This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9826 September 10th, 2003 at 05:34 PM
Nikkal Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I finally got the greenhouse pics uploaded to webshots! There's a little more to be done, but nothing major.
Please let me know what you think...good, bad, or otherwise! wink

Here's the link:
greenhouse construction

Nikkal

#9827 September 10th, 2003 at 06:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What I think?! shocked I am Jealous! eek Nah, not really, but I would like the plans... I think it is great and I am very happy for you!!! laugh :p smile laugh

#9828 September 10th, 2003 at 06:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it looks terrific!!!! You'll have so many plants growing in there!!!! I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. How long has it taken you to finish it??? From start to finish? smile

#9829 September 10th, 2003 at 06:23 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Nikkal,
Well, I am JEALOUS!!
And, my husband said he wants to marry you
if you did that all by your self!!! LOL

THAT IS AWESOME, I HOPE YOU GAVE YOUR
SELF ONE HUGE PAT ON YOUR BACK????????

I think you 've done great, and the camera
shots were the icing on the cake!!!!!

(I didn't see YOUR picture though)

Now, do you get snow, cold~frigid winters?
Will you have to replace the plastic
every so many years? That's a factor I have to
deal into the mix. I'll get one soon!!
But will have to do more research on it!!

Again, Thank~You for the great pictures!!!
You did a GREAT JOB!!!
Weezie
thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup

#9830 September 10th, 2003 at 07:11 PM
Nikkal Offline OP
OP Offline
Aw, thanks, y'all - I'm so prowwwddd! shocked (southern thing)

Jiffy, give me a day or two (and please remind me if I should forget) and I'll send ya the plans, and some of the details.

Yeah, flower, I get the "itch" about Jan 1st, this year, it'll be nice not to have the house taken over by seedlings and growlights! wink

Well, Loz, I started it on Aug 31st, and finished it yesterday (the 9th). Of course, I had irritating little interruptions (rain, work, and life in general) during this time. I still have to dig a trench to bury the excess plastic in the ground to make it more airtight, and build some benches, but the main construction is done.

Weezie, isn't that just like a man? Wants to marry ya AFTER you've done all the work! laugh laugh laugh And yes, every last little bit of it was done with these 2 hands, wouldn't even let anyone else in the yard till I was through! (actually, I was afraid I'd do something wrong and they'd get hurt eek )
I can't take my own picture, my arms aren't long enough!
We very rarely get snow, or really cold weather. If we did, there's some things I might have done a little differently. The plastic is only rated for one year by the manufacturer, but I've talked to several people here who say it will last 2-3 yrs, due to our mild weather. I'm actually more interested to see how it holds up to our heat in the summer. Considering the cost of the covering, if it lasts 2 yrs it will be worth the price, and easy enough to replace.

Tell your husband I'll be glad to send him the plans and instructions on exactly how to build you one!!! wink wink

Nikkal

#9831 September 10th, 2003 at 07:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nikkal, that didn't take you long at all, especially considering all the joy you'll get out of having it......not bad....see we don't always need men to do these things...even thought a lot of men think we are helpless women...I actually enjoy putting things together...My brother in law couldn't figure out how to put their babys crib together so I did it for him......hope you show us some pics of it when you get all your plants going inside there..... wavey

#9832 September 10th, 2003 at 07:42 PM
Nikkal Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, Loz, if you really insist, (that's it, twist my arm) wink I'll post regular update pics of what's "growing on" in the greenhouse! laugh laugh laugh

Nikkal

#9833 September 10th, 2003 at 08:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I insist....can you feel me twisting your arm right now....well I have the feeling I don't have to twist too hard so I'll loosen my grip a little.... laugh Honestly, I'd love to see the fruits of your labor......keep us posted. thumbup

#9834 September 14th, 2003 at 05:15 AM
S
S
Wow!! I'm impressed and jealous!! Great job.

#9835 September 15th, 2003 at 06:24 AM
S
S
Oh, I like it! Wanna come build one for me? laugh I'm hoping to get one put up before too long, and I can't wait! That's a nice greenhouse, though, great job! Enjoy it! wavey

#9836 September 17th, 2003 at 06:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'm wondering about something along the lines of
your green house for the top of my raised beds for early planting and for early frosts in my area???
Got any ideas?
I'd like to be able to put them on hinges,
or to be able to put them on in sections???
Duh
Very interesting!!
Weezie

#9837 September 20th, 2003 at 06:30 PM
Nikkal Offline OP
OP Offline
Weezie, read your post about "greenhouses" for the raised beds, I'm not ignoring your question, things have just been a little crazy around here! :rolleyes:
I've got a couple of ideas in my head, let me think a bit more, I think I might have something! thumbup

Nikkal

#9838 September 20th, 2003 at 07:14 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Nikkal,
No problem....
Things are always crazy here,
I can relate!!
No big hurry, spring time is a bit aways!!!

But I would love something like that,
The hubby and I were just talking about it,
Would have to make it in sections for the
2 beds that are 4 ft wide by 20 ft long
and 18" high. The other 3 are 4 ft wide
10 ft long and 18" high.
They would have to be made in 5 ft sections......
2 ends for the long ones with 2 middle sections and the shorter ones with just 2 end ones.
What a green house that would be...
I wouldn't need a real seperate one, because the raised beds would be used as the green house.
And oh, it would extend my growing season into the frosts, instead of having to tarp everything down......
What a pain in butt that is..........
We have been thinking about it,
just trying to bounce ideas around!!!!

If we ever got the greenhouse here, we'd have to do glass because of the winter weather and the cold freezing winds on it, it'd be shredded in a few seasons......................................
And with a smaller yard, well between the two yards there's alot of space but we like to keep it open for the boys to play and fly kites and ride bikes and put up a volley ball net and not close it in tooooooooooooo much!!!!

Thanks for thinking of me!!!
wavey wavey wavey
Weezie

#9839 September 21st, 2003 at 11:55 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
WAY TO GO NIKKAL wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard