mine began making himself jewelweed tea every season to ward off its effects. Some say rubbing with Jewelweed also helps. Good luck with the outbreak. Even one of those little blisters can be torture.

Link Copied to Clipboard